Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Where are you finding those proposals?

Reading the tea leaves, which I think are pretty obvious at this point and all can see them, which is why many are so up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Then are they not perfectly correct to maintain it ?

Yes. If something is not working, why not keep trying until it does. You realize the stuff you perpetually regurgitate bears the mark of insanity?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nphet-delivers-stark-warning-to-government-that-lifting-restrictions-too-early-could-cause-fresh-covid-wave-lasting-into-summer-1.4522864

Unbelievable stuff. 2000 cases a day within a week if the 5km is relaxed.

They don't seem to realise that Ireland is not a police state. It's police by consent here. The people will stop supporting these measures unless there is some reprieve tomorrow. Then they will get their "fourth wave" regardless.

NPHET want up to another 2 months of lockdowns. Would they ever just fook off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Reading the tea leaves talking complete sh1te, which I think are pretty obvious at this point and all can see them, which is why many are so up in arms.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm fairly certain that a good chunk of the gardaí don't care about the 5KM restrictions any more either. I haven't seen any checkpoint on my usual routes for a month now, including one on the way to check in on work where I pass through a county border.

I do still have a "prescription" sitting on my passenger seat in the off-chance I do encounter a checkpoint whenever I feel like a bad-ass and venture beyond my 5KM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

11521323 wrote: »
    Their modelling is bollocks and has been off time and time again. "Maths of the virus" - good heavens. I haven't seen you critically analyse anything from NPHET, you seem to just blindly agree.

Was just gonna say this. Seen people criticising their modelling online. I don’t know anything about or claim to, however it seems to be something that comes with a sizeable margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

km79 wrote: »
    People needing homes built to live in ?

Eh? You mean you believe construction wont resume? During the last recession the demand for new housing fell through the floor and when economic conditions were right - house building went into overdrive. I expect the exact same will happen again tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I'm fairly certain that a good chunk of the gardaí don't care about the 5KM restrictions any more either. I haven't seen any checkpoint on my usual routes for a month now, including one on the way to check in on work where I pass through a county border.

I do still have a "prescription" sitting on my passenger seat in the off-chance I do encounter a checkpoint whenever I feel like a bad-ass and venture beyond my 5KM.

5km rule is non-existent. It’s only there to make the lockdown merchants feel safe.

Yes. If something is not working, why not keep trying until it does. You realize the stuff you perpetually regurgitate bears the mark of insanity?

Because reducing it to 2km would likely not fix it. What restriction would you impose instead that would work to get numbers down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It will be 5k for the whole of this year at this rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I understand calls for some regional lifting where cases are low.

But if we lift restrictions nationwide we get another wave similar to christmas.

Schools unfortunately & people breaking restrictions will see a rise next months most likely.
    some people just not thinking logically. We just get another lockdown if we lift restrictions with cases still too high

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

The fact they think we could end up with 2000 cases a day if 5k limit is extended is farcical! Counties the size of Cork and Kerry which have very little covid if any, how would I catch covid by walking on Garryvoe beach or going to the lakes in Killarney! I’m not going to go and lick someone or ask them to shift me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

gozunda wrote: »
    More testing is good.

New case numbers are not showing any significant reduction over time.
    You still haven't answered my original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

MD1990 wrote: »

But if we lift restrictions nationwide we get another wave similar to christmas.

Schools unfortunately & people breaking restrictions will see a rise next months most likely.
    some people just not thinking logically. We just get another lockdown if we lift restrictions with cases still too high

Yes. Some people certainly aren't thinking logically. Especially the ones still going on about Christmas when it's almost April.

Schools are open for 4 weeks now with all primary back 2 weeks. No sign of this so called surge.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No they won't. Most people want the 5km relaxed and construction opened.

Not pubs and restaurants for 3 weeks followed by indoor dinner with a load of old and vulnerable relatives in the week after a free for all of inbound travel from one of the world's biggest covid hotspots

Cork2021 wrote: »
    The fact they think we could end up with 2000 cases a day if 5k limit is extended is farcical! Counties the size of Cork and Kerry which have very little covid if any, how would I catch covid by walking on Garryvoe beach or going to the lakes in Killarney! I’m not going to go and lick someone or ask them to shift me!

They're completely out of touch at this stage. RTE and Claire Byrne doing their best to keep the fear up tonight.

Because reducing it to 2km would likely not fix it. What restriction would you impose instead that would work to get numbers down ?

I've said this to you 5+ times already. Here it is again.

For ANY restriction to work, you need public buy-in and you need people need to comply. For people to comply, they need motivation to do so. For them to have motivation and trust in the Government, they need to be given options and hope.

Perpetually having these nonsensical restrictions in place will never get you more compliance which is why it has stopped working.

If you lift that nonsensical limit, give people some semblance of hope and give them safe, outdoor options, you regain trust and compliance and you steady the ship. Not that hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

marno21 wrote: »
    How do you input mass disobedience and complete collapse of public buy in to the modelling?

It's evidently going on already and it's compliance isn't going to increase if we get told we're bold and getting no treats tomorrow.

I'd love a journalist to ask that of Philip Nolan and Ronan Glynn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Why such a hostile reaction ? They arent just making up arbitrary rules for fun of it. If thats what the modelling says, thats what the modelling says. It would be irresponsible of NPHET not to spell this out of thats the ways it is. No point blaming them for the maths of the virus.

The "maths of the virus"..... Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If they come out with that people will just throw the towel in. *The 5km is already being widely ignored.

*Its not you know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

cjyid wrote: »

Spoilers

No

I've said this to you 5+ times already. Here it is again.

For ANY restriction to work, you need public buy-in and you need people need to comply. For people to comply, they need motivation to do so. For them to have motivation and trust in the Government, they need to be given options and hope.

Perpetually having these nonsensical restrictions in place will never get you more compliance which is why it has stopped working.

If you lift that nonsensical limit, give people some semblance of hope and give them safe, outdoor options, you regain trust and compliance and you steady the ship. Not that hard to understand.

How does hope reduce spread of the virus ? While there are the nonconformers, as long as there is a sizeable number conforming, the benefit of the restrictions is there. Its unequal - those complying are doing double the hardship to make up for those who dont give a toss. But overall, the restrictions are still to the benefit of all, so those with discipline, and the courage to observe the restrictions are doing society a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Who cares about the numbers. With enough of the elderly and vulnerable vaccinated it shouldn't matter what case numbers are. I genuinely hope that the minute the vulnerable and elderly get done, we see 300k to 500k cases a day. Everything covid related would be over in three weeks.

cjyid wrote: »

If you factor in positive cases per tests completed, nope. But any data they can reframe to support their 'cautious' approach the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

How does it work in every other country in Europe? Do their public health doctors not look for as strict restrictions as NPHET does here or is it that they do but their governments just disagree and have lighter restrictions instead? Genuine question, it's just the longer this goes on the more baffling it all is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Well it's definitely not St Vincents, 41% of there patients are in ICU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement