Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Confirmed COVID-19 deaths in the past 24-hours cannot be that hard to call.
    Not everyone who dies from Covid is in ICU or even in hospital.

This is a matter of wording really, not much else. It's always reported as "X new deaths", when really it should "X new notifications of deaths".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't see how.

Unconfirmed deaths are an entirely separate matter.

But when we do establish what unconfirmed deaths are COVID-19 related, they can be added to the death tally but not to the daily death count.
    Confirmed just means the death has been notified within the past 24 hours. As has been pointed out many, many times, this is beyond the control of NPHET and anyone else recording deaths throughout this.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They shouldn't record the backlog of deaths from January, February, March etc. in daily death figures.

It's needlessly misleading.

Better to give TODAY'S figures only!
    They usually make it clear which month(s) the deaths occurred in

I suspect "today's" figure is never reported. There is always a time lag between death and reporting. That may only be a few hours, but can be much longer. And some of the deaths occurring today may not be reported until May, June or possibly even July and beyond

The way they are doing it is probably as good as it's going to get, and the fact they do state those figures relating to earlier periods helps

Looking at April to date, 210 deaths have been reported, but only around 67 of those occurred in April, with 43 in March (so March's figures were understated by that figure with more to come), 61 in February and 39 before that

Last month included 113 from February, meaning we are already looking at an increase of over 6 per day in February just in connection with figures reported in March and April

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I don't see how.

Unconfirmed deaths are an entirely separate matter.

But when we do establish what unconfirmed deaths are COVID-19 related, they can be added to the death tally but not to the daily death count.

This has been gone through many times on each of the threads on the forum ...

Deaths are registered by families of the deceased .
    They have 3 months to register the deaths for many reasons , not least of all that they are grieving .

The coroner and the medical officer certifying the death has to be sure what they are certifying ie. underlying conditions , how long since Covid test , whether died directly as a result of Covid or with Covid . All are recorded properly in this country .

The daily news does give the break down of deaths ie this many in April .

Also the HSPC gives numbers of presumed Covid deaths per day , as used to be posted here by spookwoman .

This is readily available online on the epidemiological data if you are concerned .

WHO using India as a sort of warning and then praising the EU vaccination efforts.
    The World Health Organization has issued a stark warning to European nations, saying that relaxing Covid-19 measures could spark a "perfect storm" allowing cases to spiral, as seen in India.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0429/1212734-coronavirus-global/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

is_that_so wrote: »
    WHO using India as a sort of warning and then praising the EU vaccination efforts.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0429/1212734-coronavirus-global/

Same way as any of us here 'could' win the lotto. Not comparable to Ireland, for one we aren't going to have a religulous festival with 50 million attending with little or no mask wearing and social distancing during that mass gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Looking fairly clear now that the language used was indeed political. 80% of adults will be offered vaccine by end of June, not necessarily given a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Looking fairly clear now that the language used was indeed political. 80% of adults will be offered vaccine by end of June, not necessarily given a vaccine.

Sure why not offer the vaccine to 100% of adults then? Let's blow the original goal out of the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

They shouldn't record the backlog of deaths from January, February, March etc. in daily death figures.

It's needlessly misleading.

Better to give TODAY'S figures only!

You go into the future and get them for us then. How many times do we have to listen to this, sort of gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Very hard for a government to achieve that unless vaccination is mandatory. They simply don't know the uptake etc... When it's voluntary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If they only ever reported today's figures then they would be underreporting deaths every single day, as its pretty evident that the true figures for any given day aren't complete until 2-3 months after.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Sure why not offer the vaccine to 100% of adults then? Let's blow the original goal out of the water!

They reckon 20% of adults won't want the vaccine so 80% will be "offered" it by end of June. They might give me an appointment in June for August

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Very hard for a government to achieve that unless vaccination is mandatory. They simply don't know the uptake etc... When it's voluntary.
    Opinion polls seem to suggest that it's likely to be in excess of 80% and it's been very high in other vaccinated cohorts.

Not comparable to Ireland, for one we aren't going to have a religulous festival with 50 million attending with little or no mask wearing and social distancing during that mass gathering.
    We did though. We had Xmas.

It may not have been one mass gathering, but it was many smaller gatherings them with no masks or social distancing.

And we know where it got us.

Granted, Xmas is a long way off, but our big risk in opening up is that people will engage in the pent-up demand; celebrations and gatherings that were deferred to the end of the pandemic. We need to keep it clear that there are a few more months to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Just doing some quick calculations on Astra Zeneca.

41 deaths associated with clots out of 22,000,000 represents 0.00%
    If Multiplied by 10 represents 0.00%
    If Multiplied by 100 represents 0.02%

Now the question is, is there under reporting (connections not being made) or assumptions that cause is connected where it is not..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

humberklog wrote: »
    2 weeks + suits me as it gives me time to do a spruce up in one shop and a slight move of premises in another. Those jobs will keep my mind and time busy.
    I found the last re-open a little too sudden and it caught a lot of SME's on the back foot. That's not to say the should've waited, I think they should have flagged it earlier.

India's in a jock. A friend of mine left Ireland for Pushkar back in March '20. I was just back from S.E Asia and he was asking me lots about Covid over there at the time, he was way more worried than I was. I thought unusually worried.
    He was getting on good in India, lots of photos of his house and him knocking about the area making friends etc. I was chatting to him 4 weeks ago about business as I was going to host some of his work in one of my galleries and he was fairly relaxed about Covid. He's become complacent.
    He died last week aged 55.

Back to Vietnam in Feb last year and I was having a great night with a bar owner. She was saying that this disease was coming to Europe and 2 things is gonna kill us- An expectation of Freedoms and Complacency.
    She wasn't wrong.

So sorry to hear about your friend, that's shockingly sad.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

CB19Kevo wrote: »

Now the question is, is there under reporting (connections not being made) or assumptions that cause is connected where it is not..

Its probably fairer to look at clots by age group - the regulating authorities likely did the same when they recommended it only to people of certain age ranges.

Same as risk from covid across all age ranges is quite low, but take out the younger groups and it shoots way up.

CB19Kevo wrote: »

Its all political. Cant have those backwards brexiters showing us up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

this was always the understanding?

80% of adults will have the opportunity to have a vaccine by end of June

There is no other way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What's the target for 100% of adults offered a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

seamus wrote: »
    Granted, Xmas is a long way off, but our big risk in opening up is that people will engage in the pent-up demand; celebrations and gatherings that were deferred to the end of the pandemic. We need to keep it clear that there are a few more months to wait.
    Gotta keep re-iterating the outdoor bit. Even if people mix a bit more, the chances of a runaway spread are substantially mitigated. I'm glad the government are doing the same e.g. the distraction of the 9 euro meal is gone, and they are emphasising it's more about being outdoors.

What I would like to see (and we won't see) is no-holds barred enforcement from the Guards of the rules over the next few weeks. Anywhere opening indoors which is not allowed should be shut down immediately. Let people go to the parks, beaches and mountains, and ignore the whinging about car parking and how close they are unless clearly dangerous - it's only for a short while.

What's the target for 100% of adults offered a vaccine.
    Probably first few weeks of July.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Probably first few weeks of July.

The numbers given today were six million doses by the end of July, which will indeed be at or very close to 100% having been offered a first dose.

Are we really still going on about Christmas?

Nobody was vaccinated at that stage and some people caught a respiratory illness during peak respiratory illness season.

Time to move on. The most vulnerable are mostly vaccinated now.

Time to open up and rid ourselves of these nonsense restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

seamus wrote: »
    We did though. We had Xmas.

It may not have been one mass gathering, but it was many smaller gatherings them with no masks or social distancing.

And we know where it got us.

Christmas was always going to bring a certain amount of this virus spreading in community. A wave was coming regardless, the mismanagement by the government and NPHET from September onwards has played its part in the extraordinary wave that we got in January and while they won't admit it in public (blaming variants instead) I bet they would have done things different in hindsight.

While plenty are pleased with todays reopening plan its still a plan with loads of caution in it.

Are we really still going on about Christmas?

Nobody was vaccinated at that stage and some people caught a respiratory illness during peak respiratory illness season.

Time to move on. The most vulnerable are mostly vaccinated now.

Time to open up and rid ourselves of these nonsense restrictions.

There is absolutely no comparison with Christmas, 1.5 million vaccines later. The game has changed beyond all recognition. Pay no heed to faux authoritarian rubbish like "we need to keep it clear that there are a few more months to wait." Whoever "we" is, and unless there are clearly defined credentials behind that argument then it is rather meaningless. Mature governance is required, not irrational distrust of the population and further harm wrought on struggling business owners especially indoor hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Stephen "we're being nice to the public" Donnelly is a social media obsessed pillock.

I think he got hacked tbh...

• Advertisement

I think he got hacked tbh...

yeh, it was deleted pretty sharpish

It's telling though how easy it was to believe that it was him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement