Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

h2005 wrote: »
    I thought you’re allowed visit parents? I have been anyways.

As in you can travel wherever you want as long as it's to see your parents? I don't think so, but you can travel across county-lines to visit a grave. Or if you've formed a bubble with someone living on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Why do they keep emphasizing golf at these "roadmaps to freedom", as if it were the must-have morsel of freedom the entire population seeks to enjoy; or some barometer of success against COVID-19?

Theyre trying to rehab golf in our minds after golfgate...or maybe rubbing it in cos the edjits got caught by the public? :D

As in you can travel wherever you want as long as it's to see your parents? I don't think so, but you can travel across county-lines to visit a grave. Or if you've formed a bubble with someone living on their own.

Also for caring/health/emergency reasons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why do they keep emphasizing golf at these "roadmaps to freedom", as if it were the must-have morsel of freedom the entire population seeks to enjoy; or some barometer of success against COVID-19?

I feel somewhat the same but there are lots of activities vying for attention. Why are GAA inter County teams getting to train when other sports can't? Why are pubs not opening?
    Everybody has their own priorities. At least let them open the ones carrying less risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Germany stopped AstraZeneca again for under 60's:

"On Tuesday morning hospitals in four German states, including Berlin’s Charité clinic, suspended use of the vaccine on staff members under 60, in particular women, after registering 31 cases of a rare blood clot in the brain among those who had received an AstraZeneca jab.

He added that public trust in the British-Swedish vaccine was likely to be affected negatively after this second halt in its use. A survey last week suggested that nearly a quarter of Germans would be wary of accepting the AstraZeneca jab.

Among 31 German cases of blood clots which lead to its suspension were some 19 cases of thrombopenia, where a lower-than-normal level of blood platelets lead to symptoms including excessive nose bleeds. All but two cases involved women between 20 and 63. The two men affected were 36 and 57 years old
    ."

Irish Times:

"Germany’s Covid-19 vaccination timetable was thrown into disarray yet again after its vaccine commission recommended a temporary halt on the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in people below 60 years of age.

The announcement on Tuesday afternoon followed a similar decision by Canada to suspend the use of the vaccine in adults younger than 55.

Chancellor Angela Merkel held an emergency meeting with state leaders on Tuesday evening to discuss the consequences of the ban. Germany’s health authorities have promised a decision by the end of April about how to proceed with people who are awaiting their second AstraZeneca jab
    ."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I’ve been stopped twice going cross country. Both occasions I said I’m visiting my parents and they just waved me on. I’d rather visit them now than go visit their graves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Its giving nothing really, as its just a walk with lots of stops. But it is very safe on the covid front and doesnt need crowds or closs contacts, so they should be allowed do it. Its not like its a real sport like football or whatever, and surprised that the GAA ones are allowed train so early in the plan as its hardly a national priority or affecting many people really. Id say that one was pulled on Taoiseach's privilege.

VIPIT

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Is level 5 over on the 12th?or just implementing changes to it?

• Advertisement

"On Tuesday morning hospitals in four German states, including Berlin’s Charité clinic, suspended use of the vaccine on staff members under 60, in particular women, after registering 31 cases of a rare blood clot in the brain among those who had received an AstraZeneca jab.

He added that public trust in the British-Swedish vaccine was likely to be affected negatively after this second halt in its use. A survey last week suggested that nearly a quarter of Germans would be wary of accepting the AstraZeneca jab.

Among 31 German cases of blood clots which lead to its suspension were some 19 cases of thrombopenia, where a lower-than-normal level of blood platelets lead to symptoms including excessive nose bleeds. All but two cases involved women between 20 and 63. The two men affected were 36 and 57 years old
    ."

Irish Times:

"Germany’s Covid-19 vaccination timetable was thrown into disarray yet again after its vaccine commission recommended a temporary halt on the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine in people below 60 years of age.

The announcement on Tuesday afternoon followed a similar decision by Canada to suspend the use of the vaccine in adults younger than 55.

Chancellor Angela Merkel held an emergency meeting with state leaders on Tuesday evening to discuss the consequences of the ban. Germany’s health authorities have promised a decision by the end of April about how to proceed with people who are awaiting their second AstraZeneca jab
    ."

Have to say, I'm moving into the territory of "Meh", if I was offered this right now. I know it's fractional and rare, but it's beginning to feel like the 737 Max of vaccines right now to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

So with travel within your county now allowed and also the ability to travel 20km outside of your own county does it not now make Garda checkpoints on the likes of the N4,N11 and N7 useless? (Not that they weren't useless before).

Came across this from 5 days ago. Yes, it was 5 days ago when all and said and done but:

"Dr David Nabarro, the WHO's special envoy on Covid, says Ireland's situation is concerning:"

"I am afraid that we are really starting to get into a serious surge again and Ireland has not escaped this."

It is no wonder our dopey journalists love the surge word, when it's used with abandonment by the likes of the WHo in terms of our current position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

."

Irish Times:

."

Has this issue arisen in the UK? They are presumably far ahead on numbers of this vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

David086 wrote: »
    So with travel within your county now allowed and also the ability to travel 20km outside of your own county does it not now make Garda checkpoints on the likes of the N4,N11 and N7 useless? (Not that they weren't useless before).

No because its from the 12th. These checkpoints are for Easter weekend. They'll be gone after the Bank Holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

David086 wrote: »

Thats only for exercise. Not for visiting or shopping for food somewhere further away just for the crack. So there is still a benefit in curtailing unnecessary journeys.
    And people need to remember, just because stuff is permitted, doesnt mean we have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Some completely stupid things for the coming weeks for us to “follow” until we are “allowed”:

You can walk, sit in a park or on a beach, but not in your front garden with your family or neighbour.

30 kids will pack into a classroom but 3 fully vaccinated seniors or HCWs can’t enjoy a few hours together.

I can click and click pints and cocktails, but not clothes for work or items for home.

You can’t break county bounds, unless you are near them, then it’s grand you can head 20km into the next county, it’s grand Jack. So it’s over 100km in some counties but little to nothing in wee county Louth.

Building a house is safe but expanding a business or one team working in a pod on a commercial project is dangerous.

Vaccines are rolling out at a faster pace, yet restrictions continue? What’s the point in them? (I know what the point is, but give hope).

You can’t get a haircut but people are getting their haircut?

You can get a coffee and stand in a packed queue and sit where you like in a park, but a controlled outside area in a cafe or bar is dangerous but the former isn’t?

—-

Seriously is it any wonder with such absolute rubbish that many have departed away from following the “rules”. No hope given whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fm wrote: »
    Is level 5 over on the 12th?or just implementing changes to it?

It's still Level 5 with adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Is RTE frozen for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Hopefully forever or at least until Covid 19 is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

All irish channels are now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thats only for exercise. Not for visiting or shopping for food somewhere further away just for the crack. So there is still a benefit in curtailing unnecessary journeys.
    And people need to remember, just because stuff is permitted, doesnt mean we have to do it.

Exercise and recreation will be allowed within county or 20km from home. You could always go where you wanted for shopping so not sure what your trying to get at ? If I want to go to the Aldi 20km away over the tesco 4km away for example there's nothing wrong with it, all within regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I have a tiny business and I can't wait to get back to doing craft fairs and the like.

Online is well and good but nothing compares to someone walking by and saying "Oh that's nice, I'll buy that!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I hate the term/phrase roadmap.

Prefer Ordinance Survey maps myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

fm wrote: »
    All irish channels are now

All Irish channels on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That would be everyone FYI

Exactly my point ...

12 weeks left and normality returns.

That, at least, is to be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

12 weeks left and normality returns.

That, at least, is to be celebrated.

Huh? Must've missed that in the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Huh? Must've missed that in the announcement.

The seagulls were shouting over that part

• Advertisement

I have a tiny business and I can't wait to get back to doing craft fairs and the like.

Online is well and good but nothing compares to someone walking by and saying "Oh that's nice, I'll buy that!"

Not nice... but naturally beautiful... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement