Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

6 countries is most of Europe now?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'd definitely agree our vaccines are slow, and would agree on click and collect - I just meant that a football match seems like it should be pretty far down the list of things we should prioritise "reopening" from a risk/reward point of view.

It's about looking at the bigger picture and it's damning that we are the only host country unable to host matches over the summer. It really tells you where we're at presently vis-a-vis our neighbouring countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Not that it justifies the decision but purely from a tournament perspective, the fact that we are not in it made it a bit easier for them to let it go. In saying that, Poland would have been there which is disappointing for the many Poles living here who would have loved to have gone to the games. If we had got through, and games were taken away then, whole other ball game..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

JP100 wrote: »
    It's about looking at the bigger picture and it's damning that we are the only host country unable to host matches over the summer. It really tells you where we're at presently vis-a-vis all of our neighbouring countries.

Yup, the rest of Europe will be travelling and attending matches and we probably won't even have outdoor dining open as NPHET keep on telling us 2 more weeks and we're not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

titan18 wrote: »
    Did they? Cos from what I can see Bilbao games moved to Sevilla (so still in Spain) and Munich is still happening. We're actually the only one to say no completely as a country.
    An earlier version of the RTE article said that Bilbao and Munich had lost their games. I see it's been revised.

Nevertheless, I have no issue with this at all really. Why other countries are doing it and we're not can be explained by money. We're small fry in UEFA terms and the risk posed by hosting these games doesn't outweigh the benefit to us.

The rest of the EU has been willing to take bigger risks in this pandemic, and they've paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

As far as I can tell the UK still had click and collect available all the way through their recent lockdown yet we are sitting over here still unable to order something and just go and pick it up.

Ah the click'n'collect itself is grand, it's the 12 pints and orgy afterwards is where the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

JP100 wrote: »
    It's about looking at the bigger picture and it's damning that we are the only host country unable to host matches over the summer. It really tells you where we're at presently vis-a-vis our neighbouring countries.

Couldnt agree more. It is totally damning. The simple question is....what is so special and different about us that we cant do this?

Ive no doubt either that about three months after this has blown over we'll be hearing about how we are the smartest, hardest working, most capable country in the world. The evidence says otherwise and other countries will really wonder what is going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'd definitely agree our vaccines are slow, and would agree on click and collect - I just meant that a football match seems like it should be pretty far down the list of things we should prioritise "reopening" from a risk/reward point of view.

I agree that it's far down the list but schools are open and that's fine so why not allow school kids to attend the matches with a parent or something to at least allow the country some kind of feel good factor.

There is no reason for us to not host these matches other than pure stubbornness.

Our government seems determined to drag their heels on every single aspect of reopening.

seamus wrote: »
    An earlier version of the RTE article said that Bilbao and Munich had lost their games. I see it's been revised.

Nevertheless, I have no issue with this at all really. Why other countries are doing it and we're not can be explained by money. We're small fry in UEFA terms and the risk posed by hosting these games doesn't outweigh the benefit to us.

The rest of the EU has been willing to take bigger risks in this pandemic, and they've paid for it.

What risk? It's an outdoor event for 11k people.
    Manage the access to the stadium correctly and it's very little risk at all.

Phoenix Park on a nice day is probably a bigger risk at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,501 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Livid about the Euros decision because it shows to me a little that the government have no plans to get back to normal for the summer at least. If we put up a fight and allowed the Aviva games go ahead it would give the morale of the events industry along with sporting bodies a huge boost. I was hoping to see the return of crowd events by Autumn but sadly its very doubtful

We need to start living with this thing and get the economy back up and running

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Next two weeks are crucial

We just need to flatten the curve.

I wonder when they made the final decision did they assume Bilbao and Munich wouldnt host either?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

Did they even look into the possibility of only allowing domestic fans in and not allow, travelling fans coming into the country. Would have been a nice boost for 10,000 people to sit in a well spaced outdoor setting. Maybe allow a section for front line workers. As usual we are so slow to look at solutions, just blanket closures. Paddy last sums us up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

prunudo wrote: »
    Did they even look into the possibility of only allowing domestic fans in and not allow, travelling fans coming into the country. Would have been a nice boost for 10,000 people to sit in a well spaced outdoor setting. Maybe allow a section for front line workers. As usual we are so slow to look at solutions, just blanket closures. Paddy last sums us up perfectly.

The policy since last year has been to cancel everything.

Irish people support these measure by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

could we have not allowed our vaccinated pensioners to enjoy the matches after what they have been through in the last year?

Curious to see how this plays out. On the one hand its only a football tournament. On the other hand we are the ONLY one not hosting. There is potential for this to become quite a sticky issue for the government.

could we have not allowed our vaccinated pensioners to enjoy the matches after what they have been through in the last year?

That would have been a nice gesture.

Beginning to suspect though that even with a vaccine they will still be under restrictions for a few months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

B2021M wrote: »
    Curious to see how this plays out. On the one hand its only a football tournament. On the other hand we are the ONLY one not hosting. There is potential for this to become quite a sticky issue for the government.

We're the bestest boys in the class again

Go us

The most cautious of all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This would require a thought process that wasn't paralyzed by fear, paranoia and indecision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm all for relaxing restrictions but I struggle to care about us losing a couple of 1/4 capacity games for a tournament we aren't even involved in. Get the GAA, LOI, Rugby etc. going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

prunudo wrote: »
    Did they even look into the possibility

No, of course they didn't.

That would have required our government to actually get off their useless arses and do something proactive, when since the start of this pandemic they have done nothing except be a day late and a dollar short in every aspect of this entire situation.

The Euro 2020 matches could have been used as test cases to gauge how such events are to be handled going forward. They could have been used as figureheads to show a weary population that normalcy could return.

But that would have taken some planning and would have required them to actually deliver on promises, and we can't have that now can we. Can't be committing to doing X or Y by a certain date, not when its easier to avoid commitments altogether and just tell people "we'll see later on".

Vague handwaving that doesn't have to be followed up on, the hallmark of useless employees in any industry, yet we accept it from the people in charge of the entire country.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We're the bestest boys in the class again

Go us

The most cautious of all

We're winning a game nobody else is playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The public will support what happened today.

The public are in favour of strict measures.

A lot of people have reached a stage where they are used to lockdown. They are saving money because of it.

We've reverted back to an inward little country again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,501 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This could be bad for the events industry here. Concert tours could easily pull out of the Irish dates but tour elsewhere

This total banning of mass gatherings here could become a farce and the industries need to put up a fight

I have tickets to a few 3Arena shows and would think strongly of the quick flight over to the UK to see the show if Dublin shows are cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It was some opportunity to both stimulate the economy and use it as a yardstick to show that we are at the right end of getting out of this.

But no, all about keeping the compliant populace under lock and key indefinitely. Sure those curtain-twitchers and doom merchants don't watch football anyway.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This could be bad for the events industry here. Concert tours could easily pull out of the Irish dates but tour elsewhere

This total banning of mass gatherings here could become a farce and the industries need to put up a fight

I have tickets to a few 3Arena shows and would think strongly of the quick flight over to the UK to see the show if Dublin shows are cancelled

Yes! And dont forget we are applying to co-host the 2030 World Cup. This will look great on the application form....!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,492 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm all for relaxing restrictions but I struggle to care about us losing a couple of 1/4 capacity games for a tournament we aren't even involved in. Get the GAA, LOI, Rugby etc. going

You should care because it isn't actually about the games themselves, it is about this government response and its failures because those failures will be repeated in areas that you do actually care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

sure why not, you'll be able to land and go to the concert hassle free...

Only questions you'll come up against will be going back into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

AdamD wrote: »

What happened today has a bearing on everything you just mentioned, they are afraid of committing to anything and it doesn't bode well for opening up or even allowing test scenarios. I wouldn't have been a fan of thousands of travelling fans coming into the country but its just another example of the government going for the nuclear option rather than trying to be proactive and solution driven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Are you aware of how contracts work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement