Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

is_that_so wrote: »
    Most businesses could not open next Tuesday after being shuttered for so long. An extra week gives them all time.

Then don't open next week if they don't want to?

Again, I'll repeat the simple point, it isn't about whether they are ready to open, it is whether they are allowed to open!

If a business feels they are ready then allow them to open, if they feel they aren't ready then they have the choice to stay closed. The important thing is that it is their choice!

We will have businesses ready and raring to go but they have to wait an extra week because the government decided that other places might not be ready. Thats inane, but more importantly it demonstrates the governments lack of core understanding of what they are doing and why they are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Then don't open next week if they don't want to?

Again, I'll repeat the simple point, it isn't about whether they are ready to open, it is whether they are allowed to open!

If a business feels they are ready then allow them to open, if they feel they aren't ready then they have the choice to stay closed. The important thing is that it is their choice!

We will have businesses ready and raring to go but they have to wait an extra week because the government decided that other places might not be ready. Thats inane, but more importantly it demonstrates the governments lack of core understanding of what they are doing and why they are doing it.
    You can't have random businesses setting government policy and it is only 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

seamus wrote: »
    It's the smell of a plan. Of something concrete, that makes people positive as well.

Since February we've had people claiming it'll be lockdown till April, June, September, Xmas. There's been no certainty, no whiff of when we can get back to anything again; see our families, enjoy a pint with them.

From what I can tell the proposed schedule is basically bang on what they had been hinting since Feb/Mar, maybe a little bit accelerated.

One can complain all they like about the pace of reopening, but we're one of the only EU countries that hasn't had to battle yet another surge after the Xmas one, and it's because we didn't try to reopen.

If thats the plan they had in mind since Feb then they should have made it public, not even finite dates but informing us that inter county from mid may was on the cards etc instead of weeks of uncertainty and nothing but doom and gloom from them and the media.

You can't have random businesses setting government policy and it is only 6 days.

You clearly don't understand the point made and its implications. Unfortunately I don't think I can explain it in any simpler fashion.

Burgo wrote: »
    If thats the plan they had in mind since Feb then they should have made it public, not even finite dates but informing us that inter county from mid may was on the cards etc instead of weeks of uncertainty and nothing but doom and gloom from them and the media.
    The risk of doing that is that people will always jump the gun and do their own thing.

• Advertisement

The communication from the government has been abysmal since Martin came into office last summer. Absolutely atrocious.

You clearly don't understand the point made and its implications. Unfortunately I don't think I can explain it in any simpler fashion.
    No I see it, I'm just not remotely exercised by it. I'm fine with the plan and those 6 extra days! As you see it they have barely 3 days notice to get ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Any word on when outdoor sports, specifically astro 5 a-side for leisure, is allowed back?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Feels a bit like Christmas morning today. Thats sad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any word on when outdoor sports, specifically astro 5 a-side for leisure, is allowed back?

See here-

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1387538770497572872?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    They're talking about early June before matches can be played, but I expect to see outdoor training for adults from May 10th.

The risk of doing that is that people will always jump the gun and do their own thing.

So keep them in the dark for weeks in case people jump the gun? Look how that worked out, nothing but finger wagging and people started ignoring restrictions in part due to the lack of any kind of plan.

The communication from the government has been abysmal since Martin came into office last summer. Absolutely atrocious.

No no no, The communication has been fine, very clear. You just don't get it. How much has the gov spent on comms and PR I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Re: updated tweet from Gavan Reilly - assume the hotel residents bar line means indoors given that their outdoor bars will open on the same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Re: updated tweet from Gavan Reilly - assume the hotel residents bar line means indoors given that their outdoor bars will open on the same day?

Yeah I'm a bit confused by that bit aswell.

Definitely great news anyway.

So keep them in the dark for weeks in case people jump the gun? Look how that worked out, nothing but finger wagging and people started ignoring restrictions in part due to the lack of any kind of plan.
    No, now we have a plan, it'll calm all bar the very restless. Finger pointing, as we've seen, is part of all of this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Feck it anyway.

I devised up a roster, and have spent this week cleaning and ready to re-open the museum this coming Tuesday (based on prior communication). But now it looks like it'll be delayed further by six days.

I suppose at least I have clarity, but at the same time when your ready to go, and have been closed for so long, its annoying that there is still some fecking red tape.

Feck it anyway.

I devised up a roster, and have spent this week cleaning and ready to re-open the museum this coming Tuesday (based on prior communication). But now it looks like it'll be delayed further by six days.

I suppose at least I have clarity, but at the same time when your ready to go, and have been closed for so long, its annoying that there is still some fecking red tape.
    It'll be fierce shiny when you reopen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Restaurants Association of Ireland is pushing back against that on why hotel restaurants/bars allowed to reopen and others aren't so be interesting to see will anything change on that.

From a logical point of view, why is it safe in a hotel and unsafe outside a hotel like.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

titan18 wrote: »
    Restaurants Association of Ireland is pushing back against that on why hotel restaurants/bars allowed to reopen and others aren't so be interesting to see will anything change on that.

From a logical point of view, why is it safe in a hotel and unsafe outside a hotel like.

I guess it is based on the indoor hotel restaurant/bar being residents only (I assume thats the case) - so the people using them are 'living' there and not travelling to/from immediately, and contact tracing is far easier in that respect too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A bunch of gombeen tds and hangers on tripping over each other to get the first leaked tweets out.
    Fcukin jokeshop of a setup.
    Leak bits of information before the official meeting.
    I’m fcukin sick of this sh1te now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

10th works out better for me, gives me the start of the credit month to order in more stock (i.e I have an extra 30 days credit as opposed to buying at the end of the month)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It's not. But it's about minimising risk. If you open all pubs/restaurants for indoor dining in one go it'd likely be carnage (at least on numbers of new infections, not necessarily in hospital numbers). Just opening hotels gives the tourism industry a bit of a boost without creating as big a risk.

Also, with hotels open any restaurants/bars with outdoor areas are likely to benefit from passing trade of hotel residents so they may want to tread carefully that the compromise may be to hold off on opening hotels.

Patrons are residents so you have clear data, unambiguous data on who was present.

Dont personally think there should be a difference once capacity is controlled

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

2 weeks + suits me as it gives me time to do a spruce up in one shop and a slight move of premises in another. Those jobs will keep my mind and time busy.
    I found the last re-open a little too sudden and it caught a lot of SME's on the back foot. That's not to say the should've waited, I think they should have flagged it earlier.

India's in a jock. A friend of mine left Ireland for Pushkar back in March '20. I was just back from S.E Asia and he was asking me lots about Covid over there at the time, he was way more worried than I was. I thought unusually worried.
    He was getting on good in India, lots of photos of his house and him knocking about the area making friends etc. I was chatting to him 4 weeks ago about business as I was going to host some of his work in one of my galleries and he was fairly relaxed about Covid. He's become complacent.
    He died last week aged 55.

Back to Vietnam in Feb last year and I was having a great night with a bar owner. She was saying that this disease was coming to Europe and 2 things is gonna kill us- An expectation of Freedoms and Complacency.
    She wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Great that things are opening up but all the leaks are a joke at this stage. Has there been anything in previous announcements that wasn't leaked beforehand? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Its the new substantial meal rule. Basically a rule to allow some places open earlier. Hard to see public health rationale behind it so more political/economic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's not. But it's about minimising risk. If you open all pubs/restaurants for indoor dining in one go it'd likely be carnage (at least on numbers of new infections, not necessarily in hospital numbers). Just opening hotels gives the tourism industry a bit of a boost without creating as big a risk.

Also, with hotels open any restaurants/bars with outdoor areas are likely to benefit from passing trade of hotel residents so they may want to tread carefully that the compromise may be to hold off on opening hotels.

I mean sure minimises risk but competitively for the places that have to stay closed and losing customers and money to the hotel's it's a bit of a kick in the teeth. Shouldn't be able to discriminate on which ones opens just cos they're based in a hotel imo. It's about as logical as going eeny meeny miny moe and picking which ones can open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement