Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Well if you're going to put an IT system together in a rush this sort of thing will happen.

Roll on the age based cohorts. Simpler, easy to understand, less open to abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭Dickie10

hospital numbers begining to drop like a stone the last week to 10 days, thats factoring in paddys day. that should be coming through by now in figures , only 64 in ICU tonight. shows vaccines are working. for the first time ever , NYPHET and the gang are right, if we keep this tight for 6 weeks and everyone lets easter come and go , by end of may we have all over 60s vaxxed, you will see tiny hospital numbers and noone in ICU. then open things up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

hmmm wrote: »
    Well if you're going to put an IT system together in a rush this sort of thing will happen.

The occupation argument is over now, I hope. Sinn Fein trying to make capital from it has been terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The occupation argument is over now, I hope. Sinn Fein trying to make capital from it has been terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

This is obviously the reason why they’ve implemented the age-based vaccination programme, because they made a total boll*x of the other way.

Knew it was something dodgy, nothing at all to do with this jargon that politicians have been spitting all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Obviously it will depend on what's revealed.
    It was pretty self evident the HSE would be vaccinating anyone on any sort of their payrolls.
    Stratification by frontline, patient contacts, key roles would have taken ages.

The discussions taking place today have given me the feeling that many would rather to have the vaccine distribution in perfect order than administer the vaccine.

If the time taken to prioritise tasks is longer than doing the actual task then just do the tasks.

So, yeah going to say it. I've no problem with a hse employee who's working from home getting the jab. Fine tuning eligibility to that ridiculous degree would have delayed the key staff in getting theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is simply no way to verify credentials in a hurry, is a simple case of either choosing speed or accuracy, and I guess speed was deemed more important. It was hoped also that people wouldn't abuse such a system. Such belief in civic mindedness is at best naive, we do after all live in a country full of selfish pricks. If the past year has thought me anything, it's that.

It must surely be an offence to misrepresent yourself to the state. Anyone that made a false declaration to skip the queue should be punished and punished severely, like €5k min fines severe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    This is obviously the reason why they’ve implemented the age-based vaccination programme, because they made a total boll*x of the other way.

Knew it was something dodgy, nothing at all to do with this jargon that politicians have been spitting all day.

It's just a pity this wasn't presented and explained truthfully rather than a quick decision made that has the look of broken promises for non healthcare front line workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

So did they build a new system from scratch for the vaccination program or are they utilising an existing system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Turtwig wrote: »
    Obviously it will depend on what's revealed.
    It was pretty self evident the HSE would be vaccinating anyone on any sort of their payrolls.
    Stratification by frontline, patient contacts, key roles would have taken ages.

The discussions taking place today have given me the feeling that many would rather to have the vaccine distribution in perfect order than administer the vaccine.

If the time taken to prioritise tasks is longer than doing the actual task then just do the tasks.

So, yeah going to say it. I've no problem with a hse employee who's working from home getting the jab. Fine tuning eligibility to that ridiculous degree would have delayed the key staff in getting theirs.

My read of it, and hopefully I’m wrong, is that people in the general public, were able to access and get jabs.

Edit: re read it, I’m wrong thankfully.

• Advertisement

There is simply no way to verify credentials in a hurry, is a simple case of either choosing speed or accuracy, and I guess speed was deemed more important. It was hoped also that people wouldn't abuse such a system. Such belief in civic mindedness is at best naive, we do after all live in a country full of selfish pricks. If the past year has thought me anything, it's that.

Depends very much on who had access. Surely most staff have ID and a staff number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

h2005 wrote: »
    Depends very much on who had access. Surely most staff have ID and a staff number?

Not all healthcare workers work for the HSE and not all are registered. A care assistant that acts as a contractors is a healthcare worker but wouldn't have a professional registration or staff number. There is no centralised register of HCWs

We wouldn't needed a system (like a national ID system) that tied people to their occupation set up and running long before covid for this to work and prevent abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A website allowing for everyone to register for a Covid vaccine will be available within two or three weeks, the Taoiseach has told the Dáil.

The portal will be available to allow everyone to apply from mid-April or the third week of next month, Micheál Martin told Deputies.

He said the aim was to have 80 per cent of the population vaccinated by the end of June, and not just offered the vaccine.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/everyone-will-be-able-to-register-for-their-vaccine-jab-on-new-online-portal-by-third-week-of-april-taoiseach-40260994.html

I can see this website crashing the first day it launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

When they say 80% of the population vaccinated by the end of June. Do they mean 80% of adults or 80% of the entire population?

I can see this website crashing the first day it launches.

Guaranteed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    When they say 80% of the population vaccinated by the end of June. Do they mean 80% of adults or 80% of the entire population?

wondering that myself if it's 80% Adults than what about the other 20% ?

We need to reach that target either way, no bs or pissing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

PTH2009 wrote: »

Are the adults who they can't get the vaccine eg. pregnant women (unless they have changed that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Polar101

4 million tests is a failure.

800 000 tests per million people, or 80% of the population.

I think once the initial difficulties were overcome, testing has been the one thing that's worked great. It's quick to get a test (and results) - even when close contact testing had to be suspended during the Christmas chaos, almost everyone who needed a test still got one.

I'm sure someone will say "but country X has tested x more people", but I still think there's little to complain about the actual testing in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

George Lee will have a lot to answer for after this is all over. He has now made it abundantly clear why he left politics so quickly after he was elected as a Fine Gael politician - he realised that he would never have as much power over people as he did as a journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Guaranteed

To be fair, the likes of Disney had crashes, when their new Marvel shows dropped on Disney plus, with plenty of other example of large well funded companies having the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ugh.. Not looking forward to seeing what hames of an IT system would appear. Probably requires a MyGodID or somesuch bollocks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

PTH2009 wrote: »

It’s only a single dose too isn’t it?

Still good but no way we’re reaching it on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Given the seasonal nature of covid last year, last year being the only real example, the statistics modelling may be way off.

Wonder what parameters were considered..

Vaccinations
    Natural immunity
    Seasonal reduction in numbers.

Or just the potential exponential growth factor.

What are the % figures in relation to asymptomatic spread v symptomatic.

Personally in no mad rush to escape lockdown. Lucky enough for me it's not too bad. Still the info tonight seemed a little heavy and the intent repetition about statisticians being involved.

Seasonality doesn’t exist.
    Natural immunity didn’t make a difference in Brazil.
    Ireland doesn’t test asymptomatic people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ugh.. Not looking forward to seeing what hames of an IT system would appear. Probably requires a MyGodID or somesuch bollocks :(

Well be proactive then, register for mygov now while the system has low users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Very interesting paper in bmj. Covid is going to have a compounding effect on the already dysfunctional health system.

Three major findings were found in this large study examining post-covid syndrome in 47 780 patients admitted to hospital with covid-19 in England, matched to controls. Firstly, admission to hospital for covid-19 was associated with an increased risk of readmission and death after discharge compared with individuals with similar personal and clinical characteristics in the general population over the same period. After admission to hospital for covid-19, 29% were readmitted and 12% died within a mean follow-up of 140 days. Secondly, rates of multiorgan dysfunction after discharge were raised in individuals with covid-19 compared with those in the matched control group, suggesting extrapulmonary pathophysiology. Diabetes and major adverse cardiovascular event were particularly common, whether incident or prevalent disease. Thirdly, the absolute risk of death, readmission, and multiorgan dysfunction after discharge was greater for individuals aged 70 or more than for those aged less than 70, and for individuals of white ethnic background than non-white individuals. Compared with outcome rates that might be expected to occur in these groups in the general population, however, younger patients and ethnic minority individuals had greater relative risks than those aged 70 or more and those in the white ethnic group, respectively.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1377413231027744780?s=20

Except for facts. Where last week over 6,500 tests following contact tracing in 257 schools found only a 1.9% positive rate. That’s less than 1 in 50 children or teachers who have been exposed to a confirmed case going on to test positive.

But everyone should plough on and make themselves feel better about themselves by piling on the 10% of the population who have 10% of cases

Why don’t we put all the airport passengers into the schools so and they all be fine.

So did they build a new system from scratch for the vaccination program or are they utilising an existing system?

The HSE don’t have an existing system that why we all will have to register on the new website. Now it would make sense to use the dsp pps data but that why there not doing it, it makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭prunudo

Seasonality doesn’t exist.
    Natural immunity didn’t make a difference in Brazil.
    Ireland doesn’t test asymptomatic people.

Seasonality in the sense that during the winter more people are indoors in badly ventilated spaces. Immune system is lower during the winter months too. Last summer because everything was closed, people were meeting up outside so this probably helped in suppressing spread too.
    In Ireland, we can't wait to get outside when the weather improves, in warmer countries they tend to shelter indoors from the sun, often in air conditioned buildings, may explain the contuined spread (amongst other things) in countries like Brazil.

George Lee will have a lot to answer for after this is all over. He has now made it abundantly clear why he left politics so quickly after he was elected as a Fine Gael politician - he realised that he would never have as much power over people as he did as a journalist.

And he could continue to eat babies....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

prunudo wrote: »
    Well be proactive then, register for mygov now while the system has low users.

But doesn’t that require you to have a public services card which means a face to face interview with someone from social welfare to verify you are who you are.

Despite the fact that someone may already have a passport and a drivers licence and a PPSN and have been paying tax here for decades. https://psc.gov.ie/how-to-apply/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement