Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wish i could feel as positive as you 2

With the constant shifting of goalposts by NPHET and the never ending Variants talk it's hard to see any accelerated lifting of restrictions. This whole 'you act to fast we will be in danger of another wave' thing is putting stop to that

Vaccine in both supply & effectiveness needs to stay onside for us, the last thing we need is a hiccup which will set us back.

I think we need a plan like the UK has with metrics and different scenarios and not this 'wait and see' approach

The government make decisions not NEPHT. The variants are very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Completely unexpectedly, the teachers have questions about the new age defined vaccination plan!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0331/1207115-ireland-education/

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how all kids are in classrooms together but they can’t train together outside yet?

How is it still news to some that to allow some "riskier" activities to continue decisions are made to prevent some less risky ones to offset the effect?

The most effective single measure to prevent spread would have been to shut down the hospitals, if control of spread was the be all and end all.

Now having said that, currently I don't see any significant risk in allowing outdoor training

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I'd expect that they are looking at the overall situation, rather than just part. If you have lots of kids at training, then you will have loads of parents at training. I'd say it's more the parents that are the problem. As one team departs a pitch, another team comes on. There will likely be 'hiya - I haven't seen you since Christmas' with this crossover.

Probably - On the pitch is relatively safe. Access in/out is less safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

is_that_so wrote: »
    Completely unexpectedly, the teachers have questions about the new age defined vaccination plan!

Watch as the government bend to the will of the teachers and change the rollout plan yet again. Couldn't be having powerful groups who thought they would get it before the plebs pushed back into the queue with everyone else.

EDIT: Oh and don't forget the guards, prison officers and other lobby groups who will want the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

Tbh, I agree with them. Why should a healthy 50 yr old who works from home get it before a 30 yr old who works in a higher risk environment, whether that is a classroom, a garda or anyone else who comes in contact with the public on a dialy basis.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

oceanman wrote: »
    look at it it this way guys.....in a few short years we will look back and say do you remember covid 19...it will just history, time marches on.

In a few short years, we'll more likely be saying "What the **** were the government doing, and why are we now paying for their mistakes with another recession?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Elessar wrote: »
    Watch as the government bend to the will of the teachers and change the rollout plan yet again. Couldn't be having powerful groups who thought they would get it before the plebs pushed back into the queue with everyone else.
    That article is mostly about Gardai. It's all just divide and conquer, deflect from their ineptitude with infighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Why do they keep emphasizing golf at these "roadmaps to freedom", as if it were the must-have morsel of freedom the entire population seeks to enjoy; or some barometer of success against COVID-19?

Because it’s no more risky than a public park, it has been closed here longer than any other country in the world and is played by over 200,000 adults in the Republic. Bizarre altogether that it was ever closed - seems to be more to it than the science.

Elessar wrote: »

EDIT: Oh and don't forget the guards, prison officers and other lobby groups who will want the same.
    I don't think they will. It's a far simpler system and used pretty much everywhere else. Outside of the key groups, none of the rest of us are that special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I don't think they will. It's a far simpler system and used pretty much everywhere else. Outside of the key groups, none of the rest of us are that special.

The INTO are militant when it comes to industrial action. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they come out and say they are refusing to return after the Easter break unless they are prioritised on the vaccine rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

I must say it's one of the few decisions they made that I agree with. Why should a 22 year old teacher get a vaccine before a 52.year.old teacher . Why should a 22.year old Gardai get a vaccine before a 52 year old shop assistant when the 52 year old is at much more risk of a poor outcome..

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The INTO are militant when it comes to industrial action. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they come out and say they are refusing to return after the Easter break unless they are prioritised on the vaccine rollout.
    At the rate we are going they wouldn't be getting shots till June anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

prunudo wrote: »
    Tbh, I agree with them. Why should a healthy 50 yr old who works from home get it before a 30 yr old who works in a higher risk environment, whether that is a classroom, a garda or anyone else who comes in contact with the public on a dialy basis.

If it's one thing this pandemic has taught us, it's that pretty much everyone who works is contributing something. This crap being peddled of "I'm a teacher so I'm a frontline worker" is a load of BS. Join the queue like the rest of us workers. You're no more important than I am, and I work in a factory with over 100 other people five days a week. The only difference is I've lost one third of my wages in the last year, whereas you're untouched. Get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

quartz1 wrote: »
    I must say it's one of the few decisions they made that I agree with. Why should a 22 year old teacher get a vaccine before a 52.year.old teacher . Why should a 22.year old Gardai get a vaccine before a 52 year old shop assistant when the 52 year old is at much more risk of a poor outcome..

I agree , its much fairer .A 38 year old teacher or cafe worker or shop assistant or truck driver should all get it at the same time .Although I do think that teachers in special needs schools should be an exception .

If it's one thing this pandemic has taught us, it's that pretty much everyone who works is contributing something. This crap being peddled of "I'm a teacher so I'm a frontline worker" is a load of BS. Join the queue like the rest of us workers. You're no more important than I am, and I work in a factory with over 100 other people five days a week. The only difference is I've lost one third of my wages in the last year, whereas you're untouched. Get on with it.

But thats my point, not sure on your age but you should get it before an older healthy person who works from home and doesn't come into contact with many people, bar on their trip to the shops.

At the rate we are going they wouldn't be getting shots till June anyway.

Absolutely but it's clear the teacher unions want teachers to be seen as special and to be put back into their own cohort again under the revised rollout. It's all about the optics.

But thats my point, not sure on your age but you should get it before an older healthy person who works from home and doesn't come into contact with many people, bar on their trip to the shops.
    The problem with that is you've now loaded about 3 layers of admin on top. A simple question identifies a cohort.

The problem with that is you've now loaded about 3 layers of admin on top. A simple question identifies a cohort.

Oh i agree, its been done for an easy life for the department, just appears that they're changing the goal posts on where the risk is again.
    I understand the older you get the more at risk of hospitalisation but at the same time it is also dependent on work circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

More in absolute numbers or as a percentage of their population?

Both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oh i agree, its been done for an easy life for the department, just appears that they're changing the goal posts on where the risk is again.
    I understand the older you get the more at risk of hospitalisation but at the same time it is also dependent on work circumstances.

It is so much easier to go by age and we need speed and access and not layers of admin . Log in , book online with a PPS number and date of birth and go where told and job done . Otherwise its a muddy mess and far to admin heavy

With the expected increase in vaccine supply it makes much more sense to move to a simpler based rollout. If the supply remained limited then yes you need to target specific groups, but the expectation is that most adults will get a shot by the end of June so building a complex series of cohorts to appease various lobby groups would be a waste of time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Kiith wrote: »
    In a few short years, we'll more likely be saying "What the **** were the government doing, and why are we now paying for their mistakes with another recession?".

You can add to that;
    Why did we screw our aviation, hospitality and tourism industries so badly compared to most countries?
    Why were we one of the few countries in the world and the last not to reopen construction leading to emigration of labour, lack of supply and increased housing costs?
    Why did we kill so many small retailers by keeping them closed unnecessarily meaning business is lost to Amazon and the likes?

The level of taxation and reduction in public sector salaries and services coming down the line does not bare thinking about....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It is so much easier to go by age and we need speed and access and not layers of admin . Log in , book online with a PPS number and date of birth and go where told and job done . Otherwise its a muddy mess and far to admin heavy

This approach will stand up to scrutiny if and only if the promised supply levels materalise. If we get a repeat of the last two months then there's little justification for this approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Golfman64 wrote: »
    You can add to that;
    Why did we screw our aviation, hospitality and tourism industries so badly compared to most countries?
    Why were we one of the few countries in the world and the last not to reopen construction leading to emigration of labour, lack of supply and increased housing costs?
    Why did we kill so many small retailers by keeping them closed unnecessarily meaning business is lost to Amazon and the likes?

The level of taxation and reduction in public sector salaries and services coming down the line does not bare thinking about....

So what you are saying is that the medicine we used was different to that used by others and in fact it was a poison....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Golfman64 wrote: »
    You can add to that;

this government does not have the stomach for that fight

dream on

And anyway monetary policy has moved on since the puritanical "manage your household" budget type thinking of 2008/2009. There will be massive public investment backed by the ECB after this.

The US and UK are already leading in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

So what you are saying is that the medicine we used was different to that used by others and in fact it was a poison....

I suspect that the poster's "kill retailers" comment is a reference to "businesses that died" rather than a government policy to murder small business management with poison disguised as a vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Good news that Covid hospitalisations are now below 300. You wouldn't think it listening to all the negativity from RTE this morning. "High numbers", "4th Wave" all repeated in the 7 am morning news. And then they had a list of union reps lined up to argue against the vaccination by age change announced yesterday.

One can only hope that the actual 4th wave is actually a bye-bye wave to RTE in their current format, because they are pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone have the hospital numbers from last night/ this morning?

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Good news that Covid hospitalisations are now below 300. You wouldn't think it listening to all the negativity from RTE this morning. "High numbers", "4th Wave" all repeated in the 7 am morning news. And then they had a list of union reps lined up to argue against the vaccination by age change announced yesterday.

One can only hope that the actual 4th wave is actually a bye-bye wave to RTE in their current format, because they are pitiful.
    If it was all positive news they'd have very short shows! Natural to get responses to it especially from those whose nose has been put out of joint by the news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement