Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

12 weeks left and normality returns.

That, at least, is to be celebrated.

Not with this lot in charge.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Huh? Must've missed that in the announcement.

In 12-weeks, the number of vaccinations performed will be so enormous in number that we will be in the position of Israel or the UK.

Restrictions will be lifted.

That's true whether MM says it in a speech or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In 12-weeks, the number of vaccinations performed will be so enormous in number that we will be in the position of Israel or the UK.

You said normality returns in 12 weeks which is the 22nd June, but that won't happen. Hospitality won't be reviewed until July and will be opened slowly according to Leo earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Good to see the numbers down a good bit again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

cjyid wrote: »
    Not with this lot in charge.

Ok, besides your psychic ability to see more of the future than they, who have we that would have done anything different?

Much as I abhor the situation we're in, I ,honestly think it would be the same no matter who made up the government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Of course it makes sense, I can hardly break restrictions down here to play 5 a side football when the facilities are all closed. I will probably go to the gym as well.

I didn't know parks were closed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So apparantly they changed to age based vaccinations because it's too difficult...

But we're gonna have a load of vaccines so why don't they just say "open vaccinations for those in education, then emergency services" etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Any mention of gyms?

You said normality returns in 12 weeks which is the 22nd June, but that won't happen. Hospitality won't be reviewed until July and will be opened slowly according to Leo earlier on.

I disagree.

Once the effects of the vaccination program leak through, this whole 6-week review process will be thrown to the birds.

There will also be substantial political pressure, too - once the favourable numbers from the vaccination process comes forth.

I disagree.

Once the effects of the vaccination program leak through, this whole 6-week review process will be thrown to the birds.

There will also be substantial political pressure, too - once the favourable numbers from the vaccination process comes forth.

Political pressure from whom? There's no opposition in the Dáil or in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

If someone wants to get fat, sick and die then that's their business. One less pension to pay for the taxpayer. Why fight it?

It's society's business because any health problems have to be dealt with in a public health system.
    The spend on obesity is likely to exceed by a multiple any savings on a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Leo not convincing about vaccinations by age

Otherwise good performances from him

• Registered Users Posts: 38,477 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Needed a laugh thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I didn't know parks were closed ;)

I didn't know being pedantic was such a popular hobby for so many here...

I disagree.

I agree with what you are saying but remember the variants

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-current-vaccines-could-be-ineffective-in-a-year-or-less-survey-finds-1.4524153

• 12 weeks left and normality returns.

That, at least, is to be celebrated.

Case numbers will still be high but there is no going back Michael McGrath has just stated. Once businesses reopen. They will remain open.

I disagree.

Well let's come back here on the 22nd June and let's see if we have had a return to normality at that stage. Normality being everything open, no restrictions whatsoever and no masks, no restrictions on travel etc. You reckon this is going to happen??

Just watching prime time, why is Alan Kelly in limerick? A fair bit outside his 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Gone down to a student party.

• Just watching prime time, why is Alan Kelly in limerick? A fair bit outside his 5k

He's a TD..... Fairly essential role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just watching prime time, why is Alan Kelly in limerick? A fair bit outside his 5k

He’s working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Our opposition are useless. Alan Kelly waffling on Prime Time about nothing - trying to blame EU vaccine supply issues on Government, and trying to worm his way out of his Zero Covid stance which he never stopped talking about for the last 3 months.

Well let's come back here on the 22nd June and let's see if we have had a return to normality at that stage. Normality being everything open, no restrictions whatsoever and no masks, no restrictions on travel etc. You reckon this is going to happen??

No, not that much.

Masks etc. will still be necessary.

A new vaccine will be needed to account for new variants. So the pandemic doesn't suddenly disappear, but I am confident that by the end of June, we will have seen the worst of this pandemic - and the worst of Fianna Fail, more importantly.

That's a sword of Damocles I am willing to hang my opinions under. Let's see what transpires.

Depends whom you ask: https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1375200672182853632

There is an unhealthy obsession with variants in the media.

Alan Kelly distancing himself from zero covid.

No, not that much.

A new vaccine will be needed to account for new variants. So the pandemic doesn't suddenly disappear, but I am confident that by the end of June, we will have seen the worst of this pandemic - and the worst of Fianna Fail, more importantly.

That's a sword of Damocles I am willing to hang my opinions under. Let's see what transpires.

When do you think masks will go, if ever?

When you say a new vaccine do you mean a booster shot for those who are vulnerable?

No, not that much.

So we won't have a return to normality in 12 weeks as you claimed: "12 weeks left and normality returns". And now you've changed the goalposts to end of June the worst being over. So which is it, a return to normality or not by end of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Pussyhands wrote: »
    So apparantly they changed to age based vaccinations because it's too difficult...

But we're gonna have a load of vaccines so why don't they just say "open vaccinations for those in education, then emergency services" etc.?

I believe it's because it's just quicker to do it by age.
    Teachers etc may well get the vaccine more quickly if the system in general is running more quickly.

We don't want to be stuck in a position wasting weeks developing and operating systems to handle occupations etc, when we could be just vaccinating people.

Better to have many more people vaccinated than a few select groups. (which in itself, will have some protection for these groups)

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 290 (down from 313 last night)
    ICU 65 (down from 70 last night - 4 deaths)

Last Tuesday
    Total 325
    ICU 76

We're under 300!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Just listened to McGrath state NPHET did not want kids training to resume until some undetermined date in may and then for u/13 only.

So much for doctors thinking about the physical health of our children.

At least the government pushed back on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement