Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

WOW! Incredible comparison...

Such a worthwhile comparison too. Needed for those who worry at the fact we have higher case numbers now than when we started to open up in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maybe the authorities in Derry should initiate MHQ for travellers from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It's going to be hard switching from Daily case numbers to hospital numbers as its been beaten into us over the past year that case numbers are the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Vicxas wrote: »
    It's going to be hard switching from Daily case numbers to hospital numbers as its been beaten into us over the past year that case numbers are the be all and end all.
    Soon we may not care about any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Vicxas wrote: »

I've looked at hospital and icu numbers as the main indicators for ages at this stage. It's what we should've been concerned with all along. The obsession with case numbers has been largely down to the likes of RTE in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,244 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

redarmy wrote: »
    BREAKING: 3 deaths and 569 cases of #covid19 reported today
    Of today's cases
    78% are under 45 years of age
    The median age is 26 years old

No county breakdown?

RIP those 3

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've always looked at hospital and icu numbers as the main indicators myself, the obsession with case numbers has been mostly down to the likes of RTE in my opinion.
    For a long time they were a precursor to those hospital numbers and at very high levels cannot be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

I've looked at hospital and icu numbers as the main indicators for ages at this stage. It's what we should've been concerned with all along. The obsession with case numbers has been largely down to the likes of RTE in my opinion.

Same as, also I've watched the swab data and 7 day averages more than daily cases since Christmas and its given a better indication in my mind of where things are. The daily reported cases fluctuate more in my experience.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

is_that_so wrote: »
    For a long time they were a precursor to those hospital numbers and at very high levels cannot be ignored.

Exactly this.

If you had 500-odd cases in January then it would be a lot more concerning than it is now primarily because of the vaccines.

I don't see why people are playing a 'I told you so' game about this. We all knew it was going to get to a point where the number of cases daily didn't matter but it was the impact on the hospital system. If cases went up but hospital numbers are steady/declining, then it's clear vaccinations are working.

Just because some people said this every day since the beginning of February doesn't mean they had this glorious epiphany nobody else had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Faugheen wrote: »
    Exactly this.

If you had 500-odd cases in January then it would be a lot more concerning than it is now primarily because of the vaccines.

I don't see why people are playing a 'I told you so' game about this. We all knew it was going to get to a point where the number of cases daily didn't matter but it was the impact on the hospital system. If cases went up but hospital numbers are steady/declining, then it's clear vaccinations are working.

Just because some people said this every day since the beginning of February doesn't mean they had this glorious epiphany nobody else had.

I don't want to be the person that says I told you so, but I and others had flagged that this point was coming - especially around the time when this forum was wallowing in self pity and the anti covid agitation was in full flow.
    I'd be more optimistic than that, if hospital and death numbers continue to fall, with static or rising case numbers we will still see further easing. The whole point of the restrictions is to prevent the health service from becoming overwhelmed, so if these key metrics decouple because of vaccination (and they will at some point), case numbers become less relevant. Lots of reasons to be hopeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Maybe the authorities in Derry should initiate MHQ for travellers from Donegal.

derry 14 day rate higher than donegal county. just sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Greg Hughes a radio host on highland radio Donegal just posted that he's been told the current level of restrictions won't be lifted in Donegal if the current rates continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Faugheen wrote: »
    Exactly this.

I don't want to be the person that says I told you so, but I and others had flagged that this point was coming - especially around the time when this forum was wallowing in self pity and the anti covid agitation was in full flow.

Whoosh!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This week compared to last week.

276 more cases and 148 more positive swabs from 8,681 extra tests carried out.

7 fewer reported deaths (36 v 43)
    39 fewer in hospital (123 v 162)
    5 fewer in ICU (41 v 46)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Is this thread full of narcissists who believe that they are invincible? I've lost count of the number of posters who proclaim that case numbers don't matter any more.

Sure higher case numbers are unlikely to overwhelm the hospital system and result in excess mortality. But for the individual, if you haven't been vaxxed your personal level of risk is still linked to case numbers, the same as it was back in January.

Ones chances of catching covid don't really depend on whether hospitals are full of old people with covid or not now do they?

Obviously even if one does catch it symptoms are likely to be mild, but that also was always the case for anybody not yet vaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This week compared to last week.

276 more cases and 148 more positive swabs from 8,681 extra tests carried out.

7 fewer reported deaths (36 v 43)
    39 fewer in hospital (123 v 162)
    5 fewer in ICU (41 v 46)

We're doing grand compared to poor India, just seen a report that they've passed 19 million covid cases, that's insane.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 irelandpride

Is this thread full of narcissists who believe that they are invincible? I've lost count of the number of posters who proclaim that case numbers don't matter any more.

Sure higher case numbers are unlikely to overwhelm the hospital system and result in excess mortality. But for the individual, if you haven't been vaxxed your personal level of risk is still linked to case numbers, the sae as it was back in January.

Ones chances of catching covid don't really depend on whether hospitals are full of old people with covid or not now do they?

Obviously even if one does catch it sympthoms are likely to be mild, but that also was always the case for anybody not yet vaxxed.

If covid was such a risk to younger people schools wouldn't be open would they. The most vunerable are now vaccinated and the hospital numbers are low, not even as bad as the 2018 flu season where there was 4,000 hospitalzed.

The average age of death from Covid in Ireland is 83.

If you feel nervous and want to stay home till your vaccinated there is nothing stopping you.

Calling people narcissists' because we've endured the longest lockdown in the world and businesses are on the brink off collapse.

The hospital numbers are low which is the most vital statistic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yes, they could build a wall.

Las Vegas in the hills of Donegal.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sure higher case numbers are unlikely to overwhelm the hospital system and result in excess mortality. But for the individual, if you haven't been vaxxed your personal level of risk is still linked to case numbers, the same as it was back in January.

Obviously even if one does catch it symptoms are likely to be mild, but that also was always the case for anybody not yet vaxxed.

Most people are saying that hospitalisations and icu numbers are now the most important metrics. Not sure how that makes them narcissists :confused:

If covid was such a risk to younger people schools wouldn't be open would they. The most vunerable are now vaccinated and the hospital numbers are low, not even as bad as the 2018 flu season where there was 4,000 hospitalzed.

The average age of death from Covid in Ireland is 83.

If you feel nervous and want to stay home till your vaccinated there is nothing stopping you.

Calling people narcissists' because we've endured the longest lockdown in the world and businesses are on the brink off collapse.

The hospital numbers are low which is the most vital statistic now.

Calm down would you. I never said you were going to die in the morning. Just nothing has changed from last year and case numbers are as relevant now to an individual as they were at any point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

A million percent this

Most people are saying that hospitalisations and icu numbers are now the most important metrics. Not sure how that makes them narcissists :confused:

Anybody who thinks case numbers don't matter doesn't understand their own personal level of risk. This is unrelated to whether the hospitals are full of old people or not.

btw, I'm not hiding away and I wasn't last January either.

The most vulnerable are now vaccinated

No they're not

At all

Practically none (maybe 1% last I checked) of Cohort 7 (High Risk) have been done, and earlier Cohorts aren't completed yet

I'm presuming NPHET know they will all have at least one shot by the time things fully open up though

But - as it stands right now - "the most vulnerable are now vaccinated" narrative is complete and utter nonsense

edit:

Just found the latest stats

Let's stop with the "Da mOst vuLnerAble R vaccinAteD tho" crap

They're not

Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)

Total in group: ~250,000
    Total vaccines: 184,022 (+19,440)
    Total with first vaccine: 178,985 (+15,126)
    Total with second vaccine: 5,037 (+4,314)
    72% of total half vaccinated (+11%)
    2% of total fully vaccinated (+1.7%)

Cohort 5 (All aged 60-69)

Total in group: 417,000
    Total vaccines: 100,152 (+12,764)
    Total with first vaccine: 100,123 (+12,717)
    Total with second vaccine: 29
    24% of total half vaccinated
    0% of total fully vaccinated

Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)

Total in group: ~350,000
    Total vaccines: 1,164 (+11)
    Total with first vaccine: 1,152 (+11)
    Total with second vaccine: 1 (+0)
    0% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    No they're not

At all

Practically none (maybe 1% last I checked) of Cohort 7 (High Risk) have been done, and earlier Cohorts aren't completed yet

I'm presuming NPHET know they will all have at least one shot by the time things fully open up though

But - as it stands right now - "the most vulnerable are now vaccinated" narrative is complete and utter nonsense

People on here getting irate when we say the vaccine rollout is going slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 irelandpride

Calm down would you. I never said you were going to die in the morning. Just nothing has changed from last year and case numbers are as relevant now to an individual as they were at any point.

Do you not hear the most vulnerable are now vaccinated? Vaccinations have been in the news for the last few months.

So yes it is entirely different than last year.

Our economy can't sustain much more. People's livelehoods are more important now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

We're doing grand compared to poor India, just seen a report that they've passed 19 million covid cases, that's insane.

Whats insane about 19 million? Their population is about 275 times our own. Our confirmed cases per capita is about 4 times theirs.

I'm sure there's massive underreporting there of course, but it would be 70 million cases there to get to our equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    No they're not

At all

edit:

Just found the latest stats

Let's stop with the "Da mOst vuLnerAble R vaccinAteD tho" crap

They're not

Total in group: ~250,000
    Total vaccines: 184,022 (+19,440)
    Total with first vaccine: 178,985 (+15,126)
    Total with second vaccine: 5,037 (+4,314)
    72% of total half vaccinated (+11%)
    2% of total fully vaccinated (+1.7%)

Cohort 5 (All aged 60-69)

Total in group: 417,000
    Total vaccines: 100,152 (+12,764)
    Total with first vaccine: 100,123 (+12,717)
    Total with second vaccine: 29
    24% of total half vaccinated
    0% of total fully vaccinated

Cohort 7 (People aged 16-69 who have an underlying conditions that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death)

Total in group: ~350,000
    Total vaccines: 1,164 (+11)
    Total with first vaccine: 1,152 (+11)
    Total with second vaccine: 1 (+0)
    0% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    0% of total fully vaccinated (+0%)

But they arent the MOST vulnerable.

You conveniently left out +70/80 and HCW.

Good work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

big syke wrote: »

Good work
    Semantics.

Many of those more vulnerable have yet to be vaccinated.

Does that pass your scrutiny?

Do you not hear the most vulnerable are now vaccinated? Vaccinations have been in the news for the last few months.

So yes it is entirely different than last year.

Our economy can't sustain much more. People's livelehoods are more important now.

I'm not sure where to go with this?

Some grannies getting vaccinated or the economy being locked down for five minutes or five years don't make any difference to your personal chances of catching covid.

The proportion of people who have covid that you meet when you are out and about do. That is all I'm saying.

If you don't understand this then you're either believe you're invincible or ...

• Advertisement

big syke wrote: »

Good work

You're choosing whatever semantics suits your own narrative. What's being said repeatedly on here is "the vulnerable are vaccinated"

Why are Cohort 7 called "High risk"?

For the craic?

As for HCWs: they aren't fully finished doing them yet

Cohort 2 (Frontline Healthcare Workers)
    • Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 351,425
    • Total with first vaccine: 255,631 (+422)
    • Total with second vaccine: 95,794
    • 102% of total half vaccinated (+0%)
    • 40% of total fully vaccinated (+1%)

"High Risk" not good enough for you?

Grand so, how about Very High Risk - Cohort 4

• Total in group: ~250,000
    • Total vaccines: 184,022 (+19,440)
    • Total with first vaccine: 178,985 (+15,126)
    • Total with second vaccine: 5,037 (+4,314)
    • 72% of total half vaccinated (+11%)
    • 2% of total fully vaccinated (+1.7%)

So no

We're not there yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement