Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just been to a local park , ordinary people are far more intelligent then the Government .People out with kids on blankets distanced from others .Nana and Granda on a bench three metres away watching the kids play .A queue for ice cream with 2 metres between families and then families sitting on logs in the grass well apart from each other . This should be encouraged and praised and not telling us to do more.
    Outdoors should be encouraged , money spent on benches in park , grants for cafe to get awnings and serve outdoors .But no, they throw €350 at the staff weekly instead of finding way to encourage them back to work and outdoor seating .

Erm not being smart but all those things are currently allowed atm.

Its a means to stop the spread of covid by reducing large-scale population movements between areas.

And nothing stopping people get outdoors if they wish to do so.

I really think some people think the 5km thing means staying in the house - it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Like that reply means anything either, in that context!

Why would you be bothered replying to a post of that quality, a few thanks? Beats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

noserider wrote: »
    So there is reports of 5k being extended to 10 or 15k for exercise.
    What good is that to someone living in the countryside, what a joke

It'll be great for me. As it stands I'm "trapped" on Cobh island, an extension even to 10km would give me so many more places to go and so much more to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

noserider wrote: »
    So there is reports of 5k being extended to 10 or 15k for exercise.
    What good is that to someone living in the countryside, what a joke

Most people in the countryside are ignoring the 5km rule. Very easy do.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

gozunda wrote: »

I really think some people think the 5km thing means staying in the house - it doesn't.

Can't blame em.
    Turn on your TV and stay at home showing constantly in the top corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just been to a local park , ordinary people are far more intelligent then the Government .People out with kids on blankets distanced from others .Nana and Granda on a bench three metres away watching the kids play .A queue for ice cream with 2 metres between families and then families sitting on logs in the grass well apart from each other . This should be encouraged and praised and not telling us to do more.
    Outdoors should be encouraged , money spent on benches in park , grants for cafe to get awnings and serve outdoors .But no, they throw €350 at the staff weekly instead of finding way to encourage them back to work and outdoor seating .

I’ve been banging this drum for weeks when I meet people out n about. We’re all WELL aware of what needs to continue to be done with regards to social distancing, mask wearing and hygiene.

The ridiculous 5km ‘rule’ seems to be tied to some legislation BS regarding the evictions of those not paying rent / mortgages.

And the COWARDS running the country are too terrified to lift it as a result.

I’m furious the past few days. Looking at crowded off-licences, shops, outdoor markets... and I can’t take a drive to the beach without the hassle of checkpoints and fines? Utter nonsense...

I live in the countryside and I can say that in my experience that the absolute majority are not taking the piss and are exercising within 5 km.

And that doesnt stop anyone travelling for essential purposes for shopping etc

The whole aim of the exercise limit is simply to help keep the rate of infection down

its not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Its a means to stop the spread of covid by reducing large-scale population movements between areas.

No, they’re not. You’re only allowed to leave your home for essential reasons and exercise only. Sitting in the park is not deemed essential and the guards have the power to move you on.

No, they’re not. You’re only allowed to leave your home for essential reasons and exercise only. Sitting in the park is not deemed essential and the guards have the power to move you on.

If you go to the park for exercise and sit down - absolutely no one is going to move you on where social distancing etc is being observed.

The only ones who will possibly attract any attention are large crowds drinking together or generally taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I have to completely disagree with that. It's very obvious here that people are staying within their 5km. Locals are walking the roads here instead of going further for their exercise. So much so that the roads have more families using them for walk than every before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Today! lucky you ,terrible weather where i am heavy wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

thebiglad wrote: »
    Died with Covid-19, not FROM Covid-19.

Mod

Threadbanned.
    F*ck sake
    Really? Must we have this rubbish spouted endlessly?
    Do those suffering from long Covid console themselves that they dont have it FROM Covid, but from having been WITH Covid ?
    And must we have posters who'll endlessly reply to obvious rubbish.
    Like that reply means anything either, in that context!
    Why would you be bothered replying to a post of that quality, a few thanks? Beats me.

Mod

Every single poster here. Report posts you have an issue with. Dont comment on them. Needlessly dragging the thread off topic, and then arguing about arguing about it. Come on lads, ye know the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

If you go to the park for exercise and sit down - absolutely no one is going to move you on where social distancing etc is being observed.

The only ones who will possibly attract any attention are large crowds drinking together or generally taking the piss.

First lockdown was sitting in the park by myself with no one around me. There was guards walking around moving on anyone - single individuals or small families - if they were just sitting down and not doing exercise. Unless I’m mistaken, the rules are still the same, so it’s either allowed or it’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Its not supposed to be happening. The 5km is only for exercise. We are currently instructed to stay at home. Few are following it but its not allowed under current rules.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have to completely disagree with that. It's very obvious here that people are staying within their 5km. Locals are walking the roads here instead of going further for their exercise. So much so that the roads have more families using them for walk than every before.

People are obeying the 5km for safe, non risky stuff like walking which is public facing, but breaching the 5km for risky, virus spreading activities such as meeting people indoors.

They should scrap the 5km and place lots of emphasis on meeting outdoors and doing outdoor activities. Much safer and once it’s encouraged I won’t be hearing about people on Neil Prendeville.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I live in the countryside and I can say that in my experience that the absolute majority are not taking the piss and are exercising within 5 km.

And that doesnt stop anyone travelling for essential purposes for shopping etc

The whole aim of the exercise limit is simply to help keep the rate of infection down

its not rocket science

I live in the countryside and my experience is the exact opposite. In the first lockdown the road was busy with walkers, joggers and cyclists. Now it’s back to being totally empty again, even on sunny days. Car traffic is back to near normal levels, no-one is bothered with counting kilometres anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

First lockdown was sitting in the park by myself with no one around me. There was guards walking around moving on anyone - single individuals or small families - if they were just sitting down and not doing exercise. Unless I’m mistaken, the rules are still the same, so it’s either allowed or it’s not.

Same happened to me in lockdown #1. It was a weekday morning, I had lost my job and it was a nice day so I decided to bring my kindle and a flask of coffee to the nearest park to read on a bench and pass a few hours.
    Was promptly told to move on or go home if I wasn’t exercising.
    Shortly afterwards they taped over the benches to stop people from sitting down on them for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

marno21 wrote: »
    People are obeying the 5km for safe, non risky stuff like walking which is public facing, but breaching the 5km for risky, virus spreading activities such as meeting people indoors.

In the context of the assertion that it is being done wholesale in rural areas, I can only attest for around here, that is simply not happening.

I can't find a single report online of anyone being moved or fined whilst sitting in a park as part of exercising within a 5km radius

People exercise and people get tired. Older people or those who are disabled may also need to sit down. Ditto children. As long as social distancing is being observed as you yourself described today - there should be no problem.

I could understand on occasion when everyone is on top of each other. And I do reckon parks and other facilities may at times need some management to sometimes help control and spread out numbers.

And that seems to be the only cases Ive came across where gardai sedm to have asked people to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Are you telling people to disobey restrictions so?
    So its ok for me to go to the park and sit under a tree and read a book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I can't find a single report online of anyone being moved or fined whilst sitting in a park as part of exercising within a 5km radius

People exercise and people get tired. Older people or those who are disabled may also need to sit down. Ditto children. As long as social distancing is being observed as you yourself described today - there should be no problem.

I could understand on occasion when everyone is on top of each other. And I do reckon parks and other facilities may at times need some management to sometimes help control and spread out numbers.

Discretion is being used but the fact is such sitting down is not allowed and the guards have every right to move people on or fine them if they like.

This rule should be changed. Ambiguous rules dependent on the mood of each individual guard just leads to stress and frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Not all fines or times people are moved in are reported. The posters have stated they were moved on whilst seated. If you are allow sit down why have seats and benches been removed or taped over.

As for your last paragraph this is what happens when you forced people in Dublin city to stay within 5km. The local parks get jammed. As a number of posters keep stating it's a nonsense keeping us within 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116425697&postcount=6052

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭hynesie08

User142 wrote: »

Noone was fined or moved on though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I think most people and business's are ignoring the rules now rightly or wrongly, Wednesday i was delivering some shop shelfing to a toy shop ( my boss said that's essential), anyway got there knocked on door they let me in , 3 staff working, had to leave door open for me to unload in mean time customer comes to door and walks in, "we are closed, what do you want ?, need a doll for a 6 year girl, ok wait by the door , serves the customer, this happen 3 times while in there, half way through unloading going back out to van , the van is parked right outside shop which would seem open too anyone looking at it, see a guard waiting at back door of my van, immediately though he would ask me is what you doing essential and ask about shop being open, no he said cant park here you will have to move, no mention of shop open or me delivery shelfing as i see as not essential, i think its much the same everywhere people who think it isn't are being naïve.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Are you telling people to disobey restrictions so?
    So its ok for me to go to the park and sit under a tree and read a book?

Did I tell you to do anything? In the context of the discussion exercising and sitting in the park were being discussed. Nothing stopping you walking in the park and listening to an audio book as an option. And I'm sure if you get tired no one will stop you sitting down anywhere as long as restrictions are being observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Did I tell you to do anything? In the context of the discussion exercising and sitting in the park were being discussed. Nothing stopping you walking in the park and listening to an audio book as an option. And I'm sure if you get tired no one will stop you sitting down anywhere as long as restrictions are being observed.

I asked a question. In your opinion, Is it ok for me to sit under a tree in the park and read a paperback book or not?
    Yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

You are not allowed sit and listen to an audio book or read a book. That's not exercise.
    The 5km is for exercise only as you have pointed out on numerous occasions.

RGS wrote: »
    Not all fines or times people are moved in are reported. The posters have stated they were moved on whilst seated. If you are allow sit down why have seats and benches been removed or taped over.

As for your last paragraph this is what happens when you forced people in Dublin city to stay within 5km. The local parks get jammed. As a number of posters keep stating it's a nonsense keeping us within 5km.

Whole bunch of media reports in the UK of park benches being tapped up and etc. In the UK the stay at home and only exercise locally seems to have even more strictly enforced

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-clapham-common-park-benches-taped-off-by-council-11971641

Not one recoded by the media here. Can't see them passing up a sensationalised opportunity like that tbf

And as for parks getting jammed. That's why parks etc require some management rather than everyone piling in together and at the same times

The risk is that the exact same thing will happen when restrictions are removed except everyone from multiple counties will all be Pilling into the same few beaches and beauty spots and all stopping for refreshments and using the same toilets.

The 5km rule doesn't stop people going out for exercise as long as social distancing is observed. What it does do is stop people from all different areas mixing and mingling in large numbers and increasing the rate of infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

The 5km rule doesn't stop people going out for exercise as long as social distancing is observed. What it does do is stop people from all different areas mixing and mingling in large numbers and increasing the rate of infection.

Such mingling outdoors is low risk unless symptomatic people are literally coughing into people’s faces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement