Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Turtwig wrote: »
    There is actually little published evidence either way to quantify the risk of outdoors transmissions. (Least that I'm aware of.) It's an assumption that these large protests events didn't contribute to spread. Both countries have such inadequate tracing and surveillance systems that we can't really tell if they did or not.

I'm assuming they didn't. That's not evidence though that's just an assumption.

Oh come on. Don’t you think that there would have been attempts to link any outbreak to the protests by NPHET, cheered on by RTÉ who’d be looking for that news? The fact that over numerous protest across the UK and Ireland (some of them pretty excitable and loud and without mast wearing) there was zero reporting of spreading is pretty telling

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

gozunda wrote: »
    Its not rocket science btw. The stay at home / exercise locally idea wbich has been used in many countries including the UK is that travel is kept to a minimum to keep the rate of infection down right across the country. Its a simple one and it works.

It doesn’t work.

The only thing that works is minimising people mixing in large groups indoors without wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

What other types of toilets would I be referring to and available in an outdoor setting? And I was asked for examples of the type of things people in crowds congregate at. No idea why you're losing the plot over that. They're simply examples.

But again were not talking about the situation now. Were looking at when restrictions are rolled back. And no thats not "my theory". I reckon you're not reading the comments at all.

Of interest you appear to consider all those "running the show" "idiot's" perhaps a good idea to offer your services so that they may become wiser?

And yes I live in rural Ireland and the absolute majority of people here are observing the 5km rule for exercise in my experience.

Its not rocket science btw. The stay at home / exercise locally idea wbich has been used in many countries including the UK is that travel is kept to a minimum to keep the rate of infection down right across the country. Its a simple one and it works.

Exactly. People completely missing the point on the distance restriction. Its about removing the range of things for people to do, with one handy, simply rule. Folks whittering on about there is nothing risky about driving 100km to go for a walk alone on a windy beach, are not understanding the purpose of the exercise travel limit. Which is why the 2km limit has merit too.

The bottom line is numbers have to be driven down. This will not happen with the current restrictions. If schools open after Easter as planned, golf, tennis and construction open, that can only put upward pressure on cases over the next couple of months until the vaccine effect really delivers. And so they must be contained, by at the very least, keeping all other restrictions in place, or introducing new ones. There is no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jackboy wrote: »
    It doesn’t work.*

The only thing that works is minimising people mixing in large groups indoors without wear masks.

Source for that please*

The final bit - if " the only thing that works is mixing in large groups indoors without wear masks" then why are our case numbers still high?

• Advertisement

The loss of a sense of proportionality by so many in this country is truly staggering. That there is such a pushback against normalising outdoor activity when hospitalisations are low and falling (with a template on our neighbouring island which shows what happens as vaccinations go up) is very sad and shows how these restrictions have become normalised and comfortable to so many

Source for that please*

The final bit - if " the only thing that works is mixing in large groups indoors without wear masks" then why are our case numbers still high?

House parties, schools, meat plants etc. This is known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

What other types of toilets would I be referring to and available in an outdoor setting? And I was asked for examples of the type of things people in crowds congregate at. No idea why you're losing the plot over that. They're simply examples.

But again were not talking about the situation now. Were looking at when restrictions are rolled back. And no thats not "my theory". I reckon you're not reading the comments at all.

Of interest you appear to consider all those "running the show" "idiot's" perhaps a good idea to offer your services so that they may become wiser?

And yes I live in rural Ireland and the absolute majority of people here are observing the 5km rule for exercise in my experience.

The uk is 60 miliion people ffs so compare like with like. I also live rurally and no one in my area are running or walking the roads we all travel to the local town about 10k away and use footpaths because we are more afraid of been mowed down on the road then covid.
    Also why don't you address the large crowd gathering in phoenix Park etc because of the 5k?

also this government performance in handling this pandemic has been an utter shambles from start to finish so forgive me for calling them what they are! airports, golf gate, vaccines, masks, antigen testing, schools

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Do people still believe the propaganda about an epidemic of house parties causing cases?

The loss of a sense of proportionality by so many in this country is truly staggering. That there is such a pushback against normalising outdoor activity when hospitalisations are low and falling (with a template on our neighbouring island which shows what happens as vaccinations go up) is very sad and shows how these restrictions have become normalised and comfortable to so many

You appear to be using the word "normal" as a verb and / or an adjective :pac:

If by "normalising" you mean rolling back stay at home/ exercise locally restrictions - then yes that will happen in time. At present we have a rising r rate which has increased over the last month and is now at 1.3. And which has been blamed on the higher transmissibility of the UK varient. We also have case numbers which although having fallen significantly since January remain higher than most of last December.

But no I don't think people like these restrictions and are not 'normalised' to them. People are simply accepting them at present as another tool in helping keeping down the rate of infection

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Do people still believe the propaganda about an epidemic of house parties causing cases?

House parties and some pub piss ups were the main driver of the Christmas spike. That is not propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Exactly. People completely missing the point on the distance restriction. Its about removing the range of things for people to do, with one handy, simply rule. Folks whittering on about there is nothing risky about driving 100km to go for a walk alone on a windy beach, are not understanding the purpose of the exercise travel limit. Which is why the 2km limit has merit too.

The bottom line is numbers have to be driven down. This will not happen with the current restrictions. If schools open after Easter as planned, golf, tennis and construction open, that can only put upward pressure on cases over the next couple of months until the vaccine effect really delivers. And so they must be contained, by at the very least, keeping all other restrictions in place, or introducing new ones. There is no other option.

As I said before northern Ireland will see us have the 5k gone and tennis golf back thank God. Looking forward to going to another county for a game of golf then on to another one for a game of tennis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭bloopy

Yes. Yes they do.

And every day RTE will find a new enemy to foam at the mouth at. And it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well according to George Lee the other night it was spreading in pubs and restaurants ! They same ones that are closed for months

House parties and some pub piss ups were the main driver of the Christmas spike. That is not propaganda.

Ah I see the propaganda works on some people. Why are you still going on about Christmas?

Ah I see the propaganda works on some people. Why are you still going on about Christmas?

Was there not a spike at Christmas, maybe i imagined it.

Was there not a spike at Christmas, maybe i imagined it.

And what relevance does that have to the situation 3 months later?

And what relevance does that have to the situation 3 months later?

Eh, lots of relevance, obviously.

You appear to be using the word "normal" as a verb and / or an adjective :pac:

If by "normalising" you mean rolling back stay at home/ exercise locally restrictions - then yes that will happen in time. At present we have a rising r rate which has increased over the last month and is now at 1.3. And which has been blamed on the higher transmissibility of the UK varient. We also have case numbers which although having fallen significantly since January remain higher than most of last December.

But no I don't think people like these restrictions and are not 'normalised' to them. People are simply accepting them at present as another tool in helping keeping down the rate of infection

Ah yes, the UK variant.....that old chestnut. how is it going across actually IN the UK?

And yes, I think many people, including many here, have become so comfortable with the restrictions that they have lost the sense of proportionality of the restrictions v the risk and impact. And as it becomes harder and harder to justify the restrictions, then the response is just to shout louder and try to exaggerate the risk

You yourself exaggerate the supposed policing of the UK lockdown and stay local rules (there is no policing) to try to justify the Irish 5km position.

I’m not actually that fussed. Just want to join those hear who are calling out the NPHET and RTÉ nonsense, and those so fixated on case rates that they can’t see the bigger picture. I came to Spain where having a grand old time, and will be heading to the UK soon for my jab before heading back home to Ireland at some stage. My dual citizenship does make this all a little easier

Nope that doesn't make any sense.

It was stated that the "stay at home / exercise locally idea which has been used in many countries ...is that travel is kept to a minimum to keep the rate of infection down right across the country. Its a simple one and it works."

You said it didn't work and I asked for source for that and your reply is that

"House parties, schools, meat plants etc. This is known"

Eh?

• Advertisement

Nope that doesn't make any sense.

It was stated that the "stay at home / exercise locally idea which has been used in many countries ...is that travel is kept to a minimum to keep the rate of infection down right across the country. Its a simple one and it works."

You said it didn't work and I asked for source for that and your reply is that

"House parties, schools, meat plants etc. This is known"

Eh?

It doesn’t make any sense because that is not what I replied to. You were asking why are case numbers still high.

Level 5 does not exist.

Walking through Dublin earlier, what we are seeing is that people are living as if it were Lv. 3 or 4. - they do not "buy into" the Lv. 5 level of seriousness that NPHET are demanding.

And given this situation, it would be literally mad for NPHET to recommend a continuation of Lv 5. given that the population is not buying into it. Better they control a Lv. 3 or 4 than pretend a Lv. 5 actually exists in reality.

Ah yes, the UK variant.....that old chestnut. how is it going across actually IN the UK? And yes, I think many people, including many here, have become so comfortable with the restrictions that they have lost the sense of proportionality of the restrictions v the risk and impact. And as it becomes harder and harder to justify the restrictions, then the response is just to shout louder and try to exaggerate the risk. You yourself exaggerate the supposed policing of the UK lockdown and stay local rules (there is no policing) to try to justify the Irish 5km position.
    I’m not actually that fussed. Just want to join those hear who are calling out the NPHET and RTÉ nonsense, and those so fixated on case rates that they can’t see the bigger picture. I came to Spain where having a grand old time, and will be heading to the UK soon for my jab before heading back home to Ireland at some stage. My dual citizenship does make this all a little easier

"Old chestnut"??? Do you mean you don't believe there is a highly transmissible variant from the UK?

How are they getting on? Well they're vaccinating the heck out of their population after having one of the highest death rates in the World.

No one likes restrictions. They are necessary at present but once vaccinations are fully rolled out - they'll be rolled back.

You bizarrely say
    You yourself exaggerate the supposed policing of the UK lockdown and stay local rules (there is no policing) to try to justify the Irish 5km position.

Where so? And yes there is a UK stay at home and exercise restriction - thats a fact. Is it policed? Yes it is.

Walkers told by police to go home.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

And check out the video of the family being told to stay in their house in the UK this link

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-clapham-common-park-benches-taped-off-by-council-11971641

Yes we have a stay local - 5km exercise limit. And its fairly lightly policed tbh. That's it.

Great restrictions hopping btw - the ban on UK arrivals in Spain has extended its travel on six occasions up to now. Hope it works out for you. Will you quarantine when you go there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Level 5 does not exist.

Walking through Dublin earlier, what we are seeing is that people are living as if it were Lv. 3 or 4. - they do not "buy into" the Lv. 5 level of seriousness that NPHET are demanding.

And given this situation, it would be literally mad for NPHET to recommend a continuation of Lv 5. given that the population is not buying into it. Better they control a Lv. 3 or 4 than pretend a Lv. 5 actually exists in reality.

Agree , I always felt a properly enforced level 3 would probably have a greater effect than a half arsed level 5 and with a level 3 people would be more inclined to stick to it with a bit more freedom . People have no choice to stick to certain aspects of level 5 but very few people sticking to the 5k currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Level 5 does not exist.

Agreed, and if the "UK Variant" was as transmissible as people claim, the cases would be rampant by now.

"Old chestnut"??? Do you mean you don't believe there is a highly transmissible variant from the UK?

Is there though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Agreed, and if the "UK Variant" was as transmissible as people claim, the cases would be rampant by now.

It may have escaped your notice that after months of Level 5 we are nowhere near where we should have been with regard to new cases.

It doesn’t make any sense because that is not what I replied to. You were asking why are case numbers still high.

Erh ok. I did ask for a source for the claim that exercise local type restrictions don't work

But OK - do you have sources for both those statements?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It may have escaped your notice that after months of Level 5 we are nowhere near where we should have been with regard to new cases.

Why are you attributing that to the virus alone, and not simply the level of understandable non-compliance with long-term Lv. 5 restrictions - or perhaps a combination of both?

• Advertisement

8th January

And check out the video of the family being told to stay in their house in the UK this link

South Yorkshire Police have apologised after an officer told a family to leave their garden due to the lockdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement