Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It may have escaped your notice that after months of Level 5 we are nowhere near where we should have been with regard to new cases.

Why?

Because people have stopped following the rubbish rules.

We got cases of this "UK variant" down from 8000 a day pretty quick, but the government and NPHET were incapable of keeping people onside.

There are a few on here who are listening too much to Michael Martin "new variant" he never fails to mention it, its an excuse for things not going to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Why?

Because people have stopped following the rubbish rules.

We got cases of this "UK variant" down from 8000 a day pretty quick, but the government and NPHET were incapable of keeping people onside.

There are a few on here who are listening too much to Michael Martin "new variant" he never fails to mention it, its an excuse for things not going to plan.

Michael and the variants sounds like an 80s band!

gozunda wrote: »
    "Old chestnut"??? Do you mean you don't believe there is a highly transmissible variant from the UK?

How are they getting on? Well they're vaccinating the heck out of their population after having one of the highest death rates in the World.

No one likes restrictions. They are necessary at present but once vaccinations are fully rolled out - they'll be rolled back.

You bizarrely say

Where so? And yes there is a UK stay at home and exercise restriction - thats a fact. Is it policed? Yes it is.

Walkers told by police to go home.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

And check out the video of the family being told to stay in their house in the UK this link

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-clapham-common-park-benches-taped-off-by-council-11971641

Yes we have a stay local - 5km exercise limit. And its fairly lightly policed compared to the above. That's it.

Great restrictions hopping btw - the ban on UK arrivals in Spain has extended its travel on six occasions up to now. Hope it works out for you. Will you quarantine when you go there ;)

I’m in Spain now. Flew there from Ireland. About a month ago.

As for the UK variant, why don’t you go look at the UK numbers right now. In fact, for the last month. Increased transmissibility doesn’t seem to be hitting them that hard!

And as for your posting of a couple of links to show some supposed hard policing.....one is a YEAR old, and the police got in a ton of trouble for the other!! Can’t believe you actually posted them! I’ve spent most of lockdown, and since Xmas, between the UK and Ireland. I am telling you that there are no roadblocks in the UK like in Ireland. Policing of a supposed ‘stay at home’ order is nonexistent. You suggested the other day that benches are taped off.....that is just a fabrication! They were taped in lockdown one last year. Now everyone is out and about in groups, picnicking, drinking. Crowds of cyclists heading to the Surrey hills from London for long weekend morning bike rides. I have a house in SW London and have done this myself.

You are trying to portray some image of the UK to people on this forum that is completely false. I am not sure why, TBH. But needless to say, the restrictions in Ireland are far harsher, and more tightly policed, than in the Uk

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Michael and the variants sounds like an 80s band!

Or, Michael and the New Variants, as they became after an early acrimonious split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Its level 4 at best till everyone is vaccinated.

15% of people who catch covid in the age 20-44 age group need hospitalization in the USA
    20% in the 44-64 age group need hospitalization in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1122354/covid-19-us-hospital-rate-by-age/

No way our health service can cope with level 3 with the British variant.

Why are Irish hospitalisation stats much, much lower then?

Genuinely curious

• Advertisement

Halting sites, meat factories, direct provision centres, the usual suspects.

See also:

Schools

As for the UK variant, why don’t you go look at the UK numbers right now. In fact, for the last month. Increased transmissibility doesn’t seem to be hitting them that hard!

And as for your posting of a couple of links to show some supposed hard policing.....one is a YEAR old, and the police got in a ton of trouble for the other!! Can’t believe you actually posted them! I’ve spent most of lockdown, and since Xmas, between the UK and Ireland. I am telling you that there are no roadblocks in the UK like in Ireland. Policing of a supposed ‘stay at home’ order is nonexistent. You suggested the other day that benches are taped off.....that is just a fabrication! They were taped in lockdown one last year. Now everyone is out and about in groups, picnicking, drinking. Crowds of cyclists heading to the Surrey hills from London for long weekend morning bike rides. I have a house in SW London and have done this myself.

You are trying to portray some image of the UK to people on this forum that is completely false. I am not sure why, TBH. But needless to say, the restrictions in Ireland are far harsher, and more tightly policed, than in the Uk

There are no travel restrictions at all in Wales.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Why are Irish hospitalisation stats much, much lower then?

Genuinely curious

Would obesity be the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is there though?

Really? You believe the UK government made it all up?

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-uk-variant/

Or, Michael and the New Variants, as they became after an early acrimonious split.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There are no travel restrictions at all in Wales.

Only as of today. Wales went into lockdown on 20 December,

New cases: 604
    Denotified cases: 0
    Total cases: 234,541
    New deaths: 13
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,666

Of the 13 mortalaties reported today
    • 12 occurred in March
    • 1 under investigation
    • Median age: 77
    • Age range: 51-83
    Of the 604 cases notified today
    • Male: 299
    • Female: 298
    • Under 45 years old: 465 (77%)
    • Median age: 27
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Thursday 25th March
    • Total doses: 760,168 (+27,490)
    • First dose: 548,945 (+18,961)
    • Second: 211,223 (+8,529)

3,992 cases this week.

An increase of 128 cases compared to last week making it the second week of an increase in cases.

A list of previous weeks (Mon-Sun) for anyone interested:

A graph of weekly cases.

All information gathered on gov.ie from the Department of Health.
    • Week 53 - 15,759 (National Level 5: 30/12)
    • Week 01 (2021) - 45,770
    • Week 02 - 25,212
    • Week 03 - 14,877
    • Week 04 - 9,016
    • Week 05 - 7,170
    • Week 06 - 6,044
    • Week 07 - 5,564
    • Week 08 - 4,574
    • Week 09 - 3,660
    • Week 10 - 3,544
    • Week 11 - 3,864
    • Week 12 - 3,992 (This Week)

The UK is currently leading with its vaccination schedule. The UK varient already has run rampant there.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-uk-variant/

Maybe its that you think vaccinations there weren't effective?

I'm afraid but you didn't request time delimited media stories. There just the first two from a Google search. I'm sure if you look you can find more.

You don't believe there was no benches tapped down in the UK? On one hand you claim its a fabrication and then claimed it happened last year! It either happened or it didn't Or again are you suggesting because it did happen - its now somehow irrelevant?

Btw the last bit. That's your opinion. And it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

More on just how strict the UKs stay at home / exercise locally policy is. This from Jan 2021

https://www.heart.co.uk/news/coronavirus/lockdown-sit-park-benches-priti-patel/

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/07/covid-priti-patel-warns-people-sat-on-park-benches-will-be-moved-on-13864907/

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

New cases: 604
    Denotified cases: 0
    Total cases: 234,541
    New deaths: 13
    Denotified deaths: 0
    Total deaths: 4,666

Of the 13 mortalaties reported today
    • 12 occurred in March
    • 1 under investigation
    • Median age: 77
    • Age range: 51-83
    Of the 604 cases notified today
    • Male: 299
    • Female: 298
    • Under 45 years old: 465 (77%)
    • Median age: 27
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Thursday 25th March
    • Total doses: 760,168 (+27,490)
    • First dose: 548,945 (+18,961)
    • Second: 211,223 (+8,529)

3,992 cases this week.

An increase of 128 cases compared to last week making it the second week of an increase in cases.

A list of previous weeks (Mon-Sun) for anyone interested:

A graph of weekly cases.

All information gathered on gov.ie from the Department of Health.
    • Week 53 - 15,759 (National Level 5: 30/12)
    • Week 01 (2021) - 45,770
    • Week 02 - 25,212
    • Week 03 - 14,877
    • Week 04 - 9,016
    • Week 05 - 7,170
    • Week 06 - 6,044
    • Week 07 - 5,564
    • Week 08 - 4,574
    • Week 09 - 3,660
    • Week 10 - 3,544
    • Week 11 - 3,864
    • Week 12 - 3,992 (This Week)

A 3% increase from 20,000 extra tests (including walk in testing for the first time) in a week following St Patrick's Day and Mother's Day and two weeks after the schools went back. All while battling "New" strains that are far more transmissible

Seems like not a bad result to me.

Goes without saying that all the deaths are a tragedy but hopefully they are a thing of the past soon

The UK is currently leading with its vaccination schedule. The UK varient already has run rampant there.

Maybe its that you don't think vaccinations there weren't effective?

I'm afraid but you didn't request time delimited media stories. There just the first two from a Google search. I'm sure if you look you can find more.

You don't believe there was no benches tapped down in the UK? Or again are you suggesting because it did happen - its now irrelevant?

Again could you explain why you keep on having comparison of the lockdown rules in the UK with Ireland? A country of 60 million with a rural country of 4.5? compare apples with apples maybe? Norway, Denmark Iceland maybe? As far as I know none of them have this stupid 5k restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

A 3% increase from 20,000 extra tests (including walk in testing for the first time) in a week following St Patrick's Day and Mother's Day and two weeks after the schools went back. All while battling "New" strains that are far more transmissible

Seems like not a bad result to me.

Goes without saying that all the deaths are a tragedy but hopefully they are a thing of the past soon

I was just totting that up on the calculator, 3% increase, down from the 9% increase previously. That's a really good outcome. Well I mean it's good that it didn't grow by 9% again.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Have criticisms for or against the various restrictions is fine and reasonable. Suggesting the UK variant isn't more transmissible is on par with suggesting the vaccines impact fertility.

Criticise NPHET. Critise the government, whomever you like... For fcks sake don't enter delusion land claiming the UK variant isn't more transmissible. It is.

How sure can you be? It emerged at the worst possible point in the cycle, short days, cold weather, public apathy, Christmas gatherings, christmas dinner etc. etc.

If it never existed we may have been in the exact same position. Christmas was always going to be a **** show.

Again could you explain why you keep on having comparison of the lockdown rules in the UK with Ireland? A country of 60 million with a rural country of 4.5? compare apples with apples maybe? Norway, Denmark Iceland maybe? As far as I know none of them have this stupid 5k restrictions.

Where's Ireland mentioned in any of that comment? And its both Ireland and the UK both have a variation on these restrictions. It was also listed as an example of a country where such restrictions are in place. And is simply a statement of fact that they do have "stay at home / exercise locally" restrictions. And that they are being policed

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/07/covid-priti-patel-warns-people-sat-on-park-benches-will-be-moved-on-13864907/

Tbf if you do want to go down the comparison route- Norway, Denmark, Iceland ? Like Ireland? Erm I'd say there just as different as the UK to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

wow yes thats just occcurred we should have seen the paddys day jump in cases , it hasnt really happened , or mothers day as of yet either. hospitalisations are the ones to really watch though lets see if they go down tuesday when numbers for weekend come out. i think the deaths will start to dry up very soon too. the people out in the community now would want to be fairly unlucky to die from covid at this stage with so many vulnerable vaxxed.

Where's Ireland mentioned in any of that comment? And its both Ireland and the UK both have a variation on these restrictions. It was also listed as an example of a country where such restrictions are in place. And is simply a statement of fact that they do have "stay at home / exercise locally" restrictions. And that they are being policed

Tbf if you do want to go down the comparison route- Norway, Denmark, Iceland ? Like Ireland? Erm I'd say there just as different as the UK to be fair.

You keep linking to historical newspaper articles, early January.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    wow yes thats just occcurred we should have seen the paddys day jump in cases , it hasnt really happened , or mothers day as of yet either. hospitalisations are the ones to really watch though lets see if they go down tuesday when numbers for weekend come out. i think the deaths will start to dry up very soon too. the people out in the community now would want to be fairly unlucky to die from covid at this stage with so many vulnerable vaxxed.

NPHET are saying social mixing has increased a lot in recent weeks, yet this highly transmissible UK variant is making no inroads.

You keep linking to historical newspaper articles, early January.

January 2021 is historical? :D Has the UK government changed or Boris has been replaced or maybe a change in policy on the restrictions detailed in that article. If there has been Link please ;)

Btw I linked this one as well. Is it also "historical"?

NPHET are saying social mixing has increased a lot in recent weeks, yet this highly transmissible UK variant is making no inroads.

Maybe if we didn't have the UK variant we would be well under 600 cases per day?

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Maybe if we didn't have the UK variant we would be well under 600 cases per day?

We absolutely would be

January 2021 is historical? :D Has the UK government changed or Boris has been replaced or maybe a change in policy on the restrictions detailed in that article. If there has been Link please ;)

Btw I linked this one as well. Is it also "historical"?

You are claiming UK restrictions are being policed, then post links to several months ago, which is past tense.

Any links to police actions in relation to restrictions this past week?

We absolutely would be

How do you know?

We have loads of counties with very few cases anyway, even with this highly transmissible uk one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

And 600 cases now would be 300 or less this time last year going by the difference in testing.

How do you know?

We have loads of counties with very few cases anyway, even with this highly transmissible uk one.

I'm not basing this on randon variables in relation to different countries with different restrictions with different lockdowns and different ratio of the UK variant.
    I'm just comparing apples to apples, same country, same population, same lockdown (for the most part) same time of year. Only main difference is the UK variant.

And 600 cases now would be 300 or less this time last year going by the difference in testing.

And this time last year absolutely everything was closed and everybody stayed at home.

• Advertisement

I'm not basing this on randon variables in relation to different countries with different restrictions with different lockdowns and different ratio of the UK variant.
    I'm just comparing apples to apples, same country, same population, same lockdown (for the most part) same time of year. Only main difference is the UK variant.

Are you telling me the lockdown in Ireland today is exactly the same as 12 months ago?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement