Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

marno21 wrote: »
    Tony should issue public health advise to Government. Government should consider public health advice, along with a number of other factors, and issue guidance to the population accordingly.

Tony (and NPHET) should be advisors only and not communicating directly to the country. That’s the Governments job. The population should only be seeing what the Government decides post NPHET briefing bar those who would like to see NPHETs letters buried on the DoH website.

The people of Ireland should not be seeing in the Daily Mail tomorrow that pubs won’t be reopening for indoor dining because the CMO said so. Why should he have the final say? Why are we hearing this from the Mail? Why aren’t the numerous other facets behind this decision being considered?

I don’t have a problem with Tony doing his job. I have a problem with the Government not doing theirs and leaving NPHET advice be the sole focus of the response in this country. Tony should be briefing Government, not the country. Government has a duty to see beyond the advise of the CMO and they are not doing this.

Edit: front page of the Times tomorrow tells us we’ve nearly blown the entire load of 2021 Covid budget already. In May. A budget assuming there would be no vaccine. This Uber conservative response comes with significant costs too let’s not forget.

It's funny, with Scottish elections on the horizon, Nicola Sturgeon has been asked to stop doing briefing as they could be considered political. I'll agree the MOH should be at all NPHET press conferences as 9/10 questions asked to NPHET should be asked to the MOH, as NPHET has zero say in policy.

In regard to newspapers, they would print **** if it sold papers. nearly blown the budget, I nearly **** my pants but didn't. Nearly is not 100% or a certainty.
    Stop reading newspaper headlines, they are just **** to get you to buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Where did I say it only affected over 70s?

Look of course there's plenty of older people and hospital staff all safe now from death with their vaccine but there's a lot of people sub 70 yet to even have a date for a vaccine its not that much of a better place than December IMO,

with certainty of vaccines due in the next few weeks there is a chance to save lives still and keep infection rates low, groups meeting up for a drink can wait a few weeks surely is my opinion, im as effected as the next person with lockdown but losing sight of finish line is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Look of course there's plenty of older people and hospital staff all safe now from death with their vaccine but there's a lot of people sub 70 yet to even have a date for a vaccine its not that much of a better place than December IMO,

with certainty of vaccines due in the next few weeks there is a chance to save lives still and keep infection rates low, groups meeting up for a drink can wait a few weeks surely is my opinion, im as effected as the next person with lockdown but losing sight of finish line is silly.

A lot of folk saying the vulnerable is more or less vaccinated, not the case at all, cohort 4 is still about halfway to go, cohort 7 has barely started, and there is still numerous over 60s and 70s to be done.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Just a virus that effects over 70s, funny because a co worker of mine died 3 weeks ago aged mid 50s with no underlying condition, must of been the one unlucky under 70 person in the country to get covid and die.

Okay 170 in hospital or so.

No need to keep 4,900,000 locked up during the summer months.

No one is saying to ease restrictions completely, but they need to be eased right now where people can socialize outdoors.

If some people die so be it, the hospitals are under no pressure at the minute. Deaths are better than flu season at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

https://twitter.com/CarolineCoramUK/status/1385979074196217858?s=20

The news or media never mention or show clips of these types of civil movements in other countries just in case people here might get ideas.

They only show the violence and run with the " far right" headline for extra effect. Nobody wants to be associated with the far right.

Look at how many people marched! Unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

EddieN75 wrote: »

The news or media never mention or show clips of these types of civil movements in other countries just in case people here might get ideas.

They only show the violence and run with the " far right" headline for extra effect. Nobody wants to be associated with the far right.

https://twitter.com/CarolineCoramUK/status/1386046669968510980?s=20

Billeant, brightened up my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Billeant, brightened up my day

Look at the time lapse showing the number of people who turned up.

Second link. Absolutely huge number

Ten thousand people taking over a march about a police bill to protest vaccines, Covid-19 rules, heckle shoppers wearing masks, injure police, and fire missiles.

They're so close to a full relaxation of restrictions due to the vaccine rollout. And the people who won't take vaccines but will benefit from the herd immunity they provide are out spreading the virus more on the last leg. Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

No need to keep 4,900,000 locked up during the summer months.
    Did I miss a new announcement about a level 6 of some description?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,343 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nobody is really vaccinated now lets be real, my 79 year old granny was only done during the week, its as good as nobody.

The vaccine roll out has been frustratingly slow but almost 25% of the population 16 or over have had at least their first dose. That’s far from nobody. Especially seeing how effective the delayed second dose policy has been in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Thank god they don't, the state of them. They could have went to the hairdressers first then on to a beer garden. They won't know what to do with themselves after the pandemic is over the hippy hurs.

And look at the pinned tweet of the person who tweeted that. Absolute far right fruitcake, no wonder no one sane wants to be associated with them. Jesus. Thank you news media for not showing these freaks on our screens.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Thank god they don't, the state of them. They could have went to the hairdressers first then on to a beer garden. They won't know what to do with themselves after the pandemic is over the hippy hurs.

And look at the pinned tweet of the person who tweeted that. Absolute far right fruitcake, no wonder no one sane wants to be associated with them. Jesus. Thank you news media for not showing these freaks on our screens.

That's pretty wild.. And she's deadly serious with all the photos of skies across Europe.

https://twitter.com/CarolineCoramUK/status/1384056716111740931

Eddie, you might want to have a serious look at your life and try to pinpoint what led you to this moment.

Either is letting a virus like Covid rip through us either, there is no witch hunt going on or curtain twitching everyone can do what they like but personally would rather these scenes were delayed a few weeks into summer when more people are vaccinated.

“A few weeks “ ?? Are you for real ? That’s falling on deaf ears now ......it’s all people have heard from the beginning! The vulnerable and the old are mostly vaccinated, along with health care workers . Hospitals will NOT be overrun , the system will NOT collapse. People know this now. It’s beautiful weather , people are outdoors. They’ve given enough and want to live their lives. I’m delighted to see everyone getting back to enjoying themselves, particularly young people .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The people who keep saying just a few more weeks every time a lifting of some restrictions is mooted are so far down a rabbit hole that I fear for them when normality does resume in the not too distant future! The time for curtain twitching is over!
    If I lived in Galway and had no kids I’d have been in the middle of that party in salthill!
    The weather was excellent yesterday and will be today. The amount of ice, beer, wine and bbq meats that left my shop yesterday was mad! Loved seeing it!
    Let’s start to relax, still keep up the basic measures, get as many vaccinated and move on with life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Takes 10 days minimum for changes to show up in the numbers. Hopefully they don't go back up.

Yeah hopefully not. The 7 day moving average is ticking up a bit. The weather is not a magic protector from the virus. Vaccination will be the only way. Hopefully vaccination numbers increase faster than any case numbers.

551296.png

The weather is lovely in Delhi.

551295.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Let's call a spade a spade, how many people are actually following the recommendations at this stage?...I'd say 95% of people I know have been meeting up with people inside and outside and meeting up with their families etc. I'm a teacher in Dublin and every other teacher working here that I know from outside Dublin went home for Easter like myself. Will be the same next weekend. We're back playing 5/6 a side in the park with our football teams and many other teams in the park doing the same thing. Very little risk and the benefits far outweigh the risks. People know what's risky and what's not at this stage and can make their own decision. Wouldn't be going to house parties or meeting up with large groups of friends and I think most my age (mid 30s) have the same outlook. My Mum is even up in Dublin visiting her new born granddaughter as she said what is the point of staying locked up anymore. Life is for living

Agreed. Was delighted to see a party across the road from me last night - and they’re nurses, if they aren’t worried anymore why should anyone be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Nobody is really vaccinated now lets be real, my 79 year old granny was only done during the week, its as good as nobody.

Sorry, but that's completely misreprenting our vaccination program. Maybe not enough people are vaccinated, but we are making progress, nearly 25 percent of the adult population have received at least one dose. There might be frustration due to personal experience, but the vast majority of over 70s are now vaccinated.

Just a virus that effects over 70s, funny because a co worker of mine died 3 weeks ago aged mid 50s with no underlying condition, must of been the one unlucky under 70 person in the country to get covid and die.

Convinced you're a WUM now, the post you're replying didn't try to minimise effects of virus to under 70s, you're being disingenuous.

That's embarrassing and so disrespectful.

ETA: Look at her Twitter feed, she's a full blown conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Multipass wrote: »
    Agreed. Was delighted to see a party across the road from me last night - and they’re nurses, if they aren’t worried anymore why should anyone be?

Well they are vaccinated. Sort out the vaccination strategy and get people vaccinated ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It may be but it's also free speech.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It may be but it's also free speech.

No doubt, but also massively tone deaf. Also do they not have anything better to be doing?

No doubt, but also massively tone deaf. Also do they not have anything better to be doing?
    Many of us don't! It's what the effects of a year of this can look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Well they are vaccinated. Sort out the vaccination strategy and get people vaccinated ASAP.

If you think young people will hide away waiting for vaccinations, while the vaccinated party, you’ve got another thing coming

Many of us don't! It's what the effects of a year of this can look like.

UK is way more open than Ireland at this point in time.

UK is way more open than Ireland at this point in time.
    Sure but it doesn't mean people don't think it is isn't open enough and aren't reacting to that.

Multipass wrote: »
    If you think young people will hide away waiting for vaccinations, while the vaccinated party, you’ve got another thing coming

This thread has gone off the rails, might be good to have a virtual lockdown for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ETA: Look at her Twitter feed, she's a full blown conspiracy theorist.

Around the world all the leaders of these "protests" are.

Thats been constant.

Sure but it doesn't mean people don't think it is isn't open enough and aren't reacting to that.

If you lived in London, after a year of lockdown, including a pretty severe one from late December, what would you do, attend a march like that, or maybe just enjoy life instead of trying to join the brigade? You'd swear it was.a VE day march.

• Advertisement

If you lived in London, after a year of lockdown, including a pretty severe one from late December, what would you do, attend a march like that, or maybe just socialize with your friends instead of trying to join the brigade? You'd swear it was.a VE day march.
    Not my thing at all. Some people like to protest and we have our own usual suspects who'll follow a roadsweeper if it looks like a protest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement