Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

Your bizarre.

Thats a no then I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Does anyone know the difference between controlled and uncontrolled diabetes 2? My husband regularly has readings of between 8 and 10 on his monitor and I can't work out what this means regarding the guidelines the HSE have given. If any of our knowledgeable posters can help I would be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So what’s the point vaccinating so if that’s your logic.

To break the chain of transmission while also protecting the people that do get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Your bizarre.

What a childish response

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Thats a no then I take it

You’d be taking it wrong then. I replied to a one dimensional argument with a 1D answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The vaccines are up to 90% effective so at best 10% of cases will require hospitalisation even after everyone is vaccinated.

You're after embarrassing yourself with that comment there now. First of all 10% of cases aren't even hospitalised now but somehow you think it'll jump to 10% after people are vaccinated :confused:

Most studies I've seen has shown vaccines are almost 100% effective at avoiding severe disease, which would mean next to zero hospitalisations and deaths in the vaccinated population. I guess you could call this best case scenario.

Worst case scenario is that of that 10% it says the vaccine is ineffective for, the normal percentage of this group will end up in hospital as the unvaccinated, that's still a 90% drop in hospitalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Does anyone know the difference between controlled and uncontrolled diabetes 2? My husband regularly has readings of between 8 and 10 on his monitor and I can't work out what this means regarding the guidelines the HSE have given. If any of our knowledgeable posters can help I would be very grateful.

You could ask on the dedicated thread here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056196895

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes it reads that way to me too. Those are in relation to healthcare provision.

At some stage, NPHET or if NPHET disbanded, the CMO, will have to be sidelined if we are to get our liberties back. Someone posted a press conference of Tony Holohan in 2011 doing a flu press conference. I don't want to see us banning mass gatherings in winter from now on due to flu/Covid prevalence in the community. There has to be a balance between infectious disease control and living our lives at some stgae.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

funnydoggy wrote: »

Allegedly:

Members of ISAG were found out to have been spreading fear in order to get their spoke in and have some position of power. Their campaign is an agenda hiding behind the veil of "concern".

Not sure what to believe personally, but I'm slightly leaning towards the latter.

Leaked emails have all been verified as true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandwellbeing/arid-40255286.html

Parents have been saying this for weeks
    Kids need to be measured for shoes and shoe shops opened for them
    It could easily be done by appointment

As somebody with leg and foot problems as a kid and still as an adult...I absolutely agree good fitting footwear is not a thing for internet shopping and could cause problems downstream. They need to be opened in some sort of fashion right now both for kids and adults including elderly people with gait problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It is based on the Hb1AC blood test reading not on daily monitoring on his machine

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Klonker wrote: »
    You're after embarrassing yourself with that comment there now. First of all 10% of cases aren't even hospitalised now but somehow you think it'll jump to 10% after people are vaccinated :confused:

Most studies I've seen has shown vaccines are almost 100% effective at avoiding severe disease, which would mean next to zero hospitalisations and deaths in the vaccinated population. I guess you could call this best case scenario.

Worst case scenario is that of that 10% it says the vaccine is ineffective for, the normal percentage of this group will end up in hospital as the unvaccinated, that's still a 90% drop in hospitalisations.

Read the comment I replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

seamus wrote: »
    If you start trying to break down pharmacy staff by "those who need to be vaccinated and those who don't", then you will slow things down by a few weeks while pharmacies compile those lists.

Instead you just go and vaccinate the whole pharmacy. There will always be outliers like this.

We have to remember: Do not let perfect be the enemy of good.

A vaccination programme that only vaccinates everyone with exactly the appropriate level of priority will take many times longer to complete than one which makes a best-effort attempt to vaccinate according to broad groupings.

Great line. I will use it wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Leaked emails have all been verified as true.

I had thought that but wasn't sure.

Another reason why I dislike these people. And to think I was pals with them on Twitter last summer.

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes it reads that way to me too. Those are in relation to healthcare provision.

At some stage, NPHET or if NPHET disbanded, the CMO, will have to be sidelined if we are to get our liberties back. Someone posted a press conference of Tony Holohan in 2011 doing a flu press conference. I don't want to see us banning mass gatherings in winter from now on due to flu/Covid prevalence in the community. There has to be a balance between infectious disease control and living our lives at some stgae.

It’s up to the government to regulate what happens in this current crisis they have used NEPHT as top cover that why we are were we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Your bizarre.
    You’d be taking it wrong then. I replied to a one dimensional argument with a 1D answer.
    Read the comment I replied to.

Mod

Improve the standard of your posting please.
    ShyMets wrote: »
    What a childish response

What, and thats much better? Report and ignore, if you cannot remain civil yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandwellbeing/arid-40255286.html

Parents have been saying this for weeks
    Kids need to be measured for shoes and shoe shops opened for them
    It could easily be done by appointment

Children's shoes to be added to essential retail list.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/new-announcement-sale-of-childrens-shoes-5397166-Mar2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Decent GP referral numbers - big drop from yesterday.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-03-31_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thank you . About time , my daughter had issue trying to get a first shoe for a toddler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It can't be the effect of the schools closed anyway, schools have no effect on transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Great to see, hopefully its a trend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

It can't be the effect of the schools closed anyway, schools have no effect on transmission.

Are you sure?

Sarcastic comments will be met with beatings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Far too early for schools being closed to have had an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Could them have come up with a name that doesn't read as

Tomorrow Scare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The vaccines are up to 90% effective so at best 10% of cases will require hospitalisation even after everyone is vaccinated.

That is.........not how the numbers work

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

This is what goes on both sides, you have to also question what agenda had the source of these leaks. When isag members are plonked up against someone like John McGurke it’s inevitable that they find themselves stooping to those levels.

Watch the international segment of channel 4 news and then switch to RTE the difference is staggering RTE don’t even cover some stories, like the closer of the German polish free travel land border, why because it directly contradicts what they’ve been saying here about the north.

You are not trying to compare the German/Polish border to the IRL/NI border? Not to put words in your mouth but basically saying if they can shut the former they can shut the latter? That's so simplistic, the differences are massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I had a test yesterday . Place was empty

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

There is no proper modelling data because of the langar holding the government has been doing for the last 15 months. The government are to blame for the situation were in not NEPHT. It deifies logic why people don’t recognise this, Rte politicians on the other hand are more than happy to let others know ale the flak.

Wrong.

Efficacy of 90% means 10% of a vaccinated population could catch covid, all the evidence except for one debunked trial of astrazeneca in SA have shown that all the vaccines against all the variants are fully effective at preventing hospitalisation and death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Far too early for schools being closed to have had an impact.

I would still expect a drop as you might have less people calling because they are concerned as their child didn't leave the house, or they might decide to ride the sniffles a day or two since there is no risk of infecting other children in the class. But yeah it probably doesn't explain the drop in the "most likely covid case" metric

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement