Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is what people wanted; a plan to show the way out. It may vary but it is a plan.

Yes but that’s not how it works for some.

Poster: All I want is a plan and I’ll be happy

Plan gets issued.

Poster: Thats not the plan I wanted. It’s too vague/slow/doesn’t allow me to do the specific thing I want* (*delete as appropriate)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

when is the press conference
    Have you not had enough?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I wish that he'd included dates or data, but at least we've got some semblance of their priorities, and anyone who thought pubs were on that list needs to stop drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why not much more opening up for those already vaccinated? Open 3 Arena etc for them to have pints served by vaccinated staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Bigly wrote: »
    I appreciate the pile on. All im saying is lots of people are getting it done and if you don't think so you are dreaming. Wouldn't it be better to open them up in a controlled environment?

Are you one of the "lots of people that are getting their hair cut on the sly"? if you are what are you giving out about?

• Advertisement

Benimar wrote: »

Plan gets issued.

Poster: Thats not the plan I wanted. It’s too vague/slow/doesn’t allow me to do the specific thing I want* (*delete as appropriate)
    But now they are complaining about the plan not the absence of one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Benimar wrote: »

Plan gets issued.

Nope. At least attempt to be honest here.

People wanted a plan linked to actual metrics - whether that be cases, hospitalisations, vaccinations or a combination of it all. Instead we got an extremely vague outline of a possible plan, with no metrics to go off.

Why not much more opening up for those already vaccinated? Open 3 Arena etc for them to have pints served by vaccinated staff.

Zero chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

darced wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful, the government is finished.

Agreed - complete incompetence on display again. Let's cram folks into parks for another month and keep golf courses and tennis clubs closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You don't think they've suffered enough without having to pay 6.50 for carlsberg in a plastic pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

But now they are complaining about the plan not the absence of one!

Progress of sorts I suppose :pac:

Eh, it's over 80s!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭appledrop

In terms of travel, is it can travel within your county and if youre on a county border you can go 20kms into the other county, or is it 20km from home OR county?

You can go anyway within your own county not matter how far. 20km as you said is more for people living on county borders so not to penalised them for heading out of county if next one right beside them.

I remember that rule caused a lot of hassle the last time for people on county borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timmyntc wrote: »
    Our health service has not once hit capacity yet. Even in the dreaded christmas surge we didnt run out of beds. The HSE's shambles of a health service is no justification for us committing economic suicide.

Its truely bizarre that this type of utterly idaft comment still seems to attract the same backslapping by the same again and again.

Our health service has not hit capacity simply because both HCWs and others have been working their arses off to make sure it hasn't. All the while dealing with non stop admissions of covid patients for well over a year. And no a few lighthearted Tiktok videos don't change that.

And yes there has been increased capacity with up to a 1000 covid patients being dealt with at a time.

A significant amount of money has been spent on coping with the redeployment of existing healtcare services towards the treatment and management of covid patients and increased real-time ICU admissions.

And yes we have seen a rise in ICU capacity. Available data shows the baseline capacity in ICU increased up to 280 up from 255 in March / April 2020. Afaik the surge capacity for ICU beds stands at approx 350.

It also has to be understood that ICU capacity is not just beds - but also fully trained and available clinical staff, clinical space, clinical equipment, oxygen supply and
    Hospital / Hospital Group / HSE system supports. And yes more ventilators were bought although less invasive oxygen support is increasingly used where possible.

But hey who cares about facts when its easier to score cheap hits with bs like "The HSE's shambles of a health service is no justification for us committing economic suicide"

Ireland haves imposed restrictions - as other countries have who have tried to keep the infection rate down. And yes we've had a progressive build up of restrictions. In part to the huge spike we had over the Christmas period and to deal with the continued impacts of a variant with a much higher transmissibility.

There is no doubt the pandemic has hugely hit our economy and yet Ireland was the only economy in Europe last year which grew.

The sooner we get everyone who needs it vaccinated - then the sooner we can start into economic recovery. It's really not that difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Did i miss it but didn't hear about non essential retail open?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

This 'plan' is contingent on vaccines being available and administered.

Any disruption to supply and it's back to level 5 again, Germany are set to ban AZ for under 60's due to deaths as a result of blood clots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You don't think they've suffered enough without having to pay 6.50 for carlsberg in a plastic pint.

It will get the economy back going

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    This 'plan' is contingent on vaccines being available and administered.

Any disruption to supply and it's back to level 5 again, Germany are set to ban AZ for under 60's due to deaths as a result of blood clots.
    Availability is key, they can administer it very well, high 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Allowing people to meet up in public which has never stopped anyway. It's a plan but it's wishy washy and they want to be able to lockdown again quickly if needs be so always add a bit of fear, a new variant is like a new various, dangerous etc. Keep you all from getting ahead of yourselves. Pubs and restaurants are doomed, that's clear. They may not open again this year by the sounds of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

"Essentially a new virus", eh no it's not, will any media fact check MM?
    If it were "essentially a new virus" then the vaccines "essentially" wouldn't work. But, less than a minute later, he's betting the farm on the same vaccines. Does he think nobody sees through this hyperbole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭appledrop

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Did i miss it but didn't hear about non essential retail open?

No you didn't miss it just very vague that in a few weeks they would look at it but no actual information or dates.

He also eats children.....

And torments small animals............

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Was the country not riddled with the "new" variant in January? If so, it was "new" then but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

I'm just waiting until the current vaccine effectiveness is found to be disappointingly low against new strains. That's the worry. All bets off if that's the case. Two to five years of restrictions may be the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

In this era of spin doctors , media handlers , fondlers and advisors WHY is information ALWAYS released before the Taoiseach makes his official speech to the nation . He is telling us nothing that hasnt already been announced. :confused:
    There is obviously some reason for this .
    Can anyone explain.
    Genuine question. I dont have an issue with the actual information. !

It is a favour to your own tame journalist. Keeps them onside, they get something to print and you can use them again to do a bit of kite flying or get something into the public domain.

For instance say you want to see how a budget measure would go down or perhaps you need to inform the public of something about a party rival or indeed a member of the opposition. Without being seen to do so of course.

And of course this cosy relationship means that questions that would make our politicians life uncomfortable are much harder to ask otherwise one of your colleagues gets the info.

AdamD wrote: »
    Nope. At least attempt to be honest here.

People wanted a plan linked to actual metrics - whether that be cases, hospitalisations, vaccinations or a combination of it all. Instead we got an extremely vague outline of a possible plan, with no metrics to go off.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

lawred2 wrote: »
    ffs

Obesity is the great untouchable topic in society.
    Massively increases mortaility and morbidity from Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

gozunda wrote: »
    Its truely bizarre that this type of utterly idaft comment still seems to attract the same backslapping by the same again and again.

Our health service has not hit capacity simply because both HCWs and others have been working their arses off to make sure it hasn't. All the while dealing with non stop admissions of covid patients for well over a year. And no a few lightheated Tiktok videos don't change that.

And yes there has been increased capacity with up to a 1000 covid patients being dealt with at a time.

A significant amount of money has been spent on coping with the redeployment of existing healtcare services towards the treatment and management of covid patients and increased real-time ICU admissions.

And yes we have seen a rise in ICU capacity. Available data shows the baseline capacity in ICU increased up to 280 up from 255 in March / April 2020. Afaik the surge capacity for ICU beds stands at approx 350.

It also has to be understood that ICU capacity is not just beds - but also fully trained and available clinical staff, clinical space, clinical equipment, oxygen supply and
    Hospital / Hospital Group / HSE system supports. And yes more ventilators were bought although less invasive oxygen support is increasingly used where possible.

But hey who cares about facts when its easier to score cheap hits with bs like "The HSE's shambles of a health service is no justification for us committing economic suicide"

Ireland haves imposed restrictions - as other countries have who have tried to keep the infection rate down. And yes we've had a progressive build up of restrictions. In part to the huge spike we had over the Christmas period and to deal with the continued impacts of a variant with a much higher transmissibility.

There is no doubt the pandemic has hugely hit our economy and yet Ireland was the only economy in Europe last year which grew.

The sooner we get everyone who needs it vaccinated - then the sooner we can start into economic recovery. It's really not that difficult to understand.

The points made in this excellent post have been made at least a thousand times already and it's some indictment that it needs to be repeated again and again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can they give each house a Covid Keyring or something to look forward to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,003 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Have you not had enough?!

I would watch a couple and see will they ask about this "new deadly strain"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement