Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Any day now the government leaders will be riding in on horseback to hijack the press conferences and take credit for fixing this, even they can see it's all over.

I remember Nicola Sturgeon, being asked recently, with the elections coming up, would it not be a better idea to have the medical officer give the press conferences so it won't be political.

But no doubt we'll have FG saying they would have done things differently if they held the Taoiseach position this time around. I'm sure most will see through that bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

is_that_so wrote: »
    And yet you're using old data to prove a dubious point. Are you accusing him of lying?

Here, I'll spell it out for you again. In the past 7 days, Ireland vaccinated 31% less people than the EU average. That is the reality and no spin whatsoever can deflect from that reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

+1

There are some professional contortionists on this thread, desperately keen to justify NPHET's excessively cautious approach and the Irish government's mindless inertia. Better knock the Tories wherever possible seeing as the UK months ahead in their phased reopening. Such pettiness would be laughable if the situation we're in wasn't so serious.

May 17th, assuming the current UK roadmap continues as planned with the reopening of indoor hospitality, is going to be a very interesting day.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Maybe because they want to keep the figures in our favour? I don't know but, I'll be honest, it's not a priority for me.

It’s not really an either or. Everyone has there own priority. I’ve no interest in bars/nightclubs/retail etc. But if we all start saying this one thing doesn’t matter to us, then the game is gone.

It’s an indictment of our ultra conservative plans (or lack of). This time it’s the euros, in May it will be something else, in June it’ll be the GAA championships etc. We seem to have no ambition to improve lives for people. Because it doesn’t matter to one person doesn’t mean it’s not important in the grand scheme of things.

(Fwiw, I wouldn’t have wanted fans travelling in. But what’s the issue with 12,000 domestic fans either vaccinated or negative tested).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

But what’s the issue with 12,000 domestic fans either vaccinated or negative tested).
    In theory that seems fair, but do you believe they could manage that though?
    Plus you'd have the mybodymychoice and twotiersociety people objecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

County cases per day average over the last two weeks.

Dublin 166
    Kildare 32
    Donegal 29
    Meath 21
    Cork 15
    Limerick 15
    Galway 14
    Tipperary 12
    Offaly 12
    Louth 10
    Westmeath 9
    Mayo 8
    Laois 7
    Wicklow 7
    Waterford 6
    Cavan 5
    Longford 5
    Wexford 4
    Kerry 4
    Clare 4
    Roscommon 4
    Monaghan 3
    Carlow 3
    Leitrim 3
    Sligo 2
    Kilkenny 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

They aren’t big numbers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

JP100 wrote: »
    Here, I'll spell it out for you again. In the past 7 days, Ireland vaccinated 31% less people than the EU average. That is the reality and no spin whatsoever can deflect from that reality.

You have posted this several times today, the point has been made and without a link to something reputable supporting it then it's just soapboxing in a fast moving thread, drop it and move on please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Busy in the green and hour ago.
    IMG-0889.jpg

Could be worse I suppose, could be in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

IMG-0889.jpg
    oh no people in groups no masks having fun, lies OP lies :D
    Mad to think were coming onto second year and still living in defcon 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

IMG-0889.jpg

That's nothing compared to Grand Canal Dock. Great to see

People in their own groups, being respectful of others etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

IMG-0889.jpg

Could be worse I suppose, could be in a pub.

Well, it's outdoors, a lot better than inside as you say.

Not sure I'd be convinced that there is no risk there though, outdoors or not, it's a pretty busy gathering of groups. Wouldn't be 100% comfortable there for an afternoon myself tbh. Sure, they are keeping to separate groups, but there has to be some scope for all those people going back to families with a potential infection.

Down to risk outdoors sure, which is tiny they say. But is it tiny in general walking up the street, or having a beer with a mate in your garden, or sitting in one of those closely knit groups for the afternoon.

(Disclaimer - I am NOT giving out about them, just not convinced that it's risk free!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Well, it's outdoors, a lot better than inside as you say.

Not sure I'd be convinced that there is no risk there though, outdoors or not, it's a pretty busy gathering of groups. Wouldn't be 100% comfortable there for an afternoon myself tbh. Sure, they are keeping to separate groups, but there has to be some scope for all those people going back to families with a potential infection.

Down to risk outdoors sure, which is tiny they say. But is it tiny in general walking up the street, or having a beer with a mate in your garden, or sitting in one of those closely knit groups for the afternoon.

(Disclaimer - I am NOT giving out about them, just not convinced that it's risk free!).

Nothing is risk free though. The sooner people get round to that way of thinking the better. You could litterally choke to death everytime you eat something.

Lots of countries getting back to normality. Meanwhile in Ireland, we are sharing outrageous photos of some people sitting on the grass...

Lots of countries getting back to normality. Meanwhile in Ireland, we are sharing outrageous photos of some people sitting on the grass...

Was some of the thread deleted? I read this post and went looking for the outrage at the photo but I can’t seem to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

County cases per day average over the last two weeks.

Dublin 166
    Kildare 32
    Donegal 29
    Meath 21
    Cork 15
    Limerick 15
    Galway 14
    Tipperary 12
    Offaly 12
    Louth 10
    Westmeath 9
    Mayo 8
    Laois 7
    Wicklow 7
    Waterford 6
    Cavan 5
    Longford 5
    Wexford 4
    Kerry 4
    Clare 4
    Roscommon 4
    Monaghan 3
    Carlow 3
    Leitrim 3
    Sligo 2
    Kilkenny 2

Starting to seem like most counties outside of Dublin could be opened up again like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Nothing is risk free though. The sooner people get round to that way of thinking the better. You could litterally choke to death everytime you eat something.

Yeah, not disagreeing with you. Probably not good choice of words to say "risk free" - I really meant that I am not sure that it is very low risk. I'd be thinking, outside or not, that the gathering in that photo, if anyone there has covid, would lead to a couple of cases. But to be sure, I'm happy to see them all out and enjoying an element of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Salthill park was the same today, I'm glad some of the crowd is getting out and about, why wouldn't you in this gorgeous weather,

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nice try but only you have referred to it as outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What about Germany, France, India, Brazil?

The countries getting back to normality are way ahead of us in % vaccinated.
    It's reasonable enough to question why our % is lower, but until we hit a higher % to adopt the same course as those countries would be reckless endangerment.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The docks packed tonight in Cork. Queues for takeaway pints out of Goldbergs and the Idle Hour are both really long.

Lovely night. Bit chilly and windy but there was a great buzz and it was very safe. Kinda tipsy myself ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

With the EMA saying AZ should be used for all ages, do we think NIAC will review their recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭brickster69

Vicxas wrote: »
    With the EMA saying AZ should be used for all ages, do we think NIAC will review their recommendation?

EMA have said from day 1 it was safe for all ages. Should of gone with that from the start and protected those that were most likely to die instead of swapping and changing every week.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You have posted this several times today, the point has been made and without a link to something reputable supporting it then it's just soapboxing in a fast moving thread, drop it and move on please
    In case anyone else is curious, here are our new vaccines per capita relative to the rest of the EU.
    551148.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP, the one person who died

Over 30% positivity rate in India - and over 330,000 new cases.

And that's with limited testing.

Seems as if India is in for a rough ride for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No I haven't, I have discussed in the thread as I am well entitled to do on here. Here too is the link to the data, so do tell me where is this soap boxing that you talk about.

From the former tabloid hack, turned lobbyist, who had a controversial end to his involvement with FG?

I'll stick to the HSE figures thanks.

Why bother posting a pic of people sitting on the grass at all? And why bother saying “Could be worse, could be in the pub”.

It was clearly posted for a reason. And you know what that reason is.

In the minds of the rabid open everything immediately cabal anything that does not immediately align with the view is outrage or lockdown larry or curtain twitcher, even if it is just a picture posted without comment

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    From the former tabloid hack, turned lobbyist, who had a controversial end to his involvement with FG?

I'll stick to the HSE figures thanks.

What are you talking about, the HSE figures show that we've gone from being one of the best in the EU in terms of the vaccine rollout to being well down that list now. That is common knowledge and the HSE figures back up what I'm saying, so thank you for highlighting that. Our vaccine rollout programme has been painfully slow and that's just become more and more apparent with every passing week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

What are you talking about, the HSE figures show that we've gone from being one of the best in the EU in terms of the vaccine rollout to being well down that list now. That is common knowledge and the HSE figures back up what I'm saying, so thank you for highlighting that. Our vaccine rollout programme has been painfully slow and that's just become more and more apparent with each passing week.

You have to take our population into account which I'm not sure you getting.

Countries like Germany has a population of 83 million and as a result have a much higher level of vunerable people who need it more than we do.

I'd be happy if our vacination numbers dropped if more people over 75 or with underlying illness get it in another country, especially in Covid ridden areas.

We are getting our vacinnes and a gradual reopen plan is been announced next week. Calm down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement