Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

That’s the correct approach IMO. Simpler = faster. In the UK, all attempts by various bodies to get priority (police, teachers, transport workers etc) have been rejected

Mike Ryan said it over 15 months ago, good beats perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

cheezums wrote: »
    well first of all GAA is a full contact sport, probably just behind rugby in terms of risk.

and most of the country cannot play intercounty GAA.

i would imagine the GAA were pushing other lobby groups out of the way to get in Martin's ear. the same organisation that made an absolute mess of their organizations covid controls before christmas if you recall.

Martin's son plays inter county GAA of course. I'd imagine that helps to get them one of the first back. If his son played tennis, that would probably have been first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭celt262

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    True that

They're not going to be happy at all

They will be on Holidays in a few weeks they will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Turtwig wrote: »
    I agree with your remarks about public buy in. It's going to be hard sell. Administration wise it's the most efficient. Presuming the supply is seamless and the age groups are moved through swiftly.
    I don't know about the hard sell, I think a lot of the misery and despair that many are feeling is because there is no end in sight. For many who aren't in a highly vulnerable group it seems like a vaccine is a million miles away with all this talk of cohorts and various lobbying groups fighting each other.

Being told that we're moving to age cohorts suddenly means everyone can see an end-date in sight, and it's an easy to understand system. No fuming about CEOs handing out vaccines and a perceived "unfairness", just a very simple and easy to understand deployment.

I suspect also that once you get out of the highly vulnerable groups the public is less worried than the media would have you think about groups like teachers being prioritised. People can choose themselves to postpone getting the vaccine if they think others are more deserving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

celt262 wrote: »
    They will be on Holidays in a few weeks they will be grand.

Getting them back after Easter might be more of an issue though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

seamus wrote: »
    This is probably the rationale behind it.

We already introduced cohort 4, which will protect the most vulnerable in all age groups below 65. Which will include any vulnerable people in "essential worker" roles.

I expect cohorts 5 - 8 will still exist and will be prioritised. That is, if you're 18 and in cohort 8 (Long-term care), you will get vaccinated along with the rest of your facility rather than having to wait.

The only thing is that they might reverse the age brackets as the allocation had suggested, so as to vaccinate the most mobile young people. So it'll go

60-69
    50-59
    16-29
    30-39
    40-49

I would hope it is a general age band like that if they're doing it, and not all 55 year olds, all 54 year olds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't know about the hard sell, I think a lot of the misery and despair that many are feeling is because there is no end in sight. For many who aren't in a highly vulnerable group it seems like a vaccine is a million miles away with all this talk of cohorts and various lobbying groups fighting each other.

Being told that we're moving to age cohorts suddenly means everyone can see an end-date in sight, and it's an easy to understand system. No fuming about CEOs handing out vaccines and a perceived "unfairness", just a very simple and easy to understand deployment.

I suspect also that once you get out of the highly vulnerable groups the public is less worried than the media would have you think about groups like teachers being prioritised. People can choose themselves to postpone getting the vaccine if they think others are more deserving.

No scientific basis to the plan. I've followed all the restrictions till now but that's me finished. I will be assessing my own risks from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

shamco wrote: »
    No scientific basis to the plan. I've followed all the restrictions till now but that's me finished. I will be assessing my own risks from now on.

Welcome to the ever growing club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Does this construction include household retrofit projects?.. or is purely ground up houses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

shamco wrote: »
    No scientific basis to the plan.
    We have to be practical. 250k vaccinations a week at peak, which would require an enormous bureaucracy to identify all the members of various cohorts. Added to which the strongest lobby groups will be the ones to get their members to the front of the queue. I'd vaccinate supermarket workers before teachers for example, but that's never going to happen is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

titan18 wrote: »
    Martin's son plays inter county GAA of course. I'd imagine that helps to get them one of the first back. If his son played tennis, that would probably have been first.

Inter county GAA is an elite sport, elite Soccer started back last week.

The 2 are comparable IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would hope it is a general age band like that if they're doing it, and not all 55 year olds, all 54 year olds etc.
    Nah, that would be a mess IMHO. Most individual years would have 100k people or less in them, and we'll be doing 200k+ a week.

And because it's self-signup, the HSE would have to run ads saying, "Next week we are vaccinating people aged 49 and 50. Please go to vaccination.ie and book your vaccination by next Friday". And the following week it's a different ad. Very confusing.

At least, "If you are aged 50 or over on 1st May, you can now book a vaccination", is a bit simpler.

Who knows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Jesus still going on about this . Soccer was back 2 weeks ago. He doesn't have a son who plays that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If they can do them in practice I presume, if not refer onto the hospital clinics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

385 positive swabs out of 14,729 tests. 2.61%

Fab number. 7-day now at 3.28%

That is the lowest daily and 7-day rate in at least 100 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Wasn't expecting that at all . If it coincides with a ramp up of the vaccine we are sucking diesel

Excellent stuff

That's the lowest % for months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mihole: "abedebadeba...in terms of numbers..thats just one day...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

That's some drop-off, wasn't expecting that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This seems like a political reaction to groups campaigning to be prioritized. Doesn't make sense on public health basis when there is different risks in specific jobs. https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1376904289868742662?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Wasn't expecting that at all . If it coincides with a ramp up of the vaccine we are sucking diesel

Schools off for Easter Break. :)

Also keeping golf courses closed will help - lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just need the 9 euro meal now and we will have herd immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Excellent numbers when comparing week on week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    What mess was that?

Can you point to a single case from GAA matches or training last year?

Not after the match or training but thanks to training or matches themselves

But that's the problem.... if there are no matches or training, there is no 'after' risk. If one activity inevitably leads to another, then it is the cause.

If we could open pubs and make sure they all observed the rules and ensured that people didn't drink in large crowds outside them, we would probably be able to have an acceptable reduced risk activity.

But we can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

They're clearly inflating the numbers ahead of the announcem... wait a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

For the swabbers how does that number of tests compare to previous weeks?

Ger Roe wrote: »
    But that's the problem.... if there are no matches or training, there is no 'after' risk. If one activity inevitably leads to another, then it is the cause.

If we could open pubs and make sure they all observed the rules and ensured that people didn't drink in large crowds outside them, we would probably be able to have an acceptable reduced risk activity.

But we can't.

Not a direct cause though

With pubs and restaurants closed the rewards of training will outweigh the risks

Oh ****, here comes the surge.....

• Advertisement

So we’re still going to have a travel restriction that will prevent me from seeing any family or friends...

Suppose it’s to be expected in Europe’s most suppressed nation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement