Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Eod100 wrote: »

The only positive thing in this atm. Great to see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Unfortunately the irish independent went to the bottom of the pit on coronavirus since last year with click bait articles with no back up on the sources its down there with rte today fm newstalk the daily mail the guardian the mirror the sun and a few others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

rosiem wrote: »
    So it’s ok to lock these counties down with more serious restrictions than the rest of the country but in your opinion stupid to prioritise hotspots for vaccinations perhaps instead of childish memes and emojis you could actually give your reasoning behind that

No it's not right to lockdown those counties(which I never mentioned) any more than it's right to vaccinate them first. The worst three or four counties changes and changes quickly. Counties like Cavan, Louth, and Monaghan were up there a few weeks ago and are now down the list. It fluctuates and dashing about from county to county chasing bushfires won't work. The mechanics of it are problematic too. What about people travelling to Dublin on a daily commute, do they get vaccinated as part of the Dublin cohort? It's just not practical.

And, sorry, but I find the notion absurd when we have limited vaccine availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Unfortunately the irish independent went to the bottom of the pit on coronavirus since last year with click bait articles with no back up on the sources its down there with rte today fm newstalk the daily mail the guardian the mirror the sun and a few others

Just read the Sunday Business Post - suggesting even less will reopen until May. This country has really lost it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

And, sorry, but I find the notion absurd when we have limited vaccine availability.

It is absurd. That's why regional restrictions would be difficult to implement too. And it also shows you how the suggestions to lift restricitions don't really have anything to do with the whole picture, but are concentrated to where the posters suggesting them live.

I'd ease restrictions in Munster myself, but I'm also pretty sure it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

‘It was spectacular’: 5,000 fans pack Barcelona concert after rapid Covid tests
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/it-was-spectacular-5-000-fans-pack-barcelona-concert-after-rapid-covid-tests-1.4522155

This is how a progressive, innovative and smart country with pragmatic, effective leaders adapt and drive forward as the pandemic continues.

Meanwhile in Ireland, stuck with a stale NPHET and Government, we may get to move 10km from our house for exercise until June if we’re lucky. Laughable if it wasn’t so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

No it's not right to lockdown those counties(which I never mentioned) any more than it's right to vaccinate them first. The worst three or four counties changes and changes quickly. Counties like Cavan, Louth, and Monaghan were up there a few weeks ago and are now down the list. It fluctuates and dashing about from county to county chasing bushfires won't work. The mechanics of it are problematic too. What about people travelling to Dublin on a daily commute, do they get vaccinated as part of the Dublin cohort? It's just not practical.

Exactly my post that you jumped on was in response to a poster suggesting opening up certain counties more and locking down the 8 in Leinster and Donegal. I was merely asking if we use that logic to do that should we vaccinate the counties we are not opening up it appears we agree but you decided mocking me was better move than discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Population slightly above ours and currently about 1500 new cases per day for the past three months and 70+ deaths per day.

From reading up on what Slovakia did, they only tested adults. For my plan to work ,you would need to test everyone.
    Slovakia also used antigen tests instead of the more accurate pcr tests.
    They also did not have enforced quarantine for travellers coming into the country.

The more I think of this, the more curious I am as to why no country has tried testing the full population yet. Perhaps it simply comes down to an inexplicable desire for politicians to allow people to come into their country without enforcing quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Golfman64 wrote: »
    ‘It was spectacular’: 5,000 fans pack Barcelona concert after rapid Covid tests
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/it-was-spectacular-5-000-fans-pack-barcelona-concert-after-rapid-covid-tests-1.4522155

This is how a progressive, innovative and smart country with pragmatic, effective leaders adapt and drive forward as the pandemic continues.

Meanwhile in Ireland, stuck with a stale NPHET and Government, we may get to move 10km from our house for exercise until June if we’re lucky. Laughable if it wasn’t so serious.

While that is encouraging I have to say it is very sad to see these people with those stupid masks on them. Like really? 5,000 people packed into a venue and then you make them wear these idiot things? I guess that rule was made by people who have never been at a concert that wasn't Bach in their lives.

So in a sense it is a positive development but at the same time it also shows how deep that rabbit hole we're in really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

I was never a fan of special advisors but I think this government really needs some help with communicating. I just wish they came out and told us where we are, what the plan is and what results we hope to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

This is just my opinion but I'm surprised by talk of the construction sector still not being allowed to reopen when it's expected the 5k rule will be relaxed and sports like golf and tennis may be allowed again.

I would have prioritised the return of the construction sector over those, simply because its peoples livelihoods. The gov supports are a lot less than than most would be earning when working so if they can't get back to working properly how are they going to continue to survive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Construction being closed still is one of the most time deaf actions I’ve seen to date in this country. It is downright shocking mismanagement. Construction being closed creates so many long term side effects for very limited benefit. It HAS to open on April 5th.

We have a severe issue with housing supply in this country, as everyone knows. The lockdown will result in 25% at least less houses completed this year. All the savings people have and the lessened supply is going to drive demand up more. You also have a two tier issue with those on the PUP etc losing out on income in the past 12 months struggling even more to afford housing.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that the policy of keeping construction closed was the result of Sinn Fein infiltrating the Government parties. I could not think of one policy more suitable for driving up Sinn Fein support

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Why can't the government grow a spine and stand over a concrete decision for once without awaiting instruction from single-issue NPHET. Fueling the money bonfire with slick suits isn't constructive.
    Oh I agree. I just have doubts about their ability to make or communicate a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

While that is encouraging I have to say it is very sad to see these people with those stupid masks on them. Like really? 5,000 people packed into a venue and then you make them wear these idiot things? I guess that rule was made by people who have never been at a concert that wasn't Bach in their lives.

So in a sense it is a positive development but at the same time it also shows how deep that rabbit hole we're in really is.
    Some countries don't have the deep pockets we have for supports. The likes of Spain and others need to get up and running this summer or they will be in big economic trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Every newspaper says something different all from "government sources".

Don't take any of them as gospel, no point in people getting themselves worked up over them.

It's almost as if they're leaking different scenarios to get a feel for public reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Klonker wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be argumentative here incase that's the way it's coming across. I'm just trying to understand the data. That Irish Examiner figures seems strange in many ways. The flip from no underlying conditions as a percentage from 36.7% at mid December to 73.1% at the end of January is highly improbable. As you said the vaccines couldn't have been making a noticeable difference by the end of January. So that only leave the new variant as the only difference. If the new variant was this much more dangerous we'd be hearing a lot more about it than unclear articles like this, NPHET would be sure to let us know fairly quickly to back it up.

The funny thing about the article is it say 'covid patients' but doesn't say covid hospitalisations. The journalist seems to be suggesting it's hospitalisation but they could be confused and getting it mixed il themselves. The other thing is how has the Irish Examiner gotten some kind of updated HSPC report that as far as any of us can see is not in the public domain.

I'd be highly suspect of the figures quoted in that article until I see the HSPC report it's based on.

I agree its definitely a very remarkable change. That said I don't think even Nphet are going to take just one such observed change into consideration by itself. I'd reckon that trend would need to be consistent from January onwards to be totally reliable.

But regard the new varient - I was reading up on rising cases in Italy and Poland and it has been observed that younger age groups are experiencing much higher levels of infection and hospitalisation - hence more with no underlying conditions. Is that as a result of the new varient or the impact of vaccinations or both? I think its nearly impossible to make that call atm.

I did a general search for the second report btw and they're are some other references to it. So It does exist - just not as published. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Read that Sunday Indo article. FFS.

"Tight Covid restrictions until May as virus surges"

"Ireland set to remain under tight public health restrictions throughtout April and much of May amid growing concerns about a fourth wave on the way"

Seems to be all about case numbers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

marno21 wrote: »
    Construction being closed still is one of the most time deaf actions I’ve seen to date in this country. It is downright shocking mismanagement. Construction being closed creates so many long term side effects for very limited benefit. It HAS to open on April 5th.

We have a severe issue with housing supply in this country, as everyone knows. The lockdown will result in 25% at least less houses completed this year. All the savings people have and the lessened supply is going to drive demand up more. You also have a two tier issue with those on the PUP etc losing out on income in the past 12 months struggling even more to afford housing.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that the policy of keeping construction closed was the result of Sinn Fein infiltrating the Government parties. I could not think of one policy more suitable for driving up Sinn Fein support

Yeah it's unreal that they're even contemplating keeping construction closed any further

Just storing up issues in society for very little gain

It's the perfect scenario for Sinn Fein alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

"Ireland set to remain under tight public health restrictions throughtout April and much of May amid growing concerns about a fourth wave on the way"

Surges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

case numbers is what its always been about...its all we have to go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

oceanman wrote: »
    case numbers is what its always been about...its all we have to go on.

When case numbers were low and we still had penal restrictions we were told it was about hospital /ICU admissions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

km79 wrote: »
    When case numbers were low and we still had penal restrictions we were told it was about hospital /ICU admissions ?

Case numbers are a prediction of future hospital and Icu numbers. It takes a while to translate but if you wait for hospital numbers to go up its like being in a fight and wait til you are after being punched to start a block.

Its all about hospital and Icu capacity and numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

km79 wrote: »
    One may lead to the other and therefore increase pressure on the health system. Hospital numbers for now are going the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

What surge? They've been banging on for a few weeks now about a "surge" but it sure doesn't look like a surge....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some countries don't have the deep pockets we have for supports. The likes of Spain and others need to get up and running this summer or they will be in big economic trouble.

Yeah . Italy very much the same. That's why they have been opening and closing . I wonder what our cut off will be . The emergency well from the budget must be going dry soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Jimi H wrote: »
    I was never a fan of special advisors but I think this government really needs some help with communicating. I just wish they came out and told us where we are, what the plan is and what results we hope to achieve.

The gov had 48 special advisors as of Jan. The below taking from a Journal article lists the media ones.

'The list of advisers includes numerous former journalists including Fiach Kelly, Paul Melia and Susan Mitchell who all earn €101,114 each.

Other advisers who previously worked as journalists are Sarah Bardon, Niall O’Connor and Colette Sexton, who all have an annual salary of €94,487'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Still no acknowledgement either that this is a regional issue.

Level 5 is working in some counties, look at Monaghan, they’re near the bottom now after so long at the top. Another mention by me for Cork which is very lively atm but persistently at the bottom of the table.

For some reason Level 5 is working as intended in some counties but not in others, but this fact is being completely ignored in favour of driving the country off a cliff.

marno21 wrote: »

.....not to mention the fact that we are hemorrhaging construction workers to the UK and Northern Ireland, most will not come back!! So we are decimating our Construction sector for years to come ! Why are the Government not able to see this? Why are we the only country with construction closed? Why are journalists and Miriam O Callaghan/Matt Cooper/Claire Byrne not asking these hard questions until they get an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

.....not to mention the fact that we are hemorrhaging construction workers to the UK and Northern Ireland, most will not come back!! So we are decimating our Construction sector for years to come ! Why are the Government not able to see this? Why are we the only country with construction closed? Why are journalists and Miriam O Callaghan/Matt Cooper/Claire Byrne not asking these hard questions until they get an answer?

Don't worry, they will soon forget this when there is no social housing and the sons/daughters of RTE cannot get on the property ladder and will need to emigrate for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ah sure those things don't matter

All that matters is COVID and opening construction might increase cases and NPHET won't allow the increased movement

It's mad that the government don't have construction as a priority

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement