Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

havent a clue what the government are protecting these days !

You (among others).

Its quite logical.

We don't have enough vaccine yet

We don't have enough of the population vaccined yet

We are at level 5 - The infection numbers are static at around 500 per day

We are on the fringe of maybe a 4th wave

This is not the time to tickle the publics belly, this is the time to show leadership in the face of public resentment & scrutiny.

The only protection we have is the vaccine - And we don't have nowhere near enough of that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Allinall wrote: »
    Virtually every other government in Europe is doing similar to what we are doing, economy wise.

Every other country has adopted a practical approach. I'm not advocating for a complete reopening, but they've gone from one extreme to the other now and in typical fashion, are crippled by their inability to make a decision.

How ironic to have a government who are too terrified to govern for fear of retribution, that's LITERALLY what they're paid six figures to do yet they defer responsibility to a public health advisory body.

I'm ashamed of the citizens of this nation.

flanna01 wrote: »
    You (among others).

Its quite logical.

This is not the time to tickle the publics belly, this is the time to show leadership in the face of public resentment & scrutiny.

The only protection we have is the vaccine - And we don't have nowhere near enough of that yet.

Once again, ignoring the reality of the situation in favor of a fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

11521323 wrote: »
    Every other country has adopted a practical approach. I'm not advocating for a complete reopening, but they've gone from one extreme to the other now and in typical fashion, are crippled by their inability to make a decision.

How ironic to have a government who are too terrified to govern for fear of retribution, that's LITERALLY what they're paid six figures to do yet they defer responsibility to a public health advisory body.

I'm ashamed of the citizens of this nation.

Are you a citizen of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Amirani wrote: »
    No, because people are most infectious in and around when they become symptomatic. Going back 2 days before this point covers a majority of people's contacts.

Going back 3 would capture a bit more in some cases, but nowhere near 50% more.

Yes but given its an average of 1 week from infection to onset of symptoms, you cant get the full chain of transmission from just 48hrs.
    The idea behind contact tracing is to find the whole chain so you can stop them spreading. Relying on the initial virus carrier to bring themselves forward when they might not even have symptoms is absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

You (among others).

Its quite logical.

how about restrictions that make sense and not just a blanket level 5 because the government are scared/unable to make a sensible plan? wouldn't that be true leadership?

Allinall wrote: »
    Are you a citizen of Ireland?

Citizen? Yes, since birth. Resident? Also yes, but I'll be getting out of here and never looking back once this is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I don’t see the US being added. Numbers there much the same as Ireland and a massive vaccination programme underway. UK government is talking about the US being a travel and holiday destination for Brits before Europe is

I assume we will adopt some logic and exempt those who are fully vaccinated?! Oh no of course not....that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Golfman64 wrote: »
    I assume we will adopt some logic and exempt those who are fully vaccinated?! Oh no of course not....that would make sense.

w are all in this together remember :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Johnson and Johnson to deliver 200m vaccines to EU commencing April 19th to end of June. Ireland will receive 2.2m of these. It's a one shot vaccine. Adult population is 3.7m. Surely almost every adult will be vaccinated by the end of the June then?

Where are you seeing that? The total order is 200 m but I think it's 55 m in Q2 (see Ursula Von Leyden tweet of 25th March)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Johnson and Johnson to deliver 200m vaccines to EU commencing April 19th to end of June. Ireland will receive 2.2m of these. It's a one shot vaccine. Adult population is 3.7m. Surely almost every adult will be vaccinated by the end of the June then?

Have you a link for that? I thought the entire order was 200m and they were delivering about 60m in Q2, giving us about 660,000 doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can we get a source on that please.

Last I saw was 600k in Ireland in q2.

2.2 million in q2 means we can finish the whole thing by June.

2.2 million is Ireland total order. I had not seen any indication we would get it all in q2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/eu-approves-single-shot-johnson-johnson-vaccine-1.4507473%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

11521323 wrote: »
    Once again, ignoring the reality of the situation in favor of a fantasy.

Get real will you..????

The facts are there for all to see.

I understand the loop holes where travel is concerned, but we still have to import goods from other countries. Aviation, Sea and Road haulage are not going to stop.

The reality of the situation is that the more we venture out and mix, the more the virus spreads - It's as simple as that.

We don't have enough of the population vaccined yet.

If you think this is fantasy... You are delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

2 week gaps, based on this I'm going to take an educated guess on May 10th for some sort of easing on retail etc

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1376856999825129472?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

zebastein wrote: »
    I really enjoy how the news from other countries are filtered in the way that interest Irish media.

The health service is not pulverised. Parts of the country have an incidence rate between 50 and 150. There are 101 counties ("departements") in France and only 19 have a lockdown, which is less severe than here in Ireland.

But more interestingly: though the number of people in hospital and ICU has increased in France, the daily deaths have decreased by 1/3 since the beginning of February.

They have managed to avoid a lockdown, they did not see a massive spike of cases, but more a slow increase that can be controlled by reactive restrictions and that does not translate into spike of deaths.

I don't know how many times I've read that X countries health sector is on the brink of collapse. Then cases and hospitalisations would double over the following few months and it would still be on the brink of collapse somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

2 week gaps, based on this I'm going to take an educated guess on May 10th for some sort of easing on retail etc

Pretty much a month before people can do extremely low risk outdoor sports, what a farce.

These politicians are living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Haaaa. Tennis... big swing. How many people will that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"April 12: County-wide travel and 2 households can meet outdoors.

April 26: Tennis, Golf, kids training and outdoor attractions can open (including the zoo!). "

Makes feck all difference to me! Roll on May so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Can we get a source on that please.

Last I saw was 600k in Ireland in q2.

2.2 million in q2 means we can finish the whole thing by June.

2.2 million is Ireland total order. I had not seen any indication we would get it all in q2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/eu-approves-single-shot-johnson-johnson-vaccine-1.4507473%3fmode=amp

Apologies . It was a misleading headline from cnn and tweet from cnn. It was posted on another covid forum but I just see they've corrected it there now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

RTE have the 2.2 million dose figure but no 'fulfilled by' date. Easy to get confused with all of the varying headlines out there.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0329/1206865-j-j-vaccine/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Monday's GP data looks ok - slightly up on Friday, but there is always an increase after the weekend and this is a smaller increase than normal. Supports the idea that things have stabilised and might be improving slightly.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-03-30_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So at best that'll probably be May 10th for click and collect and 24th for hairdressers. Fair chance, be even longer than that.

Get real will you..????

The facts are there for all to see.

I understand the loop holes where travel is concerned, but we still have to import goods from other countries. Aviation, Sea and Road haulage are not going to stop.

The reality of the situation is that the more we venture out and mix, the more the virus spreads - It's as simple as that.

We don't have enough of the population vaccined yet.

If you think this is fantasy... You are delusional.

Have a good day champ, enjoy the sunshine. I can't discuss anything with an individual like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

timmyntc wrote: »
    No other country in Europe closed their construction industry.
    Nor did they have anywhere near as many businesses kept shut for as long.

Has any other country borrowed as much (per capita) as us during the pandemic?

Other countries have more leeway as their heatlth services are more robust

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Monday's GP data looks ok - slightly up on Friday, but there is always an increase after the weekend and this is a smaller increase than normal. Supports the idea that things have stabilised and might be improving slightly.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-03-30_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

I guess the rise there around the 16 March simply coincided with a return of schools, thus parents being more cautious and calling/bringing themselves or their children to the GP for check up for respiratory symptoms etc? But probably didn't actually correspond to a rise in COVID?

frank8211 wrote: »

And yet the Government that spent years neglecting the upgrade of our healthcare system still gets unwavering support from the citizens of Ireland. Anyone who still supports FFG at this stage are devoid of a basic level of intellect.

The problem is, the opposition is also direly weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭timmyntc

frank8211 wrote: »

Our health service has not once hit capacity yet. Even in the dreaded christmas surge we didnt run out of beds. The HSE's shambles of a health service is no justification for us committing economic suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1376863281999138820

If all that came to pass I don't think the government have done a bad job this time around *chokes*

Yes it's a phased opening but they'll have done all that they said they would

Schools check
    Construction check
    More outdoors check
    Kids training, golf and tennis check
    Getting rid of the 5km - going to county even more than I expected

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1376863281999138820

If all that came to pass I don't think the government have done a bad job this time around *chokes*

Yes it's a phased opening but they'll have done all that they said they would

Schools check
    Construction check
    More outdoors check
    Kids training, golf and tennis check
    Getting rid of the 5km - going to county even more than I expected

Intercounty GAA before kids training/golf etc?

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stheno wrote: »
    Intercounty GAA before kids training/golf etc?

Why?

Because it has nothing to do with what is actually safe to re-open first. Optics all the ****ing way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement