Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Russman

But no, all about keeping the compliant populace under lock and key indefinitely. Sure those curtain-twitchers and doom merchants don't watch football anyway.

Yeah, of course it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The public will support what happened today.

The public are in favour of strict measures.

A lot of people have reached a stage where they are used to lockdown. They are saving money because of it.

We've reverted back to an inward little country again.

I’d agree with this really. We’re quite a materialistic/‘keep up with the Jones’ type of people, so as long as everyone else is in lockdown and people’s peers aren’t going on nice holidays, etc either, a lot of people are happy to get on with lockdown so long as they’re not affected and enjoy the break of the rat race and pretence, whilst saving a nice little amount. Once we get out of lockdown that’s when you’ll see the one-upmanship start again and the savings will get spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The biggest sporting occasion in Ireland for political will is the GAA All Irelands. There's no way the government are going to risk that in anyway for any other sporting event. If they allowed the euros games take place it would severely limit the risks they could take with other large crowd gatherings.

Most people in Ireland will not care about losing the Euros if come Sept we have several thousand people in Croker. As more and more people are vaccinated in the summer I suspect politicians will start peddling the image of people in Croke Park more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

How can the other countries guarantee attendance of fans and we can't? Isnt that the key question?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I’d agree with this really. We’re quite a materialistic/‘keep up with the Jones’ type of people, so as long as everyone else is in lockdown and people’s peers aren’t going on nice holidays, etc either, a lot of people are happy to get on with lockdown so long as they’re not affected and enjoy the break of the rat race and pretence, whilst saving a nice little amount. Once we get out of lockdown that’s when you’ll see the one-upmanship start again and the savings will get spent.

Yes people letting their hair go grey because others are doing it and so on.

The only problem is that hundreds of thousands of people are financially affected by the restrictions and they want a return to a normal income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

It was some opportunity to both stimulate the economy and use it as a yardstick to show that we are at the right end of getting out of this.

But no, all about keeping the compliant populace under lock and key indefinitely. Sure those curtain-twitchers and doom merchants don't watch football anyway.

Sure they haven't even answered Leinster Rugbys suggestion of allowing 2,000 go to the RDS for a match as a test run.

Its clear the government don't want people to go to events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

RGS wrote: »
    Sure they haven't even answered Leinster Rugbys suggestion of allowing 2,000 go to the RDS for a match as a test run.

Its clear the government don't want people to go to events.

We can’t behave like good boys and girls like other countries do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

This just shows again how out of touch we are with the rest of the world. We have one of the lowest covid rates at the moment plus one of the youngest populations in Europe (which is very relevant as the average age of death from covid is 80+) yet we are the one country to miss out on hosting Euro matches.

I don't think anyone is surprised in the slightest with this but the question needs to be asked, why are we the only country so afraid to allow this? Its not just this, its going to be the same for everything else and has been seince this pandemic began. If other countries in Europe had our current covid rates this far into vaccination they'd have their restaurants opened now, while we're being told if we don't behave we won't be able to get our hair cut until June!

People here don't realise just how out of touch we are with everyone else. Do people not realise that people in other countries are visiting their family and friends throughout all this? Behaviour experts have even told that even when Northern Ireland and rest of UK have similar restrictions to us their movements are way higher than ours. People seem to think its the same all over the world as it is here and its really not. They are living their lives as best as possible but we are just surviving, how is only seeing your close family in a short 3 week window over 9 months seen as acceptable because that's what it will be for those of us who live in different counties and even longer until we can sit down in a house together and god forbid have a meal together.

Stop thinking what we are doing is in anyway normal because it's really not, not anywhere apart from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Klonker wrote: »
    This just shows again how out of touch we are with the rest of the world. We have one of the lowest covid rates at the moment plus one of the youngest populations in Europe (which is very relevant as the average age of death from covid is 80+) yet we are the one country to miss out on hosting Euro matches.

I don't think anyone is surprised in the slightest with this but the question needs to be asked, why are we the only country so afraid to allow this? Its not just this, its going to be the same for everything else and has been seince this pandemic began. If other countries in Europe had our current covid rates this far into vaccination they'd have their restaurants opened now, while we're being told if we don't behave we won't be able to get our hair cut until June!

People here don't realise just how out of touch we are with everyone else. Do people not realise that people in other countries are visiting their family and friends throughout all this? Behaviour experts have even told that even when Northern Ireland and rest of UK have similar restrictions to us their movements are way higher than ours. People seem to think its the same all over the world as it is here and its really not. They are living their lives as best as possible but we are just surviving, how is only seeing your close family in a short 3 week window over 9 months seen as acceptable because that's what it will be for those of us who live in different counties and even longer until we can sit down in a house together and god forbid have a meal together.

Stop thinking what we are doing is in anyway normal because it's really not, not anywhere apart from here.

Precisely. Many aspects of how this country really works are being laid bare by the whole Covid saga. Its the lack of individual responsibility that drives all this....the government has to look after everybody. An extremely immature society.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I think it's a definite political risk around the Euros - sure most people probably agree with the abundance of caution approach now. If in June we start seeing happy crowds of people in the sunshine at games that were supposed to be in Dublin, and are reading about the sophisticated ways they are making that safe with antigen testing we could still be waiting to trial here to see if it works in Ireland, while Covid rates are dropping everywhere due to vaccinations, some opinions could change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

JP100 wrote: »
    Official confirmation now, Dublin losing all 3 Euro matches. Moved from Dublin to St. Petersburg.

Minister of State for Sport Jack Chambers

We will have spectators back at games this summer. To do 11,000 in June as a starter event would be an extraordinary step up

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

B2021M wrote: »
    Curious to see how this plays out. On the one hand its only a football tournament. On the other hand we are the ONLY one not hosting. There is potential for this to become quite a sticky issue for the government.
    I agree the potential is there for it to become an issue, but I don't see it kicking off.

It would be different if Ireland were actually playing in the tournament. But a international tournament in a foreign sport played between foreigns teams, being permitted to have spectators before elite domestic sports, would be a much bigger problem for the government.

Imagine 11,000 people in the Aviva in June to watch two foreign teams, while the GAA are still being told to keep Croke Park emtpy until July or August? Ructions.

IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If we had of qualified i suspect they might have reconsidered..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

We will have spectators back at games this summer. To do 11,000 in June as a starter event would be an extraordinary step up

Spectators probably meaning the 200 that were allowed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Turtwig wrote: »
    The biggest sporting occasion in Ireland for political will is the GAA All Irelands. There's no way the government are going to risk that in anyway for any other sporting event. If they allowed the euros games take place it would severely limit the risks they could take with other large crowd gatherings.

Most people in Ireland will not care about losing the Euros if come Sept we have several thousand people in Croker. As more and more people are vaccinated in the summer I suspect politicians will start peddling the image of people in Croke Park more and more.

Why can't we do both like most other countries will be doing in sports (not the GAA obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Turtwig wrote: »

Turtwig

What about the people like me and many many more who don't care about the Gaa and would have been delighted to see the Euro games in ireland
    a lot more People in Ireland who are Not Gaa fans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

afro man wrote: »
    Turtwig

What about the people like me and many many more who don't care about the Gaa and would have been delighted to see the Euro games in ireland

What about the people like me and many many more who don't care about the GAA or the Euro and just want to get to the feckin pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It would be but that's only cos we're so stupidly slow at everything else.

Like, do the Leinster thing of 2k fans, have fans at the GAA national league games etc, do the Euros, and then you're well prepared for doing more fans in July and August for the GAA championship.

Don't even have to do it for every game in the National League, could pick and choose games at the bigger stadiums and progress up with it. Do the testing before hand, or even allow it for vaccinated only people or whatever at the start.

Anything would be better than a plan of wait until everyone is vaccinated before allowing it. We're the only one doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

afro man wrote: »
    You're in a minority I'm afraid.

GAA matches are consistently the most popular, but overall any sport involving an Irish team or Irish person pulls in viewing figures that dwarf foreign football matches.

There's a large crossover, the amount of people who only like soccer and don't watch GAA is pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Spectators probably meaning the 200 that were allowed last year.

Has to be a lot more than that as last year we had nobody vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,866 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

seamus wrote: »
    An earlier version of the RTE article said that Bilbao and Munich had lost their games. I see it's been revised.

Nevertheless, I have no issue with this at all really. Why other countries are doing it and we're not can be explained by money. We're small fry in UEFA terms and the risk posed by hosting these games doesn't outweigh the benefit to us.

The rest of the EU has been willing to take bigger risks in this pandemic, and they've paid for it.

Be less of a risk if we did a Denmark on it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56812293.amp

Gatherings indoors are more risky and already suggestions that mass will be back in May. 100s indoors at the basilica in knock and various cathedrals as outdoor sport matches played behind closed doors where is the sense in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,413 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

B2021M wrote: »
    How can the other countries guarantee attendance of fans and we can't? Isnt that the key question?

Nothing can be cast iron guaranteed but these countries possessed a will to make it happen and put a plan in place. Sure it could all still come to nothing and all games end up behind closed doors anyway... But at least put your hat in the ring.

We weren't even prepared to offer a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

PLEASE contact your EU MEPs regarding the upcoming vote on Digital Green Certs.
    The reasons to oppose the proposal are listed in the template below for anyone interested, and MEP e-mails are listed also.
    Change as needed

Cheers

Sample email to Irish MEPs
    Subject: Digital Green Certificate vote on 28 April

Dear [Insert MEP’s name],
    The proposed Digital Green Certificate regulation is the most dangerous threat to the Irish people’s liberty and freedom of movement since the inception of the State, and I urge you to vote NO to its introduction.
    In brief, the Regulation proposes to dismantle fundamental democratic freedoms, including:
    • The abolition of my inalienable right to control my own body
    • The elimination of the right to free choice, right to consent, and right to a dignified life
    • The eradication of Freedom of Movement within the European Union
    • The introduction of discriminatory practices based on a person’s health status

As a representative elected by the people, you are bound to respect your voters’ fundamental rights and civil liberties, even when doing so presents challenges. When the next European or General Election takes place, my paramount concern will be whether you voted for or against this Regulation. Not only will I not vote for any MEP who votes in favor of this Regulation, but I will actively canvass against them.
    Yours sincerely,

Email addresses of Ireland’s MEPs
    barry.andrews@ep.europa.eu
    maria.walsh@ep.europa.eu
    ciaran.cuffe@ep.europa.eu
    deirdre.clune@ep.europa.eu
    clare.daly@ep.europa.eu
    billy.kelleher@ep.europa.eu
    frances.fitzgerald@ep.europa.eu
    sean.kelly@ep.europa.eu
    lukeming.flanagan@ep.europa.eu
    grace.osullivan@ep.europa.eu
    chris.macmanus@ep.europa.eu
    mick.wallace@ep.europa.eu
    colm.markey@ep.europa.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The reasons to oppose the proposal are listed in the template below for anyone interested, and MEP e-mails are listed also.
    Change as needed

Cheers

Thanks for the list of emails. I'm going to write to them requesting they do the exact opposite of what you're suggesting.

Change as needed
    ]

I’ve already done the opposite. To get these up and running as quickly as is possible

Maybe that’s the idea here. I reckon you’re playing some kind of mind trick on us, to try to get people lobbying for the introduction of green certs

Thanks for the list of emails. I'm going to write to them requesting they do the exact opposite of what you're suggesting.

As you please.
    Its not a campaign against vaccination, it's a campaign against multifarious infringements on human rights that would accompany such a measure.

One MEP has proposed an amendment to reject it for this reason - details below.

https://twitter.com/rooken/status/1384819008080433156?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1384819008080433156%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2Frooken2Fstatus2F1384819008080433156widget%3DTweet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I’ve already done the opposite. To get these up and running as quickly as is possible

Maybe that’s the idea here. I reckon you’re playing some kind of mid trick on us, to try to get people lobbying for the introduction of green certs

....We already have passports, and the justification literally says the presentation of a negative covid test is sufficient to allow someone travel between countries, so not sure why we would need an app or something on our phones that has this medical information also? It's just overkill to have it packaged in this format.

EDIT: Even the WHO has rejected the idea of these digital certs:
    "We as WHO are saying at this stage we would not like to see the vaccination passport as a requirement for entry or exit because we are not certain at this stage that the vaccine prevents transmission... There are all those other questions, apart from the question of discrimination against the people who are not able to have the vaccine for one reason or another"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Lucas Hood wrote: »

High enough case numbers but positivity is still low.

Not great, not bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement