Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

gozunda wrote: »
    What newspaper was that in?

Where did I say it was in a newspaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Almost 800,000 people living between Cork and Kerry. Less than 25 cases again today, the virus is practically non existent here. Open it up now, let us open our businesses and get our communities living again.

Lock down Dublin, sick of it at this stage. It's farcical

You open up and an army of Dubalin jerseys will invade the pubs and hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This week compared to last 128 more cases and worth nothing from over 20,000 extra tests.

81 reported deaths this week 45 of them occurred in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You open up and an army of Dubalin jerseys will invade the pubs and hotels

Don't open those then. Can still open hairdressers and click and collect and not have Dubs come down for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

titan18 wrote: »
    Don't open those then. Can still open hairdressers and click and collect and not have Dubs come down for that.

100% agree it’s now time for them look at this regionally, get other parts of the country up and running depending on disease spread.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Surely they could open non essential retail and hairdressers in say Cork/Kerry for example,monitor figures and see if there is any significant rise in numbers there and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

prunudo wrote: »
    Have you not just answered your own question?

Whats the science behind it ? does the virus only live at the back of the nose in adults and at the front of the nose in children?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Halting sites, meat factories, direct provision centres, the usual suspects.

Source?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Surely they could open non essential retail and hairdressers in say Cork/Kerry for example,monitor figures and see if there is any significant rise in numbers there and take it from there

Definitely think there's a case for this. There is a risk of people travelling ridiculous distances to get a hair cut or buy something. However, I think they should at least try it and then perhaps have guards patrol the obvious county entry points.

They could open them everywhere, everybody is getting the hair done, no point pretending otherwise but the covideers will never admit it.

Even if a salon had 2 metres between chairs and a max. of say 5 chairs, it is safer than a load of lads going to a house when the travelling barber is there for the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The next 2 weeks are crucial.

That aged well.............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Turtwig wrote: »
    Definitely think there's a case for this. There is a risk of people travelling ridiculous distances to get a hair cut or buy something. However, I think they should at least try it and then perhaps have guards patrol the obvious county entry points.

In fairness, given we can’t lock down a fcuking hotel in this county, there isn’t a hope that ‘open’ counties wouldn’t be mobbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What public conveniences do you refer to? Toilets? All closed. Non essential shops? all closed. As for your theory on refreshments we may as well shut supermarkets then. The 5k rule is a joke and everyone knows it except the idiots we have running the show.

All public toilets are closed really? The park in my local Town has public toilets which are still open. Afaik some places installed temporary toilets after cafes and restaurants closed last year. Perhaps I should tell them?

But yes any - anywhere where crowds of people travelling for recreation purposes tend to congregate . Whether that's motorway service stations, pumps and places for takeaway food and refreshments. And no supermarkets are not in that category as they are essential and are generally managed well.

We're talking large crowds - not from the local areas but from multiple counties whose all decamp to one or more popular beauty spots or wherever. Where there's maybe just one block of toilets, chip van and everyone from all over mixing, mingling and generally not engaging with social distancing guidelines

Tbf - the main ones I find who have issues with exercising within 5km seem to be those who dont believe that covid is a real problem or at least dont seem to understand the seriousness of the issues.

Tell me this - if the stay at home/ stay local restrictions (what the 5km are ) are a "joke" then why have so many countries used these type of restrictions and continue to use them as part of managing the rate of covid infection?

Perhaps all of them are simply "idiots ... running the show"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hospital numbers should be below 300 by tomorrow night / Tuesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

This week compared to last 128 more cases and worth nothing from over 20,000 extra tests.

81 reported deaths this week 45 of them occurred in March.

Yep a “surge” alright

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Whats the science behind it ? does the virus only live at the back of the nose in adults and at the front of the nose in children?

Apparently the swab is too traumatic for the little ones.

There's a paper a friend of mine showed me ages ago about nasal swabs in children. It was written about flu swabs back about 10 years ago. Apparently some children don't have the reflex control adults are expected to have and are prone to jerking movments in response to the swab which can be a bad thing if the swab is deep in the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Hospital numbers should be below 300 by tomorrow night / Tuesday morning

That would be a positive. One would expect that admissions will decrease even if cases stay around the same levels.

All public toilets are closed really? The park in my local Town has public toilets which are still open. Afaik some places installed temporary toilets after cafes and restaurants closed last year. Perhaps I should tell them?

But yes any - anywhere where crowds of people travelling for recreation purposes tend to congregate . Whether that's motorway service stations, pumps and places for takeaway food and refreshments. And no supermarkets are not in that category as they are essential and are generally managed well.

We're talking large crowds - not from the local areas but from multiple counties whose all decamp to one or more popular beauty spots or wherever. Where there's maybe just one block of toilets, chip van and everyone from all over mixing, mingling and generally not engaging with social distancing guidelines

Tbf - the main ones I find who have issues with exercising within 5km seem to be those who dont believe that covid is a real problem or at least dont seem to understand the seriousness of the issues.

Tell me this - if the stay at home/ stay local restrictions (what the 5km are ) are a "joke" then why have so many countries used these type of restrictions and continue to use them as part of managing the rate of covid infection?

Perhaps all of them are simply "idiots ... running the show"?

From June 29th until after Christmas we got on fine with a mixture of own county and full nationwide travel.

I don't think anybody had an issue with the 5K when we had 8000 cases a day, but now it down to about 600 a day it is a joke that such a rule is still in place.

Measures in place need to be proportionate to the level of infection, otherwise people tune out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Now let me ask a question- do you really believe that "literally coughing into people’s faces" is the sole means that covid spreads?

In an outdoor setting that is the the only significant chance of getting infected. Covid spreads indoors when lots of people mix in a small area without wearing masks. Other ways of virus spread are not significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Five day moving average of cases now 620 (573 yesterday)

5 days average always goes up on Sunday. The best part of the week falls off and is replaced by the highest.

7 day is the only one that works with the way we report here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

From June 29th until after Christmas we got on fine with a mixture of own county and full nationwide travel.

I don't think anybody had an issue with the 5K when we had 8000 cases a day, but now it down to about 600 a day it is a joke that such a rule is still in place.

Measures in place need to be proportionate to the level of infection, otherwise people tune out.

The question is is 600 an acceptable level of infection. I fear any real reopening will see 2000 cases in a couple fof weeks.

600 is the level that we could reopen but I feel we would be closing very quickly afterwards.

I've long felt 50 Icu cases is a place to consider reopening but we aren't far from there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

The question is is 600 an acceptable level of infection. I fear any real reopening will see 2000 cases in a couple fof weeks.

600 is the level that we could reopen but I feel we would be closing very quickly afterwards.
    The level of infection is not at those levels in the vast majority of the country but the restrictions are is the point being made I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

jhegarty wrote: »
    5 days average always goes up on Sunday. The best part of the week falls off and is replaced by the highest.

7 day is the only one that works with the way we report here.

Yes 7 and 14 day averages are the best data on case loads and to keep an eye on testing to compare on contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1376228173457846277

With 320,000 deaths Mexico overtakes Brazil , pretty unbelievable number for a country with only a population of 120 million. Excess deaths are estimated at over 417,000 as well - 70% thought to be COVID related

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For a national reopening I agree. 600 is too high and vaccination isn't yet sufficient to really accommodate for higher case numbers. In time vaccination will reduce the emphasis on case numbers. We're a long way from that point yet.

I would like a trial though at picking at least one region or area with very low incidence and giving that some extra leeway. It may backfire but I think there's a case to be made for at least trying it. As opposed to doing something silly on a national scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

For a national reopening I agree. 600 is too high and vaccination isn't yet sufficient to really accommodate for higher case numbers. In time vaccination will reduce the emphasis on case numbers. We're a long way from that point yet.

I would like a trial though at picking at least one region or area with very low incidence and giving that some extra leeway. It may backfire but I think there's a case to be made for at least trying it. As opposed to doing something silly on a national scale.

Guards would want to form a border if that ever happens

I've long felt 50 Icu cases is a place to consider reopening but we aren't far from there either.

We need to factor in that 15% of adults are now vaccinated to some degree, many being the elderly, vulnerable and healthcare sectors. The expectation is that this will ramp up rapidly from here.

I'd suggest another 15% have built up some herd immunity having been infected already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Reopening to me would be level 3 or lower. Small easing of the restrictions is what is expected from the government next week leaving us with strict restrictions up to at least mid May.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

A regional opening of certain retail is a good idea but as USUAL NPHET have set their face against. The appear unable to look beyond full lockdown. They havent even approved antigen testing yet.

• Advertisement

Good article here in the Evening Echo in Cork on the need for a regional opening strategy:

https://www.echolive.ie/corkviews/arid-40252787.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement