Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sonofenoch wrote: »
    The idea that a good day out involves being surrounded by a crowd of strangers would always be lost on me .....pandemic or not

Well, yeah, if you were to stand in the middle of them on your own and not know anyone it probably wouldn't be most people's idea of fun.

But I see mostly people in small groups of friends who in turn are beside other groups of people...like in a pub.

Unless you only go into pubs where you're friends with everyone in that pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm aware its difficult to do but not doing contact tracing beyond two days until recently is one example of where it could have been enhanced

By the vagueness I mean statements like Simon CoveneysMartin on Rte today. They appear to be incapable of actually planning anything more than a month in advance
    There are no plans to review the guidance on international travel till July

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0425/1211970-taoiseach-micheal-martin-the-week-in-politics/

So they hope to be able to signal what may happen in June July and August in May

Thats just ridiculous at this stage tbh

So Dr Holohan came back just in time to make sure Ireland might suffer a crueller summer than last year? No indoor dining despite projected vaccination figures?
    People have stopped listening thanks to this ultra conservative approach. There are a litany of other problems cropping up. As soon as the vaccination 1st dose threshold is reached, our attention should be turned elsewhere and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If bins are full why can't individuals bring their rubbish home or to another near by bin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If bins are full why can't individuals bring their rubbish home or to another near by bin

Because they are lazy,entitled,good for nothing slobs.a fcukin plague on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The country is running out of road financially and the sooner it happens the better to end this nphet/saint Tony grip on the people of this once free republic.
    We're not really, borrowing costs fell this year and will fall again next year despite how much we're borrowing.

That's no excuse however for keeping businesses closed longer than required, and lockdowns are not an alternative to vaccinating people as quickly as possible. The hospitality industry in particular desperately needs to reopen during as much of Summer as possible, and every week of a delay might mean the difference between a business surviving or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We would be seeing any spike from schools by now wouldn’t we?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

prunudo wrote: »
    Tbh, i think they think its only a certain cohort meeting up. Hence why they'll blame students or younger people. I think they believe the majority aren't visiting family or friends in private gardens and houses.
    Maybe as you say, they're just turning a blind eye to it, but their road maps don't tally with where the public seem to think the risk is.

The government have access to national mobility data, they know exactly what is happening. They have people on the ground, gardai reporting up, local authorities and public health so there is no information gap. It looks like they've decided that the best way to manage the way people are taking this relaxation into their own hands is to not endorse it. Which is probably all they can do as to endorse it would have more people pushing boundaries.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Details from the NPHET meeting Thursday.

A bit shocking for me tbh

Tony essentially refusing to consider any firm easing of restrictions at all

All feels a bit hopeless if the government refuse to challenge this
    Dr Holohan told the meeting that the endgame for easing Covid restrictions is impossible to finalise because of the inability to be certain about the effectiveness of the vaccine programme. One source who attended the meeting warned that hopes of fans attending Croke Park or ‘normal’ indoor dining are hopes for the ‘distant future’.

Tanáiste Leo Varadkar and Higher Education Minister Simon Harris indicated this week that indoor dining and hospitality may return in June.

The Cabinet is due to meet on Tuesday, and again on Thursday to discuss the latest public advice from NPHET before announcing its plan to ease restrictions ahead of the summer months. Dr Holohan’s stance is likely to anger several ministers who have publicly backed a more immediate easing of restrictions. However, the Government is unlikely to deviate substantially from the advice it is given by NPHET.

Sources who attended this week’s briefing said Dr Holohan stressed the importance of holding firm ahead of the Cabinet meeting and potential showdown. He praised NPHET members for their successes, in particular the return of schools, but warned that they face a long and difficult week ahead.

One NPHET member said: ‘He [Dr Holohan] said that it is also difficult to explain to the public why some measures are mandated. He warned members that they were facing a long, intense discussion on Wednesday and he urged them to go away and have a hard think about things before that pivotal meeting.

https://extra.ie/2021/04/25/news/irish-news/cmo-holohan-puts-dampener-on-gov-summer-plans-at-nphet-return-meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

RTE mathematicians claiming that COVID is claiming a life every 4 minutes in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Details from the NPHET meeting Thursday.

A bit shocking for me tbh

Tony essentially refusing to consider any firm easing of restrictions at all

All feels a bit hopeless if the government refuse to challenge this

https://extra.ie/2021/04/25/news/irish-news/cmo-holohan-puts-dampener-on-gov-summer-plans-at-nphet-return-meeting

Good old Tony

The real boss is back in town and society will suffer as a consequence with an even more drawn-out cautious easing of restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

The fact remains tony doesn't make the decision it's the government

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good old Tony

The real boss is back in town and society will suffer as a consequence with an even more drawn-out cautious easing of restrictions

And we have posters here stating NPHET dont want to maintain restrictions.

Even last month NPHET didnt want to allow kids non contact training to return until an undetermined date in may and then only for u/13 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Panrich wrote: »
    RTE mathematicians claiming that COVID is claiming a life every 4 minutes in India.
    Did they say how they came to that number? There's 1440 minutes in a day and the average number of (recorded) deaths per day over there is currently 2143...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

seamie78 wrote: »

The fact remains Govt. doesn't make the decision it's Tony :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The detail coming out of that meeting paints a disturbing picture tbh that NPHET and in particular Holohan appear to be out of touch

Refusing to put any dates as the vaccine effect is unknown?

There is little hope for any change reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Panrich wrote: »

Hardly complicated maths - although considering there were nearly 3000 deaths yesterday and there are 1440 minutes in a day - I’d say they are wrong

If you believe that I've a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you

Tony & NPHET will get exactly what they want

That article shows their mindset

We can look forward to hospitality being shut down for half the year by end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 15,690 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is it.

Tony H can recommend actions but it’s the govt who make the decisions.

The detail coming out of that meeting paints a disturbing picture tbh that NPHET and in particular Holohan appear to be out of touch

The vaccine effect is unknown on the Irish population because the uptake remains an unknown. Summer success are saying that the HSE have been disappointed with the uptake in the over 60's group. As you work down through the age groups you are likely to have lower uptake. A weaker than expected uptake will prolong the restrictions.

Without knowing the context of his comments, there really is little that can be drawn from what's being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

In a sudden burst of hope, and optimism, on RTE today MM actually said:

"I don't believe we can seal off Ireland forever".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, so it's gone from flatten the curve to wait until the vulnerable are vaccinated to wait until the entire adult population is vaccinated and now to we don't know how effective the vaccinations will be so let's just write off the year. Complete fúcking joke, I don't know how anyone could defend that policy (I'm sure many on here will though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

If this is related to my comment, I totally agree. Thankfully the vast majority of us are cleaner than the manky minority of us. I just hate seeing bins full and overflowing, especially in the afternoon when it was litter from the previous night.

Anyway I digress :D

Lol, so it's gone from flatten the curve to wait until the vulnerable are vaccinated to wait until the entire adult population is vaccinated and now to we don't know how effective the vaccinations will be so let's just write off the year. Complete fúcking joke, I don't know how anyone could defend that policy (I'm sure many on here will though).

Might as well write off next year as well if the vaccines aren't effective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

humberklog wrote: »
    Well, yeah, if you were to stand in the middle of them on your own and not know anyone it probably wouldn't be most people's idea of fun.

But I see mostly people in small groups of friends who in turn are beside other groups of people...like in a pub.

Unless you only go into pubs where you're friends with everyone in that pub.

Well not pubs specifically, or events paid for .........but Christ almighty I could think of nothing worse than sitting in the middle of a crowded beach for example, I've just never seen the appeal

That was only ever the secondary message, racing to the situation at the time. The overarching message has always been about protecting the health service so that it can continue to function.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭prunudo

But as has played out throughout the last 14 months, in the days leading up to a new announcement, the media court nphet and in particular the cmo, reporting soundbites and what they want. It makes it very difficult for the government to go against them. So yes the government make the decisions but nphet are pulling the strings no matter how some posters on here think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It really depends where we are on all the various metrics by June. If they are all very low it will be a lot easier for the government to consider NPHET's advice just that. The problem may well be the anxious MM wing of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Covid is making the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭prunudo

And to think if you had previously typed any one of those scenarios in isolation over the last 14 months you'd be told to go to the CT forum.

• Advertisement

Disturbing if it’s true. Cult like with the praising of its members and reminding them to have a long hard think before Wednesday.

Problem is, what they say will be accepted in some guise. We have no opposition currently in the dail. The only hope is Leo or a backbench FFer but even the likes of Jim O’Callaghan have gone silent recently. And slim pickings if the country is relying on people like him for opposition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement