Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hard to put a positive spin on those figures

Deaths low. Hospital continues to fall.

Daily figures are no longer a good indicator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Benimar wrote: »
    2 deaths

624 cases

Nearly half of today's cases are in Dublin.......I despair....

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

There's a reduced rate for extra people using the same rooms. That family has two rooms.

I'm going to guess around €4,000-5,000.

The mind boggles why the hell they left a relatively virus free CONTINENT to come to this plague pit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

What should we do between the two tests? Let them go home? Or put them in a hotel and quarantine them?

I do think quarantine is a powerful tool and should have been used a lot more throughout this whole thing.

Travellers into the country. Cases without an option to to self isolate in the household.

But are any people who want to come to Ireland not just routing through Northern Ireland now ? I though it was only ports and airports being check, not roads from the north ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

really?

how do the figures break down?

if cases predominantly in lower age cohorts - it's likely evidence of a positive effects from the vaccination program..

We know that cases in younger cohorts are less likely to lead to hospitalisations and deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭mightyreds

prunudo wrote: »
    Cases and swabs seem fairly close the last few days, don't think there is any backlog to surprise(scare) us with and to correspond with the announcement midweek.

Think there's a couple of hundred knocking about there from yesterday and 3 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

That's only one side of it. Huge numbers tested and a positivity rate that is nose diving. Hope that continues. RIP to those who died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Cases and swabs seem fairly close the last few days, don't think there is any backlog to surprise(scare) us with and to correspond with the announcement midweek.

240 swabs higher than cases over the last 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

A search is under way after three people left the mandatory hotel quarantine at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Santry in Dublin this afternoon.

It is understood one of the three has been found, but a search for the other two people is continuing.

Gardaí said they are liaising with the Defence Forces representative at the hotel.

In a statement the said: "An Garda Síochána are this afternoon liaising with the State Laison Officer at a designated quarantine facility in the Dublin area, in accordance with current protocols.

"As the Department of Health are the lead agency in relation to the management of mandatory quarantining, An Garda Síochána will not be commenting further at this time. "(RTE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭prunudo

240 swabs higher than cases over the last 4 days.

Oh, must have missed that, thought they were much closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

vienne86 wrote: »
    Nearly half of today's cases are in Dublin.......I despair....

well were you expecting Longford? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

DellyBelly wrote:
    Not good at all..

Every time....

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1375867770257215491?s=19

Seems to be something odd with the reporting of the Wicklow figures, like there's a delay in sending them in or something. There was a day early in the week where it was 25, then a few days of sub 5 and now back to 20, no pattern to it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

New cases: 623
    Denotified cases: 14
    Total cases: 233,937
    New deaths: 2
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,653

Of the 2 mortalaties reported today
    • 2 occurred in March

Of the 623 cases notified today
    • Male: 309
    • Female: 313
    • Under 45 years old: 474 (75%)
    • Median age: 32
    • Dublin: 308
    • Kildare: 41
    • Donegal: 38
    • Meath: 31
    • Offaly: 29
    • Remaining 177 cases spread across 18 other counties

Vaccination Numbers - Up to Wednesday 24th March
    • Total doses: 732,678 (+23,330)
    • First dose: 529,984 (+14,184)
    • Second: 202,694 (+9,146)

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1375867770257215491?s=19

Seems to be something odd with the reporting of the Wicklow figures, like there's a delay in sending them in or something. There was a day early in the week where it was 25, then a few days of sub 5 and now back to 20, no pattern to it at all.

Do they have a 2 or 3 day a week test centre or something.

Do they have a 2 or 3 day a week test centre or something.

Not sure how many test centre's there are but I pass one every day and its never busy. Albeit I usually pass before 9am and after 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Every time....

So you think it's okay... I'm all for positivity I'm also realistic.. Daily cases are not shifting

Not sure how many test centre's there are but I pass one every day and its never busy. Albeit I usually pass before 9am and after 6pm.

At one stage last August my local test centre was open 3 says a week only.

If Wickford is like that it could explain the large variation in case numbers reported. I would think things are better generally now though.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    So you think it's okay... I'm all for positivity I'm also realistic.. Daily cases are not shifting

Cases are no longer the primary metric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

DellyBelly wrote: »

So....who cares?! Hospital numbers are declining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

More on the demographic of today's cases from Static Jak on Reddit Ireland (he's always on the money)
    That puts us at 3,388 cases this week so far. We were at 3,095 cases this time last week.

Of the cases reported today, half are under 32 and three-quarters are under 45. If it stays around that age group it will hopefully keep hospitalisation numbers going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Vicxas wrote: »
    Deaths low. Hospital continues to fall.

Daily figures are no longer a good indicator
    Cases are no longer the primary metric

So we have more testing, more cases.
    Positivity rate dropping.
    Hospital cases dropping.

Why is Leo talking about case numbers as if they are a key measurement?

Is there not a case to cease talking case numbers, and only quote positivity rate?

Or are they using case numbers because the majority of people just align case numbers with the gravity of the situation, so it's easier to get them to comply with restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The same oddballs come on here several times a week trying to find the most negative way to spin things. I'd pay no heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Yes they are fairly close.

Cases last 7 days 4157

Positive swabs last 7 days 4231

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Of the cases reported today, half are under 32

600 cases now is obviously nowhere near as serious as 600 cases would have been a few months ago.

The average age is getting younger and with that the risk profile is declining.

Has anyone attempted to put any science behind this? i.e. a risk weighting i.e. take the number of cases, the age profiles and the percentages chance of hospitalisation and convert into a risk weighting. This would help us more accurately compare back to prior months.

Is 600 cases now the equivalent of 400 cases a few months ago in terms of risk weighting ??? etc.

Some science might help bring focus away from the headline number and show an improving picture.

Szero wrote: »
    600 cases now is obviously nowhere near as serious as 600 cases would have been a few months ago.

Has anyone attempted to put any science behind this? i.e. a risk weighting i.e. take the number of cases, the age profiles and the percentages chance of hospitalisation and convert into a risk weighting. This would help us more accurately compare back to prior months.

Is 600 cases now the equivalent of 400 cases a few months ago in terms of risk weighting ??? etc.

Some science might help bring focus away from the headline number and show an improving picture.

I don't think they will publicly acknowledge it as they are afraid people will just loose the run of themselves if they dont think its as serious anymore. Plus it flies in the face of everything they've been telling us the last year that its way worse than the flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The mind boggles why the hell they left a relatively virus free CONTINENT to come to this plague pit!!

My understanding if she has return to work as a nurse in sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,151 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Fascinating concept. It starts as being obvious, runs through a methodology and ends up as an unanswerable question? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The new variants would muddy the waters of comparisons there, I heard something on the news to the effect triples the chance of hospitalisation even for under 65s but I haven't seen the supporting data on that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

DellyBelly wrote:

You have to look beyond that. Hospital numbers. Vaccines. Amount of tests etc etc....but you know that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement