Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

titan18 wrote: »
    Part of me is thinking don't get your hopes up, they could be leaking this stuff to make themselves look good and turn around tomorrow go we tried but public health advice is to be more cautious or something.

They could be leaking it or the media could just be making stabs at it. One outlet tonight has barbers opening 4th May, while another says it's mid May.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    That would make them look like right eejits

They've looked like right eejits most of their political life so that wouldnt be new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They could be leaking it or the media could just be making stabs at it. One outlet tonight has barbers opening 4th May, while another says it's mid May.

Ya, there's guesses all over the place. Same with inter county, I've seen about 3/4 dates for that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Art's actual son

hqdefault.jpg

james-garfunkel-son-of-art-garfunkel-the-hampton-classic-horse-show-BYY5ME.jpg

Hello dorkness my old friend........the head off him.

It's a bit strange that with the very positive news that sensible steps are on the way, that they are ignoring that some parts of the country are in far better shape than others. I'd feel far more comfortable getting a haircut or having a meal in Kilkenny than I would in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It's a bit strange that with the very positive news that sensible steps are on the way, that they are ignoring that some parts of the country are in far better shape than others. I'd feel far more comfortable getting a haircut or having a meal in Kilkenny than I would in Donegal.

What’s happening in Donegal. Presumably there should not be a cross border effect at this point in time.

What’s happening in Donegal. Presumably there should not be a cross border effect at this point in time.

There's been days recently where Donegal recorded nearly as many cases as all of Northern Ireland so the border can't really be blamed. I suppose as long as the hospital there isn't under significant pressure it may be cruel to exclude them from reopening (particularly outdoor stuff), but in terms of caution I would have thought a bit more nuance is required in areas with higher community transmission levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

There's been days recently where Donegal recorded nearly as many cases as all of Northern Ireland so the border can't really be blamed. I suppose as long as the hospital there isn't under significant pressure it may be cruel to exclude them from reopening (particularly outdoor stuff), but in terms of caution I would have thought a bit more nuance is required in areas with higher community transmission levels.

I can see your point, but I will put an alternative viewpoint out there. If we only open up where there is lower transmission then I can guarantee you that there would be people from areas of higher transmission travelling to places with lower transmission for a meal, or hairdressers etc. I am not sure we have enough guards to enforce the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Schools?

Yes

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-outbreaks-in-schools-and-childcare-rise-sharply-data-shows-1.4550006
    Covid-19 outbreaks in schools and childcare settings rose sharply last week, while outbreaks in workplaces declined, latest figures show.

The positive impact of vaccination is also clear, with no new outbreaks in nursing homes reported last week and the lowest number of hospital outbreaks this year.

The number of outbreaks in schools rose six-fold in a week, to 31 last week from five the previous week, according to the latest weekly report from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC). Childcare outbreaks doubled from 11 to 22.
    You will, off course, get all kinds of silly mental gymnastics from some still saying that schools are magical Harry Potter like buildings where no harm may come

But the data tells a very different story and I trust numbers and data more than "opinions" on this

Anyway. Secondary schools are closed on circa June 1st and Primary schools circa July 1st?

Can't wait

Combine this with an even more ramped up vaccination roll out and we'll have some really low R0 to play with from July on

mohawk wrote: »
    I can see your point, but I will put an alternative viewpoint out there. If we only open up where there is lower transmission then I can guarantee you that there would be people from areas of higher transmission travelling to places with lower transmission for a meal, or hairdressers etc. I am not sure we have enough guards to enforce the rules.

Oh I agree it would be a nightmare to try and enforce. I just wonder why the idea of regional variation appears to have been completely sidelined, maybe additional testing, walk in centres are planned to manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 151 (up from 148 last night)
    ICU 44 (down from 47 last night - 0 deaths)

Last Wednesday

Total 172
    ICU 47

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I can't handle the positivity.

Someone get George Lee down there quick.

I'm actually buzzing but still finding it hard to comprehend how it's all happening so quickly. I'm not going to complain though. Can't wait to go for a pint because I've been stuck in the house with my wife and daughter and quite frankly they've been getting on my t*ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A section of people don't want the restrictions to end, ever.

They are loving the drama.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Any news on non-essential retail?

Pubs not til June now (outdoor). Probably the Tuesday after the bank holiday Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pubs not til June now (outdoor). Probably the Tuesday after the bank holiday Monday.

Where are you reading that? IT article just been updated says the following:

Hotels will reopen just before the June Bank Holiday weekend, on Friday June 4th, to allow trade for that weekend.

Outdoor hospitality resuming the week beginning May 24th.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hotels-to-reopen-june-4th-to-allow-for-bank-holiday-trade-as-covid-19-restrictions-set-to-ease-1.4549950?mode=amp

ETA: online updating of that article quite poor, outdoor hospitality will reopen in line with hotel reopening date, as Stephen has alluded to in below post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hotels will reopen just before the June Bank Holiday weekend, on Friday June 4th, to allow trade for that weekend.

Makes sense. The 7th had been flagged for hotels but if its the 4th then they'll open outdoor hospitality same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hotels-to-reopen-june-4th-to-allow-for-bank-holiday-trade-as-covid-19-restrictions-set-to-ease-1.4549950?mode=amp

On Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

What's the point in pushing back beer gardens?

Dublin city is a gigantic beer garden at weekends now anyway may as well just open them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

King Gavan Reilly said it.

Did Leo slip something into Tony’s drink?

Gyms open 7th June appearently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

On Twitter.

That IT article is a bit of a mess then and online editor must have fallen asleep.

Relevant tweet (be great if you can post next time):

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387529522396938244?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

If the plan is to confuse everyone as much as possible by giving different dates for different reopenings, it's working on me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What do they mean by "Hotels will reopen just before the June bank holiday, on Friday June 4th, to allow trade for that weekend." BUT

"There will be no indoor dining in the months of May and June, under the proposals now being examined by politicians."

Surely open hotels will be allowed let their customers eat dinner indoors?!

Will hotels have "indoor dining/hospitality" like they did late last year, so meals and a few scoops.

That IT article is a bit of a mess then and online editor must have fallen asleep.

Relevant tweet (be great if you can post next time):

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387529522396938244?s=20

Hair dressers and barbers don't need to restock anything. They use a scissors ffs.

Gavan is amateur hour.

Hair dressers and barbers don't need to restock anything. They use a scissors ffs.

Gavan is amateur hour.

Might want to check that with the hair dressers federations. They've said they wouldn't be ready for next week

Might want to check that with the hair dressers federations. They've said they wouldn't be ready for next week

Barbers already open all over Dublin.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement