Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

cjyid wrote: »

I’d say no, they happened to open walk in centres for possible asymptomatic cases!! Why not open walk ins in all counties and root out all the infection and isolate then!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You still haven't answered my original question.

Which was what? I didn't see a second question question.

I answered the first one

First rule of statistics. Don't take one day's data (or one week's) in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

How does hope reduce spread of the virus ? While there are the nonconformers, as long as there is a sizeable number conforming, the benefit of the restrictions is there. Its unequal - those complying are doing double the hardship to make up for those who dont give a toss. But overall, the restrictions are still to the benefit of all, so those with discipline, and the courage to observe the restrictions are doing society a service.

You really are so deliriously oblivious to reality it's not even funny. I'm done replying to you because you're either a troll or incapable of using critical thinking and scientific reasoning. Just because you keep saying something, doesn't make it true, regardless of how many times you say it.

Klonker wrote: »
    How does it work in every other country in Europe? Do their public health doctors not look for as strict restrictions as NPHET does here or is it that they do but their governments just disagree and have lighter restrictions instead? Genuine question, it's just the longer this goes on the more baffling it all is!

Other Governments actually govern. Ours have handed over the running of the country to NPHET.

The government should be hearing from experts across all sectors and areas when making a decision but they're so laser-focused on Covid, they're neglecting everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hynesie08 wrote: »

Yup as you were in terms of what was already flagged as being under consideration

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376660494577242113?s=19

I await the outrage on here when the government do *checks notes* exactly what they said they would do......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Bet the steps will be phased in over two months just to align with NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It doesn't look like there'll be anything new in what was expected really, I think it's more the negative talk about how the restrictions plan will work going forward. I'm personally just about ok with the expected things get eased, 5km, kids sports, construction etc.

Not having any sort of guide for the months ahead is very disappointing though and ridiculous at this stage. For those saying 'well how can you have a plan when cases could change?', well cases 'could change' from the second the virus was in this country and we previously actually had a roadmap. Even with this variant, cases aren't necessarily going up, just a lot more stubborn. Even with changes in Europe, countries still have roadmaps but it's severely lacking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Thats not as we were. Thats a plan of staged relaxation of restrictions over the next two months. Really ? Is it that difficult to go cautiously for just a few more months until the vaccines reach the English level ? Look at where they are and they only opened golf today ? And people here want it next week ! We are 6-8 weeks behind. EU vaccine programme to blame on that one. But NPHET and the govt can only go on the facts as they are, not how they would like them to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So...according to the Irish Times, we can avoid going from 600 cases a day to 2000 cases a day by:

The ‘big bang’ means we could go from 600 cases a day to 2,000 cases a day in a week,” a Government source said. “It allows us to be that little bit more cautious, especially with what we’re seeing elsewhere. We’ve had a third wave, most of Europe is in their third wave, and we don’t want a fourth wave.”

This could mean that the 5km travel restriction is eased one week, the remaining school classes on another and later in April two households could meet outdoors in a park but not in a private garden.

Cleary gardens are very dangerous places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

"Let's move a little bit at a time so they won't notice and we won't get given out to"

These are suppose to be the leaders of our country ffs. I'm actually embarrassed of our country at the moment and I don't say that lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thats not as we were. Thats a plan of staged relaxation of restrictions over the next two months. Really ? Is it that difficult to go cautiously for just a few more months until the vaccines reach the English level ? Look at where they are and they only opened golf today ? And people here want it next week ! We are 6-8 weeks behind. EU vaccine programme to blame on that one. But NPHET and the govt can only go on the facts as they are, not how they would like them to be.

Where are you getting 2 months from ? I'll have a good guess that your pulling it from sky (like alot of posts)

They're looking at what they said they'd look at, and ease what was expected to ease, its as you were from what they said they'd look at a few weeks ago.

As for go cautiously for the next few months... your either way out of touch with public sentiment or your just on a wind up now

Corholio wrote: »
    It doesn't look like there'll be anything new in what was expected really, I think it's more the negative talk about how the restrictions plan will work going forward. I'm personally just about ok with the expected things get eased, 5km, kids sports, construction etc.

Not having any sort of guide for the months ahead is very disappointing though and ridiculous at this stage. For those saying 'well how can you have a plan when cases could change?', well cases 'could change' from the second the virus was in this country and we previously actually had a roadmap. Even with this variant, cases aren't necessarily going up, just a lot more stubborn. Even with changes in Europe, countries still have roadmaps but it's severely lacking here.

https://twitter.com/PTHosford/status/1376660990595567622?s=20

If you've been reading between the lines, may is on course for a major easing of restrictions, so why they won't come out and give the caveats necessary for it is beyond me.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong tomorrow.......

Where are you getting 2 months from ? I'll have a good guess that your pulling it from sky (like alot of posts)

We are 6-8 weeks behind Britain. In general, we have been tighter than them. So unlikely at this stage to see us exceed their rate of reopening. So two months or so. Its a reasonable benchmark. And sounds in line with the mood music coming from NPHET and govt leaks through the journos.

Klonker wrote: »
    "Let's move a little bit at a time so they won't notice and we won't get given out to"

These are suppose to be the leaders of our country ffs. I'm actually embarrassed of our country at the moment and I don't say that lightly.

There’s not one ounce of leadership been shown not one!! We’ve been thrown a few crumbs and told to hold firm!! It’s all bollix to me!
    Wife due our baby over the next couple of days and I won’t even be allowed back in after the birth! It’s a ****ing joke!
    Show us leadership, give us a roadmap, hinge it on the vaccination programme and icu numbers! Not cases! Cases will mean sweet fûck all soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

But English golfers knew when the road plan was issued golf was opening today. NI have a roadmap. We dont have a roadmap.
    Golfers here still dont know when the courses will open. Will it be the 5th April, 12th 19th or postponed till may.
    Our government is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If you've been reading between the lines, may is on course for a major easing of restrictions, so why they won't come out and give the caveats necessary for it is beyond me.

They constantly mention this 'pre breaking of conditions', that if they announce the eased restrictions for May, that people will already go out and start breaking them. I don't believe that's a very strong reason not to though, a lot of the potential May restrictions would be premises that wouldn't open until then, so how could people pre-break those restrictions? I fully believe that giving people something to look forward to will help people stay contained than much better than hitting them with a 'hold on or else' stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

gozunda wrote: »
    Which was what?

Do you class 202 more weekly cases from 27,823 more weekly tests as a volatile situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Cork2021 wrote: »
    There’s not one ounce of leadership been shown not one!! We’ve been thrown a few crumbs and told to hold firm!! It’s all bollix to me!
    Wife due our baby over the next couple of days and I won’t even be allowed back in after the birth! It’s a ****ing joke!
    Show us leadership, give us a roadmap, hinge it on the vaccination programme and icu numbers! Not cases! Cases will mean sweet fûck all soon!

Canada to suspend the AZ for those aged under 55 - wonder if the regulators will need to take another look here

• Advertisement

I’d accept a roadmap with caveats like you’ve said, it gives us all something to work on.. ie, go to a restaurant, go to the pub when and how can this happen?? Let us know and I’m sure people will listen and say right let’s get through these 6-8 weeks and then we can actually enjoy summer!

RGS wrote: »
    But English golfers knew when the road plan was issued golf was opening today. NI have a roadmap. We dont have a roadmap.
    Golfers here still dont know when the courses will open. Will it be the 5th April, 12th 19th or postponed till may.
    Our government is a joke.

Like which Monday golfers can play again is a pressing matter for the govt at the moment ? Really ?

Like which Monday golfers can play again is a pressing matter for the govt at the moment ? Really ?

10% of the population play golf, it's the only exercise many of those will get too. It's outdoors, it's safe. There is zero logical or scientific reasoning to keep courses closed any longer.

You're so out of touch with reality it's scary. You're on the ignored list now for being incapable of rational thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,466 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A lot of people will be angry tomorrow the government is rejecting the advice of NPHET.

A large junk of people what the current restrictions to remain in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

A lot of people will be angry tomorrow the government is rejecting the advice of NPHET.

A large junk of people what the current restrictions to remain in place.

i don't think so at all. most people i know have had enough of lockdown. all of them were supportive of restrictions right up until about a month ago.

the blanket level 5 is no longer tolerable. people are literally losing their minds.

if there is not meaningful changes tomorrow, there will be very little support left nationally for this government and things will so south fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Pepsirebel

Cork2021 wrote: »
    I’d accept a roadmap with caveats like you’ve said, it gives us all something to work on.. ie, go to a restaurant, go to the pub when and how can this happen?? Let us know and I’m sure people will listen and say right let’s get through these 6-8 weeks and then we can actually enjoy summer!

A roadmap....our roadmap is us on a roundabout with a number of exits available to us but we're going round & round white knuckling the steering wheel while hugging & staring at the kerb of the roundabout. While holding up traffic.

Dopes

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

You mentioned golf in your post, I responded.

Yes outdoor non contact sport should be an issue on the agenda or are you dismissive of the health benefits available from golf and other sports.

I firmly believe any outdoor activity should be promoted and actively encouraged but it appears our health experts put too much emphasis on the possible side issues and they go on about possible coffee buying, petrol buying, car sharing but ignore the real benefits to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

TheDoctor wrote: »
    We are all the worst and deserve to be punished by NPHET

Correct.

RGS wrote: »
    You mentioned golf in your post, I responded.

Yes outdoor non contact sport should be an issue on the agenda or are you dismissive of the health benefits available from golf and other sports.

I firmly believe any outdoor activity should be promoted and actively encouraged but it appears our health experts put too much emphasis on the possible side issues and they go on about possible coffee buying, petrol buying, car sharing but ignore the real benefits to people.

As an example. Of how we are realitve to the UK, which is 6-8 weeks ahead of us. So why does anyone think the irish govt will accelerate to the UK pace in a week. No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,466 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

cheezums wrote: »
    i don't think so at all. most people i know have had enough of lockdown. all of them were supportive of restrictions right up until about a month ago.

the blanket level 5 is no longer tolerable. people are literally losing their minds.

if there is not meaningful changes tomorrow, there will be very little support left nationally for this government and things will so south fast.

This isn't what opinion polls say.

I'm being flippant, because I'm just highlighting the annoying flip flop approach of so many Irish people.

They want restrictions but not for themselves. They asked for tighter restrictions back in January to eliminate the virus and the government gave it to them. Now they are moaning about the rules.

You can't win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement