Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Would you seriously like to see groups of more than 6 people going for a walk or having a picnic or few drinks, arrested? :(

No but I was just saying why they would be arrests

But do 20 people or more have to meet up even outside for a sesh in one group

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Expecting people to holiday at home and not have restaurants open simply doesn’t work

JTMan wrote: »
    Share everyone's frustrations with Tony's perspective. We should not extend restrictions beyond what is absolutely necessary. The collateral damage to businesses, peoples livelihoods and their mental health is enormous.

Earlier in the week Tony said "progress enables us 'to be ambitious' in easing restrictions" and now this.

I think Tony mainly seems to have major issues with indoor dining and indoor multi-household gatherings. But all he said was these should not occur in May or June. Government want these activities in June. I wonder if the compromise will be that these activities end up occurring in late June or 1 July.

Maybe the roadmap will be:
    - May: retail, personal services (hairdressers, gyms for individual exercise etc), rest of construction etc.
    - early June: Outdoor dining.
    - Late June/1 July: Indoor dining, hospitality and indoor multi-household gatherings.

This seems rational and measured. I think the game is up as regards restrictions once kids finish school at the end of June or else people will book foreign holidays breaking down MHQ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I notice themes in some of the posting styles here. It's interesting to me and I'm always curious as to how others are handling things and if there's anything I can learn.
    Well, according to some posters,
    many people who are not vehemently antilockdown masturbate furiously every time they hear some bad news, so I guess you could try that..

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No but I was just saying why they would be arrests

But do 20 people or more have to meet up even outside for a sesh in one group

No they don't but they wanted to. It's sad that we even ask those questions now. What was once natural and commonplace has become unwelcome. I think the attitudinal shifts which Covid created will be around for a while when the pandemic is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Gael23 wrote: »
    Expecting people to holiday at home and not have restaurants open simply doesn’t work
    Have you informed the virus of this?

Restaurants can be open - outside. The problem is inside, and it will take a substantial increase in the numbers vaccinated (hopefully end June) along with whatever extra time the government wants to give it to be sure that they won't have to tell pubs and restaurants to close yet again.

We had the same pressure last November. "Sure you can't have Christmas without the pubs and restaurants open", and the Government opened things too early. I doubt they'll repeat the same mistake as they will be absolutely crucified if they have to shut things a few weeks later.

hmmm wrote: »

Restaurants can be open - outside. The problem is inside, and it will take a substantial increase in the numbers vaccinated (hopefully end June) along with whatever extra time the government wants to give it to be sure that they won't have to tell pubs and restaurants to close yet again.

We had the same pressure last November. "Sure you can't have Christmas without the pubs and restaurants open", and the Government opened things too early. I doubt they'll repeat the same mistake as they will be absolutely crucified if they have to shut things a few weeks later.

We’re talking irish weather here. It’s not friendly to outdoor living. Also many restaurants and cafes don’t have capacity to be viable on an outdoor only basis.

Does Tony have the power to stand in the way of people getting the Digital Green Pass for EU travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Alternatively they will be crucified when a lot of the population is vaccinated and hospitality remains shut due to an 'abundance of caution' and people still can't travel for foreign holidays

Also keeping hundreds of thousands out of work and further increasing national debt

Gael23 is right Expecting people to holiday at home and not have restaurants open simply doesn’t work

That's basically paying for takeaways in a very expensive room

The government knows this

The end of June is the furthest they will get away with

That's over 6 months with hospitality shut seeing as it shut before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Gael23 wrote: »
    We’re talking irish weather here. It’s not friendly to outdoor living. Also many restaurants and cafes don’t have capacity to be viable on an outdoor only basis.
    We've had this several times now. We're in a pandemic, it wouldn't kill people to wear a jumper just this once. The last two bank holiday weekends had super weather, and lots of people have been sitting outside drinking take-away pints and eating food from burger vans.

The restaurant association and the councils (in Dublin at least) between them appear to have missed the boat. They're still talking about trialing things and crayoning how Dublin could look like Paris, when what was needed was a giant tarpaulin in the street and a message that "we need your support and it's not ideal, but it's only for this year."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pure bull. 45 in ICU and well under 200 in hospital across Ireland. Most of the elderly and vulnerable demographics have been vaccinated, nursing homes virtually free of Covid. You could have 1,000 cases daily identified in 20/30 somethings, how many of them will present in hospital? Almost none. The terminal threat has sharply receded, this walking on eggshells business is now redundant. Those who are afraid? Hide at home behind the couch, sit in the garden, do the knitting etc. Leave the rest of us well alone, life is not a rehearsal and should be enjoyed to the fullest.

Will you please stop saying that, its getting annoying at this stage, educate yourself. At least half of cohort 4 has to be vaccinated, cohort 7 is just starting as well as numerous 60s and 70s age cohorts. Maybe next month you can say that with a bit more credence.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No they don't but they wanted to. It's sad that we even ask those questions now. What was once natural and commonplace has become unwelcome. I think the attitudinal shifts which Covid created will be around for a while when the pandemic is over.

I suppose with us in ROI nearing 5,000 deaths, Covid19 has changed people's views and attitudes, everyone has been impacted and most are trying to adhere to the rules even if we do not agree

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I suppose with us in ROI nearing 5,000 deaths, Covid19 has changed people's views and attitudes, everyone has been impacted and most are trying to adhere to the rules even if we do not agree

There are certainly divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

I find it annoying that the Taoiseach on TV talks about (in reference to the travel restrictions) how we have a lot of Irish people living in the EU and neglects to mention the huge number of Europeans living in Ireland, heavily integrated into society and families and also key to the Irish economy.

It sort of sums up the failure to understand the shape of 2021 Ireland. It’s like a big chunk of politics sees Ireland circa 1981.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

OK lads.

India still not on the mandatory list.

Austria was though with some of the lowest levels.

Surely someone is having laugh here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Clearly.

I would love to see the full criteria for that list, because on the surface of it it seems like they drew countries out of a hat.

I can see why the Italian embassy was so annoyed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Clearly.

I would love to see the full criteria for that list, because on the surface of it it seems like they drew countries out of a hat.

Yes.

It's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

hmmm wrote: »

Has the virus been informed to only affect people in pubs, restaurants and gym's but not Woodies, aldi or the local off license?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I honestly don't think so. I think things will snap back pretty quickly.

Society has had to adjust with changes to our daily lives that the mere suggestion of would have got you scoffed at 15 months ago.

It's not been a piece of cake, but if you consider how weirdly alien all of our lives are - all of them - compared to January 2020 and think that it is like that for everyone, in some form, across the whole of society. Everyone is carrying around their own personal quota of misery at some level at the moment. Then, in a sense, I'm amazed at how - despite all the totally explicable pain, boredom and suffering - society has, on balance, actually been pretty resilient up to this point, I would argue.

And this time around we'll be adjusting back to behaviours that were automatic, long established and taken for granted.
    Even during the height of the craziest periods of the pandemic these things couldn't be fully suppressed: it was human nature. And everytime there's any restriction loosened people need no encouragement to partake. I think the normal and the commonplace will be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Beasty wrote: »
    By my reckoning Ireland has recorded 199 Covid deaths so far this month. However looking at the daily reports a maximum of 62 of those deaths (not much more than 2 a day) occurred in April. Of course there will be deaths reported in May and later that occurred in April, so that is not a complete picture. However only a third or so of deaths reported have actually occurred in April. In March the total reported was 376, of which a maximum of 182 occurred during the month. Indeed another 38 deaths reported in April occurred in March

Where are you getting the 199 figure for April so far?

Here is CSO data:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries29/

Week ending Friday:

02-Apr = 36
    09-Apr = 17
    16-Apr = 15

Okay, there are two more weeks to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

tommybrees wrote: »
    Has the virus been informed to only affect people in pubs, restaurants and gym's but not Woodies, aldi or the local off license?

The virus loves alcohol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40203194.html%3ftype=amp
    "I've said on a number of occasions before - the virus loves alcohol. That is a concern for us.

That is basic science along with NPHET’s uncertainty with vaccines effectiveness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

The virus loves alcohol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40203194.html%3ftype=amp

That is basic science along with NPHET’s uncertainty with vaccines effectiveness

Reckon it could outdrink Paddy Losty?

cefh17 wrote: »
    Reckon it could outdrink Paddy Losty?

Ara I’m not sure, that man can really put stuff away

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

OK lads.

Austria had a bad outbreak of B.1.351 around the time MHQ was introduced. That’s why it’s on the list and not India

marno21 wrote: »
    Austria had a bad outbreak of B.1.351 around the time MHQ was introduced. That’s why it’s on the list and not India

Ah we just don’t update it

Bit like ignoring our vaccination programme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

OK lads.

What would you're metric being to adding India to the MHQ list?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Clearly.

I believe Its already been posted several times. Here it is again
    The Expert Advisory Group on Travel (EAGT) was established on 1 March 2021 to develop a method of risk assessing States and consider all concerns COVID-19 poses for travel.

The Group meets every two weeks to recommend amendments to the list of Designated States, taking into account:

• countries with outbreak involving known variants of concern

• countries with a very high 14-day incidence (≥500/100,000)

• countries with a high 14-day incidence (greater than 2.5 times Ireland’s 14-dau incidence but <500/100,000)

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/c7f7d-minister-for-health-announces-additions-to-list-of-designated-states/

Not exactly sure why the Italian embassy should be 'annoyed'. They currently have their own two tiered mandatory quarantine system.

The Italian government announced a five-day quarantine on the 30th March for all European arrivals or Italians arriving from European destinations. It began as a temporary measure to discourage Easter travel, but was renewed April 6. All arrivals will have to take a negative test at the end of the five days in order to leave quarantine. Otherwise travelers must remain in quarantine until they show a negative test.

Travelers from Austria and Non-European countries must quarantine for 14 days, with another mandatory test at the end of the period.

I believe the EAGT met this we with India being detailed for inclusion afaik.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-add-india-mandatory-quarantine-list-5419811-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Well not pubs specifically, or events paid for .........but Christ almighty I could think of nothing worse than sitting in the middle of a crowded beach for example, I've just never seen the appeal

Ah well each to their own, a day at the beach is often a good alternative to a day at a crowded pub.

GQ10vp.jpg

psYJY5.jpg

Although you guys don't have much choice these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Irish Times here and the Indo here have some leaks/news on the restriction lifting that will be announced this week.

- Times: Ministers are increasingly reluctant to announce anything for the month of May beyond the resumption of construction, the reopening of hairdressers and personal services, the phased return of retail and allowing in-person religious service.
    - Indo: Relaxations in May would cover non-essential services, personal services, such as hairdressing and barbering, museums and galleries, and religious services.
    - It is widely expected the beer gardens and outside dining will be allowed from June.
    - The Government is planning to allow up to 50 people at mass and regular religious services from mid-May – but not for funerals or weddings.There will be no further increase in the number allowed to attend a funeral mass, which rises from just 10 to 25 from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

JTMan wrote: »
    The Irish Times here and the Indo here have some leaks/news on the restriction lifting that will be announced this week.

- Times: Ministers are increasingly reluctant to announce anything for the month of May beyond the resumption of construction, the reopening of hairdressers and personal services, the phased return of retail and allowing in-person religious service.
    - Indo: Relaxations in May would cover non-essential services, personal services, such as hairdressing and barbering, museums and galleries, and religious services.
    - It is widely expected the beer gardens and outside dining will be allowed from June.
    - The Government is planning to allow up to 50 people at mass and regular religious services from mid-May – but not for funerals or weddings.There will be no further increase in the number allowed to attend a funeral mass, which rises from just 10 to 25 from today.

If that's accurate government have lost the plot. No outdoor dining until June but 50 people can meet indoors at mass (but not if it's a wedding or a funeral)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If that's accurate government have lost the plot. No outdoor dining until June but 50 people can meet indoors at mass (but not if it's a wedding or a funeral)?

Isn't that timeline what most expected though.

Like there's no shocks in there for me. I've read the articles and it's pretty much as was expected earlier last week as well.

The only thing that's a bit too slow is the outdoor dining. Apart from that May is as expected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement