Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Some good statisticians on here.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what the positivity rate was on Friday 24th April last year when NEPHET extended lockdown by a month. Purely for pig iron comparison. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some good statisticians on here.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what the positivity rate was on Friday 24th April last year when NEPHET extended lockdown by a month. Purely for pig iron comparison. Thanks.

I think you'd be wasting your time. Positivity rate in April 2020 was about 20% as the criteria to get tested were far more restricted than now.
    I think unless you were in a high risk group even with symptoms you didn't get tested, you were told to isolate.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/17f5cb-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-tuesday-14-/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The new variants would muddy the waters of comparisons there, I heard something on the news to the effect triples the chance of hospitalisation even for under 65s but I haven't seen the supporting data on that.

Nobody has, there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think you'd be wasting your time. Positivity rate in April 2020 was about 20% as the criteria to get tested were far more restricted than now.
    I think unless you were in a high risk group even with symptoms you didn't get tested, you were told to isolate.

I know it was higher, but I wouldn't have expected 20% for late April, if so we wouldn't have got out of lockdown in June to level 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Looking through the last few posts a lot of positivity, so opinions on what can we expect announce on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Looking through the last few posts a lot of positivity, so opinions on what can we expect announce on Monday?

7pm curfews might be all they've left to try

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I know it was higher, but I wouldn't have expected 20% for late April, if so we wouldn't have got out of lockdown in June to level 3?

The positivity rate was pointless back then. It was raw numbers as we were only checking those with symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

gctest50 wrote: »
    7pm curfews might be all they've left to try
    No cant do that, how will i get my takeaways in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Something has to be done with Donegal. A few weeks where the restrictions are actually enforced might finally bring them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Slide1.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    Slide6.jpg
    Slide7.jpg
    Slide8.jpg
    Slide9.jpg
    Slide10.jpg
    Slide12.jpg
    Slide16.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

An incoherent "is there anything to be said for another mass" from our great leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Szero wrote: »
    600 cases now is obviously nowhere near as serious as 600 cases would have been a few months ago.

The average age is getting younger and with that the risk profile is declining.

Has anyone attempted to put any science behind this? i.e. a risk weighting i.e. take the number of cases, the age profiles and the percentages chance of hospitalisation and convert into a risk weighting. This would help us more accurately compare back to prior months.

Is 600 cases now the equivalent of 400 cases a few months ago in terms of risk weighting ??? etc.

Some science might help bring focus away from the headline number and show an improving picture.

I think it's very hard to give exact figures as the vaccination numbers are changing every day but NPHET should have a rough idea of our current expected deaths/hospitalisations per number of cases at the moment but they are very slow to mention anything like this.

They have however said that even after the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated we would have 3.5% of cases ending up in hospital. Leo also said that he was told this by NPHET. The funny thing is at moment less than 3% of under 65s end up in hospital. That's before the vulnerable under 65s are vaccinated so you'd expect that percentage to drop a lot further after that too. Either their modelling is way off or they are being dishonest with us on purpose. Either way it's not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Why don’t we test everyone in Ireland. Quarantine those who have it. Quarantine everyone coming into the country. There, covid is sorted in 1 month. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Harpon wrote: »
    Why don’t we test everyone in Ireland. Quarantine those who have it. Quarantine everyone coming into the country. There, covid is sorted in 1 month. Done.

Good man yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

A guy at work who I come in to contact with briefly every day spews out 5h1te to me and others about the latest COVID theory’s, I’m way to polite to tell him to F off and don’t be annoying me hole with dung. He’s a sound bloke in general but holy jaysus the stuff he reads and takes on board and then regurgitates it to me and others. The UCD professor and her 5h1te, he believes every word, “they” are trying to to get rid of money, driving up costs & inflation, banning diesel and petrol cars, forcing people to buy much more expensive electric cars so as to burn off peoples wealth etc so as to keep people at home and “under control” the Suez Canal ship was deliberately grounded to inflate costs to the consumer ... I could go on and on. As I say he’s sound but very deluded and gullible and I wouldn’t want to hurt his feelings and tell him to cop on and stop talking diarrhoea, unfortunately they’re is growing generation of people who don’t participate in protests etc but STIlLL but in to the ****e.

Carefree88 wrote: »
    3.5% is wrong.Israel are saying 94% efficacy and 96% at preventing hospital cases

That's 0.24% chance of hospitalisation, 2.4 in a thousand, 2,400 in a 1 million, NPHET and Leo can't even do basic math.Worst case like Chile with that Chinese vaccine its 50% efficacy and 90% preventing hospital cases according to them, its 5,000 hospitalisations in a million.

Ach you're playing with numbers there.

And Chile with the third highest vaccination rate on an efficacy 90% preventing hospitalisations has declared a major emergency due to the hospital service now being overrun.

But carry on, you'll be fun for a while.

Slovakia did similar not sure how they got on with it.

Population slightly above ours and currently about 1500 new cases per day for the past three months and 70+ deaths per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Klonker wrote: »
    I think it's very hard to give exact figures as the vaccination numbers are changing every day but NPHET should have a rough idea of our current expected deaths/hospitalisations per number of cases at the moment but they are very slow to mention anything like this.

They have however said that even after the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated we would have 3.5% of cases ending up in hospital. Leo also said that he was told this by NPHET. The funny thing is at moment less than 3% of under 65s end up in hospital. That's before the vulnerable under 65s are vaccinated so you'd expect that percentage to drop a lot further after that too. Either their modelling is way off or they are being dishonest with us on purpose. Either way it's not good enough.

Nolan was asked that question on Thursday and waffles around for a while without answering it. I don't understand why he wouldn't. Those numbers are being used to form decisions that will most likely be acted upon by the government and effect us all. It's not like it's commercially sensitive information.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Chile is one to watch for sure, if vaccines work as we are told then that math should mean the emergency should be short lived there, interesting times ahead, Israel vaccine sunshine everything opened, Chile vaccine doubt closing everything and UK in two minds what to do and US ploughing on.

No idea what point you're making there. It seems to contradict your first post.

Good luck. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

3.5% is wrong.Israel are saying 94% efficacy and 96% at preventing hospital cases

That's 0.24% chance of hospitalisation, 2.4 in a thousand, 2,400 in a 1 million, NPHET and Leo can't even do basic math.Worst case like Chile with that Chinese vaccine its 50% efficacy and 90% preventing hospital cases according to them, its 5,000 hospitalisations in a million.

The 3.5% figure is the non vaccinated young people.
    So once those are all protected, Leo is saying 3.5% of that young unvaccinated group will need hospitals care still. Nothing to do with vaccine efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Gleen said vaccinated 3.5%

That's different than what the OP references. The OP stats seem more realistic. No way hospitalisation rate in vaccinated people is running at 3%
    I think you may have misheard Glynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Wolf359f wrote: »
    That's different than what the OP references. The OP stats seem more realistic. No way hospitalisation rate in vaccinated people is running at 3%
    I think you may have misheard Glynn.

Did Varadkar not say 35 in 1,000 expected to be hospitalised? As in .35% - or did Glynn give different figures - haven’t read what Glynn said yet.

Did Varadkar not say 35 in 1,000 expected to be hospitalised? As in .35% - or did Glynn give different figures - haven’t read what Glynn said yet.

35 in 1000 is 3.5% and if that is the number being thrown around then we are being taken for fools

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

35 in 1000 is 3.5%?

Aw not deleted quickly enough - alcohol maths

JRant wrote: »
    Nolan was asked that question on Thursday and waffles around for a while without answering it. I don't understand why he wouldn't. Those numbers are being used to form decisions that will most likely be acted upon by the government and effect us all. It's not like it's commercially sensitive information.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that he was questioned on it. Hopefully it's questioned again because it really needs to be.

I didn't here him say it, but people here said he did say it in his briefing, I said 0.24% is the correct figure based on pfizer israel, 2,400 in 1 million will need hospital care

I posted it here earlier. Ronan Glynn and Leo both said that if all elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated we'll still have 3.5% of cases ending up in hospital. They didn't mention what percentage of that 3.5% would be the vaccinated or unvaccinated but you'd expect that they think the unvaccinated will make up the majority of the 3.5%. They didn't say what age is viewed as elderly or what groups constitute vulnerable.

My point is currently less than 3% of cases under 65s are hospitalised so its hard to see how this would jump to 3.5% when vulnerable are vaccinated too. The modelling by NPHET certainly needs to be questioned on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 319 (up from 304 last night)
    ICU 65 (down from 66 last night)

Last Saturday
    Total 350
    ICU 83

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement