Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

is_that_so wrote: »

I somehow managed to get a head cold, was panicing that it was Covid as i'd sore throat and blocked nose, which are rare symptoms of COVID.

Rang my GP and was told that they've seen an increase of these cases and dont worry unless you've got the classic big 3 (cough, temperature, loss of smell/taste)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Vicxas wrote: »
    I somehow managed to get a head cold, was panicing that it was Covid as i'd sore throat and blocked nose, which are rare symptoms of COVID.

Rang my GP and was told that they've seen an increase of these cases and dont worry unless you've got the classic big 3 (cough, temperature, loss of smell/taste)

Same, haven't really gone anywhere and came down with a sore throat Saturday so booked a test. Sunday morning, before the test, I started coughing, then Sunday evening I got a temperature, at which point I resigned myself to the fact I must have it. Negative result Monday and still a bit of a cough. It certainly refocussed my mind though, having to self-isolate in the bedroom away from wife with a 3 week old and 5 year old out of school would have been an absolute nightmare... for my wife :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Down to 41 in ICU - damn we are flying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Same, haven't really gone anywhere and came down with a sore throat Saturday so booked a test. Sunday morning, before the test, I started coughing, then Sunday evening I got a temperature, at which point I resigned myself to the fact I must have it. Negative result Monday and still a bit of a cough. It certainly refocussed my mind though, having to self-isolate in the bedroom away from wife with a 3 week old and 5 year old out of school would have been an absolute nightmare... for my wife :D

Should have told her there was a delay on the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

is_that_so wrote: »

How does common cold infectiousness compare with that of Covid-19 I wonder?(I mean how many victims might a spreader typically cause ,and would it be mostly airborne as well?)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Faugheen wrote: »
    Daily case numbers are mostly impacting under 30s, who aren't putting pressure on the hospital system.

The hospital numbers are the key metric now. Unless a swathe of under 30s are going to hospital because of a not-seen-yet mutant variant, then the daily case numbers aren't going to have much value especially as the over-60s start getting vaccinated next week.

Daily case numbers mean absolutely nothing now, as you say the key metrics are hospitalisations and ICU numbers which are all falling rapidly.

Yet RTE will continue to demand daily case figures so George Lee can justify his scare tactics. He really was disgraceful last night making things up either because he didn't understand what he was being told or even worse, maliciously so.

I'd love for them to just give a weekly briefing and only report the vaccination numbers going forward, the days of Lee and his employers scaring people silly needs to end

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Necro wrote: »
    Daily case numbers mean absolutely nothing now, as you say the key metrics are hospitalisations and ICU numbers which are all falling rapidly.

Yet RTE will continue to demand daily case figures so George Lee can justify his scare tactics. He really was disgraceful last night making things up either because he didn't understand what he was being told or even worse, maliciously so.

I'd love for them to just give a weekly briefing and only report the vaccination numbers going forward, the days of Lee and his employers scaring people silly needs to end

In fairness even Ronan Glynn a couple of weeks ago was essentially telling George to settle down.

Tony yesterday even said he doesn't want to scare people because now is the time to move to the next phase and not to get hung up on the case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

amandstu wrote: »
    How does common cold infectiousness compare with that of Covid-19 I wonder?(I mean how many victims might a spreader typically cause ,and would it be mostly airborne as well?)

It's R0 is 2-3. Not much different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Is George Lee actually good at anything? Serious question.

He failed as a politician and he's clearly the worst high profile journalist in the country (which is quite the achievement in itself).

Maybe he's good at scrabble or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I think it was the previous day that George was saying a lot more younger people are ending up in hospital due to the B117 variant which wasn't the first time he's mentioned this. Cillian De Gascun gave a very informative interview on Today with Claire Byrne about 2 weeks ago and said although some international data shows B117 has slightly more severe covid symptoms,,here in Ireland there hasn't been a noticeable difference. Just worth remember next time you hear George or anyone else mention that here that they are disagreeing with Cillian.

Something I have wanted for a long time - a reduction in reporting on COVID - even a break at weekends would be nice....I think I read in some countries they take a break at weekends..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A special meeting to discuss the increase in Covid-19 cases in Donegal is to take place this evening.

Deputy Joe McHugh called for the meeting, due to take place at 6pm, between the Chief Medical Officer, Health Minister and all Oireachtas members from the county.

Non essential retail open in the North now, outdoor pubs and this month indoor dining and pubs open. If they keep Donegal in a harsher lockdown its hard to see how it would have a great impact when next door is completely open.

IMO they should open multiple walk in test centres in the County ASAP to try and break future chains of transmission before things open further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Downlinz

547 positive swabs, 3.03% positivity on 18,052 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Downlinz wrote: »
    547 positive swabs, 3.03% positivity on 18,052 tests.

Last week for comparison

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1385963496827990016

More swabs but more tests too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A good visualisation for people in terms of tests & positivity.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1388499317900681220?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Economics101

What does deputy McHugh mean by asking for "more resources"? The Pavlovian reaction of TDs (especially rural ones) is to ask for "more resources". Anything to deflect from calling out behaviour.

With vaccination more advanced in NI, and with prevalence presumably lower there now, surely border counties should have lower incidence? Something about behaviour within Donegal and other border areas? Donegal seems to have a high appetite for risk: look at the rate of road deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

What does deputy McHugh mean by asking for "more resources"? The Pavlovian reaction of TDs (especially rural ones) is to ask for "more resources". Anything to deflect from calling out behaviour.

With vaccination more advanced in NI, and with prevalence presumably lower there now, surely border counties should have lower incidence? Something about behaviour within Donegal and other border areas? Donegal seems to have a high appetite for risk: look at the rate of road deaths.

It’s just a cultural thing up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

BREAKING: 3 deaths and 569 cases of #covid19 reported today

Of today's cases

78% are under 45 years of age

The median age is 26 years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    A special meeting to discuss the increase in Covid-19 cases in Donegal is to take place this evening.

Deputy Joe McHugh called for the meeting, due to take place at 6pm, between the Chief Medical Officer, Health Minister and all Oireachtas members from the county.

Non essential retail open in the North now, outdoor pubs and this month indoor dining and pubs open. If they keep Donegal in a harsher lockdown its hard to see how it would have a great impact when next door is completely open.

IMO they should open multiple walk in test centres in the County ASAP to try and break future chains of transmission before things open further.

Something needs to change but I suspect the finger waving and being told off by the 'lads down in Dublin' doesn't sit well with many folk in Donegal, or anywhere for that matter. They've been too fond of using the concerned headmaster spiel when it comes to voicing their unhappiness with how any particular situation has gone over the last 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I suspect Donegal is fudging the numbers somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Something I have wanted for a long time - a reduction in reporting on COVID - even a break at weekends would be nice....I think I read in some countries they take a break at weekends..

Where I am, they stopped reporting cases over the weekend recently. Of course, that means cases are higher on Mondays and Tuesdays because it includes the weekend numbers and at first the panic merchants were all over it but honestly, no one cares that much anymore. I imagine it will be brought down to once a week reporting at some point. Who cares about cases when the majority of the vulnerable are vaccinated and anyone else who wants one, as is the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭User1998

redarmy wrote: »
    BREAKING: 3 deaths and 569 cases of #covid19 reported today

Of today's cases

78% are under 45 years of age

The median age is 26 years old

Great to see the median age so low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 irelandpride

Its fantastic the low hospital numbers are sustaining and are much less than flu numbers at the current time even with around 500 around cases a day.

Happy to wait another few weeks for the 50-59 age group to be vaccinated before a full open up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

prunudo wrote: »
    Something needs to change but I suspect the finger waving and being told off by the 'lads down in Dublin' doesn't sit well with many folk in Donegal, or anywhere for that matter. They've been too fond of using the concerned headmaster spiel when it comes to voicing their unhappiness with how any particular situation has gone over the last 14 months.

Donegal has always been a little different when it comes to many things. Possibly due to close proximity to the border? I'm not sure why but there are various things that seem to be done... shall we say in a different way compared to the rest of the country.

Have to be careful not to tar the whole county with the same brush mind, it's primarily Northern Donegal that's the problem Covid wise. Buncrana, Letterkenny, that area. Southern Donegal is in line with the rest of the country and being dragged up by the other numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Great to see just 123 in hospital and 41 in ICU. May 1st 2020 we had 740 in hospital and 99 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I think he means in relation to walk in test centres for worst affected areas. Donegal had regions consistently in the highest rate in the country and was excluded from the list of walk in centres until last Saturday in Letterkenny which returned a positivity rate of almost 10%. It is running today which is good, however a failure to implement it sooner has lead to more cases than there would have been, Buncrana was sky high a number of weeks ago and its next door to letterkenny. In some parts of Donegal its 2 to 2 and a half hours round trip to get tested when you've been referred for a test.

Its not every part of Donegal either, the south and west have faired well. Donegal and Glenties are currently below the average national rate. There is problem generally with North and East Donegal throughout. It wouldn't do any harm to put some extra resources in to these areas in terms of testing to try to nullify the problem because as the country opens up, any weak spot is a weak spot to all. Donegal will be a popular county for domestic holidays. I think its a good thing to put extra resources there for now, as it would be for any area currently doing bad.

I'm not discounting behaviour BTW either, I just think its unfair to label Donegal on the whole as problematic. I'm sure the vast majority have followed the guidelines, perhaps a slightly higher % haven't compared to elsewhere. I would think that's probably true given the ongoing situation.

• Advertisement

Great to see just 123 in hospital and 41 in ICU. May 1st 2020 we had 740 in hospital and 99 in ICU.

WOW! Incredible comparison...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement