Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭timmyntc

seamus wrote: »
    That's not actually what she said, because she wouldn't say that. The EU President doesn't have the power to decide travel policy for member states.

What she did say was that because the vaccines in use in the USA are the same as the ones in the EU, any American vaccinated will be considered "as vaccinated" as an EU citizen.

This will allow for the movement of full vaccinated individuals freely within the EU.

Ireland already allows free movement of fully vaccinated travellers without quarantine.

Meaning that we are fully in alignment with the rest of the bloc and International travel is on the agenda this Summer - for fully vaccinated individuals.

You might have missed that though.

You may have missed the shift in EU policy on "non-essential" travel - if you are vaccinated you can travel for any reason.

In Ireland the official recommendation is still against all non-essential travel into/out of the country. This line has not changed and there is no clarification that it will change - going by govt & NPHET statements, it sounds like non-essential travel is still off the cards all summer.

There is also still a €2000 fine if you are found to be attempting to travel outside the state without an essential-purpose for doing so. (Tourism is not deemed essential)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Wow that could be a game changer considering the amount of people under 50 who have had COVID

Should really speed up vaccinating 49 and under groups

We've had 248,000 covid cases in total, and about 140,000 of those are people between the ages of 16 and 49. We will have more vaccines that we need from July onwards, so I don't think this will make much difference to the pace of rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wow that could be a game changer considering the amount of people under 50 who have had COVID

Should really speed up vaccinating 49 and under groups

Close to 250,000 confirmed cases. Wonder how many are under 50 and haven't already received 2 doses of a vaccine?

marno21 wrote: »
    212 extra swabs giving 4 less tests.

A very minor improvement but a welcome one

Very welcome. After a rise last week, it feels like we are stabilising again. The increased pace of vaccinations should start pushing down numbers now, and we are starting from a pretty good place (or at least better than almost anywhere else in the EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We've had 248,000 covid cases in total, and about 140,000 of those are people between the ages of 16 and 49. We will have more vaccines that we need from July onwards, so I don't think this will make much difference to the pace of rollout.

Why is that?

Turning 140,000 people into one dose vaccines should speed things up I would have thought

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    You may have missed the shift in EU policy on "non-essential" travel - if you are vaccinated you can travel for any reason.

In Ireland the official recommendation is still against all non-essential travel into/out of the country. This line has not changed and there is no clarification that it will change - going by govt & NPHET statements, it sounds like non-essential travel is still off the cards all summer.

I do not think it is constitutionally possible to allow non-essential travel within the country borders, but not to allow travel abroad (or at least not to allow travel to countries with infection rates lower than Ireland and without variants of concern)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why is that?

Turning 140,000 people into one dose vaccines should speed things up I would have thought

Can you identify that 140k people easily or is it same thing as cohort 4 and 7 where data is all over the place. Cos if it's the latter, the attempts to identify them might take us longer than it takes to just vaccinate them.

Also, NIAC advised but is that valid for the EU travel cert cos if it's not, no one will want just the one dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I do not think it is constitutionally possible to allow non-essential travel within the country borders, but not to allow travel abroad (or at least not to allow travel to countries with infection rates lower than Ireland and without variants of concern)
    Correct.

The non-essential travel restriction only applies to one leaving their county.

We know this restriction will be lifted before or near the start of the Summer.

Until its been taken to court, the fines will remain and the pseudo ban on non-essential travel is still in place.

This is whats affecting the Irish aviation industry. It is not something mirrored across all of EU - they are preparing to open for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

titan18 wrote: »
    Can you identify that 140k people easily or is it same thing as cohort 4 and 7 where data is all over the place. Cos if it's the latter, the attempts to identify them might take us longer than it takes to just vaccinate them.

Also, NIAC advised but is that valid for the EU travel cert cos if it's not, no one will want just the one dose.

I'd imagine it shouldn't be that hard

I know the HSE gathers name, dob, pps number, mobile phone, gp name at testing

Do we text out positive results to people?

Still should be doable system

Prove you have had it with PCR test result one dose

Can't prove it two doses

EU travel cert is up to member states afaik

If Ireland say you're fully vaccinated then I think that will be good enough

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Correct.

The non-essential travel restriction only applies to one leaving their county.

We know this restriction will be lifted before or near the start of the Summer.

No.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/general-covid-19-travel-advisory/
    First line:
    There is a Government Advisory in operation against all non-essential international travel.

The act:
    “Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to travel from place of residence to port or airport

4A. (1) Without prejudice to the generality of Regulation 4, and subject to paragraph (2), an applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence to go to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving the State without reasonable excuse.

Its been extended a few times since that initial statute, current expiration date is sometime in May or June, it will likely be extended as the govt have repeatedly said international holidays are not on this summer. Hopefully they change their tune.

Why is that?

I guess what I mean is it won't speed up the 80% by end of June target. These are largely people would be getting 1st dose in June, 2nd does in July. So, it won't impact the June target. It will be make things slightly easier in July. 140,000 of people is only 4% of the adult population.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd imagine it shouldn't be that hard

I know the HSE gathers name, dob, pps number, mobile phone, gp name at testing

It depends on how long they keep these details for. They may at some stage remove personally identifiable information from their data on positive tests.

pauldry wrote: »
    Havent left my county since Dec 26th so even a trip to Roscommon at this stage will be like a holiday abroad.

Thats worse than any lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Government rejects CMO advice to add additional EU countries to MHQ

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1387058571804758024?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Government rejects CMO advise to add additional EU countries to MHQ

So only 'variants of concern' from here on out then and not incidence rate.

Had to laugh at the "....he raced through them" bit, almost embarrassed they'd dare not go with the overkill advice.

Did you miss the Head of EU announcement yesterday that vaccinated US travellers are allowed into Europe for holidays this summer?

Travel to Spain, Portugal, France, Italy(from June) and more are all open to tourism from EU and select other countries with no quarantine requirement.
    Ireland is the outlier here - most other countries will be happily taking tourists this summer and likely beyond that as vaccinations ramp up.

Anyone fully vaccinated is exempt from the Irish quarantine requirements, so I'm not sure we are that different. Certainly, anyone from the US is likely to be fully vaccinated by summer and can travel here freely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Eod100 wrote: »
    titan18 wrote: »

Can you do an antibody test, and if you have any, say "I've had Covid" so only one dose, or have I got this wrong?

Anyone fully vaccinated is exempt from the Irish quarantine requirements, so I'm not sure we are that different. Certainly, anyone from the US is likely to be fully vaccinated by summer and can travel here freely

Vaccination status is irrelevant when it comes to leaving the country.
    If you try to fly out of the country, vaccinated or not. The gardai can fine you up to 2000€ for not having an essential reason to travel.

Same thing goes for people coming into the country - doesnt matter if youre vaccinated, tourism is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

If you try to fly out of the country, vaccinated or not. The gardai can fine you up to 2000€ for not having an essential reason to travel.

Same thing goes for people coming into the country - doesnt matter if youre vaccinated, tourism is not allowed.

It's not allowed, but it's also not illegal

It's verboten :P

• Advertisement

The Gardai won’t. I flew out the middle of the day last week.....not a guard in sight.

And how is tourism not allowed over coming months if a vaccinated person can fly in, there are places to stay, and when leaving you can just say you are going home

I’ll be returning in a few weeks (fully vaccinated) and my American family (fully vaccinated) will be coming over for a few weeks and we intend to explore a little after hanging out at my place out west for whatever home quarantine period is needed (if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

The Gardai won’t. I flew out the middle of the day last week.....not a guard in sight.

And how is tourism not allowed over coming months if a vaccinated person can fly in, there are places to stay, and when leaving you can just say you are going home

I’ll be returning in a few weeks (fully vaccinated) and my American family (fully vaccinated) will be coming over for a few weeks and we intend to explore a little after hanging out at my place out west for whatever home quarantine period is needed (if any)

It doesn't matter if any guards stopped you or not. All it matter is that currently you can be fined 2000 euros for non-essential travel outside of the country.
    Saying that this is fine just because no-one is checking is the same as claiming that construction was never stopped because some broke the rules and continued anyway (well, I've seen this claimed here several times by some users). It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Can you do an antibody test, and if you have any, say "I've had Covid" so only one dose, or have I got this wrong?

I doubt it. Everyone who tests postive gets a txt from the hse with their name dob and positive result in the message. I'd say that will be the only thing they will accept.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Government rejects CMO advice to add additional EU countries to MHQ

There goes the nonsense that NPHET call the shots then.

On a positive note, everything looks to be in a good place. Up the nurses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

And someone will be along any minute now claiming air travel was dying before Covid anyways .

Yeah but did it die WITH covid or FROM covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Faugheen wrote: »
    There goes the nonsense that NPHET call the shots then.

On a positive note, everything looks to be in a good place. Up the nurses.

Government are quite happy to reject NPHET advice when it comes to travel. However, they are less inclined to reject advice when it comes to other restrictions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I guess what I mean is it won't speed up the 80% by end of June target. These are largely people would be getting 1st dose in June, 2nd does in July. So, it won't impact the June target. It will be make things slightly easier in July. 140,000 of people is only 4% of the adult population.

Correct. The bulk of the J&J will only arrive in June anyway.

As for international travel, the government will not want a load of people coming and going until the vaccination coverage is more or less universal and Covid levels are minimal. I'd say travel could be regular enough in August, but perhaps not in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

426 new cases - 10 additional deaths (4 in April, 5 in March and 1 in February)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

426 cases
    10 deaths
    +1 in ICU which George Lee will be highly concerned about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

We are up 545,000 does on Pfizer over plan.

So assuming we get what we were promised we should be AHEAD of the target for end June as we have enough people to absorb the entire stock of AZ and J&J.

Travel will remain banned/restricted/not a good idea/some suggestion its illegal when its not etc until September unless we have a complete collapse in case count across the EU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement