Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

zebastein wrote: »
    https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

There are 1038 less cases than positive swabs over the last 31days (~6% of positive swabs do not convert into a positive case), so please explain the difference if that is not how it works at all and why the numbers differ at all.

Some people get tested more that once a few days apart to see if they still have the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

timmyntc wrote: »
    Thats all well and good - but to use a fatality rate for the general population that includes many terminally ill people is fairly disingenuous.

The current fatality rate of covid is what? 2% of cases?
    How many of those people were terminally ill? Because that skews the figures and greatly exaggerates the risk of death to people who are not terminally ill.
    It's useful data gathering. How exactly is it greatly exaggerating the risk of death to people who are not terminally ill?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

zebastein wrote: »
    https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

There are 1038 less cases than positive swabs over the last 31days (~6% of positive swabs do not convert into a positive case), so please explain the difference if that is not how it works at all and why the numbers differ at all.

The initial post was about daily swabs v cases and how/why they differ. i.e yesterday about 100 out maybe a little more, you'll probably see most of these reported today. Note the word most, this is what was explained.

By your reply you'd think everyone is tested multiple times. In general positive cases are tested only once, some will be tested twice if there was an insufficient reading during the lab process but it's not near as widespread as your post would lead you to believe. After data verification cases are de-notified if required.

I'm sure you know all this though, it's been brought up on this thread many times but seems to be a sticking point for covid conspiracy theories when discussing cases v swabs.

I honestly don't know why I've bothered trying to explain it because I know what way this conversation is going, it's played out on thread multiple times, false positives, the number of cycles etc. Anyway I won't discuss it further as there's a thread for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It kind of feels like we're veering towards territory that the terminally ill who get covid or in a car accident shouldn't get medical treatment for those mishaps.

They're (I hate even using they like they're a sub group or something) still part of our society. Everyone knows about the relationship of age and covid mortality by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Having the full picture re. cause of death and underlying conditions is definitely an eye-opener.
    Reading the info below should reassure young people and healthy people about their own risk.

"Of the 230 deaths notified, 228 (99pc) had underlying conditions: 132 (57pc) cardiovascular (including hypertension); 120 (52pc) dementia; 58 (25pc) respiratory; 36 (16pc) oncological; 30 (13pc) neurological; 25 (11pc) diabetes; and 23 (10pc) renal."

link here https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mayo-coroner-questions-nphets-figures-for-covid-deaths-40326117.html

I question the HPSC's representation of some of the data, specifically the category of BMI greater than or = 40.
    Anything over 30 is obese, so why does the data not account for those people.
    I think weight and other underlying conditions are being glossed over, and outcomes could be much improved with greater awareness.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    It kind of feels like we're veering towards territory that the terminally ill who get covid or in a car accident shouldn't get medical treatment for those mishaps.

They're (I hate even using they like they're a sub group or something) still part of our society. Everyone knows about the relationship of age and covid mortality by now.

not at all, nobody is saying that but if a cancer has not been diagnosed due to backlogs or delays, then it falls under the "treatment deferred is treatment denied" umbrella, so everybody in this case will be denied medical treatment, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Some people get tested more that once a few days apart to see if they still have the virus

That generally only happens in hospital settings if the person is being released from hospital (in particular it should be done when going to LTCF) or moved ward etc.

In the community someone who gets a positive swab generally only gets 1 swab unless the analysis of the swab returns a weak result then they are re-tested. In this case, data verification can result in a de-notified case for example.

rusty cole wrote: »
    not at all, nobody is saying that but if a cancer has not been diagnosed due to backlogs or delays, then it falls under the "treatment deferred is treatment denied" umbrella, so everybody in this case will be denied medical treatment, do you think?

They kind of are saying it indirectly. Terminally ill people even if they are going to die a few months from now still require medical treatment in the short term for COVID. Every resource you devote to a COVID patient is one you can't devote to standard healthcare. The more COVID patients you have the less healthcare you have for everyone else. Hence, why it was so important to keep the infection controlled.

They kind of are saying it indirectly. Terminally ill people even if they are going to die a few months from now still require medical treatment in the short term for COVID. Every resource you devote to a COVID patient is one you can't devote to standard healthcare. The more COVID patients you have the less healthcare you have for everyone else. Hence, why it was so important to keep the infection controlled.

This may be true in acute settings where hospitals are overrun - but they are not.
    And primary care is non-existent at the moment.
    Most GPs are only doing "tele-medicine" which is not fit for purpose.
    I know a number of people who can't get bloods etc. taken so have decided to change GPs in the hope of actually being seen and examined.
    I know of another consultant radiologist who's had numerous patients in for scans that haven't been examined at all by their referring GP.

We have done our bit to protect the health service, it's time for the HSE to protect us now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This may be true in acute settings where hospitals are overrun - but they are not.
    And primary care is non-existent at the moment.
    Most GPs are only doing "tele-medicine" which is not fit for purpose.
    I know a number of people who can't get bloods etc. taken so have decided to change GPs in the hope of actually being seen and examined.
    I know of another consultant radiologist who's had numerous patients in for scans that haven't been examined at all by their referring GP.

We have done our bit to protect the health service, it's time for the HSE to protect us now.

My GP has pretty much reopened fully. Oh has been there in person twice this past week and is getting bloods done soon

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    My GP has pretty much reopened fully. Oh has been there in person twice this past week and is getting bloods done soon

You are lucky. I have to say, my own GP has been good, but I have friends and family who've been told not to come in.
    I know a few consultants (relatives) who have had referrals from GPs based on phonecalls rather than proper consultations.

Some GPs have been far from adequate in the service they've provided. Sadly this has continued with their vaccinations as well. The even sadder part is unlike most businesses the customers need them so badly they will mostly get away with providing such a half assed service. Topic for another thread. COVID just made all these problems a whole lot worse.

Only fair though I offset that negativity in my first paragraph by stating that other GP practices have gone beyond and above to facilitate their patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Mine too . Have got appointments in person as I needed them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

GP's are getting bombarded with phonecalls about vaccine this and covid that though

I'd be a bad GP, i'd get tired of it and tell them the new variant spreads though de 3g now .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mine too . Have got appointments in person as I needed them

When the oh was in last week they actually said they were having trouble getting people to physically attend!

And ordinarily pre Covid this would have been a very busy practice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

No we really really aren't, and it's pretty ridiculous that you've inferred it from those posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,856 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

403 cases no deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    403 cases no deaths

Love a 0 day

• Registered Users Posts: 82,872 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Time to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

3 cases of the Indian variant have been identified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    403 cases no deaths

7-day average in cases 373, it was 413 last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

wadacrack wrote: »
    Zara King: can you give any indications when hairdressing/weddings/ maternity etc....

Glynn: I cant give a recommendation

King: But Can you....

Rinse and repeat for about 18 months of this pandemic.

Repetition gets annoying. I can't remember any other reporters asking about other restricted events repeatedly. Her questions are useful basic at best and theirs no real insight to them

She's back...persistent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Our GP has been fully open all along and appointments were very easy to get.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

wadacrack wrote: »
    She's back...persistent

After Ronan Glynn asked her to ask him again on Monday.

You know this. I told you this. But you post in bad faith anyway.

Think you have an issue with Zara herself, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Nationally, there were 174 cases in Dublin, 34 in Meath, 20 in Kildare, 18 in Mayo, 16 in Cork and the remaining 141 cases are spread across 20 other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

3 cases of the Indian variant have been identified.

We’re doomed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

We’re doomed!!!!

Stock up on toilet roll.

We’re doomed!!!!

If you were watching the briefing you’d hear Cillian De Gascun trying to do the complete opposite of that.

Faugheen wrote: »
    If you were watching the briefing you’d hear Cillian De Gascun trying to do the complete opposite of that.

He's really trying his best so is Glynn.
    Glynn's saying it's disproportionate reporting in the media. I hope rte snippet that bit.

I'm betting headline will be 3 Indian cases though. :(

• Advertisement

He's really trying his best so is Glynn.
    Glynn's saying it's disproportionate reporting in the media. I hope rte snippet that bit.

I'm betting headline will be 3 Indian cases though. :(

Yep. But people here will only look at what RTE are saying while giving out about them.

If only they listened to me and made the effort to inform themselves by listening to what NPHET has to say rather than whipping themselves up into a frenzy after reading the slant in an article.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement