Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of people are tested when they are at doctor, in hospital, before work, walk in tests.

No of tests will always be in the thousands. Its good to have the positivity low.

If we could get it under 1% we could all have pints

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Doctors are making 30 euro each time they send someone for a test. In their interest to send them for a test then get a negative test then book them in for a test couple of days later then charge them so instead of making 50/60 euro out of each patient they make 80/90.
    There may be an element of that but one would imagine that GPs are keen to see the back of all this just as much as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I am thinking that vaccinations must now be having an impact on infection rates. This will accelerate over the course of May, and we are re-opening very little in May that is likely to push up infection rates. By end of May, I think we'll see case numbers below 200 a day and we'll be in great shape.

It's going to be a great summer!

The UAE are stuck on 200 cases per million per day and have 105 per 100 vaccinated. In fairness they are using a lot of Sinopharm but even Israel had similar case numbers to us now at 115 per 100 vaccinated. We probably won't see downward pressure on case numbers via vaccination for a long time. 30 to 50 per 100 only seems to drive down cases if you are over 500 per million per day. At our level around 100 per million per day we probably won't see cases driven down by vacs until we get to about 100 per 100.

I always wonder who are all these people getting tested? I've never been tested and would only if I was showing pretty clear symptoms or had been put forward as a close contact.

At 20,000 or so tests a day, the whole population could be tested once in 250 days. Will there be a Guinness Book of Records (now sadly defunct I believe) entry for most tested person in Ireland?

Are there hypochondriacs phoning their doctors every few days for a test?

Yeah, no.

Its hayfever season and there are rhinoviruses in circulation, the judgement rational people make is "yeah, its probably not covid, but I go to work/have kids in school/have relatives I need to visit, so what harm is it to get the test to be sure"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I am thinking that vaccinations must now be having an impact on infection rates. This will accelerate over the course of May, and we are re-opening very little in May that is likely to push up infection rates. By end of May, I think we'll see case numbers below 200 a day and we'll be in great shape.

It's summer in 3 days.

What are we getting in 3 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hopefully. I do think NPHET will want under 200 cases for more risker indoor gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yeah, no.

Its hayfever season and there are rhinoviruses in circulation, the judgement rational people make is "yeah, its probably not covid, but I go to work/have kids in school/have relatives I need to visit, so what harm is it to get the test to be sure"

How many tests have you had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

It's summer in 3 days.

What are we getting in 3 days?

Summer in my world is July and August, when kids are off schools. It's going to be a great July and August! May will be a bit sh1t alright.

I always wonder who are all these people getting tested? I've never been tested and would only if I was showing pretty clear symptoms or had been put forward as a close contact.

At 20,000 or so tests a day, the whole population could be tested once in 250 days. Will there be a Guinness Book of Records (now sadly defunct I believe) entry for most tested person in Ireland?

Are there hypochondriacs phoning their doctors every few days for a test?

Also on a related note, with positive swab numbers, does the same person testing positive each time for swabs at different times count in the raw numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yeah, no.

Sneezing and rhinovirus symptoms are not covid symptoms though - unless people get caught up in the hysteria and think every little thing is covid related

• Advertisement

How many tests have you had?

2 - one where work tested everyone returning to site after Christmas and the second where I had temperature and fatigue and even though I was pretty certain it was not covid, I have kids in school so got tested because it hurts no one to know one way or the other does it.

The view that people getting tested is somehow a negative is irrational beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

snotboogie wrote: »
    The UAE are stuck on 200 cases per million per day and have 105 per 100 vaccinated. In fairness they are using a lot of Sinopharm but even Israel had similar case numbers to us now at 115 per 100 vaccinated. We probably won't see downward pressure on case numbers via vaccination for a long time. 30 to 50 per 100 only seems to drive down cases if you are over 500 per million per day. At our level around 100 per million per day we probably won't see cases driven down by vacs until we get to about 100 per 100.

It depends where are you starting from. Every % vaccinated reduces the reproductive rate. Our reproductive rate is heading back below 1 again, by the looks of things. It will fall further as we vaccinate more. The countries you are referring to had infection rates which were out of control and therefore required a higher % vaccinated to get below 1.

There is no magic number of vaccines doses, it is gradual and we are already seeing the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yup. Light at the end of the tunnel from my POV. I can go another month of moderate lockdown knowing the end if in sight.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Sneezing and rhinovirus symptoms are not covid symptoms though - unless people get caught up in the hysteria and think every little thing is covid related
    Symptoms of a common cold usually appear one to three days after exposure to a cold-causing virus. Signs and symptoms, which can vary from person to person, might include:

Runny or stuffy nose
    Sore throat
    Cough
    Congestion
    Slight body aches or a mild headache
    Sneezing
    Low-grade fever
    Generally feeling unwell (malaise)
    Symptoms
    COVID-19 affects different people in different ways. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.
    Most common symptoms:
    fever
    dry cough
    tiredness
    Less common symptoms:
    aches and pains
    sore throat
    diarrhoea
    conjunctivitis
    headache
    loss of taste or smell
    a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes
    Serious symptoms:
    difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
    chest pain or pressure
    loss of speech or movement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

2 - one where work tested everyone returning to site after Christmas and the second where I had temperature and fatigue and even though I was pretty certain it was not covid, I have kids in school so got tested because it hurts no one to know one way or the other does it.

The view that people getting tested is somehow a negative is irrational beyond belief

Multiple tests (9 or 10 like some on here have said) is overkill though. Sneezing etc is not a symptom of covid or at least not very common, as someone with hayfever, it's quite a specific type of 'condition', you know it's almost certainly that rather than 'ah sure I better get tested' every time you have it.

I believe testing without tracing is pretty pointless, especially with asymptomatic cases. Every test costs something - time, resources, etc that arguably are needed elsewhere.

Unless we are pursuing zero covid, which everyone say we are not and the lack of tracing would back up, what's the point in testing people who are not sick and don't need treatment, once the vulnerable are vaccinated?

There will come a stage when we stop testing because it's no longer feasible or useful and hopefully that point will be soon. I can't wait to see the back of the daily numbers charade anyway.

Corholio wrote: »
    Multiple tests (9 or 10 like some on here have said) is overkill though. Sneezing etc is not a symptom of covid or at least not very common, as someone with hayfever, it's quite a specific type of 'condition', you know it's almost certainly that rather than 'ah sure I better get tested' every time you have it.

What is the harm tho? If we have capacity... Use it every day. If nothing else it is rooting out people with no symptoms

Don't know if this has been posted. Good to see an experiment succeed!

There has been "no sign" of coronavirus infection among 5,000 unvaccinated people who took part in an indoor trial concert last month in Barcelona seeking pandemic-safe ways to celebrate mass events, organisers have said.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0427/1212296-coronavirus-global/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

rhinoviruses are overwhelmingly unlikely to cause fevers dry coughs and body aches - in rare cases they can lead to a loss of taste too like covid but it so seldom happens you wouldnt consider it a common symptom.

Corholio wrote: »

As someone who gets relatively mild hayfever I have regular nasal symptoms and never consider they might be covid or to get tested because of them, but if I did think why not get tested to rule it out, where is the harm?

Also - common hayfever symptoms:
    sneezing and coughing
    a runny or blocked nose
    itchy, red or watery eyes
    itchy throat, mouth, nose and ears
    loss of smell
    pain around your temples and forehead
    headache
    earache
    feeling tired
    If you have asthma, you might also:

have a tight feeling in your chest
    be short of breath
    wheeze and cough

So why is there any harm in someone choosing to be tested to be sure, especially if there additional risks groups in your regular contacts to consider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

I believe testing without tracing is pretty pointless, especially with asymptomatic cases. Every test costs something - time, resources, etc that arguably are needed elsewhere.

Unless we are pursuing zero covid, which everyone say we are not and the lack of tracing would back up, what's the point in testing people who are not sick and don't need treatment, once the vulnerable are vaccinated?

There will come a stage when we stop testing because it's no longer feasible or useful and hopefully that point will be soon. I can't wait to see the back of the daily numbers charade anyway.

Hear hear. As many have said, other services and treatments have been curtailed. I'd like to see resources diverted away from asymptomatic testing, and returned back to the areas where they are actually required.

timmyntc wrote: »
    rhinoviruses are overwhelmingly unlikely to cause fevers dry coughs and body aches - in rare cases they can lead to a loss of taste too like covid but it so seldom happens you wouldnt consider it a common symptom.

OK Doctor Timmy
    Rhinoviruses are spread worldwide and are the primary cause of the common cold. Symptoms include sore throat, runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing and cough; sometimes accompanied by muscle aches, fatigue, malaise, headache, muscle weakness, or loss of appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This way if thinking is how we get clusters. You think you don't have it despite showing symptoms and carry on as normal and one of those people will infect others and God knows how many.
    As said, if you have symptoms go get tested it's the sensible thing to do.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This way if thinking is how we get clusters. You think you don't have it despite showing symptoms and carry on as normal and one of those people will infect others and God knows how many.

Agreed. I had a mild fever a month ago... Tested and results within 36 hours... All clear. I was pretty sure it couldn't be covid, due to limited interactions in the previous week... But I would hate to be the person that caused an outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

As long as the pandemic rages globally testing will be integral to us having any semblance of normality. People should never be discouraged from having a test.

eagle eye wrote: »

But anyone who "carries on as normal", especially if they have symptoms, is not following the health advice anyway and a positive test won't really matter to them.

Transmission is now almost certainly only through aerosols, so wearing masks and avoiding crowded indoor places makes you very unlikely to transmit it asymptomatically or otherwise.

But anyone who "carries on as normal", especially if they have symptoms, is not following the health advice anyway and a positive test won't really matter to them.

Transmission is now almost certainly only through aerosols, so wearing masks and avoiding crowded indoor places makes you very unlikely to transmit it asymptomatically or otherwise.

That's a fairly conclusive statement. I presume there is some evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

is_that_so wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been posted. Good to see an experiment succeed!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0427/1212296-coronavirus-global/

With alcohol served too

Yet we refuse a 2000 people experiment outdoors

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    With alcohol served too

Yet we refuse a 2000 people experiment outdoors
    It can only happen with an abundance of caution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

is_that_so wrote: »
    It can only happen with an abundance of caution!

Yup in about 2025 the way we're going lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement