Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really, testing to date is dependent on people seeking out tests. These centres may offer better data on the possible effect of asymptomatics on the spread of disease. Testing like this is not practical on a national scale.

It is in Britain, the rest of the EU and the wider western world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Contact tracing breaks down once the number of cases gets too high or the average number of close contacts is in double figures. As Reid commented you can't exponentially expand a system just because people are getting sick. What I would say is that these walk-ins look like an effort to add more tools and it's far better to identify cases than to rely on contact tracing.

In Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is in Britain, the rest of the EU and the wider western world.
    You want to throw up a link that claims to show this? Remember though, Britain, speed of vaccinations aside, is not a good example of how to deal with a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Exactly, it's impossible. There can be no roadmap, at least not one that people want to hear.

The reality is that by the time we get up to speed with the current vaccination program it will be largely rendered useless anyway, as the South African variant, which is currently spreading widely around mainland Europe, will have taken over as the dominant variant in Ireland also.

The current vaccinations only have a 10% to 30% success rate against the SA variant so are insufficient to tackle the autumn wave we're facing into. Everybody will need to be vaccinated again anyway because of it, we'll be starting over from scratch with vaccinations. It's unavoidable, and the government will know that, but probably don't want to depress people any further at the moment.

But the reality is that we're facing into another winter of lockdown and probably well into 2022 as well, so the best advice unfortunately is probably to just try to suck it up, stop worrying about irrelevancies like 10k or 20k travel limits and make the best of whatever you have because it is unlikely there will be any significant changes for the next year or more.

That is simply not true, one flawed trial in SA with the astrazeneca vaccine has been debunked, actually your entire post is the most childish attempt at trolling.

seamus wrote: »
    It's off-topic here, but we do know there is no link between stressful events/periods and cancer.

Cancer is the result of cumulative genetic damage/mutations, typically over decades, leading to runaway cell growth as the typical growth regulation systems have been damaged. Stressful situations do not cause cells to suddenly become cancerous.

Stress may exacerbate an existing cancer, but it doesn't prompt one to spontaneously start.

so how does a 4 year old get cancer especially if its not genetic?

I'm not saying in this specific case it was triggered by stress but there are various reasons cancer develops. Its not always "cumulative genetic damage/mutations, typically over decades"

(apologies I don't want to go off topic here either)

• Advertisement

I haven't heard that theory before, and my point was that neither one of them offered data to support their arguments.
    To date I've only seen evidence supporting seasonality of the disease so that is what I base my opinion on (opinion!).
    I am open to being proven wrong as I am not an expert.... so it would be helpful if the experts actually used evidence to support their arguments, or alternatively, kept stumm!

You mean SA? Brazil? Florida? The autumn European surge starting 2 months before the normal winter virus season? New surges in spring in Europe, at the end of normal winter virus season?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Wombatman wrote: »

He is an absolutely pathetic person

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

so how does a 4 year old get cancer especially if its not genetic?

I'm not saying in this specific case it was triggered by stress but there are various reasons cancer develops. Its not always "cumulative genetic damage/mutations, typically over decades"

(apologies I don't want to go off topic here either)

I have looked after babies with cancer . It definitely is not cumulative in a 10 month old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Yes, you’re right. I think we will end up having more secondary deaths because of the lockdowns and restrictions than we will from the virus.

The lockdowns prevented many deaths from the virus. Like, people would be sick in huge numbers, the system would not be able to function correctly, the screenings would be unavailable anyway, so without lockdown you’d have a screwed HC system, hundreds dead a day and no cancer treatments or screenings. Is that what you are advocating for?

He is an absolutely pathetic person

The role of journalists are to inform the public, not deliberately mislead them. He is a disgrace, and so are his employers standing over such brazen lies.

• Advertisement

The lockdowns prevented many deaths from the virus. Like, people would be sick in huge numbers, the system would not be able to function correctly, the screenings would be unavailable anyway, so without lockdown you’d have a screwed HC system, hundreds dead a day and no cancer treatments or screenings. Is that what you are advocating for?

Do you have evidence for any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

The health service has never functioned correctly lol.

Why wouldn’t you be able to have cancer treatments or screenings?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I don't understand why cancer screening or treatment would have to stop. What has that got to do with covid?

(apart from post surgical ICU care)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely all them folks in Dry robes are super spreaders ,
    they seem to think because they are woke sea swimmer they can gather in large number and be fine ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I don't understand why cancer screening or treatment would have to stop. What has that got to do with covid?

(apart from post surgical ICU care)

Loads of medical staff were off sick due to Covid, meaning many teams couldn't function properly. There were quite a few staff that had to be redeployed to focusing on urgent Covid care too.

Then just following the Covid regs mean you can't have lots of people in waiting rooms for cancer clinics/screenings, you need staggered appointments. There were/are whole areas of hospitals that became Covid wards/areas instead of what they were previously. There are lots of reasons really that meant non-Covid care got reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Hundreds dead a DAY?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

exactly, I cant figure out why people cannot understand this...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

zinfandel wrote: »
    exactly, I cant figure out why people cannot understand this...

Hundreds dead a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Hundreds dead a DAY?

if it had been allowed run rampant and the hospitals got overwhelmed it would easily have been 100's a day plus the people with other problems who could not get into hospital,

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

zinfandel wrote: »
    if it had been allowed run rampant and the hospitals got overwhelmed it would easily have been 100's a day plus the people with other problems who could not get into hospital,

You know it is possible to take precautions and not lock down everything for the best part of year. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hundreds dead a DAY?

Obviously, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Tennis and golf could have a delayed reopening it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you have evidence for any of that?

Lombardy March 2020.

About 10 million citizens in an area the size of Munster with one of the oldest population demographic’s in the world

Similar demographics to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Eod100 wrote: »

AKA the government bowing to NPHET again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

More caution, that's good. If there's one thing we've been lacking in all this, it's caution.

Translation: "Government crippled by cowardice, overly deferential to NPHET which actually holds the reins of power in Ireland despite being a single-issue entity".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Tennis and golf could have a delayed reopening it seems.

I don't play tennis or golf and have no intention of taking them up but if true that is some joke

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Translation: "Government crippled by cowardice, overly deferential to NPHET which actually holds the reins of power in Ireland despite being a single-issue entity".

This has Micheal Martin written all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

marno21 wrote: »
    This has Micheal Martin written all over it.

The man is an utter coward with all the leadership qualities of a wet dishcloth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement