Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

prunudo wrote: »
    That can't be real, can it, did he really say that yesterday.

It's certainly real. Saw it live on the Six-one News last night and thought I'd misheard him at First.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Rte make money from covid returning to profit last year with 5 million they need covid so want to keep this going hence lee and all the other cowboys propaganda -disgusting broadcaster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Who figures out who's a close contact in a workplace?

Had someone test positive where I work and they are telling us there's no close contacts in the workplace. Except, I've seen them face to face chatting to people (with masks) before testing positive. We're constantly being told that face masks are not a substitute for distancing, hand washing, respiratory etiquette, yet looks like they're using masks as a reason to say there's no close contacts. This masked close contact is still in work. Is there anything that I can do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Who figures out who's a close contact in a workplace?

Had someone test positive where I work and they are telling us there's no close contacts in the workplace. Except, I've seen them face to face chatting to people (with masks) before testing positive. We're constantly being told that face masks are not a substitute for distancing, hand washing, respiratory etiquette, yet looks like they're using masks as a reason to say there's no close contacts. This masked close contact is still in work. Is there anything that I can do?

yes wash your hands and ring joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Nice leaking from NPHET already even before they've met

"Meanwhile, the Government is set to be warned by the National Health Emergency Team (Nphet) about the volatile Covid-19 situation on Monday

This will come ahead of the latest update on Covid-19 restrictions on Tuesday.

Senior public health sources warned that if the Government “does something in April that triggers a wave, they have a disaster on their hands; if they hold off until May or June it is a completely different risk profile”.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/astrazeneca-boss-says-ireland-can-expect-large-volume-of-vaccines-in-coming-weeks-1102558.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Don't forget the lad that took thim for $$$millions for useless ventilators.

To be honest at this stage people who blindly follow the rules handed down by these donkeys have only themselves to blame.

And also that tourism board person telling us to holiday in Ireland while he went to Italy.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Can you show that somewhere, please? Because severe asthmatics are receiving the vaccine in group 4 and it's still listed by HSE and Gov.ie websites.

Severe asthma is listed as both very high risk and high risk, very high is cohort 4, high is cohort 7. There isn't much clarity about how that's being split, I presume its up to the treating physician.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospital numbers still falling, if slower. Might we break 300 next week and 50 in ICU?

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1375737802332196865

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hospital numbers still falling, if slower. Might we break 300 next week and 50 in ICU?

https://twitter.com/paulreiddublin/status/1375737802332196865

Could be one of the first tangible signs of the vaccines impact if we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Severe asthma is listed as both very high risk and high risk, very high is cohort 4, high is cohort 7. There isn't much clarity about how that's being split, I presume its up to the treating physician.

Very high risk is someone requiring oral steroids or immunosuppression/modulators.
    High risk I imagine will be someone requiring high dose inhaled steroids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

KrustyUCC wrote: »

"Meanwhile, the Government is set to be warned by the National Health Emergency Team (Nphet) about the volatile Covid-19 situation on Monday

Senior public health sources warned that if the Government “does something in April that triggers a wave, they have a disaster on their hands; if they hold off until May or June it is a completely different risk profile”.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/astrazeneca-boss-says-ireland-can-expect-large-volume-of-vaccines-in-coming-weeks-1102558.html

So more lockdown and not a hint of an understanding of the realities of the numbers in certain parts of the country which might allow somewhat of an easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭prunudo

KrustyUCC wrote: »

They really love to use excessive adjectives to describe the situation. Volatile is not a word I would use to describe the current circumstances. Hospital numbers going down, total number vaccinations going up, many counties with very low numbers. Coupled with lockdown fatigue increasing by the day, they really don't know how to read the mood and try get people back on side.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

is_that_so wrote: »
    ]

What is the average stay in ICU? What’s the numbers admitted in the last month?

I can see ICU numbers stagnating of the numbers currently in (66) are recent admissions.

As long as hospital numbers keep dropping, it should reduce these ICU admissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And also that tourism board person telling us to holiday in Ireland while he went to Italy.

That tourism board person who got paid peanuts to give his expertise - and was happy enough to resign as the public vitriol for doing something as natural as going on holidays was really not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

That tourism board person who got paid peanuts to give his expertise - and was happy enough to resign as the public vitriol for doing something as natural as going on holidays was really not worth it.

Wasn't there a woman who also resigned for holidaying in Italy but Leo got her another role in a government department?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

ek motor wrote: »
    Could be one of the first tangible signs of the vaccines impact if we do.

I think we are we at approx 600 (at end of Feb) - looks like it has being halved in 4 weeks....Somewhat similar in terms of halving ICU also I think....

Would indicate vaccines are really doing the trick :)

Would suggest in 6-7 weeks we should be flying it (provided they hit vaccine goals so to speak)....

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

The very high risk list for vaccination is here

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/#aged-16-69-and-at-very-high-risk-of-severe-covid-19-disease

It was updated last month

The respiratory related section for Very High Risk is
    Chronic respiratory disease
    Chronic severe respiratory disease, for example: severe cystic fibrosis, severe COPD, severe pulmonary fibrosis.

The respiratory related section for High Risk is
    Chronic respiratory disease
    Other chronic respiratory disease, for example: stable cystic fibrosis, severe asthma (continuous or repeated use of systemic corticosteroids), moderate COPD.

I know this because it affected me and a group of people I know who are Very High Risk and have been/are on steroids

Now having said that some seem to be getting vaccinated in group 4 anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

As of the 8pm daily report last night

66 patients with Covid-19 in iCU, the lowest number since 3 January when it was 65.

The number of people in ICU has now reduced by approx 70% since the peak of 221 on 24 January.

There are 304 total in hospitals compared to 2,020 on 18 January, a reduction of approx 85%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

TheDoctor wrote: »
    As of the 8pm daily report last night

66 patients with Covid-19 in iCU, the lowest number since 3 January when it was 65.

The number of people in ICU has now reduced by approx 70% since the peak of 221 on 24 January.

There are 304 total in hospitals compared to 2,020 on 18 January, a reduction of approx 85%.

Restrictions however remain at the same level as the peak in January and take no account of the vaccinations administered

It’s gone from “flatten the curve” to just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Martin, reid, Donnelly etc big fat paychecks should be performance based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

When did restaurants and pubs reopen. George Lee seems to think they are still the problem...

https://twitter.com/idahocafe/status/1375516825954385921?s=21

I heard that there is a boogeyman or boogeymen going around coughing in people's faces. They cannot be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting that a doctor on NPHET on RTE radio 1 talking about hospitalizations and ICU numbers of cases more important than case numbers on their own. Didn't catch her name. Seemed to suggest restrictions could be eased on that basis as well as with more vaccination. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They’ll have to lift some of the restrictions, just a token measure; enough to blame the increase in cases when the schools fully open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Eod100 wrote: »
    Interesting that a doctor on NPHET on RTE radio 1 talking about hospitalizations and ICU numbers of cases more important than case numbers on their own. Didn't catch her name. Seemed to suggest restrictions could be eased on that basis as well as with more vaccination. Makes sense.

Cases are a prediction of future hospital and Icu.

The formula has to change to reflect the vaccinated cohort but not massively yet.

We are getting towards hospital numbers where some releasing could be considered but if case numbers are going up now hospital numbers in few weeks time would be expected to go up.

There is some suggestions that case numbers are stable instead of rising and the increasing case numbers reported are a sign of better detection but I couldn't say for sure.

I believe we are getting close to a point where steps to open up can be taken but I am doubting thtt 5th of April will be the date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They’ll have to lift some of the restrictions, just a token measure; enough to blame the increase in cases when the schools fully open again.

Well, if that's the way they are thinking, I wouldn't blame them. There is a minority of people who don't seem to understand that keeping schools open is the priority, and who blame schools being open as the cause of all infections. Of course the virus can spread in schools but the risk is far lower than, for example, adults meeting indoors, eateries and pubs being open etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Do you remember they opened the pubs at the same time in September so we couldn't see what was going on? That was a good one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Do you remember they opened the pubs at the same time in September so we couldn't see what was going on? That was a good one. :pac:

Indeed. And then there is the mystery of November when schools were open and infection rates fell compared to early January when schools were closed and infection rates soared. Can't get my head around that one.

Cases are a prediction of future hospital and Icu.

The formula has to change to reflect the vaccinated cohort but not massively yet.

We are getting towards hospital numbers where some releasing could be considered but if case numbers are going up now hospital numbers in few weeks time would be expected to go up.

There is some suggestions that case numbers are stable instead of rising and the increasing case numbers reported are a sign of better detection but I couldn't say for sure.

I believe we are getting close to a point where steps to open up can be taken but I am doubting thtt 5th of April will be the date

Yeah agree they are linked. Cant see it being the 5th either. More for the thinking after June I'd be speculating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Eod100 wrote: »

Could we finally see the mythical 100k dose week?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement