Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Its not just a pint in the pub, its peoples businesses and livelihoods are getting destroyed and who is going to pay for all this when its over. We were already in a housing crisis before this started and now we have delayed cancer screening. I don't even what to think of the aftermath of this.

A functioning health service? Are you taking the piss? Its going be 100 times worse than cervical scandal.

ps: I'm actually loving the debate with you, a great poster.

You were looking to reopen at level 2 ffs!
    We're months away from being able to open 80% of business and back to 80% of normal life. You want to say **** that, open right now and hope Covid is somehow not infectious now?

The country can open 100% tomorrow, everything back to Feb 2020 and all is well, business will boom etc... but then the **** will hit the fan and we're back to a severe lockdown, setting us back months. Why blow it so close to the finish line?

Yes the aftermath, financially, healthcare wise etc... is going to be beyond our understanding. It would be nice to see seismic changes after this.
    Some countries will use this to change themselves for the better, some won't.
    I'll agree Ireland may end up in the not changing pile.

AdamD wrote: »
    If the average age doesn't factor into the equation, its not a rational equation. If the average age of death was 40 we'd be looking at this very very differently

I mean if the average age of deaths was 40 or 80, it would not change the number of deaths. It only changes how much value you assign to those ages.
    After you rationalize that, you're free to assign different rationale to deaths, be it income, social background etc.... Old and rich, that's tragic, young and poor, pff.
    It's bad enough one's health gets dragged into it regardless of age (underlying conditions)

It's extremely easy to jump from age rationale to others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Some off topic/trolling posts deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Wolf359f wrote: »
    You were looking to reopen at level 2 ffs!
    We're months away from being able to open 80% of business and back to 80% of normal life. You want to say **** that, open right now and hope Covid is somehow not infectious now?

The country can open 100% tomorrow, everything back to Feb 2020 and all is well, business will boom etc... but then the **** will hit the fan and we're back to a severe lockdown, setting us back months. Why blow it so close to the finish line?

Yes the aftermath, financially, healthcare wise etc... is going to be beyond our understanding. It would be nice to see seismic changes after this.
    Some countries will use this to change themselves for the better, some won't.
    I'll agree Ireland may end up in the not changing pile.

The thing is we wont be, its dark now at 9

all our most venerable are vaccinated.

All outddor activity should be opened.

the thing is government and rte not reporting on utbreaks in schools, ever county local paper is

I could link 1000 articles in local papers to do with outbreaks in schools

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Having seen both canals in Dublin today its utter madness beer gardens aren't open along with outdoor dining, thousands of people about socializing.

• Advertisement

The thing is we wont be, its dark now at 9

all our most venerable are vaccinated.

All outddor activity should be opened.

the thing is government and rte not reporting on utbreaks in schools, ever county local paper is

I could link 1000 articles in local papers to do with outbreaks in schools

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0423/1211678-school-covid-testing/
    Is that not RTE reporting an Outbreak in a school?
    Yes most pf our vulnerable are vaccinated, we still had 109 people 75+ test positive for covid and 40 hospitalized in the past 2 weeks. So the vulnerable are not entirely protected until we all are. I don't mean we never reopen, but rushing to do it is reckless. One small misstep and we're back up **** creek.

You've gone from open with level 2, to level 3 and now it's just outdoor activity?
    Can you be consistent at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Great to see people back out enjoying themselves .Remember back in the Winter the national outrage because about 20 people were drinking takeaway pints on South William Street.

I do remember that. And I remember people similar to yourself saying how great it was and calling for everything to be opened. And I remember the government succumbing to that public opinion and opening too much for Christmas against the advice of experts. And I remember the thousands of grieving families as a result of that and the inevitable prolonged severe lockdown that was required to recover.

Why on earth would we want to make the same mistakes again? We’re so close to the finish line now, it would be foolish to throw away all the progress that’s been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

quokula wrote: »
    I do remember that. And I remember people similar to yourself saying how great it was and calling for everything to be opened. And I remember the government succumbing to that public opinion and opening too much for Christmas against the advice of experts. And I remember the thousands of grieving families as a result of that and the inevitable prolonged severe lockdown that was required to recover.

Why on earth would we want to make the same mistakes again? We’re so close to the finish line now, it would be foolish to throw away all the progress that’s been made.

Most of the cohort that would have died have been vaccinated - looking back without making adjustments in landscape would lead to never ending lockdown ..

Fact is we are probably 2 months behind U.K. which gives us a opportunity to observe how their stage gate approach works - and potentially accelerate ours based on their outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Most of the cohort that would have died have been vaccinated

Cohort 7 hasn't started and that's 350k people. They're due to get their first dose in early May.

No EU country is yet in a position to open widely. The seasonality thing is overblown or to soon. France has around 6k people in ICU, which scaled to our pop is around 450.

England is resuming indoor dining on 17 May, over three months after they hit our current vaccination levels.

Realistically I can't see much indoor stuff happening here until July, and that's assuming NIAC don't make a balls of J+J.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chst but things are grim in India.

Report from a doctor on the front lines.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-23/covid-patients-dying-on-the-roads-outside-hospitals-in-india-due-to-lack-of-oxygen-and-beds-doctor-says?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Can't but feel sorry for the people there atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Lumen wrote: »
    Cohort 7 hasn't started and that's 350k people. They're due to get their first dose in early May.

No EU country is yet in a position to open widely. The seasonality thing is overblown or to soon. France has around 6k people in ICU, which scaled to our pop is around 450.

England is resuming indoor dining on 17 May, over three months after they hit our current vaccination levels.

Realistically I can't see much indoor stuff happening here until July, and that's assuming NIAC don't make a balls of J+J.

I haven’t said we should open widely - merely stated we can’t keep referencing Christmas - landscape has changed-

My opinion is gradual opening closing following data from U.K. and accelerate where appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I haven’t said we should open widely - merely stated we can’t keep referencing Christmas - landscape has changed-

My opinion is gradual opening closing following data from U.K. and accelerate where appropriate

I realise that this is a particularly aggressive thread, but just because I'm quoting your post doesn't mean I'm disagreeing with all of it. It's just a continuation of the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

all of these suggestions of partaking in fun activities should be suppressed immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

gozunda wrote: »

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-23/covid-patients-dying-on-the-roads-outside-hospitals-in-india-due-to-lack-of-oxygen-and-beds-doctor-says?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Complete Government failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Agreed, they were warned back in September that this was a false dawn and they did the bare minimum to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Great to see the Gards tweeting about how they'll be patrolling outdoor beauty spots this sunny weekend. Good to know that the best way of avoiding them would be to meet people indoors.

arccosh wrote: »
    all of these suggestions of partaking in fun activities should be suppressed immediately

This post was sponsored by smug retirees with mortgage paid off and nothing better to do than lazing in their gardens, and contently watching the rest of us with career/life ambitions suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Maybe so. Though looks like many people thought the worst was over and dropped their guard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭prunudo

Great to see the Gards tweeting about how they'll be patrolling outdoor beauty spots this sunny weekend. Good to know that the best way of avoiding them would be to meet people indoors.

To be fair any of their posts I've seen are referencing bad parking, asking for people to be considerate and not block gates or narrow roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Meanwhile in the U.S., I’m watching large crowds at a professional golf tournament, life rapidly returning to a relative normal and Covid nowhere near the headlines. But let’s continue to ensure we drag ourselves further into the abyss pulling out of hosting duties for the European championships, maybe opening hospitality in July, restricting any inbound tourism for the foreseeable and allow the media to focus on last Thursday’s ‘spike’ in cases. Lol. Christ we are some little country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

And be grateful that the worst that most are having to suffer here is nowhere near this kind of apocalyptic catastrophe.

The images are harrowing.

There’s meant to be oxygen generating machines being flown in from Germany. That still won’t change the fact that there’s never going to be enough beds. They’re even making trains into makeshift hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

quokula wrote: »

Correct.
    If we were to allow people ring a shop, order something and drive in and collect it we would be right back where we were in January again, or let people travel outside their county or meet their families in a different county.

Where do people get the idea that its either December or nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Meanwhile in the U.S., I’m watching large crowds at a professional golf tournament, life rapidly returning to a relative normal and Covid nowhere near the headlines. But let’s continue to ensure we drag ourselves further into the abyss pulling out of hosting duties for the European championships, maybe opening hospitality in July, restricting any inbound tourism for the foreseeable and allow the media to focus on last Thursday’s ‘spike’ in cases. Lol. Christ we are some little country.

Yes we are some little country, majority of people in favour of keeping up restrictions to help save many lives.

Shame there were a selfish few over the Christmas period who didnt care and maybe helped contribute to many deaths due to the virus.

Comparing us to the US and the UK who are way more advanced in their vaccinations is pointless IMO.

Having seen both canals in Dublin today its utter madness beer gardens aren't open along with outdoor dining, thousands of people about socializing.

Crazy.
    Myself and another 7 or 8 met yesterday evening on the Clontarf seafront for pints. Was lovely, but a pain in the hole having to go across to the pub to get the rounds in.
    They were doing a great trade which is nice to see.

Yes we are some little country, majority of people in favour of keeping up restrictions to help save many lives.

Shame there were a selfish few over the Christmas period who didnt care and maybe helped contribute to many deaths due to the virus.

Comparing us to the US and the UK who are way more advanced in their vaccinations is pointless IMO.

Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭firemansam4

robbiezero wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Care to elaborate instead of just replying "Rubbish"

So you don't think people breaking restrictions over the Christmas period contributed to the spike in cases after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

robbiezero wrote: »
    Correct.
    If we were to allow people ring a shop, order something and drive in and collect it we would be right back where we were in January again, or let people travel outside their county or meet their families in a different county.

Where do people get the idea that its either December or nothing?

Or let kids play sport properly that would send us over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Was just in Tesco. I can buy a ****ing Avengers costume for a 12 year old but not a t- shirt for myself. But at least we're holding firm.

• Advertisement

Care to elaborate instead of just replying "Rubbish"

So you don't think people breaking restrictions over the Christmas period contributed to the spike in cases after it?

I think people obeying restrictions probably contributed more to the spike.
    Don't forget what was allowed in December.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement