Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

donalsim wrote: »
    That's only 45,000 a month average, NPHET are forecasting 96,333 a month average

15% of the country pcr infected in 178 days

Nowhere in the world has had that confirmed infection rate

No because no government wouldn't intervene if that infection rate go so bad. Also the public would start taking their own precautions and this limit the spread. It's a model, it's shows worst case scenario, which would never be reached. But it's used as a comparison between, in this example different r0 and how it's impacts numbers. Some people see r1.0 and then r1.5 and assume it's just 50% more cases a day etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's only 45,000 a month average, NPHET are forecasting 96,333 a month average

15% of the country pcr infected in 178 days

Nowhere in the world has had that confirmed infection rate

And of course you do realise why the projected figures were averted. Does it have to be restated or do we accept that you're just banging the old drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

AdamD wrote: »
    For what it's worth - Twitter's refusal to show a chronological timeline also caused this, the other tweet was nowhere to be seen on my timeline..

Anyways, seems i've caused outrage, with you and nobody else.

The reporter should have used: Tweet 1 of 4; 2/4; 3/4; 4/4 if he was composing a thread of linked stories. With this method, anyone that sees a tweet in isolation would know that there was more to the story. As an RTE correspondent, he should be more aware of potential 'taken-out-of-context' issues. The reporter's fault. No one else's.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The reporter should have used: Tweet 1 of 4; 2/4; 3/4; 4/4 if he was composing a thread of linked stories. With this method, anyone that sees a tweet in isolation would know that there was more to the story. As an RTE correspondent, he should be more aware of potential 'taken-out-of-context' issues. The reporter's fault. No one else's.

It's the reporters fault people are lazy?

I'd like to see you live-tweet something and use 'Tweet 1 of 4' etc. He was tweeting in real time of Philip Nolan giving his presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Nphet look worried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Faugheen wrote: »
    It's the reporters fault people are lazy?

I'd like to see you live-tweet something and use 'Tweet 1 of 4' etc. He was tweeting in real time of Philip Nolan giving his presentation.

Well then maybe he should not be live tweeting everything, should he? It's a common thing to see on twitter. Maybe he should be more focussed, listening properly and asking important questions - and then tweet in a proper capacity later.

But then, it's all about getting the headline out first nowadays. For the retweets, like. And people still expect high standards!

His fault, no one else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭techdiver

Whilst people admonish posters for commenting on a single tweet it must be noted that RTE's report regarding the NPHET briefing was 100% negative and did not address any positives.

The crux of the report was of people are bold we will have Christmas numbers again. The usual platitudes were used by George and Co, precarious, hold firm.

The comment of "another 4 - 8 weeks" doesn't hold much weight with me either as we have missed every vaccination milestone thus far (supply issues aside milestones were missed).

I fully expect the next set of milestones to be also missed and for the goalposts to be moved again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Given the seasonal nature of covid last year, last year being the only real example, the statistics modelling may be way off.

Wonder what parameters were considered..

Vaccinations
    Natural immunity
    Seasonal reduction in numbers.

Or just the potential exponential growth factor.

What are the % figures in relation to asymptomatic spread v symptomatic.

Personally in no mad rush to escape lockdown. Lucky enough for me it's not too bad. Still the info tonight seemed a little heavy and the intent repetition about statisticians being involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You still have supply, logistics, ramp up, production lines, new raw material sourcing if needed, protocols all kinds of hurdles?

If a variant was discovered tomorrow that beat all vaccine's, infected by N protein not spike or something.

It takes 3 -4 weeks to find a winning formula?, would it be in arms to all vulnerable in this country in 3 months?

The test mRNA vaccines were spun up in a weekend when the genome was released...

No change really in the process or materials, its just a different RNA/DNA sequence which is artificial anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Seriously annoyed with myself tonight for watching RTE News , God almighty they give us one day of positivity then they knock us down again the next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

And all those who work in the events and wedding industry. Its very difficult to have your livelihood decimated. A lot of people forget about this when they dismiss the wedding related queries.

Yip. I'm in the wedding business. I think decimated means 1 in 10 so I'd go with the word annihilated (not trying to nitpick at your post btw just trying to give folks a picture of how bad it has been).

I very much appreciate Zara asking questions and hope she continues to do so.

Couples have very much lowered their expectations in terms of guest numbers compared to most of last year. Even an increase to 25 would save most of the dates remaining on my 2021 calendar. I think 50 would save all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I wont go down this rabbit hole, but the use of twitter to report on COVID in this country is pretty shocking. We are in a world where most people (obviously not you) absorb their news in soundbites. Our journalists, FB included, are after only one thing, and that is being first to the punch. They shirk their journalistic responsibility in the race to hit send. They might add some context later when they get chance.....that is secondary to the tabloid headline.

have little respect for any of them, Bowers, Lee, any of them

The back slapping between them is nauseating. Some of them, the Virgin TV lot in particular, consider themselves 'names' now as if they're all on CNN with their pal Donie. Mortifying stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

My daughter and myself will be part of the positive swabs tomorrow . After me giving out about cases and lockdowns for months :)

My daughter and myself will be part of the positive swabs tomorrow . After me giving out about cases and lockdowns for months :)

I hope you are both ok .

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Best wishes.

Any idea where you picked it up? Don’t answer if you’d rather not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

If memory serves, I don't always agree with your posts but I hope you both are asymptomatic and ok

Any idea where you might have got it?

I'm working from home since March 2020 . It must've been the creche . No other child there has been unwell though .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm working from home since March 2020 . It must've been the creche . No other child there has been unwell though .

Hope you have a mild dose and recover soon

Will they test the other kids in the creche?

Not sure . I've been on here regularly saying contact tracing for creches and schools are intentionally going by different rules than others

The HSE are due to call me within 2 days . Will be interesting if they are close contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

France with a hard lockdown. Schools the main reason why its happened it seems. Hopefully we can avoid a 4th wave here.

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1377324709696655374

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Not sure . I've been on here regularly saying contact tracing for creches and schools are intentionally going by different rules than others

The HSE are due to call me within 2 days . Will be interesting if they are close contacts

Do the creche know?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Do the creche know?

Rang them asap . Construction being shut down means I've been living with the folks waiting on my house to complete . Not ideal but what can you do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

B117 + Schools = Sh1tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I wont go down this rabbit hole, but the use of twitter to report on COVID in this country is pretty shocking. We are in a world where most people (obviously not you) absorb their news in soundbites. Our journalists, FB included, are after only one thing, and that is being first to the punch. They shirk their journalistic responsibility in the race to hit send. They might add some context later when they get chance.....that is secondary to the tabloid headline.

have little respect for any of them, Bowers, Lee, any of them

Too many of them hooked on Twitter now. They have forgotten that it's a minority of the population on the platform and it's like a haven for older folks who probably monitor the likes more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

wadacrack wrote: »
    France with a hard lockdown. Schools the main reason why its happened it seems. Hopefully we can avoid a 4th wave here.

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1377324709696655374
    Do we not have to come out of wave 3 to have a wave 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Irish Times - "Outbreaks among schoolgoers more than doubled last week".

"New data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) show 49 outbreaks among schoolgoers compared with 22 the week before. The surveillance centre report notes that these outbreaks are associated with school children or school staff and transmission of the virus within the school has not necessarily been established."

Always a bit slow to accept that transmission can take place in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WWEfansince90s

Wait they actually said ‘hold firm’!! I honestly thought that was just a cliche at this stage - but no it’s on the RTE news headlines!!’

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Russman

Best wishes with it, hope ye’re both ok. As someone mentioned above, despite all the back and forth on the threads, it’s all just meaningless opinions, nobody wishes this on anyone in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

All the best for your recovery sweet.science

• Advertisement

Wait they actually said ‘hold firm’!! I honestly thought that was just a cliche at this stage - but no it’s on the RTE news headlines!!’

My knuckles are white and numb at this stage from holding firm . Doubt I can hold much longer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement