Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

titan18 wrote: »
    From a logical point of view, why is it safe in a hotel and unsafe outside a hotel like.
    You think after a year of this you'd know not to use the safe/unsafe thing, mate. It's about the balance of risk.

If a hotel restaurant has capacity for 10 groups and has 20 rooms booked out, then they will have 20 indoor groups at most that night. If their average stay is two nights, then they will have around 70 different groups in a week.

A restaurant with 10 tables could have 30 bookings in a night. And 150-250 different bookings in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This is so devastating for so many people who want things to stay closed until the vast majority are vaccinated.

Public opinion is against the reopening of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, it is quicker than they were painting a couple of months ago and the excitement is because people believe we are not going back to this again. For some people that is incredibly important both mentally and physically.

I disagree respectfully - think most felt we would be back in level 3 shall we say by June...I agree though - if this gives people a boost then that is good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

This is so devastating for so many people who want things to stay closed until the vast majority ar3 vaccinated.

What are you on about? FFS

It is strange how so many people seem excited to book a hair cut and book a hotel when opinion polls show that we favour restrictions.

Surely these people must have opposed level 5 originally.

• Advertisement

It is strange how so many people seem excited to book a hair cut and book a hotel when opinion polls show that we favour restrictions.

Those opinion polls are clearly bollocks

In the real world most want to get back to living

What are you on about? FFS

Those calling for tougher restrictions in December were the first to demand an end to the 5km limit and now are saying this is good news. Even though cases are still relatively high and the vaccine rollout is going so slow.

I'd have respect for these panicers if at least they were consistent in their panic.

They'll be the first to ask for everything to be closed down again once cases rise over 600 in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Or, people saw the need for restrictions when we had 8000 cases a day and now think we can start safely opening up again....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think people will do what they feel is safe. If NPHET back it think people will feel comfortable. Been a long few months and hopefully everyone regardless of their views on restrictions can enjoy the easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Or, people saw the need for restrictions when we had 8000 cases a day and now think we can start safely opening up again....

And many of the vulnerable vaccinated .

• Advertisement

Irish people aren't hypocrites. The opinion polls must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

This is so devastating for so many people who want things to stay closed until the vast majority are vaccinated.

They can stay at home until everyone is vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Those calling for tougher restrictions in December were the first to demand an end to the 5km limit and now are saying this is good news. Even though cases are still relatively high and the vaccine rollout is going so slow.

I'd have respect for these panicers if at least they were consistent in their panic.

They'll be the first to ask for everything to be closed down again once cases rise over 600 in June.

I'd respect your view more if you weren't so obviously wrong on the bit in bold.

That's fine but they also pushed for schools and construction to close. There was an over panic here.

Higher cases equals panic here. Something we don't see in other countries.

crossman47 wrote: »
    I'd respect your view more if you weren't so obviously wrong on the bit in bold.

So you think the rollout is going grand?

That's fine but they also pushed for schools and construction to close. There was an over panic here.

Higher cases equals panic here. Something we don't see in other countries.

It wasn't higher cases, it was the highest incidence rate in Europe....

mohawk wrote: »
    They can stay at home until everyone is vaccinated.

I've met people who have broken the restrictions and then complain about other people breaking the restrictions. They justify their own actions but judge others.

So you think the rollout is going grand?

Why don't you break down where it's going wrong?

Those calling for tougher restrictions in December were the first to demand an end to the 5km limit and now are saying this is good news.

Anyone who says this isn't good news needs their head examined.
    Even though cases are still relatively high and the vaccine rollout is going so slow.

- Cases are not high
    - The vaccine rollout is broadly in line with the rest of the EU

The only people panicking are the likes of yourself from what I can see.

Cases won't matter in June with 70% minimum vaccinated, even if a lot of those are one dose. And 600 is feck all anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Irish people aren't hypocrites. The opinion polls must be true.

Have you a link to this opinion poll? When was it taken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

seamus wrote: »
    You think after a year of this you'd know not to use the safe/unsafe thing, mate. It's about the balance of risk.

If a hotel restaurant has capacity for 10 groups and has 20 rooms booked out, then they will have 20 indoor groups at most that night. If their average stay is two nights, then they will have around 70 different groups in a week.

A restaurant with 10 tables could have 30 bookings in a night. And 150-250 different bookings in a week.

No, I get that. It minimizes risk but to me it's the same as when they pulled Dunnes and Tescos or other shops from selling non essential items, it's unfair on those they're now allowing to open, or why people complained about the €9 rule as being unfair to non food pubs.

There should be more in a decision than it minimizing risk. For one, it's guaranteed some hotels will serve people not staying there if they're not booked out as the chances of getting caught are minimal, and even without that, it's unfair on restaurants or bars not allowed to reopen with them. Even if it was a we're opening hotels and those residents need food, you can allow for room service only or something and then maybe all together can reopen late June instead of increasing the risk a bit and fcuking the non hotel restaurants/bars a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

Stayed behind the curtains forever then and let normal people live again

Why don't you break down where it's going wrong?

I said it's going slow.

Anyone who says this isn't good news needs their head examined.

- Cases are not high
    - The vaccine rollout is broadly in line with the rest of the EU

The only people panicking are the likes of yourself from what I can see.

Cases won't matter in June with 70% minimum vaccinated, even if a lot of those are one dose. And 600 is feck all anyway.

I hope you're right on the last point.

But I wouldn't put it passed Irish people having another meltdown when cases rise again in the summer.

I said it's going slow.

Oh right, you're wrong.

Oh right, you're wrong.

It is going slow. The targets are unlikely to be met.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It is going slow. The targets are unlikely to be met.

Nope.
    Targets are on track to be met if not very close to

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Nope.
    Targets are on track to be met if not very close to

Very close means the targets aren't met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I think in the real world people were happy with the restrictions that didn't overly affect them personally. So if you were running an opinion poll asking "Are you in favour of restrictions" people would reply "Yes". But if the opinion were to ask about a specific restriction the answer would probably be "Oh God no. Not that. I need that"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Aaaaaaaaannnnnndddd we're back with the pessimism :pac: that didn't last long!

EDIT: Carry on, I made a booboo and can't read

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement