Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Multipass wrote: »
    Agreed. Was delighted to see a party across the road from me last night - and they’re nurses, if they aren’t worried anymore why should anyone be?
    If you think young people will hide away waiting for vaccinations, while the vaccinated party, you’ve got another thing coming

So you were happy to see them party but it's not fair that they are partying while unvaccinated people are not allowed to?

I wouldn't begrudge some healthcare workers having an imaginary party after the very real year they've had even if it is in contravention to non Pharma interventions. It's not my job for one.

Looking at what other people do isn't justification for anybody's party. If you had a party and got pulled up on it by the gardai, you can't say "but they were having a party" .

Well you could but it would be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

So you were happy to see them party but it's not fair that they are partying while unvaccinated people are not allowed to?

I wouldn't begrudge some healthcare workers having an imaginary party after the very real year they've had even if it is in contravention to non Pharma interventions. It's not my job for one.

Looking at what other people do isn't justification for anybody's party. If you had a party and got pulled up on it by the gardai, you can't say "but they were having a party" .

Well you could but it would be irrelevant.

I don’t begrudge them at all other than the cars parked along my road were a little annoying, nor do I begrudge ANYONE from sitting on a beach in the blazing sun with their friends. No one needs ‘justification’, it’s time to get back to life, the elderly are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don’t begrudge them at all other than the cars parked along my road were a little annoying, nor do I begrudge ANYONE from sitting on a beach in the blazing sun with their friends. No one needs ‘justification’, it’s time to get back to life, the elderly are vaccinated.
    This type of mentality change has come up in polls and is not unexpected. Once we fully complete groups 1-7 and start in on the under 60s it is likely to become more widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i wouldnt mind seeing the over 60s vaxxed once anyway, all you really need now is one jab. dont think theres much to worry about after that, id let everything open. ok yu may have a few 40-60 die if unlucky or bad shape but its raw numbers we need to be worried about and shouldnt be anything to overwhelm the ICUs . thats what its all about. wouldnt worry about variants theres about 4000 of them and vaccines protect against all so far and will. shouldnt be a big deal if you get covid now or when over 60s are done. let it run through the rest.

Now...you see...how shall I put it?....

That's why you're not allowed make those decisions on behalf of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Everyone is really sick of it at this stage but non pharmaceutical interventions non are the only thing proven to work when the majority of the population haven't been vaccinated.

We heard the same arguments in December. "Time to x, time to y"

Reality is if you drop the non Pharma interventions then cases go up whether it's sunny or not.

We also heard about the casedemic and that was quickly disproved by the alarming rise in hospitalisations that followed.

Look it's great vaccinations are accelerating and it'll be amazing when we start approaching levels in UK etc but any country that has thrown caution to the wind has paid a price.

Some argue that it's a price worth paying and some do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

the elderly are vaccinated.

"Elderly" is over 65s. Only some of them have been vaccinated, and others are post vaccination but not yet protected.

And there's the whole of cohort 7 which has barely started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Sorry, but that's completely misreprenting our vaccination program. Maybe not enough people are vaccinated, but we are making progress, nearly 25 percent of the adult population have received at least one dose. There might be frustration due to personal experience, but the vast majority of over 70s are now vaccinated.

I have 10 relatives in their 70's. All vaccinated in the last 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

gazzer wrote: »
    I have 10 relatives in their 70's. All vaccinated in the last 10 days

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What the outrage from those “scenes” at Salthill yesterday showed me is how much some people are going to struggle adjusting back into normal life. Ive seen that video being shared over and over, the people in it being shamed and derided online, called selfish pricks for having the cheek to enjoy themselves on the finest day of the year so far.

Some people are just not ready to accept any kind of normal life again and will probably never be. The elderly and vulnerable are mostly vaccinated as are care workers. We have seen that we can cope with averaging 600 cases daily without overwhelming the hospitals so what is the big deal? I am just so confused at the level of anger out there about this. We have had a suspension of living for over a year, and on the finest day of the year so far some crowds gathered outdoors, where we are now being told is safe, and had the audacity one year on from this reclaim a bit of normality and live a little. There are some absolute losers out there who will need to take up another hobby once all this is over, one that doesn’t include shaming and mocking people online for living their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Some people are just not ready to accept any kind of normal life again and will probably never be.

I have this fear too. I've spoken with a few college friends who won't even go near a campus in September if 100% of the country isn't vaccinated. One or two of them even gave out to me for getting a takeaway coffee saying that I was risking myself and others. I am in my early 30s and said college friends are 18-19 year olds.

Normality will return but I'm afraid some people won't accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Someone else posted this one. I wasn't actually complaining about it, its nice to see a bit of life outdoors but they were away overcrowded in that section of the beach.

https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/1386030971791740929?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1386030971791740929%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058059988page%3D120

The FUQ?

People are actually clapping this type of ****e?
    I've just seen idiotic comments like "life is for living" on scenes like that and other similar moronic statements to similar scenes

Update: We are still in the middle of a Global Pandemic.

And yes its absolutely great to see people out and about as we can do here becsuse our infection rates has been kept low because of those self same restrictions.

And even with that there are no restrictions on going outside and enjoying ourselves. But stuff like that video is taking the PISS big time.

No social distancing whatsoever. No masks (and yes I know you don't have to wear them outdoors) but those eejits evidently believe that covid doesn't exist .

Ah I hear the chorus of "what harm" and "fair play to them" already being bellowed by the same few covid deniers and sceptics on here again and again.

Well lads its like this. Many decided at Christmas that we could relax social distancing and get together. And what happened?

We ended up with this

571oex.jpg

Want to go there again? Keep cheering this type of ****e and likely we will.

Ah more cries of "it couldn't happen again" we're vaccinated" "the weather is warm" and other bolloxology

Seriously? We have no where enough people vaccinated that yet another rise in infection won't leave our hospitals realing or God forbid one of those much abused 'scariants" pay us another visit.

And just to ram that home - the exact same ****e was being pushed in India with some there recently praising crowds and social distancing restrictions being done away with.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/modi-leads-india-out-of-lockdown-and-into-a-covid-apocalypse-cxwqzdt7j

https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20210414-india-s-covid-19-cases-hit-new-record-as-crowds-mass-at-ganges-for-hindu-festival

Couldn't happen here? No? India also was steaming ahead with its vaccinations and the weather was good.

India also had its rate of infection under control with India being the fastest country to administer 140 mn doses of Covid vaccine. And then they took their foot of the break.

But hey fuq that! As another poster here said
    Fair play to them. Life is for living and enjoying.

Tell that to those in India who can't even get into a hospital...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Rubbish. The majority of over 70s are vaccinated.

The majority have received one dose. That's not the same as fully vaccinated.

gozunda wrote: »
    The FUQ?

I've just seen idiotic comments like "life is for living" on scenes like that and other similar moronic statements to similar scenes

And yes its absolutely great to see people out and about as we can do here becsuse our infection rates has been kept low because of those self same restrictions.

And even with that there are no restrictions on going outside and enjoying ourselves. But stuff like that video is taking the PISS big time.

No social distancing whatsoever. No masks (and yes I know you don't have to wear them outdoors) but those eejits evidently believe that covid doesn't exist .

Ah I hear the chorus of "what harm" and "fair play to them" already being bellowed by the same few covid deniers and sceptics on here again and again.

Well lads its like this. Many decided at Christmas that we could relax social distancing and get together. And what happened?

We ended up with this

571oex.jpg

Ah more cries of "it couldn't happen again" we're vaccinated" "the weather is warm" and other bolloxology

Seriously? We have no where enough people vaccinated that yet another rise in infection won't leave our hospitals realing or God forbid one of those much abused 'scariants" pay us another visit.

And just to ram that home - the exact same ****e was being pushed in India with some there recently praising crowds and social distancing restrictions being done away with.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/modi-leads-india-out-of-lockdown-and-into-a-covid-apocalypse-cxwqzdt7j

https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20210414-india-s-covid-19-cases-hit-new-record-as-crowds-mass-at-ganges-for-hindu-festival

Couldn't happen here? No? India also was steaming ahead with its vaccinations and the weather was good.

India also had its rate of infection under control with India being the fastest country to administer 140 mn doses of Covid vaccine. And then they took their foot of the break.

Breaking news: we’re not India and it’s not December

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Some people are traumatised by the last year . They need time and space to get their heads around things
    I still can’t even imagine ever getting on plane or being in an airport again . But I will I am sure and get there one day
    But we all need patience with each other for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The FUQ?

We ended up with this

571oex.jpg

I mean this in the nicest of ways but I felt my blood pressure go up reading this :pac: breathe gozunda!

Breaking news: we’re not India and it’s not December

Didn't read the comment the? Fair enough.

Three things we have in common.

Eejits cheering crowds like that in Galway - the same thing happened in India just before the ****e hit the fan there.

India also had a very low rate of infection and a world acclaimed vaccination programme

Its not December in India either

The FUQ?

We ended up with this

571oex.jpg

Here's the IT poll from February which includes levels of support for restrictions once the at risk groups are done - 68% want to get back to normality. We are getting close to that scenario and you can see evidence of it happening already.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-strong-support-for-reopening-society-as-soon-as-possible-1.4495298

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This enough is enough shout went well coming into December, for that meaningful Christmas.

There is bending the rules and there's taking the absolute mick with street parties, 2 weeks from now there will be a spike no doubt about it.

I've noticed the people who are saying enough is enough and end the lockdown are the ones who havent experienced Covid themselves or lost someone to it, nobody who has is advocating for guidelines to end and Holohan to do one.

So you can categorically say that EVERYONE that is sick of the lockdown either didn't experience covid or lose someone to it?

Well I can tell you that I got covid in October (through silliness I must admit), as did my father, two of my brothers (one in the States) and my GF. And none of us have no qualms whatsoever with those out enjoying themselves yesterday. Credit to them living some semblance of a life.

Okay, I didn't lose someone directly to Covid, thankfully. But I have pretty much been unable to work my two jobs since last March, bar a short reprieve during the last re-opening. And yet, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel now, so yeah maybe I will treat myself to a few takeaway pints today. May as well enjoy the good weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

The FUQ?

We ended up with this

571oex.jpg

Give over you idiot. Come out from behind your sofa would you. Are you that scared of getting covid are you?
    Guess what, even if you do, you will more than likely have feck all symptoms.
    You realise most ppl dying with this are seriously ill anyway?
    Old ppl die. Get over it.
    Our response to this has been way over the top. The only figures that matter are the amount in hospitals. Which are now low.
    Our politicians are spinless. Open up ta feck. I'm off for a hike with many others on this lovely sunny day.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Here's the IT poll from February which includes levels of support for restrictions once the at risk groups are done - 68% want to get back to normality. We are getting close to that scenario and you can see evidence of it happening already.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-strong-support-for-reopening-society-as-soon-as-possible-1.4495298

So we should go with unqualified opinion and be damned with the consequences?

Not even Isreal - the world leaders in vaccination did that.

But hey we know better ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭FrankN1

It's been a tough year for everyone

The FUQ?

We ended up with this

571oex.jpg

I agree that scenes in Salthill were uncontrolled and probably not a great idea, but that's what happens when you have a prolonged prohibition of social outlets.

Arghus wrote: »
    The majority have received one dose. That's not the same as fully vaccinated.

Perhaps more accurate to say that they have received one vaccination, but the protection from even one is considerable and the poster that they were replying to made an even more inaccurate claim ' Nobody has really been vaccinated', which is simply not true and unfair to those involved in our vaccine rollout who have been working their butts off, as the supply comes in

Didn't read the comment the? Fair enough.

Three things we have in common.

Eejits cheering crowds like that in Galway - the same thing happened in India just before the ****e hit the fan there.

India also had a very low rate of infection and a world acclaimed vaccination programme

Its not December in India either

India’s vaccination of their total population is absolutely tiny. A fraction of ours

So we should go with unqualified opinion and be damned with the consequences?

Not even Isreal - the world leaders in vaccination did that.

But hey we know better ..
    You are fully entitled to vent but I doubt people will listen. I've shared a link which suggests that this is now what we are seeing. Within the next 2-3 weeks we should see the one or both shots to the over 80s, over 70s, the over 65s, Groups 1, 4 & 7, the homebound and if NIAC follow everyone else on J&J, minority groups and the homeless, the over 60s will be registered and hospitals may be below 100. It'll be so much harder to convince people of the risk at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Morning figures

174 in hospital

45 in ICU

Slight increase in hospital numbers but it is the weekend with fewer discharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

People meeting outside has shown to be a near negligible risk. It’s much preferable to people having house parties. Schools are open, that’s pods of 30 or so in confined spaces throughout the country. They’re a far bigger risk and people aren’t being as dramatic about it. Let’s see what galway is like in 5-8 days time. I doubt it’ll be much different than any other counties trend.

India’s vaccination of their total population is absolutely tiny. A fraction of ours

So all the other points are correct. Fine so.

India rate of vaccination is running at approx 50% of ours as a proportion of their total population (That's not a 'fraction" btw)

But scenes like that in Galway have nothing to do with our current rate of vaccination.

Its got to do with those who think they know better than everyone else.

We know that even world leaders in vaccinations such as Israel - didn't start to remove social distancing restrictions until they had approx 50% of people vaccinated.

People can already go out and enjoy themselves with our current restrictions. But some have decided they know better and fuq the consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

is_that_so wrote: »
    But the at-risk groups aren't done yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I agree that scenes in Salthill were uncontrolled and probably not a great idea, but that's what happens when you have a prolonged prohibition of social outlets.

Agree about prolonged prohibition of social outlets, we must remember this is of negligible risk to young people

The vulnerable are vaccinated as are HCW’s

Even one dose has massive efficacy if Luke o Neill is to be believed

The danger has passed in Ireland, but MM believes there might be a chance we can have a pint at the end of the year
    When asked on Newstalk if he could envision himself having a pint in a pub after work by the end of 2021 Mr Martin said: "At the end of 2021 I can. There will be a bit of nervousness around the Autumn and Winter because I believe there's a seasonality attached to this virus.

Speaking this evening the Taoiseach hinted that he would not like to see another lockdown put in place this year but added that caution needed to be taken in the winter period.

It’s now at a point where the only chance of normality before Summer 2022 is for people to actually socialise of their own accord and ignore the public health advice(which isn’t a good thing but it’s much to cautious right now)

Incidentally I believe it was recently proven less then 0.1% of cases are due to outdoor transmission, we’ll just ignore that though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement