Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaannnnnndddd we're back with the pessimism :pac: that didn't last long!

It's just one poster???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaannnnnndddd we're back with the pessimism :pac: that didn't last long!

It's mostly just one (very predictable) poster though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Very close means the targets aren't met.
    So put them on the bold step?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I should learn to read poster names really. Too much time on reddit! Maybe pessimism was the wrong word to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Irish people aren't hypocrites. The opinion polls must be true.
    I've met people who have broken the restrictions and then complain about other people breaking the restrictions. They justify their own actions but judge others.

What country are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Not sure how I feel about all of this, on the one hand I'd be delighted to see all of these restrictions lifted, but I just wonder if this is going to be a huge mistake? is it going to be a repeat of what happened when we opened up for Christmas?

We still have a long way to go with vaccinations and I think that maybe we should be holding off on all this stuff to at least July and August, when along with a much higher percentage of people vaccinated all schools will also shut for a couple of months.
    Really hope im wrong on this but I think we could be jumping the gun on opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not sure how I feel about all of this, on the one hand I'd be delighted to see all of these restrictions lifted, but I just wonder if this is going to be a huge mistake? is it going to be a repeat of what happened when we opened up for Christmas?

We still have a long way to go with vaccinations and I think that maybe we should be holding off on all this stuff to at least July and August, when along with a much higher percentage of people vaccinated all schools will also shut for a couple of months.
    Really hope im wrong on this but I think we could be jumping the gun on opening up.

Ah sure feck it why not wait until summer 2022 just to be on the safe side!!!

NPHET is fully behind this reopening, if it gives you any sort of consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

Ah sure feck it why not wait until summer 2022 just to be on the safe side!!!

Agree. I would trust Nphets views more than anyone else due to their ultra conservative approach. The most conservative in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We'll have most of the vulnerable groups vaccinated in some form in the next 3-4 weeks. We are also talking about over 200K in shots next week and now the upper target is 450K a week so I'd say we'll be fine.

• Advertisement

But what if the most cautious and conservative covid response in Europe was not enough? What if we needed to have been even moster cautious and conservative?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

is_that_so wrote: »
    We'll have most of the vulnerable groups vaccinated in some form in the next 3-4 weeks.

Amazing really when you think the first vaccines arrived in January and the most vulnerable will of had a jab before the end of May. Must of broke the sound barrier at the speed.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

But what if the most cautious and conservative covid response in Europe was not enough? What if we needed to have been even moster cautious and conservative?

What if the virus mutates and we end up with a zombie apocalypse?

At some point you need to stop with the what ifs and try to get back to living a somewhat normal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Better to compare to last summer when the reopening started May 18th and will didn't have our most vulnerable and elderly vaccinated then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Well ill be delighted if the posts replying to me are correct.

But every time things seem to be getting better something normally throws a spanner into the works with this virus.
    I just really hope we are starting to see the end of this f***ing thing once and for all now...

Well ill be delighted if the posts replying to me are correct.

But every time things seem to be getting better something normally throws a spanner into the works with this virus.
    I just really hope we are starting to see the end of this f***ing thing once and for all now...

We're going to be in a great place relatively soon. The end is nigh :)

At some point you need to stop with the what ifs and try to get back to living a somewhat normal life.

Some sort of "living with covid"?

That'll never catch on.

That sounds bloody amazing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

fast or slow zombies ?

fast or slow zombies ?

We don't go to Ravenholm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Our situation is a finely balanced one. It is entirely possible a mass outbreak could happen somewhere on this Island that forces us to revert a bit. There's still enough unvaccinated people to paralyse the hospitals. There's also a potential for a variant to emerge from somewhere that could seriously fck stuff up. These are things that could happen. We should have plans for and be prepared for these. However, there's nothing to suggest that these things will definitely happen. They're low risk at moment. We have some wiggle room for taking on additional levels of risk. The more of the population that's vaccinated the more additional risks we can afford to take. Eventually we might be close to a full reopening. We'll have to thread a bit carefully, finding our way in the dark learning as we go to some extent, right now things look bloody good. Yes, something could go very wrong. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try and there's a much more reasonable expectation imo that things could go very well. We can't afford to become complacent. However, we can't afford to be overly anxious either. There is a way out of this mess and it looks like we're hopping on that train.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed.

How many people went around in 2019 living their lives in fear of a potential pandemic. Very few.

Once we’re vaccinated, that’ll be us protected as much as possible. Back to living, not this current monotonous existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

485 positive swabs, 2.44% positivity on 19,880 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 2.6%.

Last Thursday:

456 positive swabs, 2.52% positivity on 18,095 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

485 positive swabs, 2.44% positivity on 19,880 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 2.6%.

Last Thursday:

456 positive swabs, 2.52% positivity on 18,095 tests.

Not bad at all, good to see the positivity stay low.

GP referral data not great (significantly higher than last week), so I wasn't feeling optimistic for today or tomorrow's numbers. We shall see.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-04-29_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

Just to note we have a potential backlog of about 170 cases built up since 23rd April

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This is a very strange tweet, fair enough to have reservations but to just throw this out their. Im I missing something in that Israel's R rate dropped below 1 with 50% of the population with one dose.

https://twitter.com/aoifemcl/status/1387753299072491521

They shouldn't record the backlog of deaths from January, February, March etc. in daily death figures.

It's needlessly misleading.

Better to give TODAY'S figures only!

wadacrack wrote: »
    This is a very strange tweet, fair enough to have reservations but to just throw this out their. Im I missing something in that Israel's R rate dropped below 1 with 50% of the population with one dose.

https://twitter.com/aoifemcl/status/1387753299072491521

Her bio: #WeCanBeZero

Enough said IMO

eskimohunt wrote: »
    They shouldn't record the backlog of deaths from January, February, March etc. in daily death figures.

It's needlessly misleading.

Better to give TODAY'S figures only!

Thing is ot could be up to 3 months before we know today's actual figures

Thing is ot could be up to 3 months before we know today's actual figures

I don't see how.

Confirmed COVID-19 deaths in the past 24-hours cannot be that hard to call.

Unconfirmed deaths are an entirely separate matter.

But when we do establish what unconfirmed deaths are COVID-19 related, they can be added to the death tally but not to the daily death count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah it says 15 deaths for example but only 3 in April?

Thats like saying the football results from last night but also saying

"And also in todays football results

Liverpool 1 Man City 4
    Man Utd 0 Chelsea 0 as we failed to report on those games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement