Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

So you can book a hotel and have indoor dining before outdoor dining at a restaurant or bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's pretty decent overall tbh. Mostly better than what was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Beer gardens not til after the bank holiday. They bottled it. The Twitter mob win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    That's pretty decent overall tbh. Mostly better than what was expected.

Yeah im happy enough to be honest. Wouldn't have had an issue with outdoor hospitality from 24th May so a little disappointed there but in saying that things moving quicker than I'd have expected and 2 weeks to a hair cut thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What do they mean by "Hotels will reopen just before the June bank holiday, on Friday June 4th, to allow trade for that weekend." BUT

"There will be no indoor dining in the months of May and June, under the proposals now being examined by politicians."

Surely open hotels will be allowed let their customers eat dinner indoors?!

Will hotels have "indoor dining/hospitality" like they did late last year, so meals and a few scoops.

Residents only probably .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So in summary:

May 10th

-Intercounty travel permitted
    -Hairdressers and personal services look set to resume busines
    -Click and collect, will return the week starting May 10th ahead of a wider reopening of non-retail business later in May
    -Adult training
    -50 at worship
    -Households will be allowed to meet in groups of six
    outdoors including in private gardens; indoors of same amount only if vaccinated (guidelines on this to be released)

June 2nd

-Hotel and B&Bs reopen: Indoor dining is expected to be allowed ( be interesting to see if there is caveat attached to this)

June 7th

-Outdoor hospitality including restaurants and pubs will resume

-Gyms and pools reopen

Other points to note:

€9 meal for pubs is expected to be abolished and the 15-person limit for outdoor dining rule may also be scrapped.(good, was ludicrous)

All subject to cabinet approval, announcement due tomorrow at 6PM by government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

40 days to 7th June.

It’s just like a Lent

So in summary:

May 10th:

-Intercounty travel permitted
    -Hairdressers and personal services look set to resume busines

-Non-essential retail, including click and collect, will return the week starting May 10th ahead of a wider reopening of business on the 17th

-Households will be allowed to meet in groups of six people outdoors including in private gardens

June 2nd to 4th June

Hotels reopen, Indoor dining is expected to be allowed ( be interesting to see if there is caveat attached to this)

June 7th:

Outdoor hospitality including restaurants and pubs will resume

Gyms reopen?

Other points to note:

€9 meal for pubs is expected to be abolished and the 15-person limit for outdoor dining rule may also be scrapped.(good, was ludicrous)

All subject to cabinet approval, announcement due tomorrow at 6PM by government.

Who cares about the cabinet approval ? We do .!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Something isn't right here. WW3 is going to happen overnight and we're all going to be vaporised before dawn, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

June 2nd

-Hotel and B&Bs reopen: Indoor dining is expected to be allowed ( be interesting to see if there is caveat attached to this)

They'll probably keep a time limit on the meals

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    They'll probably keep a time limit on the meals

I think that’s only fair on the pubs and restaurants tbh. Nothing to do with Covid. Make sure they get in enough covers. Last thing they want is to open and then have people not moving from their table all night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

A section of people don't want the restrictions to end, ever.

They are loving the drama.

This old chestnut, if you honestly believe there are people out there that don’t want this to end, you’re fooling yourself. Many will be hesitant after such long lockdowns to jump back out of restrictions, which is human nature, but keep kidding yourself with this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Normal One wrote: »
    Something isn't right here. WW3 is going to happen overnight and we're all going to be vaporised before dawn, innit?

Or killer Aliens will arrive

I think that’s only fair on the pubs and restaurants tbh. Nothing to do with Covid. Make sure they get in enough covers. Last thing they want is to open and then have people not moving from their table all night

There's a happy medium alright

2 hours is a good amount

Not rushed but not too long either

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Or killer Aliens will arrive

Maybe I'm delusional but aliens seem more likely than a creamy pint :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Normal One wrote: »
    Maybe I'm delusional but aliens seem more likely than a creamy pint :(

Maybe the virus is an Alien :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

They're doing the only thing that makes sense to be honest

Madness to delay the reopening any longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This old chestnut, if you honestly believe there are people out there that don’t want this to end, you’re fooling yourself. Many will be hesitant after such long lockdowns to jump back out of restrictions, which is human nature, but keep kidding yourself with this crap.

Following Covid threads on Boards for the last year and as far as online personas go, definitely at least a few would love to have the world come to a halt. Certain posters even got giddy with bad news, could almost smell popcorn off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Hotels giving out room-keys to walk-ins will be this year's version of places putting dirty plates in front of customers who 'paid for a meal' and are having a pint now.

Doubtful

Hotels will want to sell more rooms in June on the back of this news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

nocoverart wrote: »
    Following Covid threads on Boards for the last year and as far as online personas go, definitely at least a few would love to have the world come to a halt. Certain posters even got giddy with bad news, could almost smell popcorn off them.
    You could presumably name some of them so, and perhaps even back up your nasty accusation?

Ficheall wrote: »
    You could presumably name some of them so, and perhaps even back up your nasty accusation?

You for one :)

You for one :)
    No, I'm afraid you're wrong there. Any other bs for us?

You asked for names. Away with the Fairies, Caveat Emperor, and Kermit at the top of my head but there were others. I don't worry too much about the dangers of Covid at this stage but I know certain posters on here took enjoyment out of exaggerating, scaremongering and downright posting misinformation. Pity mods are snowflakes when it comes to a so called personal attack but allowed unjustified scaremongering and misinformation to flourish on here over the last year. Anyways, we're over the worst of it now as I'm sure you'll agree... the odd scariant will probably pop up in here every now and then but will most likely come to nout.
    But you're saying these posters are happy (or eating popcorn/masturbating/whatever) about bad news and people being sick and dying etc.
    It's obviously not true - even if people do disagree with your position/outlook on covid. And trying to undermine people who disagree with you by suggesting that they are enjoying people being sick and dying is well below the belt.

And yes, I'm hopeful we're over the worst, but it's a cautious optimism and I'll feel a lot more comfortable when we're all vaccinated etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

When does level 5 end?

Ficheall wrote: »
    But you're saying these posters are happy (or eating popcorn/masturbating/whatever) about bad news and people being sick and dying etc.
    It's obviously not true - even if people do disagree with your position/outlook on covid. And trying to undermine people who disagree with you by suggesting that they are enjoying people being sick and dying is well below the belt.

And yes, I'm hopeful we're over the worst, but it's a cautious optimism and I'll feel a lot more comfortable when we're all vaccinated etc.

I never said they're happy about people dying or getting sick. Jesus, all you have to do is quote my posts and I never said that. You don't have to be Einstein to realise certain posters got caught up in the misery of it all, maybe lock down is a nice life for some and would want that change of pace to continue. Watching people dying or getting sick is a different thing. I'm talking about online personas here in the comfort of their homes with access to misinformation.

I agree on the Vaccines. The Vaccines that some on here said weren't possible last year. "Yeah Science, Bitch"

I never said they're happy about people dying or getting sick. Jesus, all you have to do is quote my posts and I never said that. You don't have to be Einstein to realise certain posters got caught up in the misery of it all, maybe lock down is a nice life for some and would want that change of pace to continue. Watching people dying or getting sick is a different thing. I'm talking about online personas here in the comfort of their homes with access to misinformation.

I agree on the Vaccines. The Vaccines that some on here said weren't possible last year. "Yeah Science, Bitch"

A lot of posters got caught up in the knocking of any who were worried , who wanted to know more and to understand how and why certain restrictions were happening , and any who tried to explain or rationalise were denigrated as scaremongers , and some people here indulged in name calling and snide comments to get their points across too. On both sides .

We are in a better place now, let's move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I have to admit, that nugget always drove me insane. Although there were no guarantees that we would get vaccines approved that would be highly efficacious, there was always hope and I think some level of optimism from mid way through 2020. However, there was a group of people in the media constantly putting that optimism down. Constantly. Ciara Kelly was one of the worst, Ivan Yates, Claire Byrne, etc...

On the other hand, the scientific data that was coming through looked promising. Those doomsayers doggedly stuck to the negative spin though and it annoyed the hell out of me because people needed some glimmer of hope, even of it didn't come to fruition (obviously it did!).

I particularly thought of the old people maybe living on the side of a hill on their own listening to the likes of Ciara Kelly. Must have been soul destroying for those people. Thinking this was it, no hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It's weird . I've been called for these to be reopened for months

Now it's finally here it feels weird some sense of normality is resuming again

Dam you covid and what felt like a neverending lockdown messing with my head

As an aside MIL got home from hospital yesterday . It's no joke . Tell your folks to stay safe until they get the jab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

You asked for names. Away with the Fairies, Caveat Emperor, and Kermit at the top of my head but there were others. I don't worry too much about the dangers of Covid at this stage but I know certain posters on here took enjoyment out of exaggerating, scaremongering and downright posting misinformation. Pity mods are snowflakes when it comes to a so called personal attack but allowed unjustified scaremongering and misinformation to flourish on here over the last year. Anyways, we're over the worst of it now as I'm sure you'll agree... the odd scariant will probably pop up in here every now and then but will most likely come to nout.

Go away. This is a happy place now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement