Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    He has an MSc in Economics. That's about it.

Ye, that chimes in with my thinking. Wildly irresponsible to have someone like that in a role like he has at a time like this. RTE should have shifted their cards around when this all kicked off... but then, it's not the first thing RTE needed to do but didn't.

Shambles, Bill.

So it would appear, after a brief googling, that George Lee is neither a qualified journalist nor an expert in either the environment or science - the two fields he is journalisming in for the nation.

[Edit: George Lee doesn't just report or present facts. He gives his own opinions and summations and that is, to be fair, a terrible thing to do at a time like this. He is the opposite of an expert.]

I am now going to apply for a job as lead engineer in aerodynamics at the McLaren Formula 1 team. I mean, I'm not an engineer and nor do I have any prior working experience - or even knowledge - of aerodynamics... but why should that stop me?!

Now, let's take a closer look at the experience of school teacher Micheál Martin...
    Hashtag facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 45,956 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So it would appear, after a brief googling, that George Lee is neither a qualified journalist nor an expert in either the environment or science - the two fields he is journalisming in for the nation.

I am now going to apply for a job as lead engineer in aerodynamics at the McLaren Formula 1 team. I mean, I'm not an engineer and nor do I have any prior working experience - or even knowledge - of aerodynamics... but why should that stop me?!

the apt comparison would be applying to report on Merc Engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The only thing George Lee should be reporting on is how long the queues are at his local dole office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Now, let's take a closer look at the experience of school teacher Micheál Martin...
    Hashtag facepalm

Pass the puke bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The only thing George Lee should be reporting on is how long the queues are at his local dole office

Based on recent performance, he should be on the queue itself.

[Edit: George Lee doesn't just report or present facts. He gives his own opinions and summations and that is, to be fair, a terrible thing to do at a time like this. He is the opposite of an expert.]

I believe economics is considered a science. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Great numbers today . Considering mother's day , Cheltenham and people being outdoors without masks on .

I believe economics is considered a science. Could be wrong though.

A social science, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I couldn't give a flying flip what George and Co. report or opinionate on were I not forced under duress to pay for the ****e (sorry, I got another TV licence reminder this morning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah sure why not. It all depends on who you know. I've even heard of a car sales man who became a CEO of a certain private hospital. Reach for the stars. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No NPHET briefing later on

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Should be abolished now anyway. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sure Ronan Glynn will be front and centre tomorrow anyway

Going to be interesting reading when the NPHET letter is published

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Probably because it's just been uncovered that Ronan Glynn is actually a web-designer and had an uncle that worked as a porter in Beaumont.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Dermot224

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Based on recent performance, he should be on the queue itself.

Can mods start a separate George Lee thread PLEASE. Sick of reading about him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

A reminder of the madness that occurred last summer.

We never fully reopened, we never enabled our citizens to live with any sense of reprieve yet these were our figures in late June

The killer for me is that with all the talk of this year being an outdoor summer they're essentially saying this year will be even more restricted than last year even though we now have vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

It's clear there is not surge or real increase . It actually looks like it's slowly decreasing

It will be a very interesting what happens now

I think there could be a bit of a panic and one or two things changed

Dermot224 wrote: »
    Can mods start a separate George Lee thread PLEASE. Sick of reading about him here.

Ahhh goway! We're just filling in the lull. Calm before the storm, like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Great numbers today . Considering mother's day , Cheltenham and people being outdoors without masks on .

Have today's numbers been released yet? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Kiith wrote: »

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1376569055553945601?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Kiith wrote: »

They hadn't been released when poster posted that . Poster posted their praise for tonight's figures too early

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Worst surge ever

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

One death, 539 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It's clear there is not surge or real increase . It actually looks like it's slowly decreasing

It will be a very interesting what happens now

I think there could be a bit of a panic and one or two things changed

Despite people out and about and meeting outdoors , despite kids playing , despite packed parks , despite everything the numbers are dropping .
    For gods sake let us out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

The positive asymptomatic cases being caught at the walk in centres should be seen as a failure of the contact tracing system rather than a success of the centres

Our kind of contact tracing only works with a lower number of cases. With case numbers still in the several hundreds, the best it can do is find some additional close contact cases. But it's not an effective tool to control spread, which I thought was supposed to be the original idea of contact tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UK facing a challenge vaccinating BAME groups.

Over-70s of black African heritage in England are 7.4 times more likely not to have received a first dose of a coronavirus vaccine compared with their white British counterparts, according to analysis by the Office for National Statistics.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/29/study-low-covid-jab-take-up-black-people-england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I did most work from my laptop today in the outdoors sunshine, listening to music and only checking Twitter twice for the swabs number

Then, at around 4pm, I was tempted to switch from music to talk radio to see what they were saying today re: Covid. I stopped myself and kept listening to music

I'm glad I did and I feel all the better for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Polar101 wrote: »
    Our kind of contact tracing only works with a lower number of cases. With case numbers still in the several hundreds, the best it can do is find some additional close contact cases. But it's not an effective tool to control spread, which I thought was supposed to be the original idea of contact tracing.
    It can be, but you need more invasive tracking measures and data capture which GDPR would not allow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement