Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Polar101

marno21 wrote: »
    Claire Byrne (who's 45) dropped a comment during the discussion on vaccine passports that people of her age won't expect to be vaccinated by the end of the summer.

Some of us do expect it, and I don't remember voting for her to be our spokesperson either. :)

oceanman wrote: »
    level 5 all summer with a few tweaks here and there is the plan i think...

and guess what? I was working on a Government contract but its on hold during Level 5........ what Department? The Passport Office!!! So as long as we don't determine what the actual Level is the Passport Office stays closed :mad:

gipi wrote: »
    I asked the HSE about this, and was told that anyone who is or will be 60 this year can register as a 60 yr old. The registration process only asks for year of birth to begin with.

And I happen to be in the exact category you mentioned - not 60 till near end of year.

this is correct. Its explained on the portal, you can definitely register now if you will be 60 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Interesting I got a different response as we asked regarding my mother as we were told nope, would be some small leeway but not by more than a month or so.

They won't be moving onto 59 year olds for a while yet as it's all done by age. You could have a bit of a wait yet.

My uncle registered this morning after speaking with a neighbor who works for HSE told him it was no problem to register as long as he was 60 in this calendar year. He won't be 60 until Christmas eve. The online process went through successfully. Whether he gets an appointment with the 60 year olds is another thing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

this is correct. Its explained on the portal, you can definitely register now if you will be 60 this year.

Can you point me to where on the portal please ??

All it says is "We're inviting people aged 60 to register today"

I see no mention of register now if your 60 this year and HSE live told me the opposite. They'd want to be pretty clear on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

India allowing pilgramages:
    COVID: India to allow Amarnath pilgrimage despite surge in cases

Why are we sending aid to a countries whose government are insisting on making things worse? There needs to be strings attached to any aid going forward. We can hardly help India is they insist on making things worse, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

My uncle registered this morning after speaking with a neighbor who works for HSE told him it was no problem to register as long as he was 60 in this calendar year. He won't be 60 until Christmas eve. The online process went through successfully. Whether he gets an appointment with the 60 year olds is another thing I suppose.

HSE live would want to update the information so in that case. Was told only yesterday by them not to register with the 60s

The process will go through anyway there's no web page validation of the details you give them, it's just to stagger demand on the site.

Either way the mother is waiting until the 59 year old group are called because realistically it makes no difference between 59 & 60 they won't get called any quicker by registering now

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

wes wrote: »
    India allowing pilgramages:
    COVID: India to allow Amarnath pilgrimage despite surge in cases

Why are we sending aid to a countries whose government are insisting on making things worse? There needs to be strings attached to any aid going forward. We can hardly help India is they insist on making things worse, FFS.

We're just virtue signaling. Everyone printing money these days anyway...
    I'd be more concerned about the mismanagement of our own finances here, hemorrhaging money while creating a welfare state through PUP and business closures.

Deaths in India per million are actually far lower than in Ireland, despite the fact that they are #2 in the world for Diabetes - that's 70 million people with diabetes.
    Their biggest issues are poverty, caste system, and poor hospitals.
    For poor people there the services are dire or non-existent.
    Pre-covid this was the case also. I literally saw 2 patients per hospital bed when I was there, and filthy conditions. On the flipside, you also have some of the wealthiest people in the world and super high-tech hospitals over there.

It's surprising that India has had such low fatalities from covid given these various problems they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, they really have to, only 132K J&J next month.

• Advertisement

Can someone please answer me if we are still in Level 5 (with the zoos and golf open)???

I am on a contract that will not open and that I cannot return to during Level 5. So what the fcuk level are we in now as my job is still on hold? Are we maintaining Level 5 all Summer with a few tweaks here and there? What is the plan?

They know that a lot of office return plans are tied to the levels, especially MNCs for which the decision is probably at head office outside of the country . So the longer that they can stay at level4 / 5 with tweaks the better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, they really have to, only 132K J&J next month.

but what about the abundance of caution :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

but what about the abundance of caution :eek:
    Depends on the day of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

We're just virtue signaling. Everyone printing money these days anyway...
    I'd be more concerned about the mismanagement of our own finances here, hemorrhaging money while creating a welfare state through PUP and business closures.

Deaths in India per million are actually far lower than in Ireland, despite the fact that they are #2 in the world for Diabetes - that's 70 million people with diabetes.
    Their biggest issues are poverty, caste system, and poor hospitals.
    For poor people there the services are dire or non-existent.
    Pre-covid this was the case also. I literally saw 2 patients per hospital bed when I was there, and filthy conditions. On the flipside, you also have some of the wealthiest people in the world and super high-tech hospitals over there.

It's surprising that India has had such low fatalities from covid given these various problems they have.

That assumed the numbers are accurate, and there are pretty big question marks. India is only seeing the equivalent of about 130 deaths per day in a country the size of UK. It just doesn't add up with the reports on the ground from locals, hospitals and funeral services. Delhi currently has considerably more covid patients in icu per capita than Belgium new York or Bergamo did during their peaks, with allegedly a fraction of the deaths those places saw

Deaths in India per million are actually far lower than in Ireland

Those figures are completely incorrect. Stories of doctors being forced to say deaths aren't covid etc all over the Internet. There is a massive cover up going on in India, they are getting twitter posts removed from people trying to tell the world what is going on over there.

We really need to make them get there house in order, as any aid is useless if the government refuses to take simple measures to mitigate the disaster.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    That assumed the numbers are accurate, and there are pretty big question marks. India is only seeing the equivalent of about 130 deaths per day in a country the size of UK. It just doesn't add up with the reports on the ground from locals, hospitals and funeral services. Delhi currently has considerably more covid patients in icu per capita than Belgium new York or Bergamo did during their peaks, with allegedly a fraction of the deaths those places saw

I do agree with you there, which is why I deliberately disregarded the cases numbers there.
    Deaths are a little more concrete, but again, their reporting may be weak.
    That said, even if the death toll were 10x the given figures, the situation there is comparable with many other countries.
    The big difference is the poverty, endemic diabetes (a comorbidity of covid), and poor access to hospitals and medical supplies in India.
    If deaths do climb significantly, those will be the key contributors.

I do agree with you there, which is why I deliberately disregarded the cases numbers there.
    Deaths are a little more concrete, but again, their reporting may be weak.
    That said, even if the death toll were 10x the given figures, the situation there is comparable with many other countries.
    The big difference is the poverty, endemic diabetes (a comorbidity of covid), and poor access to hospitals and medical supplies in India.
    If deaths do climb significantly, those will be the key contributors.

The images and videos we are seeing are from the places, that have hospital access. We are seeing middle and upper middle class people dieing. I can imagine its far, far worse in rural area's that have even less access to hospitals, then places like Dehli, and yet the Indian government is allowing pilgrimages to rural area's (the specific link I posted is even worse, as Kashmir is disputed between Pakistan, India and China, so if we see a lot of deaths, or masses of refugees pouring across borders, the Indians could trigger a war). Complete insanity, even Saudi Arabia is only allowing pilgrims who are vaccinated to go to Mecca, but in India they are just letting it rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭batman_oh

wes wrote: »
    The images and videos we are seeing are from the places, that have hospital access. We are seeing middle and upper middle class people dieing. I can imagine its far, far worse in rural area's that have even less access to hospitals, then places like Dehli, and yet the Indian government is allowing pilgrimages to rural area's (the specific link I posted is even worse, as Kashmir is disputed between Pakistan, India and China, so if we see a lot of deaths, or masses of refugees pouring across borders, the Indians could trigger a war). Complete insanity, even Saudi Arabia is only allowing pilgrims who are vaccinated to go to Mecca, but in India they are just letting it rip.

But if we relax a few restrictions we'll end up exactly like India because every aspect of Ireland is identical I hear.
    #HOLDFIRM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Nermal

LOL @ the pampered brains trust on this thread, wondering why India doesn't just pay one and a half billion people €350 a week to #stayathome.

batman_oh wrote: »
    But if we relax a few restrictions we'll end up exactly like India because every aspect of Ireland is identical I hear.
    #HOLDFIRM

Yeah, I do think we need to regain some perspective on it.
    It's really heartening to see the ICU and hospitalization figures dropping, and with more outdoor socializing/activities I think public morale and health will improve as a result.
    Looking at the media you'd think the zombie apocalypse was on our doorstep.

Proportionality and reason are as important as caution now.
    Hope to see businesses getting a chance to recover after this horrific year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just think its absolutely farcical that Holohan can drop in out of his role during a pandemic. All my sympathies are with him over the loss of his wife, but there needs to be consistency in the leadership. He's back and its all negative again after plenty of positivity from Glynn. George Lee is doing cartwheels

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

rob316 wrote: »
    I just think its absolutely farcical that Holohan can drop in out of his role during a pandemic. All my sympathies are with him over the loss of his wife, but there needs to be consistency in the leadership. He's back and its all negative again after plenty of positivity from Glynn. George Lee is doing cartwheels

I don't have any particular opinion on whether Holohan or Glynn is better at their specific jobs (except the Cervical scandal), we only get to see them in press conferences etc, but I will say Glynn was a way better, articulate speaker and while saying what needed to be said negatively, he put across the positivity much better. That is almost as important on a day to day basis, after a year of this, as actual progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Corholio wrote: »
    I don't have any particular opinion on whether Holohan or Glynn is better at their specific jobs (except the Cervical scandal), we only get to see them in press conferences etc, but I will Glynn was a way better, articulate speaker and while saying what needed to be said negatively, he put across the positivity much better. That is almost as important on a day to day basis, after a year of this, as actual progress.

The government are absent so the CMO is the public face of this, the population are looking to him for hope and keeping spirits up. Holohan is beyond cautious and more pessimistic. Minute one he came back, its back to words like "concern" and the headlines to go with it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0427/1212375-joe-walsh-tours/

Joe Walsh Tours has collapsed, all jobs gone, with immediate effect. Well done Ireland.
    Aer Lingus to announce job losses this Winter in the number of approx 900.

We are going back into the dark ages in terms of travel and connectivity. Shameful.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0427/1212375-joe-walsh-tours/

Joe Walsh Tours has collapsed, all jobs gone, with immediate effect. Well done Ireland.
    Aer Lingus to announce job losses this Winter in the number of approx 900.

We are going back into the dark ages in terms of travel and connectivity. Shameful.

And someone will be along any minute now claiming air travel was dying before Covid anyways .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Just wondered posters thoughts on this. My sisters company have been WFH since March 2020 and will continue with this policy until it's safe to go back to the office. Great. But, the manager recently has organised an outdoor team building event in early May with 12 employees, albeit, outdoors with food delivered etc etc.

Now we were wondering if the manager is not opening himself up for litigation if anyone of the employee's gets sick from this event. Like we know and understand it's probably very safe but there is that niggling doubt that this is against current restriction rules and as it's a Government Organisation it might be a rather fool hardy decision.

Are we over thinking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Stheno wrote: »

Tanaiste not Taoiseach in that 2nd tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stheno wrote: »

Thats Varadkar! Good to see penny finally drop. Hopefully councils get public toilets, benches, pedstrianisation, outdoor areas etc sorted asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thats Varadkar! Good to see penny finally drop. Hopefully councils get public toilets, benches, pedstrianisation, outdoor areas etc sorted asap

Or that they open up outdoor hospitality then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement