Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

HSE 8pm Report:
    In Hospital: 290 (-23)
    In ICU: 65 (-4)
    4 Deaths in ICU

This time last week:
    In Hospital: 325
    In ICU: 76

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

He's a TD..... Fairly essential role.

Is it, is it really? Limerick on a Tuesday night. Must be making sure he gets all the expenses or he's at one of them student parties I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

McGrath saying any restrictions that are lifted now will remain lifted. Wouldn’t believe that for a second.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So we won't have a return to normality in 12 weeks as you claimed: "12 weeks left and normality returns". And now you've changed the goalposts to end of June the worst being over. So which is it, a return to normality or not by end of June?

My fear is that masks become part of 'normal', that people get so used to them that they think they were always a feature of normal life. I've heard people say 'we'll be back to normal with masks and a bit of social distancing'. That's not being back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

RGS wrote: »
    Just listened to McGrath state NPHET did not want kids training to resume until some undetermined date in may and then for u/13 only.

So much for doctors thinking about the physical health of our children.

At least the government pushed back on this.

Outdoor football/hurling for children will keep our kids healthy - locking them up for a year, will just encourage more bad health beahiour , like I witnessed today with mass teenage drinking and smoking in the sun .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So we won't have a return to normality in 12 weeks as you claimed: "12 weeks left and normality returns". And now you've changed the goalposts to end of June the worst being over. So which is it, a return to normality or not by end of June?

Will things ever return to pre-pandemic normal? Its not often I agree with eskimohunt, but things will be normal enough that almost everyone will be able to get on with their lives relatively unhindered by June. To be honest, after the year we've had, that's good enough for me.

Can anyone explain to me how all kids are in classrooms together but they can’t train together outside yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Is it, is it really? Limerick on a Tuesday night. Must be making sure he gets all the expenses or he's at one of them student parties I would say

Alan Kelly is at a student party? Riiiiight.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how all kids are in classrooms together but they can’t train together outside yet?

Children's education is more important than training. If its a choice between education and training, and thats what it is, then education wins.

The restrictions are about reducing the total number of social interactions. Over a year of this, and we are still explaining this.

Will things ever return to pre-pandemic normal? Its not often I agree with eskimohunt, but things will be normal enough that almost everyone will be able to get on with their lives relatively unhindered by June. To be honest, after the year we've had, that's good enough for me.

Would you be willing to wear masks forever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A lot of people are going to be annoyed with this relaxation because the cases are still high.

The people shouting for level 5 in December.

Leftwaffe wrote: »

Because covid knows that you are playing sport and will transmit more effectively or more than likely nphet haven't a bloody clue so just resort to shut everything down when numbers climb

Children's education is more important than training. If its a choice between education and training, and thats what it is, then education wind.

The restrictions are about reducing the total number of social interactions. Over a year of this, and we are still explaining this.

You are still explaining a stupid rule that stops kids training in non contact pods but can go to school and mix in every green and park in the country. If you are still explaining you're losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Devastating news to put France, Germany and Italy on a quarantine list.

This will surely irritate the EU.

Alan Kelly is at a student party? Riiiiight.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

party animal is Alan promoting zero covid and zero fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

A lot of people are going to be annoyed with this relaxation because the cases are still high.

The people shouting for level 5 in December.

Give over. We never got anywhere near level 5. If it wasn't for the UK variant we'd be well out the other side by now

Children's education is more important than training. If its a choice between education and training, and thats what it is, then education wind.

Would you believe it MrMusician, I actually understand that. It’s all about managing and assessing the risk. Thanks nonetheless.

You are still explaining a stupid rule that stops kids training in non contact pods but can go to school and mix in every green and park in the country. If you are still explaining you're losing.

They'd be allowed to train if the population could be trusted to not mix surrounding things like this, but time and time again we've learned that people do not behave. They let their guard down and do as they please when they think no one is looking.

Stop playing games.

No pandemic ends at a defined date. Stop it. Now.

If in 12-weeks, we are more or less open with masks in certain situations, that is a more than acceptable situation.

That approximates to the word 'normality' more than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is it though. The "new normal" will include longer term masks and social distancing. It's not normal but people will inevitably accept it after the year we've had.

• Advertisement

Stop playing games.

If in 12-weeks, we are more or less open with masks in certain situations, that is a more than acceptable situation.

But it's masks everywhere apart from outdoors. When do you think they'll be scrapped for good?

Would you consider the heavily restricted level 1 normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Stop playing games.

No need to be so angry.

So what you're saying is the "new normal" of ongoing masks, social distancing etc. Most, if not all hospitality will still be closed in 12 weeks.

This is it though. The "new normal" will include longer term masks and social distancing. It's not normal but people will inevitably accept after the year we've had.

According to Dr Mary Ramsay of Public Health England masks and social distancing are low level measures that people have got used to and can live with for years to come. I would say they are extremely high level restrictions. The fact that there's no level 0 in the plan suggests you're right.

thebaz wrote: »
    Outdoor football/hurling for children will keep our kids healthy - locking them up for a year, will just encourage more bad health beahiour , like I witnessed today with mass teenage drinking and smoking in the sun .

So you saw mass teenage drinking and smoking and yet at the same time they have been supposedly "locked up for a year." Which is it?

They'd be allowed to train if the population could be trusted to not mix surrounding things like this, but time and time again we've learned that people do not behave. They let their guard down and do as they please when they think no one is looking.

I have never been at any trianing session for kids where all the parents are mixing. Are you sure you are not mixing this up something else? An outdoor orgy or something?

But it's masks everywhere apart from outdoors. When do you think they'll be scrapped for good?

Would you consider the heavily restricted level 1 normal?

Are you seriously suggesting that we just return to normality on 1 July, not knowing what effects variants might hold?

For God's sake, where is the seriousness here?

I'm an anti-Lockdown-ist by the way. I hate lockdown and hope it is removed as soon as possible.

But the idea that we immediately return to a pre-pandemic situation, as if the pandemic never existed and has no opportunity to re-emerge in some nasty form, is both delusional and almost ideologically driven to the point of naivety.

According to Dr Mary Ramsay of Public Health England masks and social distancing are low level measures that people have got used to and can live with for years to come. I would say they are extremely high level restrictions. The fact that there's no level 0 in the plan suggests you're right.

Mask wearing and social distancing will be the new normal indefinitely, possibly for good.

I see that PCR tests on arrival into Ireland will be needed. Was there any detail given on when they’d be taken (a few hours wait at the airport for a result) or whether you’d be locked up in the hotel if you failed?

That will stop essential as well as non essential travel to Ireland.....no one will risk 14 days detention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mask wearing and social distancing will be the new normal indefinitely, possibly for good.

Social distancing should never be considered normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

If some want to live with their faces covered forever work away but I for one will count the days to burning them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement