Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Are you seriously suggesting that we just return to normality on 1 July, not knowing what effects variants might hold?

For God's sake, where is the seriousness here?

I'm an anti-Lockdown-ist by the way. I hate lockdown and hope it is removed as soon as possible.

But the idea that we immediately return to a pre-pandemic situation, as if the pandemic never existed and has no opportunity to re-emerge in some nasty form, is both delusional and almost ideologically driven to the point of naivety.

Sorry, I thought you meant that you'd be willing to accept mask wearing as a permanent feature of the post-pandemic normal. I didn't realise you meant for a while.

And on the variants the media is obsessed with. Nothing to be concerned about according to Dr Bhattacharya of Stanford University: https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1375200672182853632

Mask wearing and social distancing will be the new normal indefinitely, possibly for good.

Nah

Sure ya couldn’t populate the planet anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

titan18 wrote: »
    Social distancing should never be considered normal.

Or mask wearing but I'd be fairly sure masks will be with us through Winter 2021 and into Spring 2022 at least, of not longer.

Mask wearing and social distancing will be the new normal indefinitely, possibly for good.

Utter nonsense, trying to wind people up.

Masks, in certain settings at certain times perhaps, like in SE Asia since SARS.

If some want to live with their faces covered forever work away but I for one will count the days to burning them.

Same here. It's gives me hope that there are countries such as Australia, in particular, and New Zealand, to a lesser extent, where they have been scrapped (although I don't think the snap lockdown approach in both is sustainable). Emigration will be considered by thousands, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

namloc1980 wrote: »
    This is it though. The "new normal" will include longer term masks and social distancing. It's not normal but people will inevitably accept after the year we've had.

Masks could well be here for a long time, perhaps permanently in some form. In places like Tokyo and HK you would've witnessed mask wearing long post sars. In fact when I was there two years ago, you'd still see some wearing them on public transport.

Social distancing might stay too, but it will be an individual choice (as it always was)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I have never been at any trianing session for kids where all the parents are mixing. Are you sure you are not mixing this up something else? An outdoor orgy or something?

Really? Based on my own experience I`d say you haven`t been at many training sessions if you seriously believe that.

Masks, in certain settings at certain times perhaps, like in SE Asia since SARS.

Voluntary or mandatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Or mask wearing but I'd be fairly sure masks will be with us through Winter 2021 and into Spring 2022 at least, of not longer.

Ya, I can see masks lasting a while unfortunately, although I feel it'll be near impossible to enforce it as a lot will be feck it after vaccination. Social distancing is done for after vaccination though.

And on the variants the media is obsessed with. Nothing to be concerned about according to Dr Bhattacharya of Stanford University: https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1375200672182853632

I dislike what "the media is obsessed with" too.

But there is another thing I dislike just as much - namely, this idea that we can attach ourselves to sources with whom our personal and/or political views happen to align.

That's not scientific. It's not even objective. It's just validation.

It's what humans tend to do, to look for sources they agree with to bolster ammunition against the target they hate. That's just as bad as the pro-Lockdown-ists who over-exaggerate the fear from the virus itself.

What's missing is common sense, moderate, sensible - dare I say, a Scandinavian quality - to how to proceed with this virus and associated crisis.

This divergence to the extremes - whether it's the David Icke nonsense or the equally absurd nonsense of a sudden pre-pandemic return to normality - must be discarded.

The sensible position and path always converge on the middle ground, and the truth too - for that matter.

• Advertisement

You think so? Wait and see.

Ya, I can see masks lasting a while unfortunately, although I feel it'll be near impossible to enforce it as a lot will be feck it after vaccination. Social distancing is done for after vaccination though.

I don't get why they're not voluntary. Compliance is almost 100% anyway and if they were made voluntary it wouldn't drop dramatically.

Social distancing should never be considered normal.

In your opinion. In any case it will be part of the new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Really? Based on my own experience I`d say you haven`t been at many training sessions if you seriously believe that.

At more of them than you have had hot dinners pal, maybe you are mistaking matches for traning sessions. They are 2 different things.

I dislike what "the media is obsessed with" too.

But there is another thing I dislike just as much - namely, this idea that we can attach ourselves to sources with whom our personal and/or political views happen to align.

That's not scientific. It's not even objective.

It's just validation.

It's what humans tend to do, to look for sources they agree with to bolster their ammunition against the target they hate.

That's just as bad as the pro-Lockdown-ists who over-exaggerate the fear from the virus itself.

What's missing is common sense, moderate, sensible - dare I say, a Scandinavian quality - to how to proceed with this virus and associated crisis.

This divergence to the extremes - whether it's the David Icke nonsense or the equally absurd nonsense of a sudden pre-pandemic return to normality - must be discarded.

The sensible position and path always converge on the middle ground, and the truth too - for that matter.

You're right about the Scandinavian quality. They definitely seem to be a lot more relaxed in Scandinavian countries. The quality is similar to the Russian avos', I think.

But I don't see how you can get much better than Dr Bhattacharya. The man's credentials and qualifications are impeccable.

Why not?

Socially distanced concerts, football matches, discos etc? How would that be economically viable for companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The 1 place I see masks might be used (voluntary I mean) is people who do airplane flights. The only other think that might stay is shops/shopping centres may keep using hand sanitizers

The 1 place I see masks might be used (voluntary I mean) is people who do airplane flights. The only other think that might stay is shops/shopping centres may keep using hand sanitizers

As long as it's voluntary then that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How do you expect any business to make money with social distancing? Take a cinema, it's either fill the screens or raise prices. Same with restaurants, bars, stadiums, concerts etc

It's not happening. 99% of people won't consider it normal.

At more of them than you have had hot dinners pal, maybe you are mistaking matches for traning sessions. They are 2 different things.

I daresay I have had a lot more hot dinners than you old buddy. And no I`m not mistaken.

• Advertisement

Which doesn't work in reality.

They state a rule such as "one person must wear the mask whilst the other is eating" - even though they provide the food to all passengers at the same time.

Nobody adheres to the rule. And the staff do not enforce it.

You cannot enforce social distancing on planes. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I purposely avoided most Covid coverage again today

Is the general consensus that NIPHET got everything they wanted? Or were they ignored?

Or somewhere in the middle?

How do you expect any business to make money with social distancing? Take a cinema, it's either fill the screens or raise prices. Same with restaurants, bars, stadiums, concerts etc

I agree with you, but I fear 99% would consider it normal such is the level of brainwashing and normalising of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

And that is your opinion which your entitled to. Doesn't mean you can present it as fact though does it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 290 (down from 313 last night)
    ICU 65 (down from 70 last night - 4 deaths)

Last Tuesday
    Total 325
    ICU 76

We're under 300!!!

Fantastic to be under 300

RIP to those who've died

Maybe in a queue but anywhere else not a hope

They will have to learn to change their behaviour.

And before I forget to say, shame on Michael Martin for - yet again - referring to the variant as a "new virus".

Shameful. Really shameful behavior.

Which doesn't work in reality.

They state a rule such as "one person must wear the mask whilst the other is eating" - even though they provide the food to all passengers at the same time.

Nobody adheres to the rule. And the staff do not enforce it.

You cannot enforce social distancing on planes. Period.

Never said a rule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I daresay I have had a lot more hot dinners than you old buddy. And no I`m not mistaken.

I prefer salad not a fan of hot food, you should change clubs if that is what is going on at your training sessions. Blatant disregard for ridiculous regulations..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement