Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

And that is your opinion which your entitled to. Doesn't mean you can present it as fact though does it ?

Come back 12 months from now and we will see who is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As long as it's voluntary then that's okay.

You could not do it as a rule in an airplane 3/4 of the plane would be empty

You think so? Wait and see.

You’re just on a wind up and having a bit of a laugh at the people who are biting!

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I purposely avoided most Covid coverage again today

Is the general consensus that NIPHET got everything they wanted? Or were they ignored?

Or somewhere in the middle?

NPHET person (can not remember his name) was asked asked he it was broadly similar but did not say anymore

You could not do it as a rule in an airplane 3/4 of the plane would be empty

While I agree with you, what gives you grounds for such optimism? Most people have shown they'll do and put up with anything and everything.

It's like when people say 'there'll be uproar if they keep the country locked down until then'. But they never say where that uproar will come from. From the media? Nope. Political pressure? Nope. Ireland is unique in the world for having zero media or political opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

NPHET has widespread public support, up to 90% approval ratings. The public want the restrictions to remain in place.

This is what the public wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In your opinion. In any case it will be part of the new normal.

It will, but it won't be mandated. It will just be that a significant minority (and it will be a minority) will just decide to exclude themselves from situations where they could end up in large crowds. And they might not do it all the time - perhaps just choosing where it is possible, going to the quiet pub over the busy niteclub, picking the table at the end of the restaurant, getting the bus off-peak or keeping distance at the supermarket checkout.

Behavioural scientists say it takes three months for a new behaviour to become embedded, how long has this been going on?

I agree with you, but I fear 99% would consider it normal such is the level of brainwashing and normalising of them.

Companies want to make money they would never make money that way. They may have hand sanitizer at the door but not else. The only thing to come as a new normal is work may become more flexible on how people can work. People and companies will go back to there only thinking of themselves mentality

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Fantastic to be under 300

RIP to those who've died

While I do not want to be a downer and lower numbers are great it the 7 or 14 days you should look at as daily number will fluctuate

Companies want to make money they would never make money that way. They may have hand sanitizer at the door but not else. The only thing to come as a new normal is work may become more flexible on how people can work. People and companies will go back to there only thinking of themselves mentality

But if shops insisted on them people wouldn't stop going to shops. Likewise with restaurants. People would put up with wearing them until seated. I detest them, but I see no evidence to suggest people wouldn't put up with them.

Why makes you think they wouldn't make money that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Hi, does anybody have information on the amount of people that have been vaccinated with Astrazeneca and the total number of deaths reported after receiving it?

I've been trying to find this info but no matter how hard I try all I can find are articles explaining how safe it is and how nothing proves that deaths are linked to the vaccine. I find it mad, with the tones of data that we have on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

While I do not want to be a downer and lower numbers are great it the 7 or 14 days you should look at as daily number will fluctuate

Surely not as relevant when many patients have been there for weeks, it's not like daily cases etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 290 (down from 313 last night)
    ICU 65 (down from 70 last night - 4 deaths)

Last Tuesday
    Total 325
    ICU 76

We're under 300!!!

On February 22nd when it was decided nothing would be eased other than schools reopening

In hospital 726
    In ICU 154

The current declining numbers in hospital has been a key metric towards the plan of easing restrictions from April.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

It will, but it won't be mandated. It will just be that a significant minority (and it will be a minority) will just decide to exclude themselves from situations where they could end up in large crowds. And they might not do it all the time - perhaps just choosing where it is possible, going to the quiet pub over the busy niteclub, picking the table at the end of the restaurant, getting the bus off-peak or keeping distance at the supermarket checkout.

Behavioural scientists say it takes three months for a new behaviour to become embedded, how long has this been going on?

Social distancing has been advised since Feb 2020. Mask wearing in shops etc. was made mandatory in August as far as I remember although many of us had been wearing them anyway for long before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

But if shops insisted on them people wouldn't stop going to shops. Likewise with restaurants. People would put up with wearing them until seated. I detest them, but I see no evidence to suggest people wouldn't put up with them.

You know there is mask thread....?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You know there is mask thread....?

Just me or the other posters who mentioned them as well?

While I agree with you, what gives you grounds for such optimism? Most people have shown they'll do and put up with anything and everything.

It's like when people say 'there'll be uproar if they keep the country locked down until then'. But they never say where that uproar will come from. From the media? Nope. Political pressure? Nope. Ireland is unique in the world for having zero media or political opposition.

MONEY CAPITALISM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Social distancing has been advised since Feb 2020. Mask wearing in shops etc. was made mandatory in August as far as I remember although many of us had been wearing them anyway for long before then.

My question was more of a rhetorical one. But yes, this has been going on long enough to elicit permanent changes in the behaviour of some individuals that will not revert. And this will be their choice.

????

You were talking about social distancing

NPHET has widespread public support, up to 90% approval ratings. The public want the restrictions to remain in place.

This is what the public wants.

According to the ESRI behavioural economist on newstalk this morning, that 90% has fallen to about 50:50 based on ESRI surveys

• Advertisement

Surely not as relevant when many patients have been there for weeks, it's not like daily cases etc?

Oh sorry thought it was daily cases then realized they were over 300. My mistake. Yes hospital numbers under 300 is great

According to the ESRI behavioural economist on newstalk this morning, that 90% has fallen to about 50:50 based on ESRI surveys

That's a huge drop. That's why I'm always wary of polls. There were YouGov polls in the UK for months which showed extremely high levels of support for even harsher restrictions than a complete lockdown (how you get harsher than that, I'm not sure). And today there was a poll which showed that only something like 23% of people still think covid is a serious threat.

????

You were talking about social distancing

Sorry, confused the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Mask wearing and social distancing will be the new normal indefinitely, possibly for good.

How could anyone think this on the same day we've been told that vaccinated people can meet indoors without masks? :confused:

Just me or the other posters who mentioned them as well?

I totally agree that we should be wearing masks, when they became mandatory though I didn't see any change in numbers, I am not talking about cases, I am talking about supermarket staff cases, they handle every item that a customer has, and a customer handles every item they have. Surely superspreaders, it hasn't been the case, from what I can see supermarket staff are less likely to have covid than the general public, this was the case premask and after mandatory mask wearing, the conclusion I take is that contact in a high ceiling, well ventilated for less than 10 minutes is low risk, handling products that someone infected is very low risk. Either way we will all be wearing masks for the foreseeable and I agree with it, just surprised at the lack of noticeable difference when it was introduced

How could anyone think this on the same day we've been told that vaccinated people can meet indoors without masks? :confused:

Because it will become the new normal here as it has for Asian countries due to other flu etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Because it will become the new normal here as it has for Asian countries due to other flu etc

Social distancing is not normal in Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Limited to two and visiting in their own homes. Not sure many people wear masks in their own homes as it is anyway. Vaccinated people still have to wear masks out and about in shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Germany and France have apparently suspended the AZ vaccine for under 60s.

• Advertisement

That's a huge drop. That's why I'm always wary of polls. There were YouGov polls in the UK for months which showed extremely high levels of support for even harsher restrictions than a complete lockdown (how you get harsher than that, I'm not sure). And today there was a poll which showed that only something like 23% of people still think covid is a serious threat.

Yeh, but this is the ESRI behavioural science unit, not a newspaper poll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement