Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Stheno wrote: »
    Intercounty GAA before kids training/golf etc?

Why?

Its 7 days i think you will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Why?

Guessing less people involved and they are used to the protocols from last year

The Cork hurlers would have 60 between players, management, backroom staff etc

My club team has over 70 under 10s alone

Was the government removed exemption for intercounty GAAA in December not on NPHET advice

Think they'll want games to be started in Mid May so that will be a distraction for people as well

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Its 7 days i think you will be ok

It's still nonsensical and yet people like you are happy to accept it.

You can also add the 7 days onto the 100+ it'll be at that stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I've no problem with a bit of phases opening now, especially considering we have very good vaccines. So let's avoid the potentially for some needless dates by doing too much too quick. But they need to be clear and set out the metrics for what constitutes being able to progress to next phase. And not just solely have it tied to case numbers. People want transparency and a path forward that can be easily consumed. That's where the hope will come from.

One thing I don't get is any sort of delaying 5km restriction, which may be to do with a bank holiday. People will meet up this bank holiday. But instead of it being outdoors, it will now continue indoors away from people seeing them meet outside. Lots have a ready made excuse for checkpoints and lately I've been waved through the regular checkpoints I've been hitting since January. Garda sitting there but not bothering stopping people. It's beyond pointless at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

the obsession with GAA by FF is ****ing laughable.

• Advertisement

11521323 wrote: »
    It's still nonsensical and yet people like you are happy to accept it.

You can also add the 7 days onto the 100+ it'll be at that stage too.

Im one of the biggest critics of NPHET and the Government on boards . You are giving out about something taking 7 days longer to come back than something else .

Anyway , Inter County GAA should never have been stopped in the first place . It ran without a hiccup last Autumn/Winter

I've no problem with a bit of phases opening now, especially considering we have very good vaccines. So let's avoid the potentially for some needless dates by doing too much too quick. But they need to be clear and set out the metrics for what constitutes being able to progress to next phase. And not just solely have it tied to case numbers. People want transparency and a path forward that can be easily consumed. That's where the hope will come from.

One thing I don't get is any sort of delaying 5km restriction, which may be to do with a bank holiday. People will meet up this bank holiday. But instead of it being outdoors, it will now continue indoors away from people seeing them meet outside. Lots have a ready made excuse for checkpoints and lately I've been waved through the regular checkpoints I've been hitting since January. Garda sitting there but not bothering stopping people. It's beyond pointless at this stage.

They fear a mass exodus for the bank holiday weekend

That will happen anyway and they know it

Couldn't allow people to enjoy a bank holiday though

That's against the government and NPHET handbook

cheezums wrote: »
    the obsession with GAA by FF is ****ing laughable.

You are picking the wrong argument . They stopped inter county GAA against NPHET advice even though it ran smoothly last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why?
    PR.

I said it weeks ago, but the return of intercounty GAA will be one of the big focusses of the vaccination plan and lifting of restrictions. It's a morale symbol; the resumption of the biggest domestic sports to give everyone a boost.

The government are aiming for a showpiece; most likely the return of crowds to the latter stages of the All-Ireland championships, and possibly a 75% full Croke Park for the finals.

So they'll have worked back from there and prioritised senior training to resume as soon as reasonably possible.

I think they would have liked crowds at matches from July, but that might be a bit optimistic. Nevertheless, small crowds, say 25% capacity at that stage seems plausible.

Im one of the biggest critics of NPHET and the Government on boards . You are giving out about something taking 7 days longer to come back than something else .

Anyway , Inter County GAA should never have been stopped in the first place . It ran without a hiccup last Autumn/Winter

intercounty GAA shouldn't even be a talking point right now with people's livelihoods and mental health on the line tbh. at best it's bad messaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I can cope if own county travel is allowed on the 12th . If they had said 10 k I would have thrown in the towel and did as I pleased .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As I suspected earlier for May.

My own guess based on the 2 week gaps is that we'll see retail & construction perhaps on 13th May, personal services 23rd May.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1376877796149067780?s=20

Also another interesting consideration

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1376877195407294468?s=20

Jesus Christ. Is this whole plan going to be announced by journalist tweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Construction even being a topic of discussion for not reopening, during a massive housing crisis, is a huge scandal. Of course the ones making that call aren't impacted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Jesus Christ. Is this whole plan going to be announced by journalist tweets?

It's pretty much par for the course (no pun intended!)

intercounty GAA shouldn't even be a talking point right now with people's livelihoods and mental health on the line tbh. at best it's bad messaging.

What about golf and tennis the week after ? What about league or Ireland not stopping at all during level 5 lockdown . Or is it just inter county GAA ? The one thing out of them all that could help peoples mental health*

* based of viewing figures its by far the most watched out of all of them

My own guess based on the 2 week gaps is that we'll see retail & construction perhaps on 13th May, personal services 23rd May.

It depends on their review gap

6 weeks has been touted instead of four

In fairness at least you could see a plan if they put dates on those priorities but they won't

Slightly unfair on those who get AZ . The gap is 12 weeks as opposed to 4 for Pfizer
    Ah well !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're probably doing that already. I guess though the main concern around that will be signalling; people with a single dose might think they're cool to meet up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

They're simply righting a previous wrong. If intercounty GAA had kept its elite status after the very successful championships last winter then nobody would've batted an eyelid. Elite Sports is allowed. They're the most popular domestic sports events we have. It's a non issue, it shouldn't become a talking point today unless you fundamentally disagree with any sports whatsoever being allowed

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Slightly unfair on those who get AZ . The gap is 12 weeks as opposed to 4 for Pfizer
    Ah well !

True but better than nothing

Going to be a long time before I get vaccinated seeing as I'm in cohort 10 but there should be less danger involved in fully vaccinated people meeting up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If that's accurate, the fact that they're considering allowing vaccinated people to meet indoors as early as April 12th gives me a good bit of hope that they'll stick to a rapid reopening once a good amount of people are vaccinated.

It's a small point, but it's once of the best indicators of reasons to be hopeful for the coming month's I've seen in quite a while.

AdamD wrote: »
    Construction even being a topic of discussion for not reopening, during a massive housing crisis, is a huge scandal. Of course the ones making that call aren't impacted by it.
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1376863281999138820

If all that came to pass I don't think the government have done a bad job this time around *chokes*

Yes it's a phased opening but they'll have done all that they said they would

Schools check
    Construction check
    More outdoors check
    Kids training, golf and tennis check
    Getting rid of the 5km - going to county even more than I expected

What about golf and tennis the week after ? What about league or Ireland not stopping at all during level 5 lockdown . Or is it just inter county GAA ? The one thing out of them all that could help peoples mental health*

well first of all GAA is a full contact sport, probably just behind rugby in terms of risk.

and most of the country cannot play intercounty GAA.

i would imagine the GAA were pushing other lobby groups out of the way to get in Martin's ear. the same organisation that made an absolute mess of their organizations covid controls before christmas if you recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

seamus wrote: »
    They're probably doing that already. I guess though the main concern around that will be signalling; people with a single dose might think they're cool to meet up too.

And yet, if we don't ignore the science - people with a single dose are in fact safe to meet up after about 2 weeks.

Are we seriously going to expect people who get AZ to wait 3 months for their second dose before meeting people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

And the mental health of many of us would have been well served had the government called off Ireland v Luxembourg the other night.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

well first of all GAA is a full contact sport, probably just behind rugby in terms of risk.

i would imagine the GAA were pushing other lobby groups out of the way to get in Martin's ear. the same organisation that made an absolute mess of their organizations covid controls before christmas if you recall.

They're were issues at club level. But intercounty ran with very few hitches

AdamD wrote: »
    And yet, if we don't ignore the science - people with a single dose are in fact safe to meet up after about 2 weeks.

Are we seriously going to expect people who get AZ to wait 3 months for their second dose before meeting people?
    Yeh can see that as being an issue too

The point is that the people involved can easily be tested and traced because it is a defined group of people.

What controls did they make a mess of just before Christmas?

And the French rugby team detected an outbreak in their squad 2 days after playing Ireland in rugby. None of the Irish squad were impacted

• Advertisement

What mess was that?

Can you point to a single case from GAA matches or training last year?

Not after the match or training but thanks to training or matches themselves

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement