Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    It took of in Derry first for a few weeks before it did in donegal back in September. My point is it has remained high in donegal throughout even when derry was very low.

Maybe Donegal ppl mix with Less regard to the restrictions?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Something the naysayers should consider.

They’ve just eased restrictions on nursing home visiting. More routine visits allowed per week.

I know people are getting pent up on Holohan saying the usual bits but consider that they aren’t slowing down, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I really don't know the f is going on in Donegal. Back in September the outbreak started in Derry/Strabane and spread in to Donegal. Since late January its been much lower in the North yet Donegal has remained at the top or near the top of the incidence table throughout. Could it be a different variant? Its such a rural county its just mad.

They wont follow the rules.

That's why .

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Ultimately, when schools close for the summer, numbers will dramatically reduce. It is at that point then that hopefully some semblance of a summer can be saved. I just hope the government can surprise us by reacting quickly in July to the obvious changes in trajectory then. If not this summer will just be another write off as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

When are the schools closed this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

JP100 wrote: »
    Aye! Good oul constructive ambiguity going on!!

That much maligned Zara King I think was the one pushing it.

Schools then had the most outbreaks this week.

Glynn had to defend it though

• Registered Users Posts: 38,501 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Either Way i think there needs to be a roadmap and a plan next week or in June. None of this 'we'll see' type stuff

If nphet and the government think that the Irish public and businesses who have closed since the start of the year, will accept level 5 restrictions continuing in May and beyond, then they clearly are not living in the real world.

People’s adherence and forbearance to lockdown has well and truly passed its sell by date. Agreed with the sentiments that the return of dr holohan, a cautious and conservative guy in nature, is bad news for those seeking significant easing of restrictions come May 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Do we think it’s a coincidence that Dr. Holohan returned the week the government said they were doing the map for May/June/July?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

If nphet and the government think that the Irish public and businesses who have closed since the start of the year, will accept level 5 restrictions continuing in May and beyond, then they clearly are not living in the real world.

They will though, the country has accepted the restrictions for more than a year theres not a chance in hell there will be any mass breaking of guidelines or opening of shops or pubs early against the law.

The salon in Balbriggan is proof enough not 1 other business had the balls to open in unity with that place and everyone watched cowardly as she was hauled to the Garda station, Ireland is not a nation of mass dissent the last time I seen anyone take it to the government was the pensioners over medical cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They will though, the country has accepted the restrictions for more than a year theres not a chance in hell there will be any mass breaking of guidelines or opening of shops or pubs early against the law.

The salon in Balbriggan is proof enough not 1 other business had the balls to open in unity with that place and everyone watched cowardly as she was hauled to the Garda station, Ireland is not a nation of mass dissent the last time I seen anyone take it to the government was the pensioners over medical cards.

I thought her issue was income, not some noble stand against all of these restrictions.

exitfee wrote: »
    Yeah it's true, May = Level 5, June = L4.5, July =L4, August = L3.5

Will be September by the time we get to level 3 that we had in December with gyms, indoor dining, larger weddings etc

Level 2 and 1 might not even happen this year, all my opinion.

Who will be most impacted, people or humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

People’s adherence and forbearance to lockdown has well and truly passed its sell by date. Agreed with the sentiments that the return of dr holohan, a cautious and conservative guy in nature, is bad news for those seeking significant easing of restrictions come May 5th.

People saying this since last year.. just 2 more weeks of lockdown and business will shut. Let's be honest we will accept whatever they tell us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

TheDoctor wrote: »
    That much maligned Zara King I think was the one pushing it.

Schools then had the most outbreaks this week.

Glynn had to defend it though

There's alot of unnecessary snobbery directed at Zara King and particularly so on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP100 wrote: »
    There's alot of unnecessary snobbery directed at Zara King and particularly so on this forum.
    It's not snobbery to say that she has her own special topics nor is it snobbery to offer an opinion that she is not a very good journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You forgot about water fairies and dublin water street gig... Not that long ago, could be easily repeated this time by younger attendees who are starting to get bored with just house parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,881 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Is golf starting back in May or is that next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

patnor1011 wrote: »
    You forgot about water fairies and dublin water street gig... Not that long ago, could be easily repeated this time by younger attendees who are starting to get bored with just house parties.

If a year of level 5 closed business and pubs isnt enough to get people to demand reopening well then nothing will I'm afraid, its just how Ireland is.

In fairness , and I want hairdressers open ,as do all my colleagues and friends , the consensus was that she was a showboating eejit who was risking her business further by breaking what most people accepted as reasonable at the time .
    She was supported by some of the " less stable political agitators " , shall we call them politely .
    You and others underestimate the amount of people who support level 5 after what transpired at Christmas.
    Easy when numbers are lower now to try to rewrite the story .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see Leo is already getting the excuses in for why we won't reach Harris's target of 70% of adults vaccinated in June.

I mean, we knew it was horseshit when he said it, but you think they could have left it more than 2 days before starting to rewrite the narrative.

I suppose they do have form though, as I recall the living with covid plan didn't even last those 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Horrendous scenes in India

Totally out of control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Evidence of what exactly "long covid" means is coming to light.
    Doesn't exactly make for light reading.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03553-9
    One of the largest studies of Covid-19 “long haulers” has proved what many doctors suspected: Not only are many patients suffering a raft of health problems six months after infection, they’re also at significantly greater risk of dying.

Survivors had a 59% increased risk of dying within six months after contracting the SARS-CoV-2 virus, researchers reported Thursday in the journal Nature. The excess mortality translates into about 8 extra deaths per 1,000 patients -- worsening the pandemic’s hidden toll amid growing recognition that many patients require readmission, and some die, weeks after the viral infection abates.

“When we are looking at the acute phase, we’re only pretty much looking at the tip of the iceberg,” said Ziyad Al-Aly, chief of the research and development service at the St. Louis VA Medical Center in Missouri, who led the study. “We’re starting to see a little bit beneath that iceberg, and it’s really alarming.”

Al-Aly and his colleagues documented the cascade of debilitating effects that plague survivors months after diagnosis, from blood clots, stroke, diabetes and breathing difficulties to heart, liver and kidney damage, depression, anxiety and memory loss. They also found the risk of complications was far higher than with the flu.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-22/-long-hauler-study-shows-covid-can-kill-months-after-infection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Totally out of control

Anything to show us? Or are we all supposed to go 'oh my god' on your word alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Anything to show us? Or are we all supposed to go 'oh my god' on your word alone?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/apr/22/coronavirus-live-news-india-hits-global-record-of-314835-new-cases-us-passes-200m-vaccines

Report at 20:18

Totally out of control

Found the BBC newsreport very hard to watch

Watch the video if not squeamish. It's truly horrific there right now.

https://twitter.com/NicolaCareem/status/1384979001324748805?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Yeah it's true, May = Level 5, June = L4.5, July =L4, August = L3.5

Will be September by the time we get to level 3 that we had in December with gyms, indoor dining, larger weddings etc

Level 2 and 1 might not even happen this year, all my opinion.

We are basically in level 4 right now

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dc29a-level-4/

May will be basically Level 3.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/

All going well June and July will be level 2

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/18e18-level-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If a year of level 5 closed business and pubs isnt enough to get people to demand reopening well then nothing will I'm afraid, its just how Ireland is.

Agreed. Previous generations nearly lost the head when the pub was closed for Good Friday. Now the fight has been slowly beaten out of people :D

News reporter didn't seem too concerned a deadly disease was present

Amazing how having a respirator on and standing outside can make you feel safe.

Or maybe they were all crisis actors like the RTE documentary?

I know which one you think is more likely.

In fairness, hard to tell how she was feeling behind the massive masks though.

551040.png

• Advertisement

Infection through eyes as you know is very possible

She felt safe there, fair play to her

Brave woman

Yeah sorry if I read you wrong. Fair play to her. It said people wanted their story to be heard. Must be horrific.

Good article of what's going o from ft. The death rate is likely way underestimated.
    https://www.ft.com/content/683914a3-134f-40b6-989b-21e0ba1dc403
    A Financial Times analysis also points to under-reporting of deaths. Local news reports for seven districts across the states of Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar show that while at least 1,833 people are known to have died of Covid-19 in recent days, based mainly on cremations, only 228 have been officially reported. 

551045.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement