Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Glad there was no bowing to pressure to allow large crowds at matches before time.

Germany & Spain likewise told UEFA where to go over their demands for spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That was inevitable, we were not going to be in a position to properly manage the crowd situation at the required time. Even if we were, I doubt the authorities would welcome the additional responsibility anyway.

An abundance of caution and a dearth of planning ability means that we ran away from the hope of managing a football tournament.

Although it's a loss for sport, it is probably for the best, we would have made a balls of it (excuse the pun) anyway.

I thought it was for the best to cancel, I then read the article and realised there is 12 other countries hosting.
    That is a little depressing besides Israel and the UK's great vaccine rollout what are the others doing that they can host games with people in attendance that we cant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why is it that Ireland are seemingly the only country in Europe that's not able to host games for the Euros at a reduced capacity?

I know it's a small issue, but it really bugs me.

What makes us different from everywhere else?

We've got one of the lowest incidence rates in the continent. Hence we should be one of the most likely to host games, not the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

166 in hospital this morning.

48 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

lawred2 wrote: »
    :D

Really? Not even London? Could they have tried to get any further away?

The 3 group stage matches have been moved to St. Petersburg and the last 16 match scheduled for Dublin has been moved to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Whatever about people desperately needing haircuts and pints, complaining about a football match being cancelled seems to verge on forgetting there is actually a pandemic going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

seamus wrote: »
    Glad there was no bowing to pressure to allow large crowds at matches before time.

Germany & Spain likewise told UEFA where to go over their demands for spectators.

no fans at all at games in Germany or Spain?

state/taxpayer can expect to dig even deeper now to keep the FAI afloat...

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm last night (a bit late)

Total 165 (down from 172 night before)
    ICU 48 (up from 47 night before - 1 death)

Last Thursday
    Total 192
    ICU 50

Lowest total numbers in hospital this year.

Highest Mater - 18 people
    24/29 with 10 or less people

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Ficheall wrote: »
    Whatever about people desperately needing haircuts and pints, complaining about a football match being cancelled seems to verge on forgetting there is actually a pandemic going on..

The pandemic has no clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Did they? Cos from what I can see Bilbao games moved to Sevilla (so still in Spain) and Munich is still happening. We're actually the only one to say no completely as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Allinall wrote: »
    That's not really answering the question, though.

As far as I am aware, we are administering 95-97% of vaccines within one week of receipt.

That's what people are saying, not sure how that's possible if we have the lowest vaccination rate in Western Europe for the last two weeks.

no fans at all at games in Germany or Spain?

I'm just reading now...

Bilbao out with Dublin

But Munich all good. I don't understand the different treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭josip

On second thought, probably more useful is the chart for just first vaxxes - forgive my 1337 mspaint skillz.

First vax only, red has been administered, green is the targeted 80%. (Again, these were Jan's predictions, the vaxxed groupings aren't accurate, just using it for total numbers because it's just an easy chart to mess with; and it will be inaccurate near the end of the yellow because there should be a higher percentage of seconds etc.)

551089.png

Are you saying that they can vaccinate 80% of the adult population without vaccinating anyone between 18 and 54?
    That doesn't sound right.

titan18 wrote: »
    Did they? Cos from what I can see Bilbao games moved to Sevilla (so still in Spain) and Munich is still happening. We're actually the only one to say no completely as a country.

ah ok

so the only country to be dumped completely is Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm just reading now...

Bilbao out with Dublin

But Munich all good. I don't understand the different treatment!

Bilbao has moved to Sevilla, and Munich are allowing fans now as they can allow for 14,500 fans in the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

Isn't the issue more that other nations nearby are able to have all of these things at this time and we seem to be the only country that isn't.

As far as I can tell the UK still had click and collect available all the way through their recent lockdown yet we are sitting over here still unable to order something and just go and pick it up.

The football is the most laughable situation of all. 12 countries across Europe all able to host matches. Here we are still unable to sort ourselves out.

Its OK for us to be so far behind because football isn't important?

josip wrote: »
    Are you saying that they can vaccinate 80% of the adult population without vaccinating anyone between 18 and 54?
    That doesn't sound right.
    I am not. I am just doing some colouring in.
    This was FG's original chart, and yes, it was questionable.

My colouring in was just based on the assumption that each yellow block was the same size - it's probably best to ignore the x-axis "labels" entirely.
    Will amend that accordingly if I ever post similar again.

titan18 wrote: »
    Bilbao has moved to Sevilla, and Munich are allowing fans now as they can allow for 14,500 fans in the stadium.

They must had agreed to that at the last minute.

Isn't the issue more that other nations nearby are able to have all of these things at this time and we seem to be the only country that isn't.

As far as I can tell the UK still had click and collect available all the way through their recent lockdown yet we are sitting over here still unable to order something and just go and pick it up.

The football is the most laughable situation of all. 12 countries across Europe all able to host matches. Here we are still unable to sort ourselves out.

I think the argument is that all these other countries don't care about people's lives.

• Advertisement

I think the argument is that all these other countries don't care about people's lives.

They are all trying to kill their vaccinated grannies!!!

ah ok

so the only country to be dumped completely is Ireland!

That's the point, it's damning.

JP100 wrote: »
    That's the point, it's damning.

Tony will be happy anyway. Less alcohol consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

In fairness and regardless of football, no two countries will be at the same stage in their pandemic or progress through their pandemic at the same pace. Our low ICU capacity has been a millstone around our necks all the way through this. We opened in December when lots were shutting down, we shut down in October when others weren't. Everyone has been doing it slightly differently.

I'd definitely agree our vaccines are slow, and would agree on click and collect - I just meant that a football match seems like it should be pretty far down the list of things we should prioritise "reopening" from a risk/reward point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Glad we are the only nation out of 12 who are unable to host matches.

The thought of those eleven other nations making moves to safely allow people to enjoy an event and to get out of lockdown and enjoy their lives just makes me laugh. The fools!

Are we out of touch?
    No, it's the rest of Europe who are wrong!

You can't even begin to imagine how angry I would have been watching people allowed to get out there and have a good time and enjoy themselves with a nice and safe and socially distanced (25% capacity) football match.

When the pubs finally open it will destroy me.

Perpetual laggards paralyzed by risk averse cowards

Yeah, I was just thinking that. Glad we are the only nation out of 12 who are unable to host matches.

The thought of those eleven other nations making moves to safely allow people to enjoy an event and to get out of lockdown and enjoy their lives just makes me laugh. The fools!

Are we out of touch?
    No, it's the rest of Europe who are wrong!

You can't even begin to imagine how angry I would have been watching people allowed to get out there and have a good time and enjoy themselves with a nice and safe and socially distanced (25% capacity) football match.

When the pubs finally open it will destroy me.

Hold firm

• Advertisement

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hold firm

Next two weeks are crucial

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement