Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In a sudden burst of hope, and optimism, on RTE today MM actually said:

"I don't believe we can seal off Ireland forever".

Pity we couldn't seal it off for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Tony/NPHET of course don't run the country, but MM is not going to challenge them on their word, especially after the shítshow after Christmas.

They'll recommend, but our government will go ahead with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Dr Holohan told the meeting that the endgame for easing Covid restrictions is impossible to finalise because of the inability to be certain about the effectiveness of the vaccine programme

Eh...maybe have a look at Israel or the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Ficheall wrote: »
    Whatever one's opinion on the safety of the various types of outdoor gatherings, you shouldn't need "facilities" to not litter. Bins would be nice to have, absolutely, but if you can bring your stuff to the park, you can bring the substantially lighter rubbish home.
    "Oh, I had to smash these bottles in this field because the government didn't provide a bin for me..." :rolleyes:

You absolutely shouldn't need facilities to not litter. The fact of the matter is people are littering so either they need more bins or more litter wardens because the current system is not working.

It resulted in town being in absolute ****e today for anyone who wanted to get out early and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Surely we could have found 11000 fully vaccinated people in the country by June to host a few games of football. 20% capacity.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0425/1211975-taoiseach-hits-out-at-uefas-premature-crowds-stance/

What would have been the risk? Risk adverse will kill the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Vaccinations should be making the decisions, but apparently even that is up in the air. The head of the HSE saying we are in the endgame but NPHET throwing doubts on vaccinations? Sure somebody will be along with the 'we just don't know', ' follow health advice' spiel' that have cobwebs on them at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Have hope everyone, the government will guide us successfully out of lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

saabsaab wrote: »
    Covid is making the decisions.
    Not quite, there's also a large dollop of what might or what might not happen in their decision making. The comments on the effectiveness of vaccination programmes will not be welcomed by the HSE who are trying to get everyone vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Eh...maybe have a look at Israel or the UK you ****ing clown

It’s hard listen to that man

I’d love to see a graph of cases vs hospitalisation’s over the past month in Ireland

We’ve probably had about 10,000 cases but how many were admitted to hospital in that time?

What’s the fatality rate over the past while with the vaccination programme so advanced?

With the vulnerable and HCW’s vaccinated this is no longer the threat it ever was but we’re still approaching this like April 2020

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was only ever the secondary message, racing to the situation at the time. The overarching message has always been about protecting the health service so that it can continue to function.

There's less then 200 people in hospital for **** sake. The health services have been protected and are able to function just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

funnydoggy wrote: »
    If this is related to my comment, I totally agree. Thankfully the vast majority of us are cleaner than the manky minority of us. I just hate seeing bins full and overflowing, especially in the afternoon when it was litter from the previous night.
    Anyway I digress :D

It's everywhere, bins overflowing, rubbish and masks on the ground, beer cans, coffee cups etc., just take them home so everyone can enjoy outdoors

There is reuseable coffee cups

saabsaab wrote: »
    Covid is making the decisions.

Pure rot. The government contains the power to reopen the country tomorrow with hospitalisation/ICU admissions so low. Instead, it has abdicated all responsibility to a single-issue entity obsessed with case numbers and little else. If they were genuinely "concerned" about health that would also include the mental health of a frustrated nation. And Tony doesn't give one solitary damn about the hospitality sector and tens of thousands of livelihoods contained within, it is all about him holding the reins and arrogantly browbeating the public into submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Kiith wrote: »
    There's less then 200 people in hospital for **** sake. The health services have been protected and are able to function just fine.

No need for the abusive language. Nphet obviously feel that there are still enough people susceptible to hospitalisation out there and are obviously concerned that the variants in which the vaccine is less effective could take hold and become dominant.

They are the experts here, not you or I.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Why would there have been arrests in the first place?

No need for the abusive language. Nphet obviously feel that there are still enough people susceptible to hospitalisation out there and are obviously concerned that the variants in which the vaccine is less effective could take hold and become dominant.

There are no variants that do that, no matter what you imagine NPHET's concern is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And Tony doesn't give one solitary damn about the hospitality sector and tens of thousands of livelihoods contained within, it is all about him holding the reins and arrogantly browbeating the public into submission.

Not quite true. Tony cares very deeply about stopping people from drinking, by any means necessary.

Why would there have been arrests in the first place?

Arrested for "living", that's another one for the archives. We'll look back on this a year from now and cringe with acute embarrassment, especially those who took sadistic relish in spying on the enjoyment of others and reporting them to the Guards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sorry, but at this stage the language is justifiable. The day before a minor easing of restrictions they once again come out with this negative, fearful bull****. "No you can't do this, no you can't do that." What can we do? And when can we do it? What do we need to do to get to where NPHET think a re-opening is ok? Pretty sure they've not told anyone, at least not the public.

They are so afraid of giving any sort of plan, but are quite happy to continue to tell people they can't live their lives. Madness :mad:

Pure rot. The government contains the power to reopen the country tomorrow with hospitalisation/ICU admissions so low. Instead, it has abdicated all responsibility to a single-issue entity obsessed with case numbers and little else. If they were genuinely "concerned" about health that would also include the mental health of a frustrated nation. And Tony doesn't give one solitary damn about the hospitality sector and tens of thousands of livelihoods contained within, it is all about him holding the reins and arrogantly browbeating the public into submission.

I really believe there is people happy to remain in this dour soulless existence for the rest of their days

Can’t understand why

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

. Nphet obviously feel that there are still enough people susceptible to hospitalisation out there and are obviously concerned that the variants in which the vaccine is less effective could take hold and become dominant.

We cant live our lives expecting a variant that may or may not even exist yet.

If that's the case they could keep us locked down forever - theres always going to be variants of any virus - none of those experts can tell the future.

As for whether they are experts - True but they are experts in medicine and health related issue.

NPHET should have had some economists / business people as members from the beginning of this pandemic to stop their advice being so one sided.

It’s hard listen to that man

I’d love to see a graph of cases vs hospitalisation’s over the past month in Ireland

We’ve probably had about 10,000 cases but how many were admitted to hospital in that time?

What’s the fatality rate over the past while with the vaccination programme so advanced?

With the vulnerable and HCW’s vaccinated this is no longer the threat it ever was but we’re still approaching this like April 2020

The proportion of cases that get hospitalised has roughly halved since February. 100 cases resulted in about 8 admissions, now it’s about 4. When cohort 7 have their vaccine the risk will be even lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Not seen frustration like this online in a while tbh. I hope Tony's message faces some criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Not seen frustration like this online in a while tbh. I hope Tony's message faces some criticism.

I hope Tony gets everything he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Stheno wrote: »

Share everyone's frustrations with Tony's perspective. We should not extend restrictions beyond what is absolutely necessary. The collateral damage to businesses, peoples livelihoods and their mental health is enormous.

Earlier in the week Tony said "progress enables us 'to be ambitious' in easing restrictions" and now this.

I think Tony mainly seems to have major issues with indoor dining and indoor multi-household gatherings. But all he said was these should not occur in May or June. Government want these activities in June. I wonder if the compromise will be that these activities end up occurring in late June or 1 July.

Maybe the roadmap will be:
    - May: retail, personal services (hairdressers, gyms for individual exercise etc), rest of construction etc.
    - early June: Outdoor dining.
    - Late June/1 July: Indoor dining, hospitality and indoor multi-household gatherings.

I hope Tony gets everything he deserves.
    He'll just go back to being the CMO when NPHET is disbanded.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    We cant live our lives expecting a variant that may or may not even exist yet.

NPHET should have had some economists / business people as members from the beginning of this pandemic to stop their advice being so one sided.

Think I read before something like 90% of NPHET have a role or link to the HSE somewhere? Smacks of group think tbh. I know they’ve added Ferguson and Butler from the government/NIAC, but, that’s what, 2 out of 30 that are independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don't think that extra.ie article is one bit reliable. NPHET themselves have published modelling data on the impact of vaccination. There was nothing negative about it. The. CMO letter to MOH of health should be available tomorrow. While, I've no doubt the media will look for the worst possible interpretation and snippets from it, I am very much looking forward to the outlook it presents.

The proportion of cases that get hospitalised gas roughly halved since February. 100 cases resulted in about 8 admissions, now it’s about 4. When cohort 7 have their vaccine the risk will be even lower.

Thanks RD

So we’ve at least halved using data from February

But accounting for the vaccinations since February likely 1 million id like to see the last month specifically

We could be down to 2 admissions per 100 or less right now

This virus is at least half as dangerous and far less likely to transmit in hospital

Ya wouldn’t think it

• Advertisement

seamie78 wrote: »
    The fact remains tony doesn't make the decision it's the government

Very naive to think that Tony is not political

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement