Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

is_that_so wrote: »
    A walk-in in Blanchardstown turning up some high positivity rates of asymptomatic people.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/high-level-of-asymptomatic-covid-cases-in-dublin-hot-spot-a-worry-1.4522485

HSE planning on expanding walk in centres

Interesting figures

"The walk-in centres, which opened in four venues around Dublin and in Tullamore, Co Offaly last week, had carried out tests on over 7,500 with an average positivity rate of 3 per cent, with Tullamore and Grangegorman at 2 per cent, she said.

Of the asymptomatic people tested 41 per cent were in the 25-44 age group and there was a 5 per cent positivity rate in the 15-24 cohort."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hse-expecting-to-open-more-walk-in-covid-test-centres-1103171.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why is it "pathetic"? Should counties with low covid numbers have to suffer from the consequences of an influx from those with high numbers?

Unless theyre going to do regional restrictions and allow places like Cork, Kerry etc open up a little bit more, we already are suffering from the consequences of other counties. If they want to come down to Cork to do nothing, fine. Its only necessary if they allow us down here to open up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The above may be true . However the main reason is these countries dont have a magic money tree
    Ours is not magic either but we can afford money that is almost at negative rates and the economy is far more diverse than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A walk-in in Blanchardstown turning up some high positivity rates of asymptomatic people.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/high-level-of-asymptomatic-covid-cases-in-dublin-hot-spot-a-worry-1.4522485

We were there yesterday as my daughter with a very serious genetic disorder is a close contact. She is showing symptoms & I had to bring her to Clogran this morning. The adults implicated went to the walk in centre near the aquatic centre. Very impressed with them. I also have symptoms with an extremely bad skin reaction. Today when I was heading to Cloghran with my younger daughter, my older healthy daughter is suddenly very unwell.

The schools are absolutely not safe. We have done everything by the book meanwhile my neighbours are having hordes of Visitors!

A very worrying few weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Ours is not magic either but we can afford money that is almost at negative rates and the economy is far more diverse than others.

I do agree with that. Negative rates doesn't mean we dont make repayments though . The way its described by opposition parties makes it sound like it's free money

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Apparently these next set of restrictions for 6 weeks so taking us to mid to late May

Hospitality will need to be pushed beyond June Bank Holiday anyway

Couldn't be open for a bank holiday

Indo speculating on countrywide travel in May

Couldn't see that happening but would love for that to be true

Why not? Vaccinations will be well advanced by then

Past performance! NPHET never met a bank holiday weekend they didn't like!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Knine wrote: »
    We were there yesterday as my daughter with a very serious genetic disorder is a close contact. She is showing symptoms & I had to bring her to Clogran this morning. The adults implicated went to the walk in centre near the aquatic centre. Very impressed with them. I also have symptoms with an extremely bad skin reaction. Today when I was heading to Cloghran with my younger daughter, my older healthy daughter is suddenly very unwell.

The schools are absolutely not safe. We have done everything by the book meanwhile my neighbours are having hordes of Visitors!

A very worrying few weeks ahead.

Just to note if someone has symptoms you shouldn't be going to the walk in test centres, nor should close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Rosita wrote: »
    Scroll down to Cillian de Gascun's comment. Very surprised that anyone would need a source on this view at this stage. It's about as controversial as saying Paris is the capital of France. Can't imagine there's a day goes by without hearing it. Would be far more interested in sources for claims that everyone is ignoring restrictions.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/55ce1-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-monday-22-march/

So, this is what he said:

"The B117 variant, Ireland’s most dominant variant of COVID-19 accounts for more than 90% of our cases and is extremely transmissible. Public health advice aims to limit the opportunities this virus has to spread, and it should be noted that B117 does not need much opportunity to do so. The most effective way to stop the spread of this variant and all variants of COVID-19 is to limit your social contacts and follow public health advice."

So the original strain wasn't extremely transmissible, what was the need of the initial lockdown so?

Matt Hancock is on TV now, on about new varients, but never mentions this UK variant, its like the new virus we have here, doesn't exist over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Most of the money we borrow is seen as OK because of our debt to GDP ratio - problem is, our GDP is massively inflated due to our status as a tax haven, and because of multinationals offshoring assets in Ireland.

Modified GNI (GNI*) is seen as the most accurate measure of Irish production.
    2019 GNI* was 202bn. GDP at that time was 388bn.
    Debt to GDP (2019): ~59%
    Debt to GNI* (2019): ~121%

So dont for a second think that we can borrow grand, shur its only cheap money.
    Its cheap money until you have to pay it back.

• Advertisement

Well we've only had 8 days of intercounty travel since late October

They're only going to change 5km to 10km apparently and that's for 6 weeks to mid May

Big jump from 10km to intercounty in the same month and NPHET won't allow intercounty travel before the June Bank Holiday

Just to note if someone has symptoms you shouldn't be going to the walk in test centres, nor should close contacts.

They were fully aware of the situation! We are were not confirmed as a close contact until after we had been. Also due to the nature of a whole classroom of extremely high risk children involved, they wanted the testing done asap. So you cannot judge!

I was also told by a HSE member that they would have made an exception & also tested my symptomatic daughter if I has asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Knine wrote: »
    They were fully aware of the situation! We are were not confirmed as a close contact until after we had been. Also due to the nature of a whole classroom of extremely high risk children involved, they wanted the testing done asap. So you cannot judge!

I was also told by a HSE member that they would have made an exception & also tested my symptomatic daughter if I has asked!

Not judging so don't be jumping to conclusions there, simply pointing out the guidelines that were issued to the public a few days ago.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html

I havent seen one Garda checkpoint yet, are people really following Nphet advice when it comes to travel? Sure you can claim almost anything as essential anyhow, just say your off to. Woodies to purchase some essential repair equipment for the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Well we've only had 8 days of intercounty travel since late October

They're only going to change 5km to 10km apparently and that's for 6 weeks to mid May

Big jump from 10km to intercounty in the same month and NPHET won't allow intercounty travel before the June Bank Holiday

10K won't cut it with the public. I'd say most people travel 10K frequently anyway, if its schools, a hardware store, butchers etc.

5K to 10K is like giving a 1% pay rise and increasing VAT by 1% at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I havent seen one Garda checkpoint yet, are people really following Nphet advice when it comes to travel? Sure you can claim almost anything as essential anyhow, just say your off to. Woodies to purchase some essential repair equipment for the house!

I'm not paying any attention to NPHET "advice" I'm using my own judgment and doing what's right for my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

HSE planning on expanding walk in centres

Interesting figures

"The walk-in centres, which opened in four venues around Dublin and in Tullamore, Co Offaly last week, had carried out tests on over 7,500 with an average positivity rate of 3 per cent, with Tullamore and Grangegorman at 2 per cent, she said.

Of the asymptomatic people tested 41 per cent were in the 25-44 age group and there was a 5 per cent positivity rate in the 15-24 cohort."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hse-expecting-to-open-more-walk-in-covid-test-centres-1103171.html

Yeah, I'm really surprised by those numbers. I guess the sample is not 100% random, but it's probably as close as you can get short of picking and testing random people off the street.
    I do wonder if it means that the virus is a lot more present than the swab numbers would give when you consider asymptomatic people.

Not judging so don't be jumping to conclusions there, simply pointing out the guidelines that were issued to the public a few days ago.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/covid-19-walk-in-test-centres.html

Exactly! They are guidelines. The reality is often very different!

I was at Cloghran this morning! I was told it would have been better if the close contact was tested yesterday in Blanchardstown! Because her result will likely mean another 15 close contacts! All delayed as her result won't be available until tomorrow & the possible close contacts are all very high risk

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm really surprised by those numbers. I guess the sample is not 100% random, but it's probably as close as you can get short of picking and testing random people off the street.
    I do wonder if it means that the virus is a lot more present than the swab numbers would give when you consider asymptomatic people.

Someone on NPHET said last week that asymptomatics were up to 50% of the variant, think it was in the Indo

timmyntc wrote: »
    Most of the money we borrow is seen as OK because of our debt to GDP ratio - problem is, our GDP is massively inflated due to our status as a tax haven, and because of multinationals offshoring assets in Ireland.

Modified GNI (GNI*) is seen as the most accurate measure of Irish production.
    2019 GNI* was 202bn. GDP at that time was 388bn.
    Debt to GDP (2019): ~59%
    Debt to GNI* (2019): ~121%

So dont for a second think that we can borrow grand, shur its only cheap money.
    Its cheap money until you have to pay it back.
    Beyond offering a contrast to other countries, in how we are providing supports, really was not contemplating any of this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm not paying any attention to NPHET "advice" I'm using my own judgment and doing what's right for my family.

And maybe what you are doing is fine but if everyone uses their own judgement, we'll have numbers rising quickly again. Its pointless saying this anyway as people are ignoring advice and then wondering how they got Covid "I only went shopping, etc but had friends over for coffee)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Beyond offering a contrast to other countries, in how we are providing supports, really was not contemplating any of this at all.

We are the only country to close construction (and have to pay construction workers pandemic payments)
    We have kept hospitality, non essential retail closed longer than any other country. So not only do we lose tax take from these areas, but we have to pay income supports for them all also.

We do not have to do these things - its a unique scenario to Ireland having this much industry closed for this long. The justification seems to be that sure we can just borrow, be grand. The figures show a different story though - we cant afford to just borrow.

crossman47 wrote: »
    And maybe what you are doing is fine but if everyone uses their own judgement, we'll have numbers rising quickly again. Its pointless saying this anyway as people are ignoring advice and then wondering how they got Covid "I only went shopping, etc but had friends over for coffee)

We followed all advice including the schools are safe lies & now look at us!

Meanwhile the neighbours are having parties & meeting up in hordes!

10K won't cut it with the public. I'd say most people travel 10K frequently anyway, if its schools, a hardware store, butchers etc.

5K to 10K is like giving a 1% pay rise and increasing VAT by 1% at the same time.

The rationale for that was given in yesterday's Indo

"The prospect of people being able to travel around their home county, which some ministers have argued for, is thought to have diminished in recent days.

"Nphet will look at that and go 'what's the bare minimum necessary to give people a bit of hope and optimism while not really changing anything'. I think it could be 10km," a government source said."

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-tight-covid-restrictions-until-may-as-virus-surges-40247322.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

So, this is what he said:

"The B117 variant, Ireland’s most dominant variant of COVID-19 accounts for more than 90% of our cases and is extremely transmissible. Public health advice aims to limit the opportunities this virus has to spread, and it should be noted that B117 does not need much opportunity to do so. The most effective way to stop the spread of this variant and all variants of COVID-19 is to limit your social contacts and follow public health advice."

So the original strain wasn't extremely transmissible, what was the need of the initial lockdown so?

Matt Hancock is on TV now, on about new varients, but never mentions this UK variant, its like the new virus we have here, doesn't exist over there.

Because he is in the UK and they just call it covid as its the dominant strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

"The prospect of people being able to travel around their home county, which some ministers have argued for, is thought to have diminished in recent days.

"Nphet will look at that and go 'what's the bare minimum necessary to give people a bit of hope and optimism while not really changing anything'. I think it could be 10km," a government source said."

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-tight-covid-restrictions-until-may-as-virus-surges-40247322.html

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

This notion that NPHET are up on an eerie like Mordor with a cat-o-nine tales is really stupid at this stage. The Government is handing them the weapons they can use is it their fault that they are been given cluster bombs instead of cruise missiles.The strategy needs to change, Government decide on the strategy.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

People want hope, they want restrictions (but not for themselves), they want to return to normal but don't want another wave, they want to travel but not others to travel.

Sort that out.

Christ.
    Yeah, it's likely to be the case. Be grateful there is finally tacit recognition of issues around continued compliance and people's frustrations. Of more importance is what the overall structure of the rest of the plan is like.

• Advertisement

Christ.

I know

Always going to be the way though with our slow cautious approach

The bare minimum to placate people for the next six weeks

They know they have to change the 5km but it won't be a massive change

Funny the Covid plan has 5km or countywide travel so they're making their own plan redundant at the first opportunity again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement