Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Shameless from the government using COVID to bring in a measure that FG intended to get people back to the pubs

Going to be great fun when people drive over the border instead

And all this at a time when a significant number of people barely have a pot to piss in

Despicable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Open air dining starts in our town May 1st. Last year, the whole summer long the whole town was an open air dining experience.

Not one server/host/waiter(ess) got sick. Even though this was the height of the so called second wave. Where people did get sick was the indoor pick up facilities, coffee houses. That moved to outdoor pick up only.

Restaurants had their busiest season ever and saved a town that would have been destroyed if this had not occured.

I know our weather is better here, but what is the reasoning not to allow outdoor dining?once all the protocols are adhered to the evidence here would be that it works. It saves livelihoods and people enjoyed the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

I was out for a run around the city centre earlier this morning and through various parks.

The place was in bits. There were bottles and cans stacked around every bin and rubbish blowing everywhere.

My problem is not with the people drinking but rather with the council for not putting out proper bins etc. If they want people to meet outdoors etc they need to put the appropriate facilities in place to allow tbis

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Yep Tony has ruled out indoor dining for May and June.

That will be extended.

Can we have a sunset clause on Tony?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was out for a run around the city centre earlier this morning and through various parks.

The place was in bits. There were bottles and cans stacked around every bin and rubbish blowing everywhere.

My problem is not with the people drinking but rather with the council for not putting out proper bins etc. If they want people to meet outdoors etc they need to put the appropriate facilities in place to allow tbis

One solution would be recycle banks in parks

Theres a massive one at Malahide beach along with several very large bins.

I rarely see litter there

Same with Malahide Castle

Or people could just take their litter home of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

When do restaurants and pubs plan to open up north ? Asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

NSAman wrote: »
    Open air dining starts in our town May 1st. Last year, the whole summer long the whole town was an open air dining experience.

Not one server/host/waiter(ess) got sick. Even though this was the height of the so called second wave. Where people did get sick was the indoor pick up facilities, coffee houses. That moved to outdoor pick up only.

Restaurants had their busiest season ever and saved a town that would have been destroyed if this had not occured.

I know our weather is better here, but what is the reasoning not to allow outdoor dining?once all the protocols are adhered to the evidence here would be that it works. It saves livelihoods and people enjoyed the experience.

The variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

May 24th

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

24th May for indoor

30th April for outdoor

The North's economy is going to get a serious boost soon so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Night owl gal

hi everyone, quick question, is there a number to contact or a website where you can report a business for breaking covid restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Can we have a sunset clause on Tony?
    NPHET can be dissolved by the MoH, it is not permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭political analyst

This month, Dr Ronan Glynn justified the extended lockdown on the grounds of "putting public health first".

But why reduce the public good to public health?

Austrian theologian the late Fr Ivan Illich warned that the day would come when doctors in peacetime would be given the power of generals in wartime and that public-health concerns would become so overriding that sight of everything else would be lost, with damaging effects.

Most people in this country would be willing to take a managed risk when going about their lives, especially given that most of those people who would be most likely to die if they were infected (i.e. the elderly, younger people with serious underlying health issues) have been vaccinated. I'm sure that most of those people don't want everyone else to suffer on their account.

So why is every other aspect of the public good being sacrificed at the altar of NPHET?

hi everyone, quick question, is there a number to contact or a website where you can report a business for breaking covid restrictions?

No

If you're desperate you could phone the guards i suppose

What is this business supposedly doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,343 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think you are in for a shock come the end of May.
    MM is already talking about outdoors as the theme of our summer.

Not a chance we’ll be fully open this summer. I’d be surprised if we fully opened this year.

I fear you might be right. I saw a Martin interviewed by Kieran Cuddihy over the weekend and Cuddihy asked him could you see yourself watching a match with 10,000 others at Pairc ui Chaoimh before the end of the year. 10,000 in a 45,000 capacity stadium outdoors. At a time when practically almost everyone over 16 would be vaccinated. Martin almost had a conniption at the very thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Night owl gal

Stheno wrote: »
    No

If you're desperate you could phone the guards i suppose

What is this business supposedly doing?

ok, thanks. They're breaking the rule of indoor gatherings

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There has never been particularly good research by public health into community transmission

Fair enough when numbers were crazy high but surely they can do more now?

Its the vagueness of it all that astounds me.

It is brutally difficult to do quality research on it.
    There's viruses that are decades old and we don't know how they transmit in certain environments. Only way to know for sure would be a challenge trial get people outdoors to spend time with a range of covid positive people using various social distancing and masks measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They are also using different vaccines - some of which have lower efficacy.

Cases will go up likely until 50% of population / approx 70% of adults have got first dose - based on Israel and U.K. that’s the cutover point where cases drop dramatically...

Not sure we're you heard that about vaccines - but the facts are the AstraZeneca vaccine (made locally by the Serum Institute of India) accounts for more than 91% of the 115.5 million doses given in India.

India has so far injected 117 million vaccine doses, the highest globally after the United States and China, but that covers only a small fraction of its 1.35 billion people.

Vaccinations peaked at 4.5 million doses on April 5 but have since averaged about 3 million a day, according to government data, amid complaints about shortages from state and as a result India has now pledged massive boost in vaccine output as COVID-19 cases surge

I agree with you that cases will likley go up likely until 50% of population / approx 70% of adults have got first dose - and based on Israel and U.K. and that is accepted thats the cutover point where cases drop dramatically.

And thats why we continue to have restrictions on social distancing and close close contact activities and likley will have a range of restrictions on same until we reach those targets.

gozunda wrote: »
    Not sure we're you heard that about vaccines - but the facts are the AstraZeneca vaccine (made locally by the Serum Institute of India) accounts for more than 91% of the 115.5 million doses given in India.

India has so far injected 117 million vaccine doses, the highest globally after the United States and China, but that covers only a small fraction of its 1.35 billion people.

Vaccinations peaked at 4.5 million doses on April 5 but have since averaged about 3 million a day, according to government data, amid complaints about shortages from state and as a result India has now pledged massive boost in vaccine output as COVID-19 cases surge

I agree with you that cases will likley go up likely until 50% of population / approx 70% of adults have got first dose - and based on Israel and U.K. and that is accepted thats the cutover point where cases drop dramatically.

And thats why we continue to have restrictions on social distancing and close close contact activities and likley will have a range of restrictions on same until we reach those targets.

Shouldn't we hit that number of people vaccinated by June ?

Turtwig wrote: »
    It is brutally difficult to do quality research on it.
    There's viruses that are decades old and we don't know how they transmit in certain environments. Only way to know for sure would be a challenge trial get people outdoors to spend time with a range of covid positive people using various social distancing and masks measures.

I'm aware its difficult to do but not doing contact tracing beyond two days until recently is one example of where it could have been enhanced

By the vagueness I mean statements like Simon CoveneysMartin on Rte today. They appear to be incapable of actually planning anything more than a month in advance
    There are no plans to review the guidance on international travel till July

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0425/1211970-taoiseach-micheal-martin-the-week-in-politics/
    Speaking on RTÉ's This Week, Mr Coveney said: "What we will do, I think, is something very similar to what was done in March, when we gave as much certainty as possible for the month of April and then we gave a good indication of what was likely for May. I think we’ll give a lot of certainty for May."

Asked about dining and pubs, Mr Coveney said that the Government cannot make decisions "based on popularity or politics", but would do so based on public health advice.

He said that the National Public Health Emergency Team's next set of recommendations will be given to the Cabinet sub-committee this week and then acted on by the Cabinet itself on Thursday.

"Everybody wants to get to a point where we have incremental opening-up which includes inter-county travel at some point in the next number of months as well as hotels, restaurants, pubs, and so on.

"Realistically I think the month of May is going to be focused on the loosening of restrictions along the lines that I’ve just outlined and we, I hope, will be able to give clear signals based on what’s possible in June, July and into August, so businesses can start planning for that.

"I don’t think it’s right for me to start setting benchmarks and dates today, a few days out from when we’re going to get significant advice from NPHET."

On a report that Dr Holohan has advised against indoor dining before July, Mr Coveney said: "Let’s wait and see what Tony says to the Cabinet sub-committee on Wednesday or Thursday and we’ll talk that through with him as we always do.

"NPHET does guide the positions that the Government takes here. The focus, I think, as the Taoiseach has outlined today, and the Tánaiste repeatedly talks about, is to make sure that we go forward and don’t go backwards again.

So they hope to be able to signal what may happen in June July and August in May

Thats just ridiculous at this stage tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It’s not the council’s fault.it’s the fcukin degenerates that can’t bring their rubbish with them and see it as someone else’s problem and leave it there after them.
    A generation of entitled,selfish,useless fcukin slobs is what this country has reared.
    Any fcukin gombeen found to throw rubbish from a car or litter in general should get 100 hours picking rubbish as community service.
    I’m fcukin sick to the back teeth of it.we cleaned our local roads last year at our own expense and they are destroyed with rubbish again.
    A certain red and white themed takeaway has a lot of the slobs as customers it seems.and they stand out like a sore thumb on a ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

is_that_so wrote: »
    NPHET can be dissolved by the MoH, it is not permanent.

The first thing he should do is give it its correct name, the National Covid Team.

It should not be allowed to label itself a Public Health team when it clearly does not give a single **** about any aspects of public health other than Covid 19.

A group truly concerned about Public Health in its entirety would not be making that decisions that NPHET have made to date.

Coveney: "Everybody wants to get to a point where we have incremental opening-up which includes inter-county travel at some point in the next number of months“.

“The next number of months!”

😂

If it’s any consolation to people, I drove from Dublin to Sligo on Friday to check out a house that I am shortly to close on, spent the day on the west Sligo beaches, and encountered not a single guard at any border

I see RTE are reporting that hospital numbers have increased since yesterday

Someone should probably let them know that this happens EVERY SINGLE ****ING WEEKEND

Morons

I'm aware its difficult to do but not doing contact tracing beyond two days until recently is one example of where it could have been enhanced

As I understand it they only added extra questions to the standard questionnaire. Given our case numbers I don't think we'd have the capacity to do the extensive tracing needed. However, when the numbers were lower and we did have the capacity we didn't. It was a travesty that. Now it's largely too late and the current retrospective stuff is just a token gesture. Better than nothing mind!

The first thing he should do is give it its correct name, the National Covid Team.

It should not be allowed to label itself a Public Health team when it clearly does not give a single **** about any aspects of public health other than Covid 19.

One of their core objectives is the protection of public health services which includes the preservation of the pathways to non covid health care. You can't isolate one from the other.

So after the mail claiming NPHET don’t want to ok outdoor dining for May and June, Dr Ray Walley all over the radio bulletins today echoing the same, arguing for a more conservative reopening that doesn’t include even outdoor dining.

It’s a completely synchronised campaign to try and get the public on their side so government can’t possibly go against it. Walley wasn’t forced against his will to do so many radio interviews. But he did. Not sure how a GP is an expert now on outdoor spread of Covid.

Outdoor dining should be opening tomorrow. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

gozunda wrote: »
    And yet those "very severe" restrictions are nothing like they were when first brought in to help reduce high rates of infection. And atm we're in maintenance mode whilst we get our vaccination programme fully rolled out.
    I realise that, but saying that a relatively safe activity like for example outdoor dining can't resume because there is a risk that people might car-pool (or whatever) is increasingly hard to justify when there are no proper statistics to quantify that risk. That might have been fine a year ago, but it sounds a bit seat-of-the-pants now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Whatever one's opinion on the safety of the various types of outdoor gatherings, you shouldn't need "facilities" to not litter. Bins would be nice to have, absolutely, but if you can bring your stuff to the park, you can bring the substantially lighter rubbish home.
    "Oh, I had to smash these bottles in this field because the government didn't provide a bin for me..." :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement